Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Budweiser Select 55 | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Light Lager

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.

Added by jsh420 on 09-09-2009

1.62/5  rDev +1.3%

Helluva review right beneath mine - go read that one instead. This is less a beer and more a beer substitute - meaning you’re drinking this for reasons other than wanting a beer.

My buddy summed it up and set my expectations accordingly - it’s beer-flavored seltzer water of which you can drink an entire six pack and land on the same caloric intake as a can of Heady.

Decent palate-cleanser if you’re not feeling like water for whatever reason. Surprisingly nice toasted malt aroma. Cereal, cardboard and wimpy hops. Drinks like seltzer water the rest of the way.

3.25/5  rDev +103.1%

I just started drinking this beer and love it. It is perfect for my demographic, which is 40+ years old that likes to drink multiple beers a day and has a sedentary desk job. If I kept drinking the hi call, hi alcohol beers for another decade it would probably leed to one less customer 6ft under the ground. I feel like this is helping me get a bit of my edge back and keeping with an active life. I did a taste test of 7 different super light beers at a time. My wife wasn't so thrilled to see me sitting at the table with 7 open beers in front of me, but I talked her into the tasting. She did not like the bud55 so much, but preferred mic ultra which is about double the call and alcohol. I think I liked but55 the best. It is a bit like seltzer water with a mild beer flavoring. We also did mil64, becks64, amber ultra, ultra, yuengling light and bud platinum. It was amazing how much sweeter the higher alcohol and call beers tasted compared to bud55. But all things are relative in life, where those probably taste watery compared to some of the heavy craft beers. After that comparison I can see why diabetics care so much about the low carb beers.

If you are having a single beer a week, this beer isn't for you. But if your getting a bit older, enjoy beer a lot, are starting to not be able to see the seat belt under your gut, and want to stay active in the game of life, then you may want to give this one a try. My new favorite.

3.53/5  rDev +120.6%

Good palette washer in between

1.69/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

1.85/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

1.68/5  rDev +5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

1.91/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.18/5  rDev -26.3%

1.5/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

4.76/5  rDev +197.5%

This isn't standard or strong beer, so most regular beer drinkers can't be expected to like it. I usually drink wine, and I like the light, clean taste; the fizz; the light body; and the low alcohol. And I love that it's the lowest-calorie beer I can find AND it's not hard to find, as Miller 64 is. It's a great thirst-quencher for summer. You can have more of them. What's not to like?

1.11/5  rDev -30.6%

While my rating on this beer is very low my review will be a little different. The look, smell, taste, and feel are all very unimpressive. All that being said this isn't a beer that is trying to look like anything spectacular or taste spectacular either, this is a low calorie low carb beer. Is it watery and almost completely flavorless? Yes it is for sure but for me it is perfect for going out or having a big get together. I really love stouts Founders Breakfast stout is my favorite beer I've had, but the calories in that beer is around like 240 so this is a lot easier on the gut. Overall this beer is watery and pretty flavorless but for what this is it is perfect and while I don't 100% enjoy it, I drink it for the lower calories and carbs and reach for a stout only once in a while now.

2.21/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

1.75/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.59/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.25/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.25/5  rDev -21.9%

1.64/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

2.35/5  rDev +46.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Very light yellow color with quickly disappearing white cap.

Light scent of grain with the barest hint of malt.

It really taste more of carbonation though that's probably more of an impression than a taste. Slight grain flavor.

Texture is of heavy carbonation.

I offered this to another for a second opinion and was told it taste like seltzer water. It does have a bit of grain and malt but you really have to search for them. It's a 55 calorie brew for those who want the minimum number of calories.

1.92/5  rDev +20%

Very watery, only good for day drinking. Honestly, I would rather just drink water or soda than too much of this.

Using the Begnel formula, the Alcohol Score is 12 oz. x 2.4% = 28.8, or .57 Bud Lights.

1.64/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

1.94/5  rDev +21.3%

Sampled last weekend on 3/4/16. Paid $1.00 for this brew I never had that was found in the discount bin. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "BUDWEISER" thumb-print goblet glass.

Look of OK but the aroma and taste wasn't nothing to get excited about by any means. Guess if you are trying to count calories or whatever this brew might be for you. If you are looking for any taste instead of a watered-down light brew then this isn't for you either. Overall, a one time thing for me and now I know why it was in the mark-down discount bin.

Budweiser Select 55 from Anheuser-Busch