Budweiser Select 55 | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Light Lager

Select 55 is brewed with specialty malts and a blend of imported and domestic hopping. Select 55 has a light golden color and offers aroma notes of toasted malt and subtle hopping.

Added by jsh420 on 09-09-2009

Liked:
1.6/5
40%
Alströms:

1.63/5  rDev +1.9%

Pale fizzy yellow. Almost non existant scent and taste save for some faint kiss of cooked corn. Bubbly and uber light. Lifeless and uninspired, the weakest alcoholic beverage I have ever sampled. But when faced with this or other BMC Light products, maybe its almost better to not have anything to smell or taste or digest.

1.75/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Another one I drank as part of losing a bet. Clear bottle poured into straight pint glass. I honestly try to find something positive about every beer I try, but even I couldn't find one nice thing to say about this puppy. Clear, urine color. No grain or hop scents. Almost zero flavor. The same amount of body as a glass of water. Water has a higher level of drinkability because it's not pretending it's not water. Only drink if you lose a bet.

2.09/5  rDev +30.6%

Picked a bottle of this at Liquor Barn, it's one of those brews that I know I'll never buy a 6 pack of, but want to try for some stupid reason. 12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear light gold color with about a 1/4 inch white head that went away very quickly. There isn't any lacing left on the glass. Aroma is a bit of sweet malt, and not much else. It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't exactly smell appealing either. The taste is pretty much just like the aroma. It tastes like a bit of sweet malt, but there aren't any offensive flavors. Mouthfeel/body is light and watery, but that's to be expected for this style of beer. It's really not hard to drink at all. I was expecting the worst when I tried this brew, but I was pleasantly surprised. I hate to admit this, but if someone gave me a bottle of this, I'd drink it (not that I'll ever buy this again). I've certainly drank worse beers. I'm not saying this is good, but for a 55 calorie light lager, it's a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

1.4/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Continuing on my quest to taste some of the Bottom of the List beers after a Memorial Day Weekend of superb quality brews.

A- Poured from the clear 12oz bottle to a pint glass with a translucent, pale golden body. A white cap begins to form atop the beer but fizzes out just as fast to a tiny ring. No lacing.

S- Opens up with some grain, corn and yeast notes here but fades after about two or three sips to almost nothing. Some lager yeast and adjunct funk comes out with warming.

T- Beyond the actual seltzeresque flavor of carbonation there is a faint note of corn, lager yeast, bread and light fruits.

MF- Perhaps the thinnest and most soda-like feel I have found in a beer so far. Somewhere between seltzer and soda with a watery texture. Carbonation very high and it burns the palate as there is no texture to smooth it out.

This doesn't offend me with bad flavors but it offends me because there is nothing here in flavor or body. I suppose that might be a result of stripping almost all calories out of the brew but it is not good in any way. Just a strangely unique yet terrible mouthfeel as well, it feels as if the beer was never on the palate after a sip.

1.3/5  rDev -18.8%

A 55 calorie beer? Wonder what kind of trainwreck this will be?

Pours a dark golden color with a one-finger head into my pint glass. Looks to be highly carbonated. Dull presentation.

Aroma is full of grainy malt and nothing much else. Sweet and similar to NA beer.

Taste is grainy and watery with only a hint of adjunct and an unpleasant, slightly-metallic taste in the middle.

Carbonation is similar to that of soda or NA beer. Unpleasant lingering taste. Watery

Avoid like the plague. This is just overkill and the very reason why AB/InBev is cannibalizing itself in the name of profits. They just don't understand that it's not calories but rather carbs. Waste of money.

1.81/5  rDev +13.1%

Crystal clear and a darker yellow (almost gold) than I expected. A fizzy white cap disappeared shortly after the pour, leaving nothing on the sides of the glass. Light grainy aroma, faint apple, slightly vegetal - not much to talk about really. Low bitterness, minerals, cereal grains, metallic and watery finish. Thin bodied, sharp carbonation, super dry. Sort of tastes like carbonated water with a little bit of flavour added. Not much point here, as I expected - time to move along.

2.75/5  rDev +71.9%

2.06/5  rDev +28.8%

Poured from can into pint glass

I have always wondered what these super low cal beers tasted like, so when I got this one for 50 cents with an expiration date of 2/2013 I thought it was time to bit the bullet and try one.

Appearance –Pours a medium golden color with a big billowy white head. The head fades very fast to leave almost no lacing.

Smell- The smell is a bit offensive and consists of rice, paper, metal and a very light corn.

Taste – The taste is overall very light (not too surprising). It starts out with a light bready and corn flavor. Some rice comes to the tongue more toward the middle along with a light paper taste. These flavors take the taste to its end where a tiny amount of citrus and tin comes to the tongue. In the end the tastes leave a watery and decntly clean feeling on the tongue. It was quite a bit more easy drinking then I would have expected.

Mouthfeel – As expected it is quite watery with a medium level of carbonation. The watery nature is very appropriate for the very light beer style as it makes it very drinkable and refreshing, but a slightly higher carbonation may have suited the brew slightly better.

Overall- While expecting the worst, it really was not much different than the standard light beer (maybe just a little less flavor). If you are really concerned about calories (well you probably aren’t if you reviewing big beers on BA), then this may be a good option, but if like me you want something with a bit more robust flavor, then leave it on its own.

1.56/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Very light yellow beer, tons of clarity and filtering going on. White head that is fizzy and disappears into the nether realms of diet beer.

Smell is faintly recognizable as a AAL. A little bit sweet, like that kind of canned corn they seem to add sugar to (creamed corn?).

Taste? Like Mr. Tekagi: "WHAT taste?" Slightly sweet, very watery, very thin. No hopping, just comes off as seltzer water. Really feels like they thought Bud Light was too thick and strong, so they added some club soda or 7up to it.

They should ship this stuff out next time there is a hurricane or no running/safe water, this will probably hydrate you moreso than give you a buzz. Actually, this might be good for when you have to stop drinking, but you don't want a headache from your body wanting more, this might satiate it in like a methodone/heroin kind of way.

I guess the upside is also that it has no off flavors. But then again, its hard to have off flavors when you don't have "flavors".

This beer made Jon Spencer Blues Explosion "Flava" pop in my head "Who gots tha flava?" Not bud 55.

2.79/5  rDev +74.4%

12 oz bottle courtesy of johnmichaelsen, as a gag, brought back from Arizona, where it's apparently being test marketed. Poured into a nonic, Select 55 is clear straw yellow with a small white head, creamy skim but leaving scattered lace.

Smell is grainy, a bit strong for such a light beer.

Taste is vapid and watery, like seltzer. Not grainy like the nose, or really like anything. Totally neutral, which I assume was their goal.

Mouthfeel is dry, crisp, and light.

Drinkability is, well, like seltzer. Sure I could chug this like water, but why would I want to? At only 2+ % ABV, it's not even worth the effort as an alcohol delivery device.

1.75/5  rDev +9.4%

1.83/5  rDev +14.4%

12 oz bottle poured into an American Tumbler Pint. Born on 08OCT09.

A - Pours a decently golden yellow color. Clear and effervescent, the white head disappears instantly. I expected it to be almost clear in color.

S - An initial burst of sulfery skunky aroma comes out. At this point I'd just stop but I'm never going to buy this beer again, so let's go. It disappears in favor of an insanely light rice aroma. Almost indistinguishable as a beer aroma-wise.

T - A bit sulfury and very watery. Almost no real beer flavor. Actually, if the skunked flavor wasn't there, there would be no flavor. haha.

M - Thin, watery, and sharply carbonated. As close to water as you'll get. In fact, have a Perrier instead.

D - Why would you ever want this? A pointless beer geared to guilt-filled individuals who lead horrible lives if their beer drinking comes to this...
At less than 4% you'd be bloated from drinking this before even feeling a slight buzz, but I suppose, as water, it's drinkable.

1.28/5  rDev -20%

This beer pours a clear golden color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes within ten seconds into absolutely no lacing. I don't think I have ever viewed a beer with this little lacing. I mean usually there is at least a tiny ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass, but not in this beer. It really doesn't look like a beer. The aroma seems to have gone where ever the head did. That is to say it smells like water....upon closer inspection there is a little something there making it smell more like tainted water. Truly awful. It would be better if it just didn't have a smell. The taste is like carbonated water. The mouthfeel is the thinnest I have every encountered in a beer which makes sense being that this beer is only 55 calories, and a mere 2.4% ABV. I can handle the thin body, but this beers under carbonation is a huge detractor. I never thought I'd say a beer brewed by Anheuser-Busch is under carbonated, but this beer truly is. There is some carbonation to it, but not enough for a light lager. Overall, this is a really bad beer. I will never drink this again.

1.28/5  rDev -20%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

1.03/5  rDev -35.6%

This to me is one of the worst beers of all time. I grabbed this because it was on sale for 3 dollars (that should have screamed to me that it was terrible) and I poured it into a regular pint glass. The beer poured a boring piss yellow and the smell was just a tiny bit of something and water. The taste was not there, you get a little malt, but other than that not much at all. The mouthfeel is like highly carbonated water. I couldnt stand it so it went down the drain, as well as the other 5. Dont buy this beer, it is terrible.

1.25/5  rDev -21.9%