O'Doul's | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

Added by kbub6f on 08-29-2002

Liked:
1.98/5
Alströms:

2.46/5  rDev +24.2%

I only recently realized that I had only ever reviewed this from a bottle, not from a CAN! The horror, the horror ... The CANQuest (tm) will not take such effrontery sitting down! Today is F, 09 Sept 2016.

From the CAN: "Premium & Extra Smooth".

I love being able to CANduct a Crack! & inverted Glug, especially when it is a mere 12-fl. oz CAN. In this instance, I got two-plus fingers of fizzy, foamy, bone-white head with poor retention. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity, but it was actually far closer to Straw than to Yellow. Nose had a sweetish, corn-like odor, not as sharp as silage, but definitely corn and cereal based. Mouthfeel was pretty thin & watery. The taste was so bland as to be almost undetectable. Finish was likewise unremarkable. Okay, let's review - watery, tasteless, refreshing. Why not just drink some water?

It is a mighty slow day here at CANQuest (TM) Headquarters and a recent visit to one of our local bottle shops inspired me to pick up one of these for review. Once more, Geronimo! Here we go! Look out below!

From the bottle: "O'Doul's starts as a fine premium beer, full brewed, fully fermented and cold-aged. Using only the finest natural ingredients, O'Doul's delivers all the great taste of a fine premium beer."

This is how I amuse myself in the slow moments. It is probably a good thing for society that I am usually kept busy. My pour created better than a finger of bone-white head with moderate retention. Color was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of so many AALs that I have reviewed that I wondered which "finest natural ingredients" were used. At least no unnatural ingredients, like plastic (right, Minhas or should I say, the Cybermen Brewery) were harmed in the making of this brew. Mouthfeel was thin, not quite watery, but mot by much. It had a wheat-y, corn-y cereal taste in the mouth to the point that I thought it might have been liquid Chex Mix. Oh man, this was so boring that it could have put Muzak to sleep. Finish woke me up to tell me that it was leaving. What a snoozefest! Thank goodness that I am not consigned to a steady diet of N.A.s!

3.37/5  rDev +70.2%

12 oz can with the “Born On Date” on the bottom. The official beer for the confirmed alcoholics of the PGA Tour.

Appearance: One of the palest brews I have ever seen almost the same colour as DC tap water. Minimal lacing ends up holding its ground for a while.

Smell: Good balance between hops and grain, almost smells like a real beer.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Wicked light in flavour, light grain … very watery. Nice crispness within the extremely light body. Did I say light? Yes very light. Not too starchy and very clean in the dry finish.

Notes: I could have confused this with a regular light beer … perhaps one of the most beery NA beers around.

2.33/5  rDev +17.7%

So this I have no excuse for other then trying to knock out the bottom of the barrel list as quick as possible. A short trip to the store revealed most of these sitting there, rip for the taking. Decided to try a few last night and just go with it. Served cold and right from the bottle, this was consumed on 08/11/2010.

Finished off the night with the classic N/A. I actually grabbed this one from Dad's house as he has sworn by it for years. Pours about what I would expect, a dull golden yellow with a finger high head of foamy white that fades as quick as it started. Lots of visible carbonation coming up throughout the session. The aroma was bready, very light, but hints of light hops could actually be picked up if you really look for it. Clean flavor, light breads, musky, moldy grains and that ever present corn flavor. Quick dash of hops and its gone.

It gets bonus points for being water, but that's about it. It was actually not the worst tasting of the group at all.

2.63/5  rDev +32.8%

I had this with a burger at Longhorn steakhouse for lunch. Poured from the 12oz green bottle into a pint.

Color is golden straw, clear with quick dropping white head which collapses to a ring w/ visible carbonation in the liquid and no lace collects. The smell is very light with only a mild grainy odor and slight sweet accent. The mouthfeel is very high in carbonation with mild sweet texture and light toasted cereal feel with thin gassy overall palate impression.

Odoull's is very mild w/ gentle malt influence and slight seltzery quality from the high carbonation which verges almost on mineral with slight spice effect from the prickly bubbles that creates a numbing effect and more of a corn pop tinge as it warms w/ very dry finish. Overall this is not the first choice of beers I would have if looking for an non-alcoholic, but it was a good beer for pairing with a thick burger and seasoned fries

1.02/5  rDev -48.5%

Not a good beer. Just wanted to tick the style.

2.11/5  rDev +6.6%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I reiterate: Who needs alcohol, anyway? Answer from earlier: everybody... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear pale straw topped by a finger of short-lived lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises mineral water and dusty grain. The taste brings in some fruity funk for the sake of it, but that just makes things a touch less palatable, frankly. The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, if you want such a non-alcoholic option for a beverage, just drink water or soda or something. It's just not worth it to opt for this shit just for the sake of saying you drank something that sorta/kinda had the vague appearance of "beer".

2.06/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

3.01/5  rDev +52%

A - clear yellow with a large, thick, dense, white head that has good retention

S - grainy, husk

T - grainy, husk, a bit sweet; very very faint flavor

M - light bodied, well carbonated

For those that are avoiding alcohol but still like to have a beer, I"m glad that there are offerings out there for them. This is probably one of the better ones (small sampling as it is) that I've had. Due to the nature of the style, it is incredibly light and has a very weak flavor profile. There is enough flavor however to give those that choose this style an inkling that they're drinking a beer.

1.6/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

3.05/5  rDev +54%

Poured light yellow - fast carbonation with a fluffy white head that almost immediately vanished to nothing.
In the smell, there were some hints of hops and malt. They were very light, but clean - no worse than most light beers.
The taste was watery, but had hints of some hops, especially in the aftertaste. It was clean, but weak.
It leaves a clean, but rather flat feel. I can see how someone who can't have alcohol for some reason might be refreshed by it. Considering its style, it's not bad. Actually, it's probably at least as good as most macro lights. Not something that I personally would go for though. (If I can't have a beer, I most likely won't. I based the scores on the style - not so much personal preference.)

2.5/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clean/clear pale yellow color, nice carbonation, little white head, with some sticky lacing. The nose is grainy/ricey. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy/ricey. Light body. Not drinkable, not too much to this brew, not recommended. I guess some people like this brew, but not me.

2.58/5  rDev +30.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a bright yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some faint hints of grain. Taste is also grains, a touch of malt, actually more flavor than other beers of this style. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while I will be in no rush to have another, it ain't the worst of this style.

2.36/5  rDev +19.2%

Ok, never had an LA Beer, and I'll rate this according to style...at least I'll try.

Pale golden pour with soapy head. Carbonation is apparently struggling. Not sure how this one is brewed; with little alcohol to start with, or has it been removed? Would the latter affect carbonation. I have no idea.

Anywho, not a very strong aroma by any means. Dull and grain husks. Bland. Stanky sweet.

Taste? Not much. Like many adjunct lagers (BMC) I get a stale musky, grain thing. Damp sweet. Thankfully not all that strong. Not sure why you would drink this. Taste? Hope not. But, that's what it is, I guess

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch