O'Doul's Amber | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

O'Doul's and O'Doul's Amber are non-alcohol malt beverages.

O’Doul’s has a mild, sweet taste with a slightly dry finish. O’Doul’s Amber has a rich, slightly sweet taste with flavorful hop finish.

O’Doul’s and O’Doul’s Amber are brewed as traditional premium beers – fermented and aged to full maturity. The alcohol is then removed through the use of low temperature, low-pressure distillation. This extremely gentle process allows the alcohol to be removed without heating or cooking the beer, which retains the full, rich and delicate flavor and balance of our non-alcohol brews.

Added by kbub6f on 08-28-2002

2.3

2.01/5  rDev -12.6%

Another style tick under the belt. Not looking forward to this one all that much. Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Crystal clear golden amber. Solid two fingers of off white head. Fast fading leaving no lace.

S: Sweet malt and hints of corn like grain. Not exactly a show stopper in the nose. No surprise.

T: Wow. Amazing how little flavor this has. Just a light hint of tart malt. That's it. Nothing offensive just nothing period.

M: Very light and crisp. Plenty of carbonation.

D: Well there is simply nothing horrible about this beer but nothing good either. This will be my first and last NA beer for sure.

2.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into Old Rasputin nonic pint. Bought on sale for 79cents.

A: Pours a light amber with two fingers of bubbly off-white head that quickly fizzed away into a faint film. No lacing.
S: Light notes of grains with a slight metallic twinge mixed in with some sweet notes.
T: Slight notes of roasted grains and a synthetic blast of artificial sweetener and caramel syrup.
M: Not as water as I was expecting, but still, pretty thin. Carbonation is tingly but fairly low.
D: This is my first nonalcoholic beer, but I've actually had alcoholic beers that taste worse than this. Still, this is by no means something I would like to drink again.

2.06/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours a medium amber color without head or lacing. Nose brings forth some light grain. Somewhat of a grain husk nose. Taste confirms this with some general bread flavors. Feel is light with too much carbonation. Drinks much like the overall experience--in an unimpressive manner.

2.63/5  rDev +14.3%

Well I had to try it. The whole sixer costs less than most single 12 oz bottles I drink. Keep in mind I am reviewing this to style, and the bar is pretty low. Interestingly, this is my 100th bottled beer reviewed (not 100th review total). I don't think I could have picked a more anticlimactic choice. Oh well.

Appearance is light orange watery body that pours with head but acts like flat diet soda... the head goes away and is never seen again.

I don't smell anything. Wait, a faint hint of something like malt. No, never mind. At least there is nothing offensive.

Yea, don't really taste much either. The label says this is rich and flavorful. Now, if it were labeled as WATER I would be impressed. It is however, not labeled as water and thus I am not impressed.

Mouthfeel reminds me of half/half seltzer water and a bad beer left out all day.

Conclusion: I have had ultra-low ABV beers before that were actually pretty good. This 'beer' is sad. enough said. On to better things.

My curiosity got the best of me, so I had to try this here near beer.

I think it's got a nice, crisp, clean taste.
It ressembles beer.
There isn't anything here that would make me want to buy it again, but for anyone who is in search of a good NA beer, this one has to be at least a decent place to start.

1.93/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Its all downhill from here.

Looks and smells like a standard beer. No problems, standard amber ale no? But then the taste, I don't like too much alcohol, but if there's almost none, maybe its psychosomatic or whatnot, but I just can't get into it.

Mouthfeel indicates that the beer is much thinner than its appearance. Becomes watery, loses any wood and malt feel it had. No hops at any point. Can't stand to finish even one, and can't believe the price of this.

2.43/5  rDev +5.7%

I felt it the responsible thing to do, bringing this to a tasting. You don't everyone to get drunk, now do you?!

A: The pour is a clear light amber color with plenty of carbonation and a short lived head.

S: The nose is very mild, not giving off too much of an aroma. What is there is a light grainy sweetness and a touch of skunk.

T: Like the nose before it, there really isn't much going on in the flavor department. The only real flavor is a slight bready quality and some sweetness.

M: The body is thin and watery with a fairly plentiful carbonation.

D: I suppose there is a point for some to drink non-alcoholic beer, but I just don't see it. I'd rather drink a soda if I wanted some empty calories, because at least that tastes good.

1.94/5  rDev -15.7%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a light amber color with an off-white head with decent retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is pretty bland to say the least. There is just a hint of grain and caramel. Not much else.

T- The taste starts out with a grainy sweetness with a touch of caramel. Could definitely use some bitterness from the hops in the finish to balance out the sweetness. As it is, I find it to be a sweet watery mess.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, I would recommend avoiding this one. The regular O'Doul's is much more palatable compared to the Amber.

1.61/5  rDev -30%

Given to me by my good BA buddy cdkrenz...thanks (I think). This must be revenge for the Wild Blue I gave you.

A - An aggressive pour yielded a clear orange/amber body topped by a white foamy one finger head. The head dissipated to a foamy cap...the head is actually better than I thought it would be, leaving a little spotty lacing down the inside of my pint glass. Maybe it was a result of my aggressive pour.

S - Light sweet malt...not much else in the nose.

T & M - Wow...this stuff is watery! I drank a porter before this and this stuff pales greatly in comparison. I'm getting a metallic taste, maybe a little caramelized malt. Not much going on here. High carbonation lends to a rough mouthfeel.

D - I guess if you're forced to drink a NA beer, this may be a good one. I'm not one that is willing to sacrifice taste just to pretend to drink a beer though. I would rather drink water or soda if I'm a DD.

1.49/5  rDev -35.2%

12oz bottle (on sale at the local grocery store for $0.50 per bottle) into a Michelob pilsner glass.

Not a half-bad pour; surprisingly good head retention to the creamy sawdust inch of foam, likely a result of the lager-like levels of carbonation rising up through the golden-copper body. Good lacing to boot. Pale & clear color, but a bit light to be called "Amber". Mineral crispness and a hint of cooked corn in the nose. Some sweetness from the malts and perhaps the tiniest hint of hops, but a rather unimpressive aroma.

Oh man, this is awful stuff. Sourish minerals all across the tongue with notes of over-cooked frozen vegetables. Like bad mineral water...no traces of the label-touted "Two-row and specialty caramel malts" or hops of any sort. Body is not as thin as one might think for a 0.5% ABV, and has some decent creaminess to the carbonation, but the off-flavors and sour crispness are equal parts distracting and disgusting. My excuses? I guess I was curious, and the price was right. After all, this is my first Low Alcohol Beer review. Never again though...I learned my lesson.

1.78/5  rDev -22.6%

A - Clear, pale copper body with a thin very pale tan head that fades... faded very quickly.

S - Malty aroma with little to offer.

T - It has an odd aftertaste and that which comes first isn't much better.

M - The texture is coarse throughout with with much of the feel to the roof of my mouth.

~ The label reads, "Rich & Flavorful" but I beg to differ.

3.06/5  rDev +33%

"Rich and Flavorful" it says. We will see about that.

Clear, faint amber color, big, creamy off-white head. Nice.

Wisps of grain and cereal...hardly any hops. But not bad. Just the barest of anything, I guess.

Taste: Hmmm. Smooth. Light tickle of hops, agreeable cereal mash flavor...good and moist...light bodied, to be sure.
I pull to my lips again, and am left not unsatisfied. If I couldn't have alcohol, and wanted to fit into a social situation where others where drinking, this wouldn't be bad.
I'm not sure why this gets such low marks, if anyone's reviewing to style. You really can't compare it to real beer. Heck, it's probably better than a lot of beer with alcohol.

It has flavor, not necessarily rich, better more than you expect. Long finish, malty, dry. It's missing something, but ... isn't that the reason it exists?

So, not a bad fill-in for those who need it.
(A little ashamed I'm praising an A-B product, but, hey, it is what it is. And it ain't bad, for that.)

1.82/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Pale amber color with a fair head.

Smell: Not much there, but maybe some light hops lingering in the background.

Taste: Pretty bland, but smooth. Some hop bitterness at the end, but not much.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery.

Drinkability: This wasn't absolutely horrible or offensive, but with these Low Alcohol Beers, I just have to ask myself: What's the point?

3.06/5  rDev +33%

A bottle poured into a plastic cup. It was around, so I grabbed it.

A: The beer is very amber, a caramel brown color with a finger of white head. The color is just dark enough to leave it opaque.

S: The aroma is loaded with bready malts and a semi-sweet caramel flavor. Not the most exciting but very unusual.

T: The maltiness is upfront, caramel and bread throw all they've got at you. Following them are, well, very little. Hops are an afterthought and any boozy warmth has been neutered. The result is a bready soda water with few redeeming qualities. I'd rather stick with Budweiser.

M: Malty, loaded with semi-sweet caramel. This beer isn't afraid to show off that side. The hoppiness is more muted with a 'nothing to see here' mentality.

D: One was enough. Yeah, I ticked the style, waddya want me to say? I'd prefer my beer with booze in it.

1.54/5  rDev -33%

Have a few cans of this left over from a friend. Poured into a glass this is a light amber color with a cream colored head that was here, then gone! The aroma was mild with some hints of malt. The taste was very metallic and watery at the same time. There was not much taste of malt and maybe a syrupy sweetness that was out right gross. NA is not for me!

3.72/5  rDev +61.7%

I like this a lot, and regular ODouls as well. I had four of these today.

I usually prefer barley wine style, but let's face it- you don't always want to get lit or hungover. When you're a parent, that's more often than not.

This stuff is easily as good as any of the big lager swills like Bud, Milller, Pabst. You can drink all you like, which is tough to do with pop or beer usually.

Definitely not as bad as the rap it gets here. I wonder if you can legally drink it while driving?

Pours a mild amber color with a one-finger head into my glass. Seems normal.

Aroma is pretty sweet with a hint of brown sugar in the nose. Hmm, more than I can say for the other version of this beer.

Taste is full of caramel, sweet malt and an odd flavor overall in the middle. Hard to stomach.

Mouthfeel is thin and full of caramel and an otherwise undesirable aftertaste. Certainly not impressive.

Avoid unless you absolutely must drink a n/a beer. It has a bit more flavor than some n/a beers but not enough.

2.13/5  rDev -7.4%

With no doubt, this one is the tastiest non-alcoholic beer i ever tasted; with an amber golden color; smooth smell; in the taste there is an accentuated malt with an end of cereal, very good.

I know this is a not alcoholic beer, but... with the food, tastes like a real beer, truly.

Homever i can't give a good calification to a non-alcoholic beer.

2.18/5  rDev -5.2%

I thought I should try this just because it was around. I probably shouldn't have.

Color is hazy amber with, to its credit, at least a little head but no lacing.

Smell is...artificial. Very fake. Malt and sugar and...maybe some grainy hops hidden.

The taste is the same. Possibly some graininess, at least there's that, but no balance.

It's quite thin. Poor finish and lingering garbage aftertaste.

Not quite the worst thing, but generally quite unpleasant.

2.06/5  rDev -10.4%

Ap: golden amber color with one finger head
Sm: pale and thin
Ta: grainy, smooth, sweet
Mf: light
Dr: Actually tasted pretty okay at first, but by the time I finished, not so much. I can drink a beer (kind of) without screwing up the numbers in Turbo Tax. I'll have another when I forget how the first one tasted.

3.08/5  rDev +33.9%

Reviewed with the NA beer consideration. Numbers do not compare to regular beers, only other NAs.

A - Small read reduces to ring, then nothing. Some sudsy lacing. Straw with just a splash of red tint to it. Kinda like a slight concentrated macro.

S - Light malty and a little metallic.

T - Sweet malt, some hop note, but not much. Pretty dry finish.

M - Pretty thin, but good coating.

D - C'mon, it's pretty drinkable. Doesn't get you messed up, not filling at less than 100 cal per, and it doesn't taste too different than the malt tea I make.

I think it's jes fine!

2.47/5  rDev +7.4%

for some reason, i decided to get a 6-pack. i think i drank 2, then the rest have been sitting on the back porch. then i got an idea: cook with it! wasn't bad to simmer some vegetales, but...

bottle at room temperature, poured into frosted pint glass. okay, so it gets a handicap

looks: nice colour, light carbonation, giant 3-inch head that dies down to thin cover. moderate lacing

nose: sweet maltiness. im actually hopeful.

taste: metal tinny fizz, then pleasant malt, then back to more metallic fizz. and like decaf coffee, there is that sense of emptiness when i drink it - tho this could be the placebo effect

mouthfeel: a bit dry, a bit of that sweet malt...not that bad

drinkability: light bodied, not so unpleasant...this is fairly drinkable. 2 problems: 1) too expensive to justify, and 2) who the hell would drink this in large quantities, unless you were on a post-atkins carb-binge??

2.46/5  rDev +7%

I might as well cut and paste my regular O'Doul's review. This stuff tastes almost exactly the same. Perhaps the amber color is from food coloring? Probably not, but you never know.

A: Reddish amber colored brew with excellent clarity and minimal carbonation. Soapy head starts out well, but fades quickly. No lace was left behind.

S: Rice, straw and maybe a little toffee sweetness.

T: Weak but presentable. What flavor there is to be had is dominated by rice and a slightly sweet maltiness. Bitterness is there, but adds no taste. Finishes very clean.

M: Ultra-light body has the right amount of carbonation.

D: And this is different from regular O'Doul's because? I stand by my initial statement. Passable, but not worth a revisit.

1.18/5  rDev -48.7%

I think this is O'Douls with a bit of red food coloring. It pours amber and has a short lived fizzy head. The body is light and again a bit fizzy. Not much flavor here. Just some light grains. The nose is like old cut grass. I don't think I'll be having this again, actually I'm sure of it.

2.09/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a clear amber color with one finger of bright white head. Decent retention and no lacing.

The aroma is basically nonexistent. All I get is a very faint bready malt but even that's a stretch.

The taste is not nearly as horrible as I predicted. It actually has a slight hop bitterness with some bready malt component. It's a bit metallic as well.

The mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with tons of carbonation.

The drinkability is fairly low. Sure at .5% ABV it's "sessionable' (haha), but it's just not enticing to drink.

O'Doul's Amber from Anheuser-Busch