Budweiser

Gots
SCORE
Awful
BudweiserBudweiser
Notes: Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.
View: Beers
Reviews: 1,834 | Ratings: 6,768 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by TheLongBeachBum:
TheLongBeachBum from California

1.29/5  rDev -44.9%

I did it. 13 months in the States and I had my first “Bud” – from one of those little dinky Cans too. It was an experiment really. I wasn’t even going to post a Review, but I figure what the heck I needed to share the experience.

Hi, my name is TheLongBeachBum and I, er.., I.., er…, I… I, I, I, drink Bud…. (Shameful look at the ground). I’m over it now, and the group therapy is working well.

The King of Beers? And I thought they meant it was Regal – tut, Silly Me!!. I was told by a friend that it meant DON King!! - Well yeah, that makes sense now, loud, brash, opinionated, masterful selfish promoter of itself. Of course!!

I followed the very precise cellaring instructions on the Can to the letter, well picture, and served it very cold from the Fridge. I didn’t want any flavours to ruin my experience of this beer. Hey, do I look stupid ??, I know my beer !

A mellow introducti….. Hold on, what happened. As Monika Lewinsky once said (allegedly) No sooner as it touched my lips – and it was all over!!! Maybe if I let it warm up a bit, hmm… that’s better - the thin metallic rice flavours really shine through this simple beer. The beech wood process gives this beer a very “aged” feel; it could well be over a week old. You can tell that no money has been spared on the cheap ingredients. Perhaps I will let it warm up some more – yeah, now I get an Aroma - a sort of child-sick smell. Aftertaste - well I'm still trying to find the Before taste !! Wow, a true classic, I would be so proud of myself if I made this.

A very pale urine colored fluid that oh so wants to be “pure” likes it elder cousin, H2O, and it's trying hard.
Forgetful diuretic, with a goldfish-like attention span.

This Bud is NOT for me.

...and my friends at work said that I would not be impartial when I Reviewed this, Huh... questioning MY Beer Intergrity, what do they know??

Oct 20, 2002
RoyalT from Ohio

2.68/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance – Light yellow in the body with nice-looking carbonation. I was able to work a little head out of the can with some good arm action on the pour.

Smell – Classic American graininess. I thought for a second that I could smell some hops, but I was wrong.

Taste – More grain in the flavor with a touch of gummi-bear sweetness at the finish.

Mouthfeel – The carbonation is just right and it went down pretty smooth for me. No bad surprises here, which is important when striving for mediocrity.

Drinkability – Ice cold, can-fermented, and skunk free make this beer a winner.

Comments – The King is a good standard for American piss beers. It’s smooth, well carbonated, and refreshing. Of course, it’s mostly water with little to no body, but it goes good with pretzels, pizza, or a four pound salt lick.

Aug 17, 2003
Bito24 from Pennsylvania

Hey nit wits born After 1980. This was and is the beer that the vast majority of the beer drinking Americans consumed. Not an IPA and not a wheat, but has sold more gallons than all those beverages combined. It's a lager and that's a dirty word today. Well all I can say is "When you say Bud.... You said it all

Aug 04, 2016
llscotto from California

1.01/5  rDev -56.8%

Cutie reps at the bar had a computer set up to record commercials Q&A session for commercials should they like your answers....got a free Bud for my time. I smiled politely and accepted it, continuing to smile as I took a sip. But they could see in my eyes something was wrong. Skunky flavor, with a stale egg aftertaste. I plowed through a couple more sips before my taste buds over ruled and forced me to take a bow. A polite placement of the half full beer on the counter to check my phone then accidentally leave it behind as I walk away.

Aug 31, 2014
Pedalsteel from Missouri

4.71/5  rDev +101.3%

Hey, I have to agree with at least one other reviewer. Look, I love many craft beers but sometimes you just want the pure and honest taste of a Bud. IMHO, it has a unique refreshing character all it's own. An ice cold Bud at the end of a hard day sometimes is the just what the doctor ordered.

Sep 25, 2016
biboergosum from Canada (AB)

2.41/5  rDev +3%

A word to the wise - don't mock certain things when out drinking with certain people, people whose turn it is to buy the round. I'm just saying, but hey, lemons and lemonade...

A 20oz pint of this plops down on the bar, in a sparkly clean Bud Light glass - too much to hope for exact brand consistency, I suppose. The beer appears a crystal clear pale golden straw colour, with a bare modicum of thinly foamy, bubbly bone-white head, which leaves a surprising bit of spectral webbed lace around the glass as things sink away.

It smells of middling corn and grainy rice 'malt', a bit of stony hard water minerality, and damned near nothing in the way of hops. The taste is more breakfast cereal rice, with a lesser sickly corn sweetness, an ethereally faint, indistinct, New Jersey laboratory fruitiness, and, dum-da-da-dum: still no hops here folks.

The carbonation is a bit much up front, but skitters away soon enough, the body medium-light for the style, more than a bit watery, and smooth by committee diktat. This all makes for a plain, off-dry finish, and thankfully not very much of it.

Innocuous, and easy enough to put back, but in the same way as a sandwich made with Wonderbread, you'll feel sort of guilty and empty afterwards. The 'drinkability' hacks probably pushed the IBU rating here into the negative range, but I actually have no problem downing it, particularly if I'm distracted, and already a bit sauced, which, thankfully, I am. Still no reason to make this your beer of choice, though.

Feb 07, 2009
MFrye10 from North Carolina

Once your lips touch that nice cold bottle of Budweiser you will instantly look up to the skies above give Jesus a wink and a thumbs up because he has bestowed upon you the King of Beers! This heaven sent beer was made so that everyone can know what sweet mother freedom tastes like. You see old glory flying and you hear the bells of freedom singing. So kick back, enjoy and by God taste FREEDOM!

Jan 25, 2015
SocraticTortoise from Colorado

Excellent example of a shitty, mass-produced, rushed through fermentation and well-branded "beer". I am aghast that the bros gave it a score of 80, but it makes sense if you consider this poor excuse for fermented beverage within the category that it sits squarely in: American Adjunct Lager. It is in fact, Made in America, with Adjuncts, and somehow passes for a lager, which really gets me, because the beechwood is added not for flavor (plywood doesn't give off that much phenols after the heat and pressure treatment) but rather to strip the yeast out of the solution prior to actual finishing the fermentation. Becasue of the rush-job, one is assaulted by a load of acetaldehyde on every sip, making it seem like someone poured apple juice into your shitty can of shitty beer, which would be a relief, if it were actually juice. I will never support a company so bent on ruining the industry that they dominate, I can't even bring myself to pay for any beers that any of the breweries that AB has acquired produce; it is too painful and harms the industry.

Bad beer! Bad!

Apr 27, 2015
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

3.88/5  rDev +65.8%

Crystal clear. Very light yellowish color topped by a full and foamy bright white head that holds very well. The carbonation is quite fine, leaving thin steady streams of tiny bubbles rising steadily to the surface. Nice appearance! The aroma is quite limited with just vaugue indications of malt, hops, fermentation esters and alcohol. The body is light with a gentle carbonation and a slightly creamy mouthfeel. The flavor is quite one-sided, however, with only a very light malt character ever so gently buoyed by hop bitterness and a light "apple" character from fermentation. The finish is "short and sweet" with only a residual malt and next to non-existant bitterness. Refreshing! This is the best selling beer in the world for a reason. Although limited in character, it displays no flaws whatsoever. There is nothing even remotely objectable about it - a true "beer for the masses".

Aug 22, 2002
yEaRiGhTissiK from Indiana

The look is a straw yellow color with a 2 finger head. Beers of this genre tend to all look similar.

The smell is of rice and grains, one doesn't pick up much of a hoppy smell at all, maybe slightly in the background, but this beer doesn't smell bitter whatsoever.

The taste is the best part about Budweiser aka the King of Beers. It is a simply delicious taste that is smooth and crisp EVERY TIME. It tastes of grain and rice not hops. This beer doesn't taste bitter or hoppy whatsoever. It is just the perfect beer for every occasion that one can think of. The taste is always the same, they get it right every time.

The feel is a great part about drinking Budweiser. It has a nice carbonation and is as drinkable as water. Although it's as drinkable as water, it definitely has flavor. The mouthfeel is bubbly and smooth and each one goes down faster than the last.

Budweiser is an amazing beer. People look down on it because it's a macro beer mass produced not craft etc. There's a reason why this beer is the King of Beers, because they have made the perfect beer for every occasion. Beer snobs step aside and grab one while watching the game or grilling out. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. It just goes with everything, everywhere, every situation. The Budweiser Brewery Tour in St. Louis was amazing also. Much more appreciation for this beer when you see the steps needed to brew this beer in person.

Sep 15, 2015
CarlMart from Texas

1.64/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

The only way I'd drink this garbage is if I've been working my ass off all day under the burning sun, have absolutely no money in my pocket and a friend happens to have spend the last of his cash on a six of this. Needless to say, that's not a common event. Drinking this is pretty close to drinking mineral water, it may have an okay feel if I'm dying of thirst under the burning sun of southern Texas, but that's about it. I don't understand how this is the best selling beer. People amaze me more and more as time goes by, not in the good way either.

May 22, 2016
TigerSweat from Ohio

2.76/5  rDev +17.9%

Look, it is what it is. Budweiser's isn't goin to wow you with complex notes or wonderful aroma... It is, however, very drinkable and finishes nicely. I think Bud has a perception problem because (among other things) Bud Light is so terribly retched. People remember how awful Light is so they assume that Bud is just as bad... That's not true.

** I've been drinking craft for over a decade. I used to scoff at the idea of drinking a few AAL's but as time went by, I slowly came back to try the old stand byes... I can actually appreciate these beers now while also realizing that there are better brews out there. People who look down their nose at beers like Bud haven't yet hit that point in their beer evolution to fully appreciate it for what it is and just enjoy it. I was a hardcore hop head for years but i feel like I'm burnt out on it. Let me know if this type of evolution has happen to any of you guys yet

Dec 09, 2017
jakesnake66 from Mississippi

3.53/5  rDev +50.9%

How ironic my first review is Budweiser! For 20 years I've consumed almost nothing but craft beer and traditional imports - most notably Belgians, but also plenty of English porters/stouts and other dark, rich, endlessly satisfying more costly selections. What inspired me to review Budweiser was my weekend with friends and NO access to the beers I was accustomed to. There was plenty of everything you see on TV: Bud Light, Miller Light, Michelob Ultra. And since this was a *sophisticated* group, one cooler of Corona! (sorry for the sarcasm). I really didn't want to partake of any of those, so I drove to the local mart and grabbed a 12 pack of Budweiser in 12oz bottles. I soaked them in a cooler full of slushy ice for about 3 hours, and as we began preparing dinner I popped open my first Budweiser in a quarter century. As the glass tipped and the yellow/golden-clear American classic crept up the glass toward my mouth I sort of braced myself, reflecting on all the Cinq Cents, Corsendonk Pale, Westmalle Tripel, and Founders Oatmeal Breakfast Stouts that had conditioned my palette in 2018. Is this going to suck? Will I have to drink horse pi$$ all weekend?

As that ice-cold, crisp, rise-based nectar hit home my first impression was..."WOW!! That is GOOOD!!" and then I waited on the "bad"...the *something* that I was certain would arrive and justify and clarify all the hatred and derision this beer has attracted among my craft-beer-addicted buddies. There *had* to be a reason my friends snubbed their noses and chuckled as they passed the Anheuser-Busch section in our favorite beer stores. "I'm ready for it," I decided. But....the *bad* never showed up! This $.80 beer finished with the same clean, crisp (damn...now I sound like a beer commercial), refreshing, and TASTY character it started with! As I finished that sample, then another...I could reach no other conclusion than I was drinking a DAMN GOOD beer! No, it's not "complex." It's not "rich." There are no "notes of pine" or "hints of orange peel" or "texture of fine Swiss chocolate" or "subtle aroma of peat or almonds." None of that whatsoever.

What there is, though, is gobs of good, clean beer flavor without any lingering aftertaste. Recently I heard a craft beer aficionado refer to Budweiser as an "example of the watery crap Americans want these days" - embarrassingly unaware that Budweiser was formulated in the 1870s. I'm not saying they got everything right. But they got very few things wrong. And for my $.80 Budweiser is an absolute slam dunk!

Jul 17, 2018
ManapuaMan from Massachusetts

2.85/5  rDev +21.8%

Let's all try not to be assholes for a moment here - this is a solid beer. Drank cold from the bottle on a hot day or a from a chilled pint glass with a juicy burger and fries? Hits the spot. Consistent, lightly floral notes up front that lead to the classic (overly derided) wheat/cereal taste. No bitter aftertaste, nothing cloying, nothing in the way of mouthfeel. It won't ruin your palette or steal the thunder from a well cooked meal, but it won't impress you either. There's a place for beer like this. After a couple of meaty IPAs I'll reach for a Bud to give my taste buds a well-deserved break and wind down the evening.

Dec 31, 2015
down_to_clown_69 from North Carolina

4.2/5  rDev +79.5%

Budweiser, budweiser, budweiser. Where to start with you, you old salty dog? You were a constant companion during my Freshman 45 and never faltered on delivering your "World Renowned" flavor.

"Porkchops in a can." I hear you say. More like "Budweiser is the man."

This comes served to me in an aluminum bottle, incrested with the seal of American prosperity ("Budweiser" written in a slight cursive font) with the promise to get me slightly closer to that American dream with every sip. Getting drunk off Budweiser and screaming at the cat that things were better the way they used to be.

What happened to the flying cars they promised? And who is this Cardishpanini family they keep talking about on the news?

I think I'll just crack another Budweiser with Andy Griffith and Barney Fife and watch the time tick on.

Now where's that cat...

Mar 01, 2017
jaialainut from Connecticut

the title of king of beers says it all, sure its massed produced and thats because of its popuarity.
very tasty and refreshing beer that i can find at any great sporting events.
beer snobs of the world have a negative opinion, but where ever you go you will see this great tasting beer being sold and thats the bottom line.

Aug 04, 2011
CraigP83 from Minnesota

2.03/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I decided to revisit this old classic. Purchased a 6pack of 12oz cans for $6.99. This beer pours your hay/straw color with good carbonation and quite the head. The smell is rice and yeast, Taste is about on par with other American Lagers, a little bit crisp and not as water down as others within the style. 5% abv is hidden well. I'm going to come right out and say this is not a terrible beer, the worst part about it is that I paid over a dollar a can when I could have gotten a better crafted beer with higher quality ingredients at roughly the same cost in something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. So for that reason I was left with some buyers remorse.

May 15, 2015
KingOfTheMarkChads from Guernsey

Right, what you should know about Mark Chads is that they are the greatest beers in the world. They're that good they cure baldness, straighten teeth and add a few inches to your manhood. If you stand with one of these bad boys you'll look cooler than Steve McQueen in Bullitt.
I'm going to share the secret to it all with everyone because I'm a generous guy.

Step 1: Ask the barman for a Mark Chad
Step 2: Confirm that it is ice cold
Step 3: Apply your bottle cosey
Step 4: Stick your finger in the top of the bottle and pop it
Step 5: Skull that bad boy before it gets warm, but make sure you look cool when you do it. (Try leaning against a pillar or wall. If a pool table is available for a game then even better, the Mark Chad makes you play like Ronnie O'Sullivan on ritalin!)
Step 6: Leave the smallest amount in the bottom of the bottle
Step 7: Repeat previous steps 15-20 times
Step 8: Spark a J whilst all the birds give you their phone numbers

Congrats on learning about the king of beers!

Nov 11, 2017
undertakerfreak1127 from Michigan

Someone tell me how much "The Bros" were paid to give this swill a rating of 80.

You want constructive, BA? How can you be constructive when there's literally nothing to construct upon? OK, I'll give it my best shot:

Appearance: Piss

Smell: Piss

Taste: Piss (or what piss would taste like)

Mouthfeel: Kind of what a mouth full of prostate juice would feel like

Overall: The undisputed king of cheap, overrated dumpster sludge - Pissweiser.

I tried my best BA, but sometimes a beer is so bad that it's incomprehensible beyond anything but piss. That beer is Budweiser. I would drink the contents of a colostomy bag before imbibing this swill again.

Jan 15, 2013
Ahonky from New York

3.16/5  rDev +35%

In the spirit of America I bought my annual six-pack of Budweiser in cans. In a deep ice chest that sat for 5 hours bringing them down to optimal consumption temperature (ice fucking cold).

Pours the color of beer. Head towers for about a good minute or so then reduces down leaving random splats around the glass as I work my way quickly through the glass.

It is incredibly important to not let Budweiser warm, to any real degree. In its ice cold state there is nothing wrong with this beer. No major flaws, but also not much to contemplate.

I wouldn't make this beer more hoppy. I do wonder what it might taste like without rice - but I'm not entirely convinced it would be better.

I finished the sixer over two days. See you next year, BUDdy. You still have a friend here in NY.

Jul 05, 2018
StonedTrippin from Colorado

2.89/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

this beer has an undue bad name. all their other products are garbage, from shock top to black crown, to bud light and on and on, but, this particular brew, the original, ive always preferred to its competitors, and it does have a useful part to play I think. it pours a yellow straw colored watery soda fizz mess with an average white head. the nose is a lot like the can, even when its from a bottle or on tap. an odd metallic smell, but there is some grain in here, and I can get hops if I focus on it. the flavor has a refreshing mellowness to it, and while this may be all cut up with corn and rice and whatever else, it does retain some nice malt flavors, light as they are, and the hopping is crisp. I mean, im never going to go out and buy this, but in a tiny foreign airport, a concert at some beer wasteland, or a ballpark with no better options, I actually really enjoy a Budweiser. it is also the first beer I ever legally bought in the united states when I was 21 returning from overseas, so it has some sentimental function as well. to me its the classic American working mans beer, nothing special, but far from repulsive too. say what you will about it, but it aint half as bad as a miller or coors, although black crown is unforgivable.

edit: ice cold cans on the golf course...

Feb 24, 2013
Raime from Greenland

3.63/5  rDev +55.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Re-reviewing after about six years. Found a rare FRESH fifteen pack for a meager $9.49 plus tax and deposit at the Monroe Sunoco.

Look - Crystal Clear golden hue with a large, bone white frothy white head and ample carbonation to back things up. Leaves a fair level of stick upon a finished pint.

Smell - Now let me be very clear. i've been doing this for a long time and I've drank thousands of cans of budweiser. You can tell the difference between a fresh can or bottle and an old can or bottle. There's a high level of clove with a slight banana ( believe it or not! ). The usual adjunct suspects stay minimal.

Taste - Almost completely follows the nose with that banana aspect turned up a bit. Of course the adjuncts are present but they are supposed to be.

Feel - Still a tad rough regardless of how fresh the brew is with a cold cutting carbonation. Swallows rather moderate and the taste doesn't linger.

Overall - Believe it or not this stuff isn't the spawn of Satan you're led on to believe it is. I see at least one new member a week bashing this for brownie points. Is it a record breaking world class triple ipa with haze reminiscent of snoop dogg's house? No. But, if you can buy it FRESH, you've got a cheap, moderately tasty poundable can of beer that may only hurt your head the next day. Quit bashing just because it's Budweiser, you look like an idiot.

Jun 10, 2017
ThannyRooCrew from North Carolina

4.57/5  rDev +95.3%

Budweiser is a very good beer, and it is the Great American Lager. Also the price makes it that much better. It seems to be the norm for people to hate on Budweiser, but it's a very solid beer so don't listen to them. Definitely my go to beer when watching a baseball or hockey game.

Apr 19, 2015
KLHBB from Colorado

2.66/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is what it is and there's a place for this beer. My brother-in-law calls it an appetizer beer, one that you drink to quench thirst before enjoying something else. It won't spoil your appetite before you dive into hops, alcohol and Belgian sugar. Also when you're fatigued by such things. Anyway, I haven't rated this so : palest yellow, cereal hop smell and taste, light refreshing feel. If rather have a kitsch or helles, but I'm not pouring it down the drain.

Jun 23, 2018
sirmartinez from Hungary

1.51/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

British import from 33cl bottle.
Light yellow, barely any foam, no lacing, no smell.
First sip feels light, with no lager texture and taste whatsoever. At least doesn't taste like dishwasher fluid.
This is barely a beer, quite confused by the "King of Beers" title.

Aug 15, 2017