O'Doul's | Anheuser-Busch

O'Doul'sO'Doul's

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

Added by kbub6f on 08-29-2002

Reviews: 168 | Ratings: 563
1.85/5  rDev -17%

Appearance: Pale golden, with nice head of off-white suds that dissipates quickly. Almost no trace of lace, oddly.

Aroma: Creamed corn. malts, typical American Adjunct Lager. Blah.

Taste: Malty, grainy, sweet with virtually no detectable trace of any hops at all. Not offensive, per se, but gives definition to the descriptive term given to me by a friend from Germany, “beer-flavored water”. Absolutely no character or taste. Not a winner.

1.83/5  rDev -17.9%

Snagged a botte the other day because it was a dollar for the single and I thought it was a great idea. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a hazy golden color with a fizzy white head that settles quickly. Lots of visible carbonation.

Standard BMC lager aroma here. Corn and that beer aroma that you would associate with the big guys. So well all know how adjunct lagers kind of suck by nature. And how light lagers tend to suck even more by nature. Just make those suck a lot more and this is what you've got. Flavorless swill is all I'm drinking right now. There is a very faint sweet corn flavor and it's a little bitter to the end but this is just no thrills at all.

Standard feel here. Light body with lots of carbonation. The problem is I can taste it when it's in my mouth.

Seriously, I want my dollar back.

1.8/5  rDev -19.3%

12 ounce can poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a light, very light, pale yellow with a white head, no head retention, lots of carbonation, no lacing, very clear, lightest and clearest looking beer I've ever seen.

A: Sweet corn, malts, very light, hint of honey, overall very bland aroma.

T: Sweet corn, malts, horrible aftertaste of cardboard, very little flavor, I'd rather be sober than drink this and be sober.

M: Light bodied, easy drinking, but no enjoyable.

O: Not worth it, if I am going to be sober I would avoid this. I have no idea why anyone would want to drink this it's like a light adjunct lager that is really light.

1.8/5  rDev -19.3%

I wanted to try this, honestly I expected a lot worse. This brew wasn't overly tasteless. It tasted like most American Lagers do. It has a golden yellow color, has the flavor of a regular pale lager. Surprisingly enough this beer is a pretty good choice for someone who can't have much alcohol. For me though, I won't need to seek this out again unless it's for a prank on someone or something like that.

1.78/5  rDev -20.2%

I actually didn't buy this with any intention of drinking more than a single bottle of the six pack. I buy non-alcoholics specifically for the purpose of cooking with them, so I won't have to sack something I'd rather drink. If you must drink it, however, you could do a lot worse. It's certainly drinkable, which is what you're really looking for in a non-alcoholic anyway. A friend of mine claimed it tasted like "watered down weasel piss," which is probably a fair assessment, but unfortunately that's just enough to make it one of the best of it's kind.

1.77/5  rDev -20.6%

I figured it was around time to review a N/A beer. Had this at my girlfriends family Halloween party. Not sure if any of them actually enjoy this, or if someone is an alcoholic...

Yes, I poured this into a can, and yes my girlfriends family thought I was insane. Color is piss water, and not piss water after you've been backpacking all day and your dehydrated, piss water after a long night of drinking...yea...the clear kind. This is more clear than it is yellow. Actually does have some head to it, with sad - but noticeable retention. I actually see a tiny bit of lacing.

The nose is very grainy. I think...possibly...I can detect some sort of hop addition here. Maybe not, maybe I'm smelling the person next to me's beer. This is almost like Miller Lite, in that it "smells like real beer." That line cracks me up.

The taste is uber light, watered down, what have you. Very grainy (comparitively speaking) with a light hop-like flavor. Thats about it, nothing to talk about.

Mouthfeel is light, no kidding. A reasonably high carbonation leads to a crisp bite in the mouthfeel, and it finishes clean. This is definitely drinkable, but I don't know that I could ever drink this often.

I see this beers better qualities. It does have some flavor, and it does do some characteristics good. I can't imagine it's easy (but I really don't know so I could be wrong) to make a N/A beer. I see this brew for what it is. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

1.75/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a clear yellow brew with lots of carbonation.

Smell is just a little grain smell, not good or bad.

Taste is pretty watery and a little sour. No hop flavor detected.

Mouthfeel is weak, fizzy water.

Drinkability is watery, better than some NA beers but, not quite as good as a Budweiser.

1.75/5  rDev -21.5%

Come on... COME ON! Why am I even reviewing this? I bought a six pack for my pregnant wife because she missed her beer so much. I figured, "what the hell" I may as well see what it tastes like so I drank one. Geez. I would describe it as a potion of 78% Bud Light and 22% water. It's more watered down than any light beer I've ever had. Natural Light could kick this "beer's" ass.

In all fairness, though, it IS a nonalcoholic beer. It would be like buying a Yugoslavian compact car and expecting Corvette performance. I guess it fulfills it's purpose. If you're a pregnant woman with no other option, a raging recovering drunk, or a tutu-wearing fourth-grade girl.... This is the beer for you.

1.73/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Very pale color that is very clear. It did have a good head.

Smell: Pretty bland. Some very mild malt smells, but not much to speak of.

Taste: Very bland. Frankly, it tastes kind of like water.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery.

Drinkability: While this might not be the worst thing in the world, I just kept asking myself: What's the point? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the taste of beer, but if it's not getting me somewhat buzzed, I just don't see the point. For pure taste, this isn't bad; for beer, I wouldn't drink it again.

1.7/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured clear yellow with a medium-sized, white cap. Aroma is watery and nearly nonexistent. Reminded me of shredded paper. Flavor is again, very watery with a light, sweet graininess. Body is ridiculously light and the carbonation was spritzy. Hey, if I try it I will review it.

Can.

1.67/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12 oz green bottle.
Crystal clear, light gold colour with a quickly dissipating cap of white foam. A thin collar is supported by a constant stream of bubbles, seems highly carbonated, and there was a bit of transient lacing. Strong aroma of cooked veggies, very sulfury, quite unpleasant. Low bitterness with a sticky malt sweetness. Not much in the way of flavour beyond sharp mineral notes at the end. Light bodied and dry, watery and thin, with lots of carbonation. I didn't expect much and I wasn't surprised. I don't ever expect to have this again.

1.66/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a very light straw yellow color. One finger white head shows medium retention leaving a small collar on the beer itself. Very light streaks of lace on the sides of the glass.

S- Sweet bready malts and cereal grain. Not much else really going on here that I can tell. It's not really appealing to me although I didn't expect it to be.

T- Sweet bready malts in the front of this clashes with a cereal corn off flavor. Alcohol like flavor comes in but it also coats the tongue in a weird flavor I can't place my finger on. Light hop flavor on the backend with a hint of metallic tinge toward the final ending.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style I suppose. Sweet malts and cereal grain left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly sweet hints of malts and alcohol (which there is so little) along with cereal grains. Light drying on the palate but it's not from the alcohol. Metallic off flavors which are common in a lot of BMC products I know. Flavors are balanced for the style.

D- This beer is not bad for what it is suppose to be. My palate though after first sip started to feel this weird numbing feeling which is why I rated it as low as I did. Not a beer I want to visit again but glad I tried it at least once.

1.66/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance - Pale clear yellow. Short soapy white head that dissipates quickly. A little flat looking, but otherwise appears to conform to standard.

Smell - Mildly offensive. (Possibly skunked, but all of the O'Doul's I've had have the same odor.) Not really a beer odor. Maybe some lemony hops.

Taste - Not nearly as bad as it smells. Very light. Malt flavors are practically undetectable. Just the slightest taste of citrusy hops at the finish. Comperable to a squeeze of lemon juice in a carbonated water. Not exactly disgusting, but this could be much better.

Mouthfeel - Very light, watery. Carbonated bite. Appears pretty standard.

Drinkability - The style is insipid and the beer is nothing special. I guess one could drink this if one had to, but I don't.

1.63/5  rDev -26.9%

Appearance is that of tap water. Aroma contains a skunkiness usually only encountered in Mexican beers – some hops and some malt.
Initial taste is that of a watery barley. One gets the impression of beer from this N/A “beer” but there is total lack of flavor and complexity.

1.58/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I can't believe I'm drinking this, let alone giving it a rating. I have been banned from alcohol due to medications. I can have one beer per day however. Anyway I thought this was a way to cheat and at least pretend I am drinking real beer.

A light pour with a head that dissipates quickly. A good amount of carbonation releasing from the bottom. Kind of tinny after-taste which disappears after a few sips. The head re-appears after some prompting, as it should. Not many flavors to report... maybe a slight sweetness with a semi-dry finish.

1.55/5  rDev -30.5%

O'Doul's Premium Non Alcoholic Brew pours a pale straw with a fizzy white head. no surprises here. it's darker than water, but lighter than piss. the head disappears in seconds.

smells of grainy adjuncts. there is a light pilsner-like malt presence, and nothing else. there may be a slight floral hop note, but it's indistinguishable.

tastes heavy with cereal, light bready malt (very light), and a confusing aftertaste. it's watery, light, and what little flavor present is off-putting.

mouthfeel light, highly carbonated.

even though i have reason to believe that this bottle was skunked, i couldn't or wouldn't willingly drink this again. it's too bad that alcoholics have to deal with this sort of punishment. yugh! im going to pour this out and grab a Bigfoot

1.52/5  rDev -31.8%

Eeeeek ghaaad.... The things I do for you guys....I've had this in the past but had to get it on tap to review for you guys as I feel its my duty. Chili's in westwood had this on tap for a short time and I'm reviewing this off notes, it still raises hairs. poured a flat super clear light golden color with high carbonation. I thought it smelled like a wheat festival. I know what this beer is trying to be but it is awful at acheiving any taste or body that is interesting at all. Drinkability is low as well because its not interesting in th least....no thanks.

1.5/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz green bottle. 0.5% abv.

Clear, light gold color. Head looks like styrofoam and leaves nothing on the glass. I grew up on a farm in small-town Iowa..along with the usual raccoons, possums, and other pests..I have shot & killed plenty of skunks in my day. This beer brings me back in time.. while the skunk smell slowly fades, it turns into a mostly grainy, bland, corn-husk aroma. The taste is fairly clean, while succeeding in having almost no flavor whatsoever. Like water with beer flavoring...I struggle to drink this before it gets any warmer.

I question why anyone would actually purchase this product (and admittedly, I've never understood the point of N/A beer). If you're the designated driver, then drink fruit juice, pop, water...anything...i mean, why this? Luckily, this one was free.

1.47/5  rDev -34.1%

Pours too big a head out of the bottle, like a heavily processed head-like aglommeration. Color is the usual Budweiser pale straw. Can't pick up odor at all, but I guess no smell is better than a bad smell, so extra points there. Taste seems sometimes nonexistent, sometimes like some mutant strain of sugar, and where the hell are the hops? That six of Clausthaler I had is really starting to look much better, in retrospect. Gassy as any other AB product.

1.45/5  rDev -35%

There simply isn't much to be said about this low alcohol beer... It's as clear as it gets, as pale as it gets. No other nose than boring cereals, carbonated water taste with an unpleasant aftertaste This is foul, devoided of taste, perhaps one of the less tasty beers I've ever had. Must avoid.

1.44/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

i really don't understand the point of non-alcoholic brew, but i'll try anything, so here goes: actually poured a nicer colour than expected. still piss yellow all the same but slightly deeper than the standard a-b piss yellow. that's the only thing going for this one, which isn't very impressive. the green bottle brought the exoected skunky flavouring, which prevailed over any other tastes here, which were pretty much non-existant save for a slight hint of maltiness every now and again. watery, watery, watery. not very enjoyable. kinda like (bad) beer flavoured seltzer water.

1.43/5  rDev -35.9%

Appearance: There was a quick dissipating head that was very disappointing to see; however, there was ample carbonation and a decent color that fit the brew.

Smell: This beer had a tinge of skunky smell that was a severe disappointment.

Taste: Surprisingly, not as bad as the smell, but not great either. It was very bland.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation was this beer's saving grace; however, like many large distribution beers, this beer tasted watered down.

Overall: This was my first low alcohol beer and my expectations were somewhat met concerning it. The biggest disappointment was the smell. The greatest attribute was the heavy carbonation which successfully served as a helpful reminder that you were drinking a beer, despite its low alcohol content.

1.43/5  rDev -35.9%

Pours a light fizzy yellow color w/ a sliver of a white head. Looks like soda to me. Nose is corn, grain, and malt. Very weak, and really not much there. Taste is mainly grain, with weak malt. Very weak, and fairly horrid. Feel is undercarbonated, fizzy and horrible aftertaste. Ugh. Overall, I wouldn't recommend anyone try this, unless you enjoy the style.

1.43/5  rDev -35.9%

This was my first and only non alcoholic beer ever. I just can't justify this over water. It looks ok with a yellow color and faint tan head. Neither the nose or taste are anything worth while. Bland bitter grains. The body is light and fizzy like soda. I really will never drink this again.

1.43/5  rDev -35.9%

sampled out of sheer morbid curiosity (fiancee's father is diabetic).

pale straw yellow in color, white head has sprite-like appearance before it disappears.

aroma is metallic cereal and grain, cut grass or hay, and wierd corny sweetness

taste is similar, yet even more diluted. beer flavored seltzer. like a malto goya but less sweet

razor thin body and diet soda mouthfeel. if you can not drink beer, stick to water, it's better than this.

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch