O'Doul's | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

Added by kbub6f on 08-29-2002

Reviews: 173 | Ratings: 576
3.5/5  rDev +57%

This, and it's amber brother, are my go to quaffs when my missus says "You ain't drinking tonight!" (She who must be obeyed!).

It's a very pale yellow in color, pours a decent but short lived white fizzy head,taste is crisp clean and better than most so called "light" beers. Good for when you've had enough of the real thing, but you have to stay til closing time!

2.63/5  rDev +17.9%

I had this with a burger at Longhorn steakhouse for lunch. Poured from the 12oz green bottle into a pint.

Color is golden straw, clear with quick dropping white head which collapses to a ring w/ visible carbonation in the liquid and no lace collects. The smell is very light with only a mild grainy odor and slight sweet accent. The mouthfeel is very high in carbonation with mild sweet texture and light toasted cereal feel with thin gassy overall palate impression.

Odoull's is very mild w/ gentle malt influence and slight seltzery quality from the high carbonation which verges almost on mineral with slight spice effect from the prickly bubbles that creates a numbing effect and more of a corn pop tinge as it warms w/ very dry finish. Overall this is not the first choice of beers I would have if looking for an non-alcoholic, but it was a good beer for pairing with a thick burger and seasoned fries

3.51/5  rDev +57.4%

Pale straw color, and leaves no head.

Malts, green apples, clean water are what this smells like to me.

The taste is slightly sweet, but more bready, with some grainiess, slight bitterness, and lots of carbonation. There's sort of a green apple sour/sweetness to it.

Mouthfeel is obviously thin.

For a low-alcohol beer, this is quite nice.

2.64/5  rDev +18.4%

"Premium malt beverage" and "contains less than 0.5% alcohol by volume" on the label. I would think the two claims are mutually exclusive, but what do I know...

Appearance: Hey, witbier! Nah, but it looks white. Or clear. Wasserbier? In any case, sickly pale yellow, with a crackly ultra-white head that pops and snaps like a soda...until it totally dies after a minute. Not real appetizing looking.

Not a bad smell...a sweet corny/grainy smell, faintly (white) bready and that mildly sulfur-like aroma you'll get in your basic German/Czech lagers.

Taste delivers...well, taste doesn't really deliver much. Should I be surprised? But there's just enough here that the non-beer drinking beer lover can at least convince themselves they're drinking beer. Pretty much what you get in the aroma comes to the tongue, and that's basically a watered down pilsner style lager, with the sweetness of the adjuncts taking on an almost white grape vibe, hops being severely light, but crisp enough, and a decent dryness to the mildly but amply carbonated light body.

I get the low/non-alcohol beer thing. It's mostly for people who simply can't handle alcohol (you can call them alcoholics, if you like). It's noble and very much a life-or-death thing for them to stay away from alcohol. It's the light beer drinkers that are fooling themselves. In any case, this is not terrible...I've had worse 5% lagers, that's but sure. But still, there's got to be better low/non-alcohol beer out there than O'Doul's...I've heard the Germans have been doing some okay stuff in that department.

2.95/5  rDev +32.3%

Picked up at Julio's so I could check this style off my list. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A - A super crystal clear straw pour with a fizzy white two finger head that fades rapidly to leave a thin halo. Lots of bubbles in the glass.

S - Larger aromas. Lots of sweet malts, grains, and corn. Not much else.

T - Pretty much the same. Much sweeter than I figured it would. Sweet malts, some grains and corn. I've had worse surprisingly.

M - Somewhat thin, but I suppose that is to be expected. Its still refreshing though, but then again so is water.

O - Overall, shocked at this beer. I guess if you cant drink beers anymore this doesnt taste all that bad. I've had much worse lagers.

2.55/5  rDev +14.3%

Pale straw yellow appearance with lots of bubbly head that quickly disappears leaving no lacing. Smell is slightly sweet with a hint of wheat and corn, nothing strong though, smells like your average Light Beer.

Taste is similar to the smell, mainly grain with a very light hint of corn and sweetness. Taste is very light though and hard to pick up. Watery body with high carbonation. Aftertaste is very dry, some grain though.

For a non-alcoholic beer, this isn't too bad, refreshing and very similar to light beers. Also shares the problems of light beer where it's very watery, but that's expected. I'd recommend this if you had to get beer from this style.

2.7/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yes, like most BAers, I'm only reviewing this near-beer in order to see how many styles I can review here. I was surprised to see such a high score from the Brothers so I'm hopeful despite the average being D-. I'm hoping that's because most people do not review to the style and the Brothers do.

The appearance is yellow and fizzy, just like it's more alcoholic cousin, yet it doesn't hold its head up for too long. Otherwise, it's crystal clear and a straw color.

I've smelled worse full octane beers. This is one has got crystal malts and flowery hops coming through with some sense of sweet corn. The taste is pretty similar with the advent of a slightly fruity component, perhaps crab apple. I'd expect the mouthfeel to be very dry and it is to some point, but there's a bitter twinge at the end that makes me grimace a little.

Okay, not too bad for a near beer and better than many full ABV cousins. I still see no point in these creations. I am one who drinks beer for its taste, while many NASCAR beer drinkers do so to fit in or to get a buzz. Getting that buzz relaxes them and allows them to fit in better. Note: I did say "most". I do realize some people like the taste of the beers advertised on stock cars. Everyone has their own taste.

1.83/5  rDev -17.9%

Snagged a botte the other day because it was a dollar for the single and I thought it was a great idea. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a hazy golden color with a fizzy white head that settles quickly. Lots of visible carbonation.

Standard BMC lager aroma here. Corn and that beer aroma that you would associate with the big guys. So well all know how adjunct lagers kind of suck by nature. And how light lagers tend to suck even more by nature. Just make those suck a lot more and this is what you've got. Flavorless swill is all I'm drinking right now. There is a very faint sweet corn flavor and it's a little bitter to the end but this is just no thrills at all.

Standard feel here. Light body with lots of carbonation. The problem is I can taste it when it's in my mouth.

Seriously, I want my dollar back.

2.95/5  rDev +32.3%

Light golden straw color. Seems to be very carbonated. Foamy white head with moderated retention. Smell is very grainy. Lots of corn and straw and a bit metallic. Taste like a cheap mass produced beer. Actually this taste better than some other alcoholic BMC products Ive had. Sweet corn, hops barley pulls through. Mouth feel seems to be very carbonated and kinda watery. pretty much the only aspect of the beer that needs some work. everything else is typical. I cant remember when I last drank a NA beer. I don't remember it being this good. Not to say this beer is good or anything. Its just not horrible.

3.26/5  rDev +46.2%

A six pack for my father in law. It's been staring at me in the fridge, so why not?

A: The beer is pale, like a pale lager or pils. Clear as day, the ale gets points for translucence. A white head conjured up on pour. Where did it go, though? Disappeared crazy fast.

S: Light cereal grains and that's about it. Sweet creamed corn malt aromas follow a little while later.

T: The beer is surprisingly dry. Underneath that dryness, light biscuity malts and caramel are present. The breadiness takes the place of any alcohol. Corn sweetness is late to the party but it makes an appearance. A surprising amount of flavor for not alcohol. It's not my favorite but in a pinch it would work.

M: The mouthfeel is malty clean, sweet at times. A malted drink, water with some heft.

2.22/5  rDev -0.4%

I haven't ever had a "low-alcohol beer" before, but this one was sitting in the singles bin at my local store. I figured it might be nice to find a good beer to enjoy without getting drunk.

Looks like a normal lager. Very pale with a huge head that quickly settles down into nothing.

There is literally almost no aroma. Only a slight metallic and faintly sweet smell, but it takes some concentration to discern.

The taste is kind of boring, but I wasn't expecting anything too exciting. It is a little malty and sweet, but also kind of watery. Not terrible, and kind of refreshing.

Overall... I didn't really like this beer, but it isn't a complete turn-off to the world of alcohol-free beer.

2.36/5  rDev +5.8%

Ok, never had an LA Beer, and I'll rate this according to style...at least I'll try.

Pale golden pour with soapy head. Carbonation is apparently struggling. Not sure how this one is brewed; with little alcohol to start with, or has it been removed? Would the latter affect carbonation. I have no idea.

Anywho, not a very strong aroma by any means. Dull and grain husks. Bland. Stanky sweet.

Taste? Not much. Like many adjunct lagers (BMC) I get a stale musky, grain thing. Damp sweet. Thankfully not all that strong. Not sure why you would drink this. Taste? Hope not. But, that's what it is, I guess

First had: bottle from ?

Why would you ever drink this ever? Correct answer: no reason. If you need a drink, have some water.

Pours a clear, pale yellow, fizzy with carbonation, and a thin layer of fizzy bubbles for a head. Almost nothing in the smell, other than skunk and old grain husks. Taste is of stale Cheerios marinated in old bathwater, except thinner. Very light bodied, and pretty hard to choke down, especially when you remember that you won't get drunk at all by drinking this, so it won't get better with the more you drink.

2.21/5  rDev -0.9%

Yellow beer. No head, but loads of carbonation. Aroma was sweet, corn, like Iowa, but worse. I might even discern a light hoppiness.

Taste is like bmc, but worse, I dunno where that light hoppiness went in the nose, but it ain't on the tongue, although some residual metallic bitterness is. I can't rate this 'to style', I don't like the style, and the style it is denatured from is a crappy one to boot, so you're getting like a xerox of a crappy xerox (to borrow from duplicity essentially, or was it the Simpsons?). Its not awful, but it doesn't blow me away either. Light body, no alcohol or hops. . . really, what rating could you expect from this?

Only relative value for this, is clearly if you want a real beer, but for whatever reason (legal, emotional, responsible) you can't.

My dad used to have loads of this crap and Sharps. At .99 cent in the singles pile, figured this would be a good weekday beer. Boy was I wrong, it just left me all pissed off afterwards.

1.8/5  rDev -19.3%

I wanted to try this, honestly I expected a lot worse. This brew wasn't overly tasteless. It tasted like most American Lagers do. It has a golden yellow color, has the flavor of a regular pale lager. Surprisingly enough this beer is a pretty good choice for someone who can't have much alcohol. For me though, I won't need to seek this out again unless it's for a prank on someone or something like that.

2.32/5  rDev +4%

A: pale yellow, more clear, trace head, almost no lacing

S: hops, grain, tricking my nose into thinking its 'real' beer.

T: light grain up front, watery body, not sweet, nor bitter.

M: light body, dry finish

D: Not bad, but the alcohol is clearly the missing flavor ingredient. If one wants to drink beer, but avoid the buzz; just pass on beer. It's not worth the sad calories.

Just above drinking water/liquid bread.

1.93/5  rDev -13.5%

Reviewed from notes

Appearnace: very pale, with a slight yellow tinge, minimal head, no lacing

Smell: faint malts/breadiness, skunky

Taste: bland, watered down, a bit skunked or maybe that's how it actually tastes

Mouthfeel: it had bubbles, while weak, they were there, very light

Drinkability: shared this beer with the Montpellier Domino Club Beer Drinking Pigs; they enjoyed it much more immensely than I!

Cheers!
The CPJ

2.46/5  rDev +10.3%

I only recently realized that I had only ever reviewed this from a bottle, not from a CAN! The horror, the horror ... The CANQuest (tm) will not take such effrontery sitting down! Today is F, 09 Sept 2016.

From the CAN: "Premium & Extra Smooth".

I love being able to CANduct a Crack! & inverted Glug, especially when it is a mere 12-fl. oz CAN. In this instance, I got two-plus fingers of fizzy, foamy, bone-white head with poor retention. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity, but it was actually far closer to Straw than to Yellow. Nose had a sweetish, corn-like odor, not as sharp as silage, but definitely corn and cereal based. Mouthfeel was pretty thin & watery. The taste was so bland as to be almost undetectable. Finish was likewise unremarkable. Okay, let's review - watery, tasteless, refreshing. Why not just drink some water?

It is a mighty slow day here at CANQuest (TM) Headquarters and a recent visit to one of our local bottle shops inspired me to pick up one of these for review. Once more, Geronimo! Here we go! Look out below!

From the bottle: "O'Doul's starts as a fine premium beer, full brewed, fully fermented and cold-aged. Using only the finest natural ingredients, O'Doul's delivers all the great taste of a fine premium beer."

This is how I amuse myself in the slow moments. It is probably a good thing for society that I am usually kept busy. My pour created better than a finger of bone-white head with moderate retention. Color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of so many AALs that I have reviewed that I wondered which "finest natural ingredients" were used. At least no unnatural ingredients, like plastic (right, Minhas or should I say, the Cybermen Brewery) were harmed in the making of this brew. Mouthfeel was thin, not quite watery, but mot by much. It had a wheat-y, corn-y cereal taste in the mouth to the point that I thought it might have been liquid Chex Mix. Oh man, this was so boring that it could have put Muzak to sleep. Finish woke me up to tell me that it was leaving. What a snoozefest! Thank goodness that I am not consigned to a steady diet of N.A.s!

1.66/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a very light straw yellow color. One finger white head shows medium retention leaving a small collar on the beer itself. Very light streaks of lace on the sides of the glass.

S- Sweet bready malts and cereal grain. Not much else really going on here that I can tell. It's not really appealing to me although I didn't expect it to be.

T- Sweet bready malts in the front of this clashes with a cereal corn off flavor. Alcohol like flavor comes in but it also coats the tongue in a weird flavor I can't place my finger on. Light hop flavor on the backend with a hint of metallic tinge toward the final ending.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style I suppose. Sweet malts and cereal grain left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly sweet hints of malts and alcohol (which there is so little) along with cereal grains. Light drying on the palate but it's not from the alcohol. Metallic off flavors which are common in a lot of BMC products I know. Flavors are balanced for the style.

D- This beer is not bad for what it is suppose to be. My palate though after first sip started to feel this weird numbing feeling which is why I rated it as low as I did. Not a beer I want to visit again but glad I tried it at least once.

2.57/5  rDev +15.2%

A- Pale amber/dark straw. foamy head. some persistance to it.
S- Slightly toasted grain. Other than that not much.
T- Grain. That's about it. Nothing offensive, but nothing actively great either.
M- Clearly thin.
D- I can imagine worse. I mean it's not much worse tasting than most light lagers out there... I just wouldn't ever drink it by choice.

3.8/5  rDev +70.4%

This was my first non-alcoholic beer, but I'm genuinely impressed with how much it was unlike regular beers in the American Adjunct category. Decent taste and mouthfeel. Not amazing but pretty normal really, which I would assume for this style is very good. I would have another one. Why not? It's not offensive at all.

2.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a nasty looking piss straw yellow with a white head and lacing that isn't present. Smells like grain and a little corn. Tastes weak with a little corn and some grain. Mouthfeel is really super than and leaves much to be desired. Drinkability is high because it has like no alcohol.

2.33/5  rDev +4.5%

So this I have no excuse for other then trying to knock out the bottom of the barrel list as quick as possible. A short trip to the store revealed most of these sitting there, rip for the taking. Decided to try a few last night and just go with it. Served cold and right from the bottle, this was consumed on 08/11/2010.

Finished off the night with the classic N/A. I actually grabbed this one from Dad's house as he has sworn by it for years. Pours about what I would expect, a dull golden yellow with a finger high head of foamy white that fades as quick as it started. Lots of visible carbonation coming up throughout the session. The aroma was bready, very light, but hints of light hops could actually be picked up if you really look for it. Clean flavor, light breads, musky, moldy grains and that ever present corn flavor. Quick dash of hops and its gone.

It gets bonus points for being water, but that's about it. It was actually not the worst tasting of the group at all.

2.18/5  rDev -2.2%

The name O'Doul's has almost become synonymous with non-alcoholic beer. It's like when one wants to order a cola, they simply order a "Coke" regardless of the brand. I've heard people say "gimmie an O'Doul's" whether or not this brew is available. As a non-alcoholic beer, I suppose O'Douls accomplishes its job adequately: it tastes like a mass-produced lager. Is it good though?

O'Doul's pours a translucent golden yellow with a finger and a half of foam, which thins out a little but overall lasts for about 2 to 3 minutes. Aroma is somewhat skunky, perhaps due to the green bottle. Skunk aroma is mixed adjuncty grains and straw-like scents. On the palette, the beer feels like a standard macro-lager with a high-moderate amount of carbonation. As mentioned, it does taste like beer. The flavor is grainy with some wet paper flavors. There is an extremely light hop flavor, but make no mistake there really isn't any hop "zing" to this. The aftertaste is seltzer-y with some lingering graininess, and of course a beer like this finishes with no alcoholic warmth.

I asked before: is it good? My answer: not really. While it tastes like beer, that's because it SHOULD. After all why try marketing a beer substitute if it isn't going to resemble the real thing. O'Douls might compare to a light beer in flavor, but even then it's pretty weak. Better than the low carb beers for sure, but I have to believe there is better non/low alcohol beers out there than this.

1.88/5  rDev -15.7%

Pale yellow with a thin fizzy head that leave no lacing at all.

Nearly foul smelling. Canned corn and white rice smell. Grainy and semi-skunky smelling.

Not putrid, but not good either. Lightly sweet and watered down grain taste. Very bland and unfresh tasting.

Thin and watery. Nothing else to report here.

Definitely not something I want to drink ever again. I would rather have a glass of water than this.

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch