O'Doul's Amber | Anheuser-Busch

O'Doul's AmberO'Doul's Amber

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

Added by kbub6f on 08-28-2002

2.3

Reviews: 120 | Ratings: 240

O'Doul's Amber brewed by Anheuser-Busch, with an ABV of 0.05% This brew pours out a deep brown amber color with a small white head. This non alcoholic brew has a real nice inviting look to it. The smell of O'Doul's Amber is rich with roasted grians and malts. You pick up a faint hit of hops in the smell of this brew. So far so good. Now for the taste of O'Doul's Amber, it is rich with flavors. You first pick up on roasted grians and malts, then a nice smoothness. No it is light and watery witch is to be expected. However this is a fine drinking brew. This is a non alcoholic brew that has flavor. The mouth feel of O'Doul's Amber is rich , light , clean and refreshing. Overall I'm giving O'Doul's Amber a soild 4 out of 5. I would buy this brew again. Anheuser-Busch, did a real nice job with this non alcoholic brew. I would buy this non alcoholic brew again.
This is one of the better non alcoholic brews on the market.

1.5/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a twist-top 12 ounce bottle with a Julian date of 15232 into a tulip.

Look: Creates about a one-finger, white head, which dissipates immediately, leaving no lacing. The color is light tan/orange. I wouldn't call it amber. It's almost the color of apple juice, which, ironically, is what it smells like, at first.

Smell: The apple smell gives way to a stale grain odor, I can't quite identify. Decidedly fruity smell, but not pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Much less carbonation than I expected. A very slight oily feel.

Taste: Actually, the taste follows the nose. It kinda tastes like apple juice and stale grains. I expected a typical amber AAL taste and smell but I'm not really getting it. Much fruitier than I expected. And it should be noted, the alcohol is hidden very well. It drinks more like a 0.25% than the 0.5% it is.

Overall: Tastes nothing like any beer I've ever had. Tastes nothing like beer, really. I'm not going to finish it.

2.37/5  rDev +3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This was the first NA I tried, and I wasn't super disappointed at first, but after having a few over the course of about a week, I got tired of them and really kind of thought "I'm never getting this again" However, from the first one, it poured pretty well, a few fingers tall. It had a nice aroma, kind of sweetish taste. Overall, my first experience, despite what I said, wasn't a horrible one.

2.73/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Nothing too offensive here, not much on the nose or the palate. A little sweetness up front, a surprising touch of bitterness on the finish. Not bad for the style. I prefer this to regular O'Doul's and sometimes use it at work (group home, alcohol strictly prohibited) in baking quickbreads or boiling bratwurst, as I find the body and flavor just right for these applications. If you're going to drink this, though, make sure it's cold.

3.13/5  rDev +36.1%

First off this is a Low Alcohol beer, therefore don't expect a ton of flavor. Most people drink these types of beers for a reason and not by preference (in my humble opinion). If you need to drink a low alcohol beer this is the best one I have had so far.

1.77/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Looks : The head on this beer is actually quite impressive. It pours tall and porous, three fingers tall with an off-white color; takes its sweet time in receding and finally settling at a half of a finger. The body is spot on amber colored, with a jewel-like golden appearance. It's about 80% transparent.

Smells : Cotton candy. Some hay, and mostly sweet grains. Very faint vegetal aroma. Nothing wrong with the nose here, just faint, and I like the cotton candy sweetness even though it's totally weird.

Tastes : Here's where it could improve. Right off the bat there's some vegetal mash (a negative) but it dissipates into more of a roasted grain-like flavor, but that fades quickly - ending in a poor clash of stale hop and moldy malt. I'm not real impressed with the flavor of this beer.

Mouthfeel : Slightly creamy, light bodied, ends pasty.

Overall : I bought a 12 pack of this because I liked O'Doul's regular so much. I figured their Amber would be like that but with more roasted grain flavor. It's a different beer altogether and it fails for me. When I need a N-A brew, I'll reach for the green O'Douls.

2.08/5  rDev -9.6%

My dad got this after his recent heart surgery since he wanted the taste of beer but couldn't drink alcohol. The beer looks like a regular brew but the taste is a bit off. Hard to describe, but it's super light and grainy with a touch of sweetness. Body is lighter and easy to drink. Overall, not bad for being so low alcohol, but the flavor is unimpressive, to say the least.

Pours to a generous white head and light amber color. Aroma is weak caramel malt and a hint of hops. Flavor is a watered down but not unpleasant sweet malt and touch of hops and a nice seltzer finish. These NAs are not going to taste like real beer because alcohol is the glue that holds all the flavors together. But this is pretty damn close.

3.2/5  rDev +39.1%

Look: looks like a light brown ale/beer more so than what one would consider amber.

Smell: smells like what you would want to consider a nut brown ale too, sweet, caramel, malt, you might get lucky and pick up some hops.

Taste: I personally like it; according to the bottle it is made with two row caramel malt and some type of hops, and it gives me a taste resembling a combination of cream soda and a weak nut brown ale.

Feel: pretty thin like water, or soda with average carbonation, but typical head retention and lacing. It looks more like a beer than it drinks.

Overall: I have tried four NA beers now as I vowed to abstain from regular alcohol, and this one is my favorite thus far. Clausthaler is too bitter and metallic, Kaliber is way to sweet and funky, Coors NA tastes just like Coors, and this tastes like a soft nut brown ale with cream soda. It's not too sweet, but sweeter than normal beer with enough malt to remind you this isn't soda.

I drank this at an industry function; it was the only beer at the time whose name I didn't recognize, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. Its taste reminded reminded me of beer a little and was inoffensive. At the time, I didn't know this was an NA beer so I was wondering how I could put away two bottles of it and not feel anything.

If my choices were the same again (Bud, Bud Light or O'Doul's Amber), I'd probably opt for a water fountain. But if I HAD to have a "beer" from those choices, this would be the one.

1.75/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured a clear amber color. Head is white and well formed. Aroma is worse than its lighter brother, O'Doul's Lager. Sweet, shredded paper that would customarily be used at the bottom of a reptile's terrarium. Flavor has some light, sweet amber malt and nothing further. Body is light as all get out. Bubbly carbonation. Never had a N/A beer before. Funny to try.

Can.

2.2/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is clear amber orange in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that quickly died down, leaving a small patch of bubbles in the center and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of cream soda are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has light amounts of sweetness along with faint hints of malts. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light-bodied, slightly smooth and a little watery on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer doesn't have the chemical or "off" flavors you would normally expect from a low alcohol beer, but seems to taste more like a malty version of a cream soda compared to a beer.

1.94/5  rDev -15.7%

Got a single bottle on a lark. Wow, not twist off! Amber in color as advertised with big 'ol bubbles in the clear body. That's not barley I smell, is it? Sweet, bland grain. No hop presence. Smells challenging. Tastes less offensive than it smells, so I'd actually recommend swigging this from the bottle (wait, don't). Still, just a faint reminder of beer with mild hints of honey. Sweet is the prominent flavor, finishing with weird bitterness. This would be my first drainpour if I weren't such a glutton for punishment. I'm doing this dammit, but never again.

2.42/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Out of the bottle it makes a solid and very clear nice amber orange to bronze body. Nice rising carbonation, and a creamy three finger very bright white head. No lacing or retention but pretty long staying power and manages a decent puck to collar while waiting. Looks like an amber to me.

Smells like one too. Simple mix of sweet caramel, some fruity yeast like esters sort of strawberry, a little toasty light brown bread grain quality. Seems pretty straightforward, no complaints here.

Oh boy is this a surprise on the palate. This tastes like complete malt extract and sweet Jemima syrup. Shockingly sweet and more unexpected since the nose really seemed to deliver some variation. Finishes with some cola sweetness as well which just comes off weird. Thick bodied and syrup feel coating as well.

This comes out more like a caramel soda than a beer. Even for NA brew, it really doesn't offer much, and it's just way too sweet for my tastes.

2.07/5  rDev -10%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a clear copper-ish amber in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some light brown + amber highlights. The beer has a finger tall sudsy foamy light beige head that reduces to a medium to large sized patch of thin film and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of grainy and toasted grain malts.

T: Upfront there are light flavors of grainy and toasted grain malts with light amounts of bitterness in the finish.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Watery.

O: Not much going on here with this beer - very light aromas and flavors along with a somewhat watery body.

1.92/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Appearance- Pours up some head (about 3 or 4 fingers) and has basically no retention. It lasted long enough for me to see that it was an off white color with hints of yellow. The body is medium to dark amber with slight maroon notes which glows a medium amber when held up to the light. No lacing at all.

Nose- Fairly typical for an AAL. Slight grain, not much else. Maybe a hint of caramel from the bottle. When I swirl it (violently), I get some corn and cornflakes. While I don't like these flavors in a beer or a low alcohol beer, I really have to work to notice them.

Taste- Once again, fairly typical for an AAL. Lots of grain but not much else. Some cereal notes. Pretty watery and thin. A sour, metallic finish starts to build up as it warms. It's not as bad as in a lot of lagers but it does not bode well as I was about to mention there are no real off flavors. A bit of a vinous quality. Some white grape. Boring flavor profile that lacks presence and integration. Cornflake start to show near the end.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with some syrup. It had some carbonation but that is all gone. This is not the type of beverage (low alcohol or not) that you drink without carbonation. If you want serve your non-alcoholic beer drinks, pump some carbon dioxide in there. Or don't- I really don't care.

Drinkability- Easy going because it's so damn watery. But it's also very boring. And barely carbonated. And what's that other problem...

Overall- Pretty on par with BMC when it comes to the nose and taste. Nice body, but a failure in overall appearance. Mouthfeel is just a failure. Drinkability is pointless. Because of all this, it is beneath BMC overall. Poor beer. The only reason to try this is if you are a ticker. And I am. I can go back to regular beer now- this style designation has been had and reviewed.

2.42/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Pours a clear light amber colour, finger of head, little retention and no lacing.

S - Bread crusts, candied sugar and a hint of honey.

T - Sweet corn, buttered bread, candied caramel, apple cider and grainy finish.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and wet.

O - Bearing in mind the style, it's the best sample of the style I've tried, but it's certainly not something many would enjoy. If I'm the DD I'll drink this for fun, but apart from that I'd pass.

2.55/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

341ml bottle poured into tulip 9/6/13

A clear golden liquid with a few bubbles but a large well sustained three finger foam that has great retention slowly falling to an island leaving a couple partial rings of lace, looks the part

S Styrofoam, and cardboard, reminds me of opening a stryo-shipper from a trading buddy, some pennies and dry malt

T what I smell but with some soggy cornflakes, I might finish it if there was a little booze but this "brews" just wrecking perfectly good water

M feels about right, light bodied with lots of bubbles but I could live without the aftertaste of soggy cereal

O no need to finish this one, if I ever had to quit drinking I doubt I'd tease myself with this

Really? I've gotten to this level of ticking? I'm ashamed of myself, I'm about to drink a big BB aged stout I swear

2.48/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. I will start off by stating my context: I've never had a low (or non) alcohol beer before, and I have low (or non) expectations.

Pours a clear amber, with a fizzy head, and coarse carbonation. Doesn't look bad, honestly. If I saw it in a glass in front of me without knowing what it was, I'd want to smell it. It smells bready and sweet. It smells like a lager, but sweeter.

Taste is too sweet...some straw. Nothing interesting. Exceedingly boring, but not distasteful.

Mouthfeel is flat (surprising for the apparent carbonation).

Overall, I'm glad this was a "gift" (after I gifted this person a Rochefort 10).

1.7/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Best by: unk

It's amber, brilliant clarity and looks still after the quick dissipation of loose light cream foam. Smells sweet with some beefy character and a little tea quality. Taste is metallic with oxidized grains and some oversteeped red tea. Thin bodied with low carb and a astringently abrasive finish. No likey.

2.23/5  rDev -3%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Meh, who needs alcohol? This stuff pours a clear copper topped by a finger of short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises warm, lightly-buttered bread. Yup, that's it. I know, I'm kinda surprised, too. The taste is grainier, like less polished bread, with a touch of vague fruitiness tossed in for apparently good measure. Then everything is watered down. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, I'm not sure why they bothered to take out the alcohol here, except to save the company from being derided for releasing a really crappy beer that may actually be able to eventually get you drunk. This stuff, on the other hand, is purposeless.

2.69/5  rDev +17%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - see-through amber with a soft, thin layer of pure white head that has decent retention

S - sweet, doughy, faintly metallic

T - bready, grainy, metallic, sweet

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

The odd metallic notes ruined any chance for this one. There's a nice attempt at a malt presence, but its sweet and there are no hops for balance. This was only $.89 for a single. I bought it for this review. I won't be buying another one.

2.85/5  rDev +23.9%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color, with a large white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light caramelized malts, some fruit and a faint touch of hops

T: The taste starts out with a mild sweetness from flavors of caramel, fruit & honey. Then a hearty but not too heavy malt character comes in along with a very light hops presence to create a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little flavorful, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, it’s a fairly decent beer for the style.

2.5/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

When you want a beer, but just not so near.

Effervescent as all budmilloors are. Head sticks around only because it is bubbling so much. minimal lacing. More like a pale copper than an amber.

Slightly malty in the aroma, but nothing going on really.

Short and kinda sweet for taste. Largely adjunct production.

Hints of dryness lingering in the feel but overwhelmingly bubbly action.

Worth a try, let this be a lesson why alcoholism should be avoided at all costs.

2.91/5  rDev +26.5%

Appearance: Pale amber. Pours a medium, airy head. Carbonation is evident.

Aroma: Light, sweet malt, not much to it.

Taste: Rather sweet, typical for a low alcohol beer. The malt is pleasant enough, but obviously there's very little body or depth to it.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation (for the style), a bit much for my taste though. Light bodied.

Overall: It's not bad for a low alcohol beer. I've had a few, and none of them are great of course, but they can be drinkable at least. This one is about average.

O'Doul's Amber from Anheuser-Busch