Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

O'Doul's Amber | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

Added by kbub6f on 08-28-2002

I love drinking O'Douls because it's non-alcoholic. I have to take Dilaudid and Hydromorph Contin which are opioid medications. I have Lumbar Spinal Stenosis and Degenerative Disc Disease, because of these chronic lower back pain conditions I need to take these Narcotic pain medications. If I was to drink beer with alcohol it would kill me.

Thanks to O'Douls I get to enjoy beer again without the alcohol. O'Douls tastes so bloody good and on a hot summers day it's very refreshing!! Thank you Anheuser-Busch for making O'Douls so people like me who can't drink alcohol can still enjoy an ice cold beer. I'm sorry that this isn't a better beer review but I'm not a professional beer reviewer.

4.75/5  rDev +112.1%

4.62/5  rDev +106.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +102.7%

I recently became interested in N-A beers again & when I saw this in a bottle recently at Weis Market, I decided to give it a try, having reviewed it from a CAN many years ago. Today is M, 22 August 2016.

From the bottle: "Rich & Flavorful"; "Two-Row and Specialty Caramel Malts, along with a blending of imported and domestic hops gives O'Doul's Amber its rich color, flavor and fuller body."

No Pop! of the cap, since it is another twist-off bottle. Grr. An aggro pour netted me two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky head that puffed and popped and finally dissipated into wisps. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a scent like stale beer from the bar top the morning after a party. There was a pronounced caramel sweetness, but there was also the smell of stale beer. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was more towards caramel malt sweetness than stale beer (thankfully!), but I still got that taste/flavor/odor of what we used to simply refer to as "beer", like "I smell beer! Have yinz kids been drinking?" Finish was semi-sweet, kind of cereal-like on the extreme finish, but decent. Stick with the CANned version. I clearly liked it better.

Yippee, skippy, do or die! This CAN, courtesy of Chaz, will mark its 100th review, notch another Glug on The CANQuest (TM), and give me another LAB, of which I have reviewed a dozen or so.

From the CAN: "Rich & Flavorful"

Wow, the Crack was literally explosive on this gem! Man, I had liquid foaming everywhere and fortunately a decanting glass was ready-to-hand. The overly-fast Glug produced a finger-and-a-half of tawny head with not only decent retention, but the lacing was both quick to appear and very pretty. The color was a coppery, reddish-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Nose had a unique quality, like roasting peanuts or chestnuts. It had a roasted malt quality not generally found in an Amber, but usually in a darker beer. Mouthfeel was actually ending to full and the taste was very malty, which is not my bag, but on the other hand, it was more tasty than other LABs in my memory. Finish was biscuity and frankly reminiscent of Fat Tire. I know that I will be dunned for saying so, but this was a fairly worthwhile beer for the style. I would definitely use some cooler space for my N.A./LAB friends and maybe even for me to take the edge off.

4.08/5  rDev +82.1%

Pours a dark copper color with thin lace of head that doesn't dissipate completely. Smells like a macro lager except with a little more malty aroma. The taste is quite surprising. I have to give it a five because even though it doesn't have as much flavor as a beer with normal level of alcohol, you can't get more flavor out of a low alcohol beer than this. It's malty and has a bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is high carbonated and crisp. I would give this a higher drinkability rating, but you obvious can't get any buzz out of this.

O'Doul's Amber brewed by Anheuser-Busch, with an ABV of 0.05% This brew pours out a deep brown amber color with a small white head. This non alcoholic brew has a real nice inviting look to it. The smell of O'Doul's Amber is rich with roasted grians and malts. You pick up a faint hit of hops in the smell of this brew. So far so good. Now for the taste of O'Doul's Amber, it is rich with flavors. You first pick up on roasted grians and malts, then a nice smoothness. No it is light and watery witch is to be expected. However this is a fine drinking brew. This is a non alcoholic brew that has flavor. The mouth feel of O'Doul's Amber is rich , light , clean and refreshing. Overall I'm giving O'Doul's Amber a soild 4 out of 5. I would buy this brew again. Anheuser-Busch, did a real nice job with this non alcoholic brew. I would buy this non alcoholic brew again.
This is one of the better non alcoholic brews on the market.

3.8/5  rDev +69.6%

This, and it's pale brother, are my go to quaffs when my missus says "You ain't drinking tonight!" (She who must be obeyed!).

It's an amber-red in color trying to replicate the Irish Red style, pours a decent but short lived white fizzy head,taste is crisp clean and better than most so called "light" beers. Good for when you've had enough of the real thing, but you have to stay til closing time!

3.72/5  rDev +66.1%

I like this a lot, and regular ODouls as well. I had four of these today.

I usually prefer barley wine style, but let's face it- you don't always want to get lit or hungover. When you're a parent, that's more often than not.

This stuff is easily as good as any of the big lager swills like Bud, Milller, Pabst. You can drink all you like, which is tough to do with pop or beer usually.

Definitely not as bad as the rap it gets here. I wonder if you can legally drink it while driving?

3.68/5  rDev +64.3%

IT was not very different from the O'Douls one, but was a little more dissapointed with the flavor, is alittle heavier, and it makes it a little more annoying, perhaps. The colour is more green than ambar, but anyway, it is yellow after all. The aroma is proper for a beer like this, and maybe with some limes would be better.

3.66/5  rDev +63.4%

Pours amber without head or lacing.

Smells grassy with cooked vegetables and wood.

Tastes like an adjunct lager. Some malt favors. Very smooth. No bite. Can't taste the grass, like other NAs.

Feels smooth. Doesn't bite, but thin.

Overall this is one of the better LABs. I prefer it out of the bottle versus a glass. And this may be crazy, but it's better as it warms a little. If you like beer but not alcohol (or if you like alcohol too much) this is a very good better. Next to Clausthaler, this may be the best.

3.65/5  rDev +62.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.29/5  rDev +46.9%

I really thought, as far as nearbeers go, that this was a great beer. It's nothing that I would buy on a regular basis, but it's still noteworthy. I was expecting something horrid and nasty, but I got something a bit like a lighter version of Killians, but without the bite. The best thing about the beer was the awesome head I got in the beggining. The head was huge and frothy, and lasted a good little while. I would recommend this one to anyone looking to drink nonalcholic beer.

3.28/5  rDev +46.4%

3.25/5  rDev +45.1%

3.25/5  rDev +45.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.23/5  rDev +44.2%

a vigorous pour into a tumbler from a 12oz brown bottle yields a thick 2 inch rocky cream cap. The color is a brilliant mix of amber and gold with visible carbonation rising rapidly within. The lace clings well and the retention is of at least 1/2 inch. The smell is very bready with some grainy notes that are mildly sweet with slight metallic tinge and light caramel odor. The feel is decent with semi-full feel with slight sweetness and gentle creamy texture with slight hint of spice in the background. There is a light toasted accent which leads to a semi-dry finish.

The taste is better than I expected based on previous reviews and having sampled the Premium O'doul's recently. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor of the malt with some toasted and bready malt flavors which have a slight accent of caramel malt which gives a mild nuttiness as it finishes. I am not a fan of NA beers but if I had to choose this is the one that best emulates a regular beer so I consider it pretty good based on the style. It has a malt flavor which is more than most have to offer.

3.2/5  rDev +42.9%

Look: looks like a light brown ale/beer more so than what one would consider amber.

Smell: smells like what you would want to consider a nut brown ale too, sweet, caramel, malt, you might get lucky and pick up some hops.

Taste: I personally like it; according to the bottle it is made with two row caramel malt and some type of hops, and it gives me a taste resembling a combination of cream soda and a weak nut brown ale.

Feel: pretty thin like water, or soda with average carbonation, but typical head retention and lacing. It looks more like a beer than it drinks.

Overall: I have tried four NA beers now as I vowed to abstain from regular alcohol, and this one is my favorite thus far. Clausthaler is too bitter and metallic, Kaliber is way to sweet and funky, Coors NA tastes just like Coors, and this tastes like a soft nut brown ale with cream soda. It's not too sweet, but sweeter than normal beer with enough malt to remind you this isn't soda.

3.18/5  rDev +42%

A non-skunky non-alcoholic beer. Personally my favorite and most realistic tasting NA beer around and cheaper than most.

3.13/5  rDev +39.7%

First off this is a Low Alcohol beer, therefore don't expect a ton of flavor. Most people drink these types of beers for a reason and not by preference (in my humble opinion). If you need to drink a low alcohol beer this is the best one I have had so far.

3.13/5  rDev +39.7%

This is surprisingly good for a non-alcoholic brew. Even better than some of ABs other offerings.
Rich medium amber with quick fading head and little lace. Light to medium carbonation with quick rising malt sweetness. Slight malted flavor. Very little hop aroma or flavor, but has slight bitter bite.

3.11/5  rDev +38.8%

Gimped up from foot surgery, this is the strongest tipple I can throw back for a while.

Pours a decent light...well, amber (or a deep golden, as PopeDX, sitting next to me commented). Nice, foamy, but thick head, with tight, rising bubbles to the top. Leaves decent lacing as the glass is drained.

Aroma is nice, with a notable caramel malt presence, and a light noble hop backing. Not offensive in the least.

Taste, as with any N/A beer, is going to suffer, but this still has a lot going for it. Unlike many N/As, this is relatively dry, with a clean lager snap from the yeast, with a touch of malty, grainy tannin to let you know, that, yes, this is beer, made from grain. Deceivingly beer-like. The score is low, yes, but this was far better than expected.

Mouthfeel is spot-on, crisp and clean, never overwhelming. If there's one thing that Anheuser-Busch does extremely well, it's mouthfeel. Well done here.

Drinkability....well, we were debating how many it would take to get you drunk (there is some alcohol in here, after all), but, before that, I think that only a few of these would get to be too much for the palate. Put it this way -- I ended up drinking two of these, and one regular O'Doul over the time we spent at the bar. If we had stayed for another round, I would have easily gone for another Amber.

All in all, no, this isn't on par with many beers out there, but for an N/A brew, it's hard to go wrong with this. I imagine this would be excellent to throw back while doing a weekend construction project in your backyard, if Radlers and other things like that aren't your style.

I'm actually impressed! Well done, and cheers to Anheuser-Busch for making a N/A beer that can be found in almost any bar in the world. There are a lot of temporarily (and non-temporarily) dry folks out there who still like to have a beer or two.

3.08/5  rDev +37.5%

Reviewed with the NA beer consideration. Numbers do not compare to regular beers, only other NAs.

A - Small read reduces to ring, then nothing. Some sudsy lacing. Straw with just a splash of red tint to it. Kinda like a slight concentrated macro.

S - Light malty and a little metallic.

T - Sweet malt, some hop note, but not much. Pretty dry finish.

M - Pretty thin, but good coating.

D - C'mon, it's pretty drinkable. Doesn't get you messed up, not filling at less than 100 cal per, and it doesn't taste too different than the malt tea I make.

I think it's jes fine!