O'Doul's | Anheuser-Busch

O'Doul'sO'Doul's

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

Added by kbub6f on 08-29-2002

Reviews: 168 | Ratings: 564
2.64/5  rDev +18.4%

"Premium malt beverage" and "contains less than 0.5% alcohol by volume" on the label. I would think the two claims are mutually exclusive, but what do I know...

Appearance: Hey, witbier! Nah, but it looks white. Or clear. Wasserbier? In any case, sickly pale yellow, with a crackly ultra-white head that pops and snaps like a soda...until it totally dies after a minute. Not real appetizing looking.

Not a bad smell...a sweet corny/grainy smell, faintly (white) bready and that mildly sulfur-like aroma you'll get in your basic German/Czech lagers.

Taste delivers...well, taste doesn't really deliver much. Should I be surprised? But there's just enough here that the non-beer drinking beer lover can at least convince themselves they're drinking beer. Pretty much what you get in the aroma comes to the tongue, and that's basically a watered down pilsner style lager, with the sweetness of the adjuncts taking on an almost white grape vibe, hops being severely light, but crisp enough, and a decent dryness to the mildly but amply carbonated light body.

I get the low/non-alcohol beer thing. It's mostly for people who simply can't handle alcohol (you can call them alcoholics, if you like). It's noble and very much a life-or-death thing for them to stay away from alcohol. It's the light beer drinkers that are fooling themselves. In any case, this is not terrible...I've had worse 5% lagers, that's but sure. But still, there's got to be better low/non-alcohol beer out there than O'Doul's...I've heard the Germans have been doing some okay stuff in that department.

3.23/5  rDev +44.8%

Light golden color with sparkling clarity, a small white head, lively streams of carbonation, excellent lace. The appearance is absolutely correct for a light American lager. Solid malt aroma with moderate hop notes. Taste begins with solid grain flavors and much less of the sticky sweetness often found in NA beers, carbonation stings slightly to good effect. The hops that are present in the aroma are largely absent from the taste, save for perhaps a whisper. Finish is clean and dry. The mouth feel is fairly good. Considering that this is a non-alcoholic beer, it’s a remarkably good effort.

2.6/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 5

12 ounce bottle at a local restaurant when I had to drive a far distance afterwards

For the fake person you know who always pretends to be drunk, play a trick on them with this, because they would throw up before feeling a thing from this one with its ABV below one

Golden color with no head or smell

Did not taste like much of anything

Could drink these all day because it is practically water with some barley thrown in the mix

1.38/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

Wife bought these while pregnant. Didn't finish them while pregnant. Now it's been in our fridge for a year. What the hell, lets give it a go. Terrible!

2.32/5  rDev +4%

A: pale yellow, more clear, trace head, almost no lacing

S: hops, grain, tricking my nose into thinking its 'real' beer.

T: light grain up front, watery body, not sweet, nor bitter.

M: light body, dry finish

D: Not bad, but the alcohol is clearly the missing flavor ingredient. If one wants to drink beer, but avoid the buzz; just pass on beer. It's not worth the sad calories.

Just above drinking water/liquid bread.

1.13/5  rDev -49.3%

Surprised that the ABV is that high, actually.

Pours a clear looking yellow. Foamy, sudsy head. No real smell to speak of, just a whiff of vegetable and ... I don't know what.

Taste has some malt sweetness, but it's too sugary. Nothing else there in this watery, bland, horrid substance.

Not beer.

2.57/5  rDev +15.2%

A- Pale amber/dark straw. foamy head. some persistance to it.
S- Slightly toasted grain. Other than that not much.
T- Grain. That's about it. Nothing offensive, but nothing actively great either.
M- Clearly thin.
D- I can imagine worse. I mean it's not much worse tasting than most light lagers out there... I just wouldn't ever drink it by choice.

2.03/5  rDev -9%

Sickly pale gold, translucent, minimal animation, underdeveloped soapy white head, no retention, no lace. The nose is uninviting, husky, grainy… funky… smells like Science Diet dog food. Rather flavorless, husky, grainy with a minimal influence of hops or malt… a whisper of cooked vegetables. Quick finish; empty… no enjoyment in drinking this one. Moderate carbonation, medium-light body, this part of O’Doul’s is decent. If you want an N/A try a Clausthaler Premium and if you’re just thirsty, drink water.

Bottle at around 35 degrees into a frosted glass at Outback
Aroma – smells like a lager
Head average (3 cm), white, fizzy, quickly diminishing to nothing
Lacing – none
Body light yellow, clear
Flavor – not much, just a hint of dimethylsulfide; no hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light, watery, aggressive carbonation

Overall, better than I expected. The aroma was the high light of this tasting experience. The flavor and the appearance were passable but a little diacetyl would have helped.

1.93/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- non-existent
Appearance- Almost looks like a pale beer
Taste- Water with some barley dipped in it
Palate- mildly carbonated, with a watery feel
Overall- Better than Coors NA, but that is not saying a lot.

2.57/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Gold in color with brilliant clarity and a fingernail of eggshell white on top. Aroma is of faint corn. I taste corn and faint Hallertau hops. The mouth is very watery and limp.

1.85/5  rDev -17%

Appearance: Pale golden, with nice head of off-white suds that dissipates quickly. Almost no trace of lace, oddly.

Aroma: Creamed corn. malts, typical American Adjunct Lager. Blah.

Taste: Malty, grainy, sweet with virtually no detectable trace of any hops at all. Not offensive, per se, but gives definition to the descriptive term given to me by a friend from Germany, “beer-flavored water”. Absolutely no character or taste. Not a winner.

1.43/5  rDev -35.9%

This was my first and only non alcoholic beer ever. I just can't justify this over water. It looks ok with a yellow color and faint tan head. Neither the nose or taste are anything worth while. Bland bitter grains. The body is light and fizzy like soda. I really will never drink this again.

1.35/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Pours clear pale yellow, with a small white head which has fair retention and leaves spotty lacing.the aroma has some grain and not much else. Very bland.

Tastes slightly sweet with some grain and not much else. I didn't expect much, but O'Doul's found a way to deliver even less. Beyond bland.

Extremely light bodied with average carbonation. I can't say this beer is horrible because of bad taste. It is horrible because it has no taste. I was curious to try this once and now I know. I will avoid in the future.

3.18/5  rDev +42.6%

I remember having O'Douls's Amber and heading for the hills. This lighter version seems much less obtrusive.

From a 12 oz. bottle and poured into a pilsner glass, this 'beer' pours a clear straw and offers a thick and soapy head of foam. Retention is miraculously brief however, surrendering to a surface cap in a minute or so. Nonetheless I enjoyed the albeit brief ride.

Typical nose of raw grain and with no negative influences. Touch of nondescript vegetal flavors don't deter. Flavor follows suit and is light and grainy without being too thin. Feel and drink are slightly better than average for the style though there seems to be little variation in that regard in my experience. Like many of the style this is best consumed directly from the bottle or added in short increments to a glass so as to maintain a crisp carbonation.

1.21/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

This was given to me by a friend. I never pass up free beer (alcohol or not) so I obliged.

Oh man. Ohhhhhh man. This is revolting. At least with adjunct beers you can get a buzz after a while, but this? This is just hell. I actually got a headache from drinking this.

I expected a fair amount of "skunk" but there simply wasn't any. There wasn't anything. It was just flat, beer flavored ginger ale.

Gross.

2.46/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Straw colored brew with excellent clarity and minimal carbonation. Soapy head starts out well, but fades quickly. No lace was left behind.

S: A lot like a macro lager. Rice and straw and little else.

T: Weak but presentable. What flavor there is to be had is dominated by rice and dry malt. Bitterness is there, but adds no taste. Finishes very clean.

M: Ultra-light body has the right amount of carbonation.

D: Not bad for an NA. Pretty much Bud with the alcohol zapped out of it.

1.52/5  rDev -31.8%

Eeeeek ghaaad.... The things I do for you guys....I've had this in the past but had to get it on tap to review for you guys as I feel its my duty. Chili's in westwood had this on tap for a short time and I'm reviewing this off notes, it still raises hairs. poured a flat super clear light golden color with high carbonation. I thought it smelled like a wheat festival. I know what this beer is trying to be but it is awful at acheiving any taste or body that is interesting at all. Drinkability is low as well because its not interesting in th least....no thanks.

3.33/5  rDev +49.3%

Poured from an amber, 12-oz. twist-off bottle into a plain, tumbler pint glass.

A: Poured a completely clear, ultra-clean looking light yellow color with a one-finger head of frothy, white carbonation which actually maintained pretty well, but left zero lacing.

S: Crisp, metallic grain and lightly toasted rice.

T: A sharp, crisp bitterness grips the palate almost immediately, giving way to some cooked rice and corn flavors before washing back clean and dry with almost no aftertaste.

M: Exteremly light-bodied, crisp, clean and dry with a pretty grainy, almost sharp mouthfeel.

O: Honestly, not half as bad as some terrible macro light beers I've had. Could have fooled me as a macro light lager of some kind. That said, I'd never reach for it and only accept it as a courtesy to the host. If I couldn't drink at a party, I guess I could find worse things than an O'Doul's.

1.66/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a very light straw yellow color. One finger white head shows medium retention leaving a small collar on the beer itself. Very light streaks of lace on the sides of the glass.

S- Sweet bready malts and cereal grain. Not much else really going on here that I can tell. It's not really appealing to me although I didn't expect it to be.

T- Sweet bready malts in the front of this clashes with a cereal corn off flavor. Alcohol like flavor comes in but it also coats the tongue in a weird flavor I can't place my finger on. Light hop flavor on the backend with a hint of metallic tinge toward the final ending.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style I suppose. Sweet malts and cereal grain left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly sweet hints of malts and alcohol (which there is so little) along with cereal grains. Light drying on the palate but it's not from the alcohol. Metallic off flavors which are common in a lot of BMC products I know. Flavors are balanced for the style.

D- This beer is not bad for what it is suppose to be. My palate though after first sip started to feel this weird numbing feeling which is why I rated it as low as I did. Not a beer I want to visit again but glad I tried it at least once.

If I wanted beer but couldn't have alcohol, this is not what to drink. I can't think of any real reason to drink this other than to make sure that your instincts about it are correct.

2.18/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Pours a pale yellow color with a small head that fades quickly.

S: mild aroma of malt sweetness and grainy.

T: Taste is similar to the aroma. Mild sweetness and grain. No real bitterness and a slight aftertaste.

F: Light body, crisp and a bit refreshing. Not much else.

O: Could have been worse, decent beverage for "Duty Driver".

1.96/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4.5

Live Review. Odouls poured from a can into a clean, clear glass. "Premium & Extra Smooth"

A Big fluffy head over a straw yellow body with carbonation rising up. Basic look.

S Kind of a fakey pilsner smell, not entirely off putting, some grains.

T The least amount of taste of any beer that I have had. Really, it is water with some grains, maybe some pilsner grains? I have an obligation to give this the lowest rating that I can due to it almost non existent taste.

M Very light indeed. I may even detect a hint of syrupy stickiness but I am really searching for something interesting here.

D Excellent but I will not be testing its drinkability anytime soon.

2.63/5  rDev +17.9%

Stuck in Podunk PA with nothing to drink I wander out to the grocery store after my in-laws are asleep. Of course in PA you can't buy beer in a grocery store and all the bars close early around here so the only thing sold is N/A beer at BiLow. I got O'Doul's and I won't do it again. It is not the most awful thing I have ever tasted but seriously what is the point. Other than cooking with it I see no use. Even there, it is just as cheep to get a regular cheepo beer in a can from the distributor so it doesn't save money. I don't get it? Pours clear, nothing but grain in the nose, little if any taste and very wimpy in the mouth. Simply boring!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.83/5  rDev +71.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance : Pours a great white stark fluffy 3 finger head but tides away so quickly it's like watching a shooting star. It diminishes to a small single ring and leaves no lace on the sides of the beer-clean class. The body is pale blonde color, mostly straw, with crystal transparency.

Aroma : Barley malts, rice, some slight roasted grain, a hint of mustiness, and a faint pinch of hop trailing behind. It's a very impressive nose for a near-beer.

Flavor : Again, for a near-beer this is far above par. Though washed out, all of the proper flavors are there - musty roasted malts, barley, rice, and yes, even a sting of hop. The vegetal character mostly present in near-beers is kept to a bare minimum here, it's on a detectable level but not on a perceptible level.

Feel : The feel stings the mouth pleasurably, not with carbonation so much (although it's there), but with the hop character and lightly burnt malts. It ends pasty on the tongue, parching the palate.

Overall : Of course this isn't going to be a real replacement for any beer unless health reasons dictate, but so far this is about the king of near-beers. My high rating reflects that. If you HAVE to drink a near-beer, O'Douls gets the thumbs up from me.

O'Doul's from Anheuser-Busch