Budweiser | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

Added by kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Reviews: 1,661 | Ratings: 6,086
2.67/5  rDev +9.9%

Born on October 19, 2005, Happy 2 month anniversary, bottle of Budweiser!

Paley-pale, palest of the pale yellow, and crystal clear, head starts thick, then slides down to a negligible ring, always bone white, until it's a shallow pool of bubbles.

Aroma: bright, sweet, then empty. Far-off echo of hops, but mostly vegetal, with a switch of straw. Corn and rice, you bet.

Taste: Wetness crowds the scene first in here, lots of water in this. Thin bodied, ...and I'm searching and scratching for any real kind of flavor. Water and corn, plus fizz...?

Harsh carbonation, very active on the palate, extraordinarily fizzy all over the tongue, and that's not a good thing. To me, anyway. I'm wincing as I drink, and I have witnessed plenty of people toss it back without trouble. Relax, relax...

Dull, dry finish. Nothing resonates in the memory, or the mind, but neither was anything supposed to...knock 'em back, set up all over again...why worry about taste?

There's nothing really wrong with The King of Beers, but neither is there anything good about it.

Crisp, yes. Refreshing...maybe. The carbonation bugs me too much, I'll take water instead. Smooth? Maybe, but at what cost? I could use a little flavor...hello, malt? Hops? Drinkability? Mmmm...not for this cat, I could drink it, but I'd be so bored, my soul would shudder and thoughts of self-ruination would rumble in my brain.

Good thing there are plenty of other choices.
But, if you dig it, hey, knock yourself out. Don't let me get in your way.

2.19/5  rDev -9.9%

This is it, the King of Beers!! Actually, this was my LAST beer I had to drink to finish up my Beer Club at a local pizza pad and watering hole so it was worth the $50 gift certificate I now get for drinking (or at least buying) them all. Honestly, the first three sips weren't bad and reminded me of good times tailgating at ND games. Then it went downhill and never gained steam again. I've got nothing more crititcal to write that hasn't been written 421 times before.

2.2/5  rDev -9.5%

This beer came a disappointing and listless yellow with no head. Smelled of grassy corn with a slight bit of hop dryness. Tasted of more dirty corn and mildew. Just a little better than its “light” brother. Finished surprisingly dry on the roof of my mouth. mouth feel was light and crisp with a pretty big carbonation. On a high note, it was very easy to drink.

“Nothing to see here folks. Move along.”

1.5/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clear yellow, fizzy white head, no lace, sparkly. Smell is sweet, corn, honey and a little citrus. Taste is almost non-existant, some sweet honey, corn, rice, little citrus, basically just bland and tasteless. Mouthfeel is light bodied, highly carbonated, generally lame.

2.15/5  rDev -11.5%

Hmmm... not much to say here except... Its beer? The bottle is a little better than the can, but that is expected, I'd say draft is the best way to "enjoy" this. It smells like rice, like most american beers do. I poured it into a glass and wasnt satisfied, even my pilsner glass was mad at me. hardly any smell, well I take that back, it smells like high school or a bowling alley, ah I know, a KORN concert. Really no hops or malt, kinda like water with bubbles. It's good if you are on a budget or are just looking to get wasted in your friends basement. I wouldnt recommend this beer...blah

2.2/5  rDev -9.5%

Well, when you can't afford to splash out just a little, or there's not much of a selection. I guess it will just have to do. This has never been, nor will it ever be a first choice for any real beer advocate.

Even in high school I was able to splash out just a little, and gone with something a little better in quality and taste.

Unfortunatly, althought this is one of the best selling beers in the nation, I'm sure most of that has to do with price, and availability as oppose to taste.

Better than Miller high life, and comparable to Coor. I would give this a miss, unless your really desperate. If your staying in this range, you may want to consider MGD. Or if your willing to go a littler International, go with Molson Canadian.

Indy :o)

2.18/5  rDev -10.3%

The "King of Beers" huh? Maybe one of the better american macro beers, but that's not saying much.
Pours a very straw-like pale yellow with a small foamy head.

Smells of corn, rice, and very little malt. I cannot smell a hop presence. Maybe they put the hops in for 1 minute or 2 and then strain it out.

Taste of a very little amount of malt, mostly corny and whatever. Very small amount of hops. This beer probably wouldn't be so bad it it had more hop bite to it.

2.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

We have had this pouring in my Firehouse for the last 100 years. I have to say that on tap, unlike virtually every other tap macro product, Bud simply sucks. Massively over carbonated with an overly heavy, almost oily composition for the product, this mass macro is sure to leave you wanting for more and wanting for less of cerebral pulsations. Highly disappointing on tap, the product is better tasting in every other available packaging known to mankind. Yes even the dreaded aluminum can.

2.2/5  rDev -9.5%

bought this tonight at my local store that carries a lot of foreign beers. haven't had a bud in ages but i thought i should review it to see how it compares to j-macs (japanese macros) i never thought i would score it this high, but again, like with heineken i think this beer gets bashed way more than it deserves. it's really not that bad. obviously it's not as orgasmic as the last birra trappista you quaffed, but it's not dog shit.

a very pale clear yellow, decent white head. this does not look as bad as you would expect, certainly equal to or better than some j-macs. smells corny, extremely corny, not much for your nose, not too bad either although there is a definite chemical metallic scent that's not too inviting

not impressed, but not repulsive. easy going down but i give it a low drinkability score because it's SO BORING. if you give me 1 minute i can name 100 beers with more taste and more character that would be more fun to drink.

3.15/5  rDev +29.6%

Very pale yellow. With a reasonable head. The smell was on the weaker side but perhaps some citrus hops suggesting a refreshing taste.

This beer is refreshing and does contain some complex flavours. A lite citrus hop profile well balanced bitterness and deep bready malts. Malt and hop profiles last on the palette.

I have no problems saying that I like this beer. I dont care what other beer snobs have to say because it is marketed to perfection and doesnt lie. Its a consistently reasonable beer for a reasonable price and thats all it wants to be. It is an American Adjunst Larger and its probably one of the best.

So leave it alone, if you don't like it then don't drink it but certainly don't bag it for doing what its trying to do well.

1.78/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

rather pale with little head retention , beyond the initial pour.When it was there it was fine and white.The beer laced to the bottom of the glass.
The smell was uninteresting macro lager stale water/chemical Typical and boring.
Initially this tasted like a cross between macro lagers typical of Europe and Australia.
The maltish background (Europe) was contrasted and not particularly well harmonised with a dull bitterness(Australia).
At first I thought it was going to be an acceptable compromise, but the more of the glass I drank I realised it was only emphasising the worst of the 2 styles.
I had little expectation , but felt obliged to drink and review one of the worlds most popular beers
It is not surprising that Craft beers are becoming popular in the US if this is the standard fare

1.41/5  rDev -42%

After watching the History Channel's Modern Marvels about Brewing, I thought I might give this a try. I got this at the VFW for $1 bottle and somebody bought this for me. Good thing too.

Poured a pale yellow color with a head the dissipated fast. The only aroma that I smelled was just some kind of sweet smell. Not sweet hops or malt, just sweet. The taste was that of bland grains and nothing else. The mouthfeel was that of an average macro, watery and light. Since this beer is cheap, you could drink a couple of these in a sitting.

2.46/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Brought home a can from a party at work. Worth an extra review at least. Pours out a bright, crystal clear gold color. Bubbles stream up through it, though the head faded away to nothingness pretty quickly. Grainy, sweet nose. Flavor is light, almost tasteless malt, with no detectable hops and only the vaguest of bitterness. Finishes clean and, well, empty. Very light bodied.

Budweiser does compare favorably, in my opinion, to Coors, Miller, and many other mass American lagers, in that it has no unpleasant character. Thus I give it a slightly below-average score. Nothing especially good, but nothing too bad either. Just.... mediocre.

2.11/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours a very, very pale yellow with a steady foamy head that stays for quite a while. Nose is very slight and grassy with a faint urine aroma.

Taste is neutral, a little sweet. Light grainy flavor, no sign of bitterness or hops, not real malty either. Not a whole lot of anything, finishes clean, no off flavors.

Mouthfeel is smooth but very light and watery, might even be considered refreshing. There is very little bad to be said about this beer -- it is decent and clean -- but there is also very little good to contribute as it is too much "like sex in a canoe."

2.65/5  rDev +9.1%

Golden clear with white head.

Faint grain aroma.

Thin malt with grains and rice husk on the palate with an unobtusive bitterness. Finishes so clean, really clean.

Light just short of watery bodied crisp carbonation.

So thirst quenching but gosh darnit thats not why beer was invented. Better than the other macros, but not the "King of Beers" by any means.

2.11/5  rDev -13.2%

I had this at sports bar with only macros on tap. Its really pale, like a helles mixed with 2/3 water. The head is average and leaves a good amount of lace. The aroma is very light and just a bit of malt and rice. The taste is watery with a tight malt base and a bit of hops and plasticy flavors mixing. Rice but thankfully not DMS is evident. The mouthfeel is thin and highly carbonated.

I only had one pint. Absolutely boring, just like crappy Canadian macros. Maybe better in that there arent any nasty vegetal flavors, just rice.

1.94/5  rDev -20.2%

I didn't expect the "King of Beers" to be this underwelming. It pours a fairly deep gold color. The beer has a fair amount of a frothy head which suggests carbination. The head doesn't stick around long however. The smell is bad, sickly sour. The taste isn't very strong at all. It reminded me of a light beer. The blandness of rice is there but no hops. It is very drinkable, which is the best quality of this beer. The hops do show up once the beer gets a little wamer. This decreases the drinkability however because it also turns sharp and sour like the smell, besides nobody wants warm beer. So basically this beer is only good for some ice cold chuging. I would never buy it myself but I guess it is a good party beer because it is weak and appeals to the average High School student.

3.66/5  rDev +50.6%

For it's category, availability, and cost.. this is one of the best in it's class. Nothing can touch it on a hot summer day, and the aluminum cans can go virtually anywhere. And don't bother putting it in a glass.. it's best to drink it straight from the bottle or can. Gourmet beers have their place, but Bud should be appreciated and enjoyed for what it is.

3.8/5  rDev +56.4%

This beer was not that bad either. You can sense the rice in it, bud it is actually good, not great, but is a new sensation in your tongue. NOt like other beers with rice aditives. Actually it made it a little more interesting than more beers from macros. The only bad thing is about the name stealling, but the label is nice.

3.39/5  rDev +39.5%

Budweiser, the king of beers, well not quite. Before I really got to know beer this was my favorite beer. Now that I have experienced a much more broad range of beers I have changed my tune. Its a decent beer, boarderline good. It does bring back some very good memories, but overall just an average beer.

2.1/5  rDev -13.6%

Sickly yellow coloured pee water. Absolutely clear though. The head was white and frothy, tiny bubbles, didn't stick around and left no lacing.

Smells of machine processed barley and left over rice abound. At least there's a hoppy crispness that balances the aromas.

I think theres an unsually large amount of salt in this stuff, not to the point of being overly salty, but a noticeable saltiness. A little bit of sweetness is evident and the hops do an ok job balancing that out as well. Its rather sour aftertaste isn't exactly appealing though.

Too much fizz to allow for a nice feeling in the mouth...sort of like eating pop rocks and coca cola. It actually foams in your mouth, and the bubbles tingle the inside of your cheeks and scratch the back of your tongue.

Although the taste isn't too bad, the feeling that this stuff gives your mouth is unforgiveable.

2.7/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured into an Ayinger willybecher glass. Crystal clear, light gold in color. A surprisingly small amount of bubbles. Almost no head, just a broken ring of foam around the inside of the glass.

Smell is almost non-existent - maybe a wisp sweetness - can't identify this sweetness as being malt. I don't detect the acetaldehyde "green apple" aroma that this beer is famous for....Actually, if I really think about it, I think I get a little "jolly rancher" artificial apple aroma. I really have to imagine hard to smell it, I don't know if I would identify this if I wasn't looking for it. Absolutely no hop aroma.

Taste is no offensive and bland. The slight sweetness is well balanced with a light hop bitterness.

The texture of this beer complements its bland aroma and taste. It is very light and fizzy on the palate, it seems thinner than water. Although I consider the beer to be boring I do find it to have a pleasant texture.

Drinkablity: Overall, the beer is easy to consume -- almost no taste and absolutely nothing offensive about it. It feels good in the mouth and is light and non-filling. I gave this beer a low score on drinkablity because there is nothing about it that would make me desire another. I do believe that it is possible to make a beer like this more interesting without departing from the basic style paradigm.

2.2/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very pale yellow, would have thought this was a light beer had I not know any better. Active carbonation forms a thin lacy white head. Not much going on in the nose at all. Maybe tiny traces of grain, corn to be specific. Very bland in taste as well. Is rather sweet, again, taste small traces of corn. A decent body for a macro, and I could easily put a few of these down (not that I would want to). Overall, not good, but not terrible. It does what it sets out to, I suppose, and that is giving the American public a beer that can go down easy and often.

1.43/5  rDev -41.2%

The fact that this is one of the top 5 selling beers in the world is proof that Anheuser Bush cannot be making everything wrong. For me it is also proof the average beerdrinker is not necessarily being an epicure or a beeradvocate in reference to this fabulous website.
Not adhering to the "Deutsche Reinheitsgebot" is rarely a sign of quality and the use of rice is here obviously made for economic reasons rather than in attempt to enrichen taste.
As someone put it, this is rather water with an infusion of beer taste than a beer itself (tastewise not with regards of it's ABV).

1.86/5  rDev -23.5%

My uncles bought this fine brew for Canadian thanksgiving. Not to kick a gift horse in them mouth, I accepted a brew. I didn't pour it, and I made damn sure it was ice cold.

First I studied the label. It actually says "We know of know other beer the costs so much or takes so long to brew". Right. Later on the label it actually proudly lists rice as one of it's pure ingredients. Off to a bad start.

I don't even smell this one. Not worth it. Taste is sweeeet, almost syrupy. Must be the "Beechwood aging process" that produced that. I think I can hear Anhueser executives laughing in the distance.

This is like getting shot in the face with a corn gun. Best drunk when screaming at a football game and eating hot wings, so as to mask the flavor.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch