O'Doul's Amber | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

Added by kbub6f on 08-28-2002

2.3

2.75/5  rDev +19.6%

2.25/5  rDev -2.2%

2.25/5  rDev -2.2%

1.92/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Appearance- Pours up some head (about 3 or 4 fingers) and has basically no retention. It lasted long enough for me to see that it was an off white color with hints of yellow. The body is medium to dark amber with slight maroon notes which glows a medium amber when held up to the light. No lacing at all.

Nose- Fairly typical for an AAL. Slight grain, not much else. Maybe a hint of caramel from the bottle. When I swirl it (violently), I get some corn and cornflakes. While I don't like these flavors in a beer or a low alcohol beer, I really have to work to notice them.

Taste- Once again, fairly typical for an AAL. Lots of grain but not much else. Some cereal notes. Pretty watery and thin. A sour, metallic finish starts to build up as it warms. It's not as bad as in a lot of lagers but it does not bode well as I was about to mention there are no real off flavors. A bit of a vinous quality. Some white grape. Boring flavor profile that lacks presence and integration. Cornflake start to show near the end.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied with some syrup. It had some carbonation but that is all gone. This is not the type of beverage (low alcohol or not) that you drink without carbonation. If you want serve your non-alcoholic beer drinks, pump some carbon dioxide in there. Or don't- I really don't care.

Drinkability- Easy going because it's so damn watery. But it's also very boring. And barely carbonated. And what's that other problem...

Overall- Pretty on par with BMC when it comes to the nose and taste. Nice body, but a failure in overall appearance. Mouthfeel is just a failure. Drinkability is pointless. Because of all this, it is beneath BMC overall. Poor beer. The only reason to try this is if you are a ticker. And I am. I can go back to regular beer now- this style designation has been had and reviewed.

1.75/5  rDev -23.9%

1.25/5  rDev -45.7%

2.42/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Pours a clear light amber colour, finger of head, little retention and no lacing.

S - Bread crusts, candied sugar and a hint of honey.

T - Sweet corn, buttered bread, candied caramel, apple cider and grainy finish.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and wet.

O - Bearing in mind the style, it's the best sample of the style I've tried, but it's certainly not something many would enjoy. If I'm the DD I'll drink this for fun, but apart from that I'd pass.

2.55/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

341ml bottle poured into tulip 9/6/13

A clear golden liquid with a few bubbles but a large well sustained three finger foam that has great retention slowly falling to an island leaving a couple partial rings of lace, looks the part

S Styrofoam, and cardboard, reminds me of opening a stryo-shipper from a trading buddy, some pennies and dry malt

T what I smell but with some soggy cornflakes, I might finish it if there was a little booze but this "brews" just wrecking perfectly good water

M feels about right, light bodied with lots of bubbles but I could live without the aftertaste of soggy cereal

O no need to finish this one, if I ever had to quit drinking I doubt I'd tease myself with this

Really? I've gotten to this level of ticking? I'm ashamed of myself, I'm about to drink a big BB aged stout I swear

1.25/5  rDev -45.7%

1.5/5  rDev -34.8%

2.48/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. I will start off by stating my context: I've never had a low (or non) alcohol beer before, and I have low (or non) expectations.

Pours a clear amber, with a fizzy head, and coarse carbonation. Doesn't look bad, honestly. If I saw it in a glass in front of me without knowing what it was, I'd want to smell it. It smells bready and sweet. It smells like a lager, but sweeter.

Taste is too sweet...some straw. Nothing interesting. Exceedingly boring, but not distasteful.

Mouthfeel is flat (surprising for the apparent carbonation).

Overall, I'm glad this was a "gift" (after I gifted this person a Rochefort 10).

1.75/5  rDev -23.9%