O'Doul's Amber | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

Added by kbub6f on 08-28-2002

Reviews by andrenaline:
2.42/5  rDev +8%

A - Pours a clear light amber colour, finger of head, little retention and no lacing.

S - Bread crusts, candied sugar and a hint of honey.

T - Sweet corn, buttered bread, candied caramel, apple cider and grainy finish.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and wet.

O - Bearing in mind the style, it's the best sample of the style I've tried, but it's certainly not something many would enjoy. If I'm the DD I'll drink this for fun, but apart from that I'd pass.

2.75/5  rDev +22.8%

This is a premium non-alcoholic lager. Taste is dry, smooth and malty. A little bitterness is there, also. Mouthfeel is full bodied and substantial, but lacking in alcohol. I was waiting for hops that never showed up. I liked this, as far as the type goes. Too bad it is so expensive

4.54/5  rDev +102.7%

I recently became interested in N-A beers again & when I saw this in a bottle recently at Weis Market, I decided to give it a try, having reviewed it from a CAN many years ago. Today is M, 22 August 2016.

From the bottle: "Rich & Flavorful"; "Two-Row and Specialty Caramel Malts, along with a blending of imported and domestic hops gives O'Doul's Amber its rich color, flavor and fuller body."

No Pop! of the cap, since it is another twist-off bottle. Grr. An aggro pour netted me two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky head that puffed and popped and finally dissipated into wisps. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a scent like stale beer from the bar top the morning after a party. There was a pronounced caramel sweetness, but there was also the smell of stale beer. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was more towards caramel malt sweetness than stale beer (thankfully!), but I still got that taste/flavor/odor of what we used to simply refer to as "beer", like "I smell beer! Have yinz kids been drinking?" Finish was semi-sweet, kind of cereal-like on the extreme finish, but decent. Stick with the CANned version. I clearly liked it better.

Yippee, skippy, do or die! This CAN, courtesy of Chaz, will mark its 100th review, notch another Glug on The CANQuest (TM), and give me another LAB, of which I have reviewed a dozen or so.

From the CAN: "Rich & Flavorful"

Wow, the Crack was literally explosive on this gem! Man, I had liquid foaming everywhere and fortunately a decanting glass was ready-to-hand. The overly-fast Glug produced a finger-and-a-half of tawny head with not only decent retention, but the lacing was both quick to appear and very pretty. The color was a coppery, reddish-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Nose had a unique quality, like roasting peanuts or chestnuts. It had a roasted malt quality not generally found in an Amber, but usually in a darker beer. Mouthfeel was actually ending to full and the taste was very malty, which is not my bag, but on the other hand, it was more tasty than other LABs in my memory. Finish was biscuity and frankly reminiscent of Fat Tire. I know that I will be dunned for saying so, but this was a fairly worthwhile beer for the style. I would definitely use some cooler space for my N.A./LAB friends and maybe even for me to take the edge off.

3.25/5  rDev +45.1%

1.21/5  rDev -46%

Bright amber colour though not much upstairs. Smells artificially sweet with some hop oil and malt sugar. The taste is even worse, sickly sweet with little hop to balance. Tastes like artificial caramel … perhaps the worst near beer I have had to date.

2.36/5  rDev +5.4%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into plastic cup.

Appearance: Light amber with almost no head.

Smell: Very sweet, with caramel and corn syrup.

Taste: Sweet caramel, drier biscuit and pepper. Okay when ice cold; not okay when it warms at all.

Feel: Very light with high carbonation. Surprisingly dry finish.

Overall: Well, it is actually better than the lightest of the light beers. Not much else I can say.

2.08/5  rDev -7.1%

My dad got this after his recent heart surgery since he wanted the taste of beer but couldn't drink alcohol. The beer looks like a regular brew but the taste is a bit off. Hard to describe, but it's super light and grainy with a touch of sweetness. Body is lighter and easy to drink. Overall, not bad for being so low alcohol, but the flavor is unimpressive, to say the least.

1.93/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Its all downhill from here.

Looks and smells like a standard beer. No problems, standard amber ale no? But then the taste, I don't like too much alcohol, but if there's almost none, maybe its psychosomatic or whatnot, but I just can't get into it.

Mouthfeel indicates that the beer is much thinner than its appearance. Becomes watery, loses any wood and malt feel it had. No hops at any point. Can't stand to finish even one, and can't believe the price of this.

2.08/5  rDev -7.1%

Hey why not? Can from a cooler...

Clear amber, a somewhat pretned adjunct-like head that barely has time to say goodbye. No lace. Just a slight bit of malt to the aroma, a bit of far-off ginger ale. The ginger ale theme continues into the flavor profile -- a slightly sweet and grainy mix of overcarbonation and slight acidity (not seeming to be hop generated) mix with a bare brown sugar. Misses on many beer-like qualities and its a little difficult to assess hop malt balance on this one (as in many NAs, who'ld have thunk alcohol helps here?). I won't bash it, it has better qualities and some malty huskiness not found in Michelob Ultra.

2.25/5  rDev +0.4%

1.5/5  rDev -33%

2.18/5  rDev -2.7%

I thought I should try this just because it was around. I probably shouldn't have.

Color is hazy amber with, to its credit, at least a little head but no lacing.

Smell is...artificial. Very fake. Malt and sugar and...maybe some grainy hops hidden.

The taste is the same. Possibly some graininess, at least there's that, but no balance.

It's quite thin. Poor finish and lingering garbage aftertaste.

Not quite the worst thing, but generally quite unpleasant.

2.52/5  rDev +12.5%

If I have a dirty little beer secret, it's that I rather like this little malty beer-like brew. Much nicer color and flavor than the original Odouls had. I usually buy them for cooking purposes, should I feel like getting creative with burgers, but it's surprisingly drinkable on its own. In fact, I'd rather drink this than some of the more unpleasent real beers that this same company makes (though those beers shall *cough, amber* remain nameless *cough, bock*).

This is probably the closest you can get to beer in a non-alcoholic. Give it a whirl.

2.25/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.13/5  rDev -4.9%

A leftover from a previous tenant at a time-share ski chalet - why the hell not - got to be on my game tonight...

This erm, beer, pours a clear medium golden amber, with a surprising amount of foamy, puffy off-white head, which leaves some fragmented lace around the glass as it duly settles. It smells of sweet barley and corn cereal malt, and some very mild off-putting florals. The taste is very thin, slightly astringent caramelized grain. That's it - the 'flavour' comes and goes so quickly, it's hard to get a bead on it. The carbonation is average, the body light, watery, and bereft of character. It finishes off-dry, I suppose, the echo of the neutered malt whimpering to the end.

I get the close-to-nil-alcohol idea for beer, but why the taste and body has to suffer so much, I have to wonder, and another thing - this thing still has 90 calories? Cripes. I can't believe that I'm suggesting that one should opt for a Coors Light or Michelob Ultra in its place.

2.32/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

O'Doul's Amber.

A friend drinks this cause he can't have the real thing! I figured I'd give it a try.

Appearance- very light caramel brown with no head.
Smell- light, very light hint of caramel.
Taste- pure water with just a light dipping of some caramel flavor.

overall- a decent nonalcoholic?!?

1.57/5  rDev -29.9%

A - Clear amber with a fizzy short-lived head and no lace.

S - Lightly toasty and pretty acrid....sort of smells like a watered down amber ale mixed with a really bitter pils.

T - Vinegary and a little bitter with some caramel and toast. Very weak....nearly flavorless really. You basically have to swish with it to taste anything.

M - Watery, thin, and flimsy.

D - If you really need to avoid alcohol, then I guess this isn't terrible, but your better off just drinking half of a real beer.

2.69/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - see-through amber with a soft, thin layer of pure white head that has decent retention

S - sweet, doughy, faintly metallic

T - bready, grainy, metallic, sweet

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

The odd metallic notes ruined any chance for this one. There's a nice attempt at a malt presence, but its sweet and there are no hops for balance. This was only $.89 for a single. I bought it for this review. I won't be buying another one.

2.15/5  rDev -4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Had this one out the bottle, it had a very malty smell. The taste was pretty watery but the malt was there and a slight hint of hops. The feel wasn't too good, it had a fruity/watery after taste.

1.25/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.94/5  rDev -13.4%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a light amber color with an off-white head with decent retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is pretty bland to say the least. There is just a hint of grain and caramel. Not much else.

T- The taste starts out with a grainy sweetness with a touch of caramel. Could definitely use some bitterness from the hops in the finish to balance out the sweetness. As it is, I find it to be a sweet watery mess.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, I would recommend avoiding this one. The regular O'Doul's is much more palatable compared to the Amber.

2.81/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.13/5  rDev +39.7%

First off this is a Low Alcohol beer, therefore don't expect a ton of flavor. Most people drink these types of beers for a reason and not by preference (in my humble opinion). If you need to drink a low alcohol beer this is the best one I have had so far.

1.51/5  rDev -32.6%

Looks like a beer, pours like a beer... um, there the similarity ends. Fizzy head disappears faster than a 7up, smells like a sweetened Nestea. A halfway decent amber body for the "style," at least, but it tastes like watered-down Malto Goya (a Mexican malt soda). I had a whole six of this I was using for cooking; only when I was down to the last bottle (and I was off beer for Lent) did I consider actually tasting it.

O'Doul's Amber from Anheuser-Busch