O'Doul's | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

Added by kbub6f on 08-29-2002

Reviews: 173 | Ratings: 575
2.63/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a light golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. Seems the usual.

Aroma is full of corn, sweet malt and ginger ale. Yep, your substandard n/a beer here.

Taste is mild and grainy with a bit of sweet malt and ginger ale in the back. Just light and watery enough to be inoffensive.

Not much lingers at the back of the throat. Just a bit of sweet malt and grain.

Eh, it's a non-alcoholic beer. What do you expect? It's inoffensive though. You'd pretty much have to drink a 30 pack just to get drunk. If that's your thing, then by all means, do it.

2.55/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This pours out a limpid pale pale gold color with no head. The nose is very bland, a touch grainy, with a little sulpheric note I think. Not too bad of a flavor, actually. It's too sweet, with hardly the slightest hint of hops, but it doesn't taste bad the way some some non-alcohol beers do. Very bland. More beery than Keystone Light!

2.63/5  rDev +17.9%

ap: Pours out a pale yellow with almost zero head that would go away quickly if it could.
sm: Mmmm, not much. Maybe a slight beer smell.
ta: Mmmm, not much. Maybe a slight beer taste.
mf: Mmmm, not much. Maybe a slight beer feel.
dr: Okay. It's not flavorful, not really *good* beer, just a light weight (really light) beer when I want a beer w/ lunch before going for a motorcycle ride. A harmless self-delusion.

2.88/5  rDev +29.1%

A- Pours a bright clear yellow with a large foamy head. Leaves some lacing in the glass.

S- a mild spiciness with a bland grainey malt.

T- Almost flavorless. Just a hint of grainey malt.

M- Like drinking a glass of water.

D- OK for what it is. Not much going on.

2.08/5  rDev -6.7%

I'm not really ready to admit that this is a beer. Taste is completely below average and doesn't have any special characteristics. Very bland. Little head that dissipates quickly and a sub-par smell. Color is pale and mostly unattractive. Stay away from this one. As far as flavor is concerned, this ones a no go.

2.46/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Straw colored brew with excellent clarity and minimal carbonation. Soapy head starts out well, but fades quickly. No lace was left behind.

S: A lot like a macro lager. Rice and straw and little else.

T: Weak but presentable. What flavor there is to be had is dominated by rice and dry malt. Bitterness is there, but adds no taste. Finishes very clean.

M: Ultra-light body has the right amount of carbonation.

D: Not bad for an NA. Pretty much Bud with the alcohol zapped out of it.

2.24/5  rDev +0.4%

This is how I am marking the #500 milestone in reviews :P The opportunity to try a bottle was there, and I figured it was as good a time as any to give it a shot!

A: Pale yellow, though not as light as some others I have come across. It almost looks like it might have some colouring added, as it doesn't seem all that natural in a strange way. A notable finger-high head resting on top with a reasonable retention and an actual trimming of lace that was unexpected.

S: Quite a strong aroma, considering. Quite vegetal, with a fairly notable scent of corn husks and a grain scent - a smell that always reminds me of big bags of puffed wheat or ricecakes. Not really an aroma I have a whole lot of love for, honestly.

T: A very notable rice flavouring - again, very much like ricecakes. Fortunately, I enjoy those, so that's not too offensive. There's a soft, sweet taste to it, which makes it alright. It's not something I can't tolerate, and it's not devoid of flavour which I think, in some cases, is the greater crime.

M + D: It could ease up on the carbonation a little, though it does have a fairly decent density in the body - only in beer do I ever like my bodies 'dense.' It's a reasonable shot, though the rice aromas and flavours seem to be a bit of a move in the wrong direction when trying to reproduce the 'flavours of beer' without the alcohol content. Drinking something that hopes to reproduce such a flavour when not wanting alcohol always seems like a rather unusual idea, too, but that's just me. It was ultimately drinkable, and I wouldn't pour it down the toilet by any means. I just don't see myself going after it again any time soon.

2.5/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clean/clear pale yellow color, nice carbonation, little white head, with some sticky lacing. The nose is grainy/ricey. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy/ricey. Light body. Not drinkable, not too much to this brew, not recommended. I guess some people like this brew, but not me.

2.36/5  rDev +5.8%

I admit I was always curious about what a NA beer tasted like, but I only picked this up at my Dad's request. Comes in a green bottle and pours like golden and thin with minimal head like so many of the classics. Very drinkable and similar in taste to some of the classics as well, except for one detail...the smell. This is the stinkiest beer I've ever had. As soon as I twisted off the cap the smell actually came and found me. I've heard of certain beers smelling "skunky", but this one is the first I've had that perfectly fits that description. Even some of the aftertaste is skunk and if you dare belch, more skunk. Other than the smell, it goes down very easy, but why shouldn't it? There's nothing in it but bubbles. If you're in the market for a NA beer, try to sample them in small quantities before committing to a sixer. I believe Coors and Busch offer one.

2.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

Glad to find a single of this at Total Wine for $0.99 so I could finally try an NA beer.

A - Looks pretty much like any American lager/light lager. A finger or less of head recedes quickly to nothing, and leaves some very minimal lace. Pale yellow and completely clear.

S - There's actually a discernable grain aroma with some old, vague hops.

T - Bland grain with a slight sweetness. Finishes clean and flavorless.

M - Quick prickly carbonation that fades almost instantly. Watery, thin.

D - This actually isn't that bad, certainly not as bad as I'd prepared myself for. Of course there are other things, but for a non-beer beer, it's not half bad.

1.11/5  rDev -50.2%

Grabbed one from my buddies fridge as I was walking out the door one early morning. He bought it for his pregnant wife, but she thought it was nasty so it sat there in the back of his fridge. "What a great opportunity to be able to check off this category without wasting any money" I thought to myself so here I am drinking what is in essence a decent looking N/A brew that contains no taste and aroma. Pours a golden yellow color with intense carbonation and a frothy head that lasts. The appearance is very nice, better than Bud, Busch, and their light cousins. Aroma is non-existent the only scent I can muster is cardboard. Mouthfeel is a bit creamy but that's about it. The flavor is also absent from this one. Overall a weak beer, but I wasn't expecting anything special.

2.1/5  rDev -5.8%

Smells strongly of stale grain and rice, like a box of breakfast cereal. It pours to a large, frothy, slightly dingy head, which dissipates quickly. And the taste of the stuff is watery and dull, with only a hint of grain flavor.

That said, I've had worse. O'Doul's is not a complete disaster -- I would never drink it voluntarily, but it compares favorably to some mass-market light-beers and macro lagers.

1.43/5  rDev -35.9%

This was my first and only non alcoholic beer ever. I just can't justify this over water. It looks ok with a yellow color and faint tan head. Neither the nose or taste are anything worth while. Bland bitter grains. The body is light and fizzy like soda. I really will never drink this again.

1.13/5  rDev -49.3%

Surprised that the ABV is that high, actually.

Pours a clear looking yellow. Foamy, sudsy head. No real smell to speak of, just a whiff of vegetable and ... I don't know what.

Taste has some malt sweetness, but it's too sugary. Nothing else there in this watery, bland, horrid substance.

Not beer.

2.1/5  rDev -5.8%

I drank this once before I was 21 when a friend of mine was stealing a beer from different 6-packs from his work. For some reason, he grabbed a couple of these and I haven't seen since the other night when I went to drink at my "recovering" alcoholic sister-in-law's house.
clear, yellowish body that has no smell really. Taste is light and airy, a tad sweetness is overpowered by barley and water. This stuff doesn't dry out the mouth, which is good. Then again, that's because there is nothing in here except water and barley. I will take a soda anyday, but I guess I can see why people trying to quit alcohol but still like a cold "beer" here and there will spend money on it.

1.22/5  rDev -45.3%

12 oz. glass bottle- color of pale yellow, with a light white head - nose of skunk, corn, slight banana, but barely smells like anything resembling a “beer” - taste of sweet white corn, some bitterness, and bubble gum- no body super watery, and with light carbonation – aftertaste of slightly bitter, and candy

1.89/5  rDev -15.2%

12 oz. green bottle,

A: Pours a pale yellow, looks like a typical macro lager, but it's got a really nice head initially, but by the end of the glass, it retreats to nothing.

S: Very light, faint smell of malt and hops, though skunk is the predominate smell.

T: Very light, like the smell, some faint malt taste and corn, but that is it.

M: Light, like water almost, with some carbonation, has a bit of a beer body.

D: Good if you want a beer but don't want the alcohol, easy to drink, since it is basically nothing more than malt-flavoured soda water, but I usually want something with a little more body and flavour.

2.6/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 5

12 ounce bottle at a local restaurant when I had to drive a far distance afterwards

For the fake person you know who always pretends to be drunk, play a trick on them with this, because they would throw up before feeling a thing from this one with its ABV below one

Golden color with no head or smell

Did not taste like much of anything

Could drink these all day because it is practically water with some barley thrown in the mix

1.95/5  rDev -12.6%

This malt beverage pours with a slight tawny colored head, and crisp aroma. It has a light amber color and good carbonation. It has a light malty taste, with a slight hint of caramel without the bite of alcoholic beer. However, it does not have the full-bodied, robust flavor of alcoholic beer, which results in a somewhat weak flavor as compared to alcoholic beer.

2.94/5  rDev +31.8%

Pours to a thin white head and leaves bits of lace; clear yellow-gold color. Aroma is a welcome blend of noble hops and sweet malt, more like a European lager or a Michelob than a standard American lager. Flavor is mostly carbonated water and slightly grainy/malty with a surprisingly adequate hop balance and a noticeable absence of alcohol warmth and sweetness. It is "dusty" and dry both in flavor and mouthfeel--it does not feel like beer but rather more like club soda or tonic. It is relatively easy to drink and smells/tastes just like a premium U.S. lager at first sip, but the lack of substantial alcohol makes this beer taste less and less like beer and more like something other than beer as you drink it. It is a passable and "safe" alternative for beer when you want something to cool off with or wash down food. It is only 65 calories, so a good choice if you want to eliminate empty calories from your diet. The lack of alcohol is a welcome thing if you are a designated driver or on medication but still want to experience some malt and hops. It serves its purpose well, but it is still not quite the real thing.

2.05/5  rDev -8.1%

A - Yellow and bubbly, clear and watery looking. Looks like any old macro lager to me.

S - Not much to the nose. Maybe a little waft of hops on top of a lot of ricey notes.

T - Much more full flavored than I expected , but still pretty weak. Tangy hop-like approximations of flavor really aren't that bad. I taste loads of rice, and some quinine-like tonic flavors.

M - Ultra-fizzy carbonation adds bite and crispness, and the light body is really soda-like.

D - Not as bad as I thought it would be. It's by no means good, but this is actually better than Michelob Ultra or Bud Select, and those actually have booze in them. Not a bad choice when you can't drink beer...it's better than soda!

1.75/5  rDev -21.5%

Come on... COME ON! Why am I even reviewing this? I bought a six pack for my pregnant wife because she missed her beer so much. I figured, "what the hell" I may as well see what it tastes like so I drank one. Geez. I would describe it as a potion of 78% Bud Light and 22% water. It's more watered down than any light beer I've ever had. Natural Light could kick this "beer's" ass.

In all fairness, though, it IS a nonalcoholic beer. It would be like buying a Yugoslavian compact car and expecting Corvette performance. I guess it fulfills it's purpose. If you're a pregnant woman with no other option, a raging recovering drunk, or a tutu-wearing fourth-grade girl.... This is the beer for you.

2.09/5  rDev -6.3%

What an odd experience- this NA beer is absolutly the cleanest going down the throat of any beer I've had. There is no bite, like a old dog without his dentures. The smell is of light bread, and the taste is slightly corny, but also slightly bready, almost as if they had soaked Wonderbread in water and then bottled it.

2.15/5  rDev -3.6%

a:straw yellow color with eigth inch of white head that dissapears fast and leaves very little lace
s: corn and adjunct malts not really any hop presence
t: really sweet kinda funky, no real detectable flavors
m: light bodied beer with average amount of carbonation

overall, i couldnt see drinking another of these, i thought i would try it though since my buddy offered

1.23/5  rDev -44.8%

wow. i should have ordered a diet coke or ice water or dirty dish water...poured not bad. little head was quickly gone. smell was kinda odd but not much to smell. the taste - gawdalfull! man i will never have this again.

i dont do LA or NA so tis my own fault for having this one. and to think i had to pay for it!!!

blah!