Love Belgian Beer?

BudweiserBudweiser

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

Added by kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Reviews: 1,632 | Ratings: 5,957
1.86/5  rDev -23.5%

My uncles bought this fine brew for Canadian thanksgiving. Not to kick a gift horse in them mouth, I accepted a brew. I didn't pour it, and I made damn sure it was ice cold.

First I studied the label. It actually says "We know of know other beer the costs so much or takes so long to brew". Right. Later on the label it actually proudly lists rice as one of it's pure ingredients. Off to a bad start.

I don't even smell this one. Not worth it. Taste is sweeeet, almost syrupy. Must be the "Beechwood aging process" that produced that. I think I can hear Anhueser executives laughing in the distance.

This is like getting shot in the face with a corn gun. Best drunk when screaming at a football game and eating hot wings, so as to mask the flavor.

1.1/5  rDev -54.7%

it is the worse beer than I have proven in my life, its flavor to rice, also lets much flavor to me to sugar I do not recommend it, all the beers of anheuser busch know me the same thing , this beer forme not had a appeararance, smell, taste or mouthfeel.

2.1/5  rDev -13.6%

I've had enough Budweisers in my life, mostly offered to me, that there was a reason I tended to steer clear of them, it just wasn't what I was looking for in my beer drinking. Never occurred to me to review it until a recent thread got a little out of hand getting the consistency of the stuff confused with the quality of the stuff. Apropos to that, I thought I'd finally come to my own official opinion and review the stuff.

Went all out for this one, skipped over the 24 pack with free t-shirt, and grabbed a 950ml tallboy can instead. No freshness date to be found on the can, but there is some sort of cryptic stamp on the bottom of it. Pours out of the can a pale uninspiring clear yellow, but with an impressive 2-finger snow white head. It was a nice show while it lasted, as retention leaves a great deal to be desired.

Faint aroma, not much to pick up except some thin malt and a hint of sour grains. After a while that mild sourness is all I can pick up, not that it is very overpowering, but there really isn't anything else on the radar.

Flavour? What flavour? This stuff is bland, honestly, honestly bland, almost as if flour were used as an adjunct instead of rice. It's not a bad flavour per se (until it warms up a bit), but the fault of this lager is the near complete and utter lack of flavour. As a regular Budweiser drinker, and there are many many of you out there, you're obviously not drinking this alcoholic beverage for the sake of the taste--perhaps the lack of taste--, so are the vast hordes of Bud drinkers out there just drinking Bud to get drunk? A little tipsy watching the game? A faint buzz after work? All the hype must surround the consistency of how bland and unthreatening this beer is, a beer for people who don't like the taste of beer. Or is that Bud Light?

As the realm of most macro produced lagers lies within the fizzy watery texture, I have to admit this Bud I'm sampling has a decent mouthfeel for the style, all things considered. Hell, I've tried pale ales and ambers more watery than this stuff. Bud, you get a straight C for average for mouthfeel, which is better than most of your cousins can do. No caustic burn across the palate and down the throat with poorly mismanaged adjuncts, you keep your additives and preservatives in line, and I will salute that at least.

Overall I can't see myself ever buying another Budweiser again, I paid my ticket for the ride, took the trip, and walked away with no thrills, and yet no spills. Mediocre to the extreme, the wishy-washy middle road. The Charlie Brown of beers in fact, always talks a good game but continually fails to kick that football in the end. I have no doubt in my mind that they spend unfathomable amounts of money to produce this beer, to use quality ingredients, to maintain state-of-the-art sanitized production facilities. And yet in the end they waste all of that producing this wallflower of a beer, which requires countless amounts of clever advertising dollars to market. After all, without the help of a well-paid PR department, you wouldn't approach this easily overlooked kid at the high school dance either. It's all about hype, not substance.

3.02/5  rDev +24.3%

I was given this in a blind taste test. This is something everybody should try. I was able to identify it as a macrobrew based on some of its characteristics (thank goodness) but I believe everybody that slams this beer would think differently if they tasted it blind. It has more malt goodness than you'd think. I rated it, as one should, against the rest of the American Macro Lager style.

Appearance: Pale yellow with quickly receeding head and no retention, very slight lacing.

Smell: I was surprised by how malty the smell is. There were very few traces of corn or rice in what I smelled. I was tasting this totally blind, in a glass, and from the smell I would have guessed this was a strong-ish lager… that was obviously dashed once I tasted it.

Taste: The taste is malty, and I did not detect the corn/rice until about my 4th sip. It's rather undercarbonated and very watery. I thought this might have been a home brewed lager where not enough malt was used. There is a very short guest appearance of hops like somebody running past a window. I think this is a decent beer and one that people would enjoy more/rate higher if they tasted it blind like I did. I was still able to identify it as an American Macro Lager after a few sips, but the lack of expectation allowed me to appreciate that this is an average beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is light, watery and insubstantial.

Drinkability: This is a drinkable beer. That is partially due to its being so light and watery. It would be more drinkable if it had a little more going on. Its price makes it somewhat drinkable too.

2.5/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

(glassware): 20 ouce glass pint

(temperature): 42F/6C

(appearance): pale yellow/straw color; head foams slightly and dissipates quickly. On a carbonation scale of 1-10 (10 being fizzy soda pop), this is a 6.

(smell): Nothing outstanding, bit of a grassy nose, otherwise clean.

(taste): Small amount of hops noted, mostly rice.

(mouthfeel): Smooth but thin (to me).

(drinkability): Not horribly bad on a warm summer day, could have one or two before switching to something else. Like other 'cheaper' brands, I tend to use Bud as a thrist-quencher.

(foods that pair well): pizza, spicy (Indian curry in my case).

2.46/5  rDev +1.2%

This pours clear, pale/golden in color with a white foamy head (decent retention). Little smell to it, but a little fruity. Taste is a little overly sweet for me. Mouthfeel is what you could expect, light clean and fizzy. Not especially drinkable because of flavor, but it is what it is, easy to drink.

1.93/5  rDev -20.6%

Ah, the self styled "King of Beers". My disdain for it has grown rapidly as I've aged as a drinker and a man but I still have a small modicum of repect for it..maybe its a patriotic thing...plus some of their commercials have been among my all time favorites.
Real pale, dull yellow color with an amazing disappearing head.. Strong nose of rice malt, not so tasty .
The taste is distinctive without being good. It's true that nothing else tastes quite like it but that's probably by choice. A little hoppy bitterness is a positive but otherwise the taste is flat and watery, thin but sudsy in your mouth..not smooth or satisfying.
I don't hate this beer but I wouldn't drink it except in an emergency

1.75/5  rDev -28%

This was a beer I would pick up in college if I didn't have much money. Not worth while as there are much better beers out there like Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada. Not too impressive as this is one of the worse beers put there despite it being a macrobrew.

Presentation: 12oz brown glass generic stubby bottle, red and blue on white label

Appearance: pale straw in color, medium short living head, no lacing

Smell: hint of grain

Taste: light body, crisp mouthfeel, minimal mail and hops

Notes: you drink it only if you're really desperate

1.18/5  rDev -51.4%

Appearance:

Pale, pale, PALE yellow, loose white head and heavy carbonation.

Smell:

Very little. A little grainy flavour, maybe the rice. There's almost nothing there at all.

Taste:

Fizzy mouthfeel. I can't say anything about the taste because, damn, it doesn't have a taste. Like seriously. OK, maybe there's a (very, very faint) hint of lemon? Yeah, it maybe tastes like mineral water with a lemon wedge. Is this beer?

Overall:

I guess I wasn't expecting anything at all from this beer. That being said, I guess it did live up to my expectations of it. Haha.

3.07/5  rDev +26.3%

This is the beer you go for when you want to simply get messed up. At $12 a 20 pack, it's exceptionally easy to get drunk off this, especially considering the smooth texture. If you're looking for a real beer, stay away, but for parties, barbecues, and just getting smashed, this is your beer.

2.3/5  rDev -5.3%

Like MGD this stuff is contaminated spring water in a bottle.

A = Amber coloured with a thick foam head.

S = Fruitty mixed with skunkiness

T = CONTAMINATED SPRING WATER. Carbonated nothing. Niether here nore there. Flavourless.

M = Moderate carbonation so you can drink it with little complaints.

D = Expensive in Australia. Much better beers availiable.

Please Note: I'm not bashing this beer. Its just the beer calls itself the king of beers. It ain't. Also don't mix this beer up with Budweiser Budvar. Thats not a bad beer. Its just expensive drivel. Not recommended.

2.41/5  rDev -0.8%

This beer tastes better in the bottle than in a mug. Their is always a weird off funky taste to this beer, maybe from the rice or beachwood, but that off taste is what turns me off for this beer. Beer made popular by huge advertising campaigns, this is just macro swill. Not too bad though.

2.9/5  rDev +19.3%

Came free with my hotdog.

Pale yellow with no lasting head or lacing.

Smell is adjunct rice with no real malt or hop presence. Slight grain back end.

Taste is light crisp and watery. Hey, where's my beer?

I needed something to wash down my snack, and free is free. It is what it is, and that is that. I'll take it over the ultra cheap and it is pretty clean and crisp but not my first choice.

2.98/5  rDev +22.6%

Can obtained from the discount bin of a local liquor store. Freshness date is 17 Jun 05. Pours a single finger pure white fizzy head that settles rapidly to clumps on the surface and then a ring around the glass. The beer is crystal clear, very light straw in color and has a single line of tiny bubbles rising from the bottom. Smells almost like nothing. A very gentle hint of malt sweet after the beer had warmed. The pull tastes like water but this quickly turns to a dark malty with a carbonation burn/release. Then comes a malty sweet with some honey and melon charatecteristics. This late rising sweet fades as a very gentle hop floral rises. Tastes like a mix of 'plunky' hallertauer with a gritty 'spalt'. Extremely light body and heavily carbonated. A bit darker than I expected for a beer that's said to be so light in flavor. Scored to style, not to my taste preference.

2.84/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured this from a 12 oz. can. It pours a light straw with a quickly dissapearing head. The smell is sorta corny some malts too. Not the most pleasant. The taste is sorta malty but the hops are there. Noot really tastey though, but they are there. Combined with crisp carbonation your tounge gets a little tingly. I would want this one to be a little sweeter but as it is it is still fairly drinkable and refreshing american lager.

2.18/5  rDev -10.3%

Reveiwed once before on tap at the Anheuser Busch Brewery and had a plesant experience. However, this time from the can. Looks brightly straw with small head retention and small lacing. Smells faint of light malt, corn, rice, and maybe other cereal grains. A bit astringent and metalic. Tastes powdery and malty. Light buttery and corn flavors dominate. A bit of cidery flavors present to the palate and in the finish. Noble hop varieties are nicely balanced but lend no flavor. Finishes scrubbed from over carbonation. Aftertaste is powdery and mildly sweet. Fades quickly. Crisp yet remains slick to the toung and metalic.

2.86/5  rDev +17.7%

Here's the deal. Bud is good at what it does. This is an American adjunct lager produced for the masses. It's easy to slam this and other mass produced American beers, but remember, we're not judging the style as a whole. Bud is a crisp, refreshing, drinkable beer, although not heavy on flavor. It would never be my first choice (nor would any other mass-produced lagers), but if I'm at a cookout or pool party and the host offers Budweiser, I'm not going to complain.

2.16/5  rDev -11.1%

This ought to put my ratings in perspective. Rice beer. Gotta love it. How could this possibly be any blander? Hmm. I know. Cut it half in water and call it Bud Light. That would make it blander. Anyway, this is the very definition of quaffable, much like water. The carbonation is nice and it does have a good finish. The flavor is grainy, the smell is ever so slightly grainy and there are some hops in there. But lets be honest. I come here to rate real ales and lagers made thoughtfully by people who respect the tradition, science, art and mystery of brewing. This one doesn't fall into that category.

2.15/5  rDev -11.5%

Her name was Wendy, and she was my wife's best friend. She had married her music teacher after High School in Southern California. We went to visit them in their Manhattan Beach home, and he brought out the Bud and the bean dip. I have never been sicker - after two Bud's, I tossed my waffles, and have never tasted that beer again. Sorry for the anecdote, but this is not beer, this is swill. If you like it, at least try to broaden your palate. As Stone Brewing puts it so well, "Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies." Pale, thin, synthetic beers like Bud are mass produced in stainless steel tanks for the unsuspecting masses, and million dollar ad campaigns keep it alive. Beechwood aging is NOT a good thing.

2.15/5  rDev -11.5%

This is my first Budweiser. I bought it for the Aluminum Bottle. Yes, I got taken in by the marketing dept. I listed this under a can for I figured the aluminum would impress the taste as opposed to listing it under a glass bottle.
I've had the Bud Light, and I must say for this flagship beer, I was expecting more. To me, it looks & seems the same as the light.
It poured a very see-thru straw color. The head, well carbonated, did fizz alittle. The was white and seemed to hold for alittle while only to lace in spots.
The aroma was slight, not offending of grain and dry rice. The taste seemed watery with a bland grain/rice base that gives off a slight, but quick hop shot, only to crisp the mouth quickly and then leaves a dry feel behind.
Like I said, I expected a bit more over its light couterpart, for a flagship beer this big.

2.65/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a light straw color with little to no head. Slight lacing, faint hops aroma, but overall pretty bland. Tase is a mix of hops, and something unfamiliar, possibly the rice? Just another american macro with little taste and reasonably high drinkability...look elsewhere for the "king of beers".

2.88/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a pale yellowor slight golden color. Little head which doesnt stick around for long. The scent is slightly malty. I assume wheat or other weak grains. This is what the taste comes out as also. Slightly grainy, slightly malty. Overall a decent flavor, somewhat stale thought. Typical harsh american macrobrew.

2.42/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is my first ever Bud. Waiter looked rather oddly at me when I asked for a glass, and I can see why as it came out the thinnest palest nastiest yellow I have ever seen with absolutely no head whatsoever. Smell is almost nonexistant--the faint whiff I caught reminded me of cheerios. The taste was much better than I expect, very light malt and corn flavor, but nothing offsetting or bad. The mouthfeel was also nice--medium bodied with a med/high carbonation level for a nice refreshing drink. For years I have been slamming this as a bad beer, but it's really just a good example of a bland beer, which has it's time and place.

3.14/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am going to rate this solely on the fact that it is an American macro Lager and nothing more... The color is a light gold color, VERY translucent with a smell that is of wheat and not much more. The taste is surprisingly full, with wheat in the first part, sugar in the second and ends with a refreshing burst of water. If you are looking for an incredibly inexpensive beer that you can drink MUCH of, you have found it!

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch