Budweiser | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

Added by kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Reviews: 1,650 | Ratings: 6,061
2.5/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't even know why I'm reviewing this beer. It pours a golden color with a white head. It smells like any given house after a prom party. The taste is overwhelmed by the carbonation but it mostly tastes like watered down light malt with a small hop addition. The mouthfeel is of moderate carbonation. The drinkability is really high if you don't have any standards. Otherwise it is o.k. if this is your last resort at a family gathering or wedding reception. Blah.

2.38/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Who hasn't had a Bud at one time or another..Looking through the bottle, it's probably pale yellow. Saw some lacing as I gazed again between slugs. This is the quintessential macro brew of all time.

It had a little more bite than some others I've tried but nothing that leaves an impression that makes you want to have another. I think it caused the headache I got afterwards but can't be sure.

1.6/5  rDev -34.2%

Bought one of those new "aluminum bottles" on promotion because I liked the bottle - drank (some of) the beer because it was hot outside and I figured "why not give it a try?" Not impressed...

Pours a very light straw yellow with a thin head. No lacing, moderate carbonation that only leaves the slightest of rings around the glass. I can't get over how pale this is - it's practically clear!

No real smell to speak of - a slight sweet malt note but otherwise nothing of note.

Taste follows smell - very, very thin taste. It's slightly sweeter than expected with a hint of sugar-pops stale corn taste. Otherwise the faint malt note and the barely detectable hops note are all there is. You know how they have fruit flavored fizzy waters? Well this tastes like a beer flavored fizzy water.

Mouthfeel just plain sucks. There's no substance there at all. I would at least have expected a little extra carbonation to liven up the drink but it's really as dull as dishwater. Thin, bland and unexciting.

I know I wasn't hoping for much from Bud but it was even less than I could have imagined! This was just damn disappointing and I had pretty low expectations...

1.83/5  rDev -24.7%

In the beginning, Anheuser-Busch said, “Let there be beer: and there was beer.” And there was lots of beer and it was everywhere in convenient 30-packs for $9.99 when my local supermarket runs it as a loss-leader. But was it good beer? I choose Budweiser as my first beer review since it was the first beer that ever made me vomit. This is not to say the beer is that bad, but I did put away about eighteen of them. That is AB’s intention, after all. Market share. Big sales, big marketing, big volume. My first hurl on the college library steps was big volume, too.

Appearance: 5 What the hell color should it be anyway? Yes, it is pale straw and practically colorless. So what? The appearance is everything this beer purports to be. Period. Amen.

Smell: 2 Doesn’t really smell like anything good, but my friend had taken off his stinky sneakers when I was evaluating the beer, so who can say?

Taste: 1.5 My nose was pretty badly congested with snots when I took my first sip, so I didn’t taste much. After blowing my nose and clearing the sinuses, I still didn’t taste much. This is a benefit, however, if you’re intent on chuggin’ a 30-pack.

Mouthfeel: 1.5 The dentist drilled my tooth this morning, so my mouth didn’t feel too good. The beer didn’t help either.

Drinkability: 1.5 This should’ve gotten a higher score, because it’s such a fine lawnmower beer, but because I hire the neighbor’s kid to cut my grass, I watch the poor punk sweat from the comfort of my air-conditioned house and drink a Unibroue.

1.72/5  rDev -29.2%

I realize it's the cool BA thing to do, but this stuff realize deserves it's bad reputation. It's not wretched, or foul per se... because there isn't anything to it whatsoever. One could say it has merit because it's so inoffensive, but c'mon, this is just boring! I find myself not wanting to drink it not because it's bad, but because it's not even worth the energy it takes to lift the glass it's in. If you want refreshing, drink some water!

Served from a bottle shaped like a bowling pin. Pours an extremely pale gold in color with a thin fizzy head that had a little bit of retention. Nose is.. well, not really there, vaugely grainy, but mostly it just smells like a macro, if that makes any sense, they all smell the same for the large part. The taste is slightly bready and watery, that's about it. Nothing really happening. No aftertaste to speak of, mouthfeel was thin and fizzy. The only good thing about this one is that it reminds me of beer. (haha)

Boring.

Slàinte! or not..

1.23/5  rDev -49.4%

A thirsty man's last resort. I think they took stale bread and boiled it in water strained it added some food coloring with stale hops carbonated the whole thing. Continuing to taste marco lagers at the wedding reception this is quite bad. The smell is most offensive and this is the most urine like smell of them all. The body is mostly from the filler grains that come through in the taste but not a good thing. No thanks!

2.66/5  rDev +9.5%

Presentation: 12 oz long neck bottle. Right now in CO they are selling "retro" packaged Bud - the label is a reproduction of a 1918 label. I hate to admit it, but I do like the packaging idea.

Appearance: Very pale yello color with a thin head that fades fairly quickly, and lots of bubbles.

Smell: Not much at all - light grain aroma.

Taste: Clean and crisp - but very little going on. Light bodied and slightly bubbly.

Overall impression: This is definitely a beer brewed to avoid offending anyone. Very crisp and clean, but very little flavor. I wouldn't turn it down for free, but certainly would prefer almost anything else.

2.33/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a very watery yellow color, kind of a straw yellow... This beer seems a bit over-carbonated to me, it made a large white head, which quickly dissipated... The carbonation was enough to keep me belching with regularity. The beer had a skunky smell to it, with faint malt and hop scents. It tastes pretty tart, with corn being the main thing I tasted. As for the mouthfeel, to me it felt kind of heavy and syrupy in my mouth, and I didn't really want to keep it there for very long. I don't consider this beer to be very drinkable, unless I didn't pay for it.. If you slam it, it isn't that bad either.. and it beats Corona...

2.5/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Quite likely the most over rated beer of all time. King of beers my ass... Poured out to a good lager golden color, but the praise really stops there. Medium high carbonation kept me belching between each drink, and with the high flavor of corn, and strong presence of alcohol, this was a difficult beer to enjoy. Finished with an odd aftertaste of malt and corn, mixed with a metallic taste. I guess if you have never had this beer, give it a shot. Me, no thanks.

2.15/5  rDev -11.5%

A very thin hay color, a foamy white head that dissipates quickly leaving a wispy lace. A mild malt aroma with a barely detectable hop scent. A very watery grain flavor with some very slight hop bitterness. There's also a mild sweetness to the flavor. Thin mouthfeel, with moderate carbonation. Not recommended.

1.62/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Welcome to Macro Smackdown III (I now use Roman numerals because, like the Super Bowl, this has become a major event of interest the world over). This round pits the ubiquitous Budweiser with the Stroh/Pabst product Old Milwaukee. I had originally thought that I was comparing the American macro lager counterparts of the two beers from Macro Smackdown II, but it appears that I've confused Milwaukee's Best with Old Milwaukee. Yeah, like there's a difference.

Clear, pale straw yellow with a few streams of lazily rising bubbles. The head is off-white and is much too soft. It falls fairly quickly and presents a smooth surface; the very definition of a poor, cheap-looking cap of foam. Almost no lace. Obviously inferior to the head on the OM.

Neither nose is much to write home about, but neither is horrible either. The nose on this beer may have the slight edge, but it's not enough to result in a difference in score. The Bud nose is adjuncty (of course) and is a little more sweetly floral than the Old Milwaukee nose.

The flavor isn't that appealing, to say the least. It's grainy and bitter without much, if any, hop flavor. It isn't skunky per se, but there's a definite off-flavor goin' on. The nose didn't translate well to the palate, that's for sure. The finish is fairly clean thanks to the lack of sweetness and the pathetically watery, inadequately carbonated mouthfeel.

Although Budweiser isn't as drain-pourable as Bud Light, it isn't that far off. 'One of the most popular beers in America' just got spanked by a beer named for a city in Wisconsin, but brewed in Texas (or in Wisconsin, who the hell knows?). Neither one of these combatants is good beer, but Budweiser is clearly the worst of the two. The skill it must take to brew a beer this lousy is simply mind-boggling.

2.3/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

For whatever reason, this tastes better out of the bottle. A bit fuller body and more intense flavor. Very corny and grain-like, but it's better because it's not as watered down. I'd prefer this to cans, as the carbonation seems better and it's just easier to put down.

3.03/5  rDev +24.7%

I believe that all beers have their proper place, including the macros and this is the grand daddy of macros. It is very drinkable and does one heck of a good job on a hot day or when you want to make sure not to overpower other tastes in a meal. Bud does have some grain detectable to the nose and taste. It is very light on the mouth. There is nothing awe inspiring here as for as a memorable beer, or a beer to sit down and contemplate but, it sure can hit the spot quenching a thirst.

1.5/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I personally can never remember buying a Budweiser in any form or fashion. Even during my college days. Miller, or Pfeifer, or something else, was always the choice. And again, I have refrained, as this was a gift from the Macro King himself, the Zaponator. It's an unused, discarded remnant of his highly profiled, highly regarded and proclaimed "March Madness Macro Bracket."

Has anybody else ever looked at this shit in a glass?? Take a pint full of water and add a dropper full of piss and there you have it. Thin head is white. A bit fizzy. No signs whatsoever of carbonation. If blindfolded, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between this aroma and the aroma of the pint of water with a dropper full of piss in it. The only thing of note on the buds is rice/corn. But even that is not too sweet. It's just there....in the background. The mouthfeel is fizzy. Body light. Drinkability, not there.

I love the spiel about hops on the can. That they use only the finest Whole Hop Flowers and they're hand selected, etc.... What's the ratio though?? An ounce per barrel??

I am reminded of an old SNL skit when I think of this beer. They had a comical commercial, some 15 years ago, for a "Change Bank." All this bank did was make change for people. An "exec" was asked, "Well damn it anyway, how do you make any money?" The response was, " Simple. Volume."

When it comes to Volume, Bud is the King. No doubt. But when it comes to the Beer itself, calling it a servant would be too gracious.

A little better from a bottle than a can. Its refreshing on a hot summer day if its been awhile since you tasted a beer. I guess Budweiser is really not bad at all when you consider the type of beer that it is meant to be and its peers. Yeah, sure there are much better beers out there, but I dont feel there's any reason to get all fancy with your beer everytime you drink. Definitly doesnt live up to its "King of Beers" nickname.

2.3/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pale yellow color with a foamy white head. Head retention is ok. Smells very clean with grassy grains, faint hops, and a little bit of malts. Taste clean. Sweet cooked grains, metallic minerals and carbonation with a clean finish. Light bodied. Well this is your classic American adjunct lager. No more No less than what I would expect.

2.18/5  rDev -10.3%

Yeesh, what can I say? I'd drink it regularly if it was the only beer on earth. We should be thankful that they haven't succeeded in that. It has its place, I guess. Seems to me, no biker rally would be complete without it. Also, I think many people could probably say this too: the first time I got well and truly bombed out of my skull, I was drinking Bud. I might find the stuff more enjoyable if it weren't for that wierd green-apple flavor/aroma that it always has. Sure, I drink it if it's free and I'm hot and thirsty, and there's nothing else around. I'll choose Bud over Coke, but that's mostly because I assume Coke has more calories and I think it will rot my teeth quicker. I could be wrong about that.

2.52/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

Appearance: I poured it with perfect form, yet there was almost NO head. what little head there was dissapated within seconds. Looks like a pale colored piss. absolutely disgusting and unappealing

Smell: Mmmmm tough put my finger on the smell. Smells like your average macro-lager, but it has that special scent that lets you know it's a Bud. Maybe it's the beechwood aging....nah

Taste: Light malts, light grains, flat corn, and a small hop finish. This beer is mildly refreshing, but not nearly as refreshing as say a Rolling Rock, PBR, or Beast Light.

Mouthfeel: Cheap carbonated water. Gives mouth a skunky dried out feel.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, nuff said

PS Bud stinks but it goes well with pizza

1.88/5  rDev -22.6%

There is not much to saw about this beer that everyone of you do not know. It will always have a special place is my heart as the first beer I ever had and I think the 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th who knows I was 15 it could have been my first 100. I am sorry I did not know any better not that I could have afforded better though.
It is just a fact of life that needs to be dealt with, as this is one of the few beers you needs to feed the uneducated beer drinkers who come to your house. The taste is minimal, barely more so than most light beers and the smell is more noticable in the carpet the next morning than in your glass. Is fine for drinking as long as its cold and fresh otherwise it is quite poor.
Hey its usually the cheapest thing out there and easy to put down if your looking to have enough beer to hug everyone in sight. But I would only choose it over a couple of the generic light beers.

2.03/5  rDev -16.5%

I dont know what to say about this beer that hasnt allready been said. I've even noticed this beer having a diffrent flavor from one batch to another. I dont want to go in to how it tastes cause if you havent had it theres a good chance you live in a cave.

1.77/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured with a little bit of foam that completely disappeared when I looked away for a second. A little strange since the beer appeared hypercarbonated while I was pouring it. After the foam disappeared this didn't really even look like a beer anymore, maybe a fizzy apple juice. Smell is faint, but not unpleasant. Hints at beer.

Taste is also faint, but unfortunately somewhat unpleasant. The sweet start meets a sharp bitter, and frankly kinda unpalateable, finish. Oddly enough, however, the Bud doesn't taste much like beer, even for a macrobrew. More like a lemon seltzer.

Probably the worst thing about this beer, for me, is the sour tingle it leaves in your mouth after drinking. If I wanted a lemon seltzer I'd ask for one. Can't say as how they're hard to drink though. Like many macros, this beer goes down easy, leaving only the faintest memory of having just finished a beer and leaving one craving more. If only they knew it was more taste they were craving not more volume ...

1.45/5  rDev -40.3%

This beer is a testament to the power of advertising because there is no way this beer would be as well known or popular as it is without millions upon millions of advertising dollars.
I find Bud to be virtually undrinkable. There is a specific taste and smell to it that some may find familiar and comforting but I can't stand it. Yes, I've gotten drunk off of this beer more than once but I was young and foolish and either other people were buying, or it was at a party, or I was desperate for a cheap beer.
Most of my rating is out of personal preference and taste; I could conceive of this as being drinkable when served ice cold and already inebriated, but there are sooo many other beers out there that there is no good reason to ever spend money on Bud ever again.

2.26/5  rDev -7%

when you pour this it doesn't look half bad. sure it's not a craft beer, so the color is light, looks like straw. I do like the fact that if you pour it vigorously you get a nice white head, and. the head will leave in a minute or two, and there is no lacing. i can really taste the corn, and that corn syrup taste. Smells like rice, but goes down rather well. hey its budweiser, so you can't expect much.

2.83/5  rDev +16.5%

This beer is just easy to drink. If you want a beer or two to sit down with, have a nice micro brew. If you want a beer just to have at any time of the day when you are walking around or doing house work, this is the beer to have. Works especially well on a hot day when the beer is extra cold.

A malty flavor that isn't over powering. Smooth going down beer after beer. I haven't had too many beers like this where I can just drink and drink them and not get tired of it. Other macro brews do that to me, but Budweiser never fails. The price has gone up substantially in my area since I was in college. I remember when 18 packs were $10. Now an 18 pack goes for a little more than what a case did when I was in college.

This beer is not quite worth the price to me, but if it is in abundance, I will surely drink it up. The beer is quite bad on tap and when poured into a glass. I suggest drinking it straight from a cold bottle. Bud light is best from the can...the aluminum must give it flavor.

3.05/5  rDev +25.5%

I have to say, I guess I have always been a fan of Bud. However, I rarely drink it. I used to get it all the time at BW3 for 1.50 for 23 oz, you couldn't beat the price. When I was at home, paying two bucks extra for Bud rather than Busch just didn't seem worth it. So, in the spirit of trying beers for BA, I decided I'd get a 24oz can and see how it stands up. I gotta say, as an average "burp beer" it is not that bad. I reviewed Bud Ice in the can the same way and didn't rate it that well, but I usually got Bud Ice in bottles, the can was the first I'd had Bud Ice in ages.

This is a very light looking beer with lots of carbonation bubbles, almost like champaign so it's a little less than average in appearance. Smell was also a little less than a standard beer and had a little metallic scent.

Mouth was just like any other beer. I usually rate every beer average on this note because most times, a beer is a beer is a beer to me. I only give plus/minus if it feels different for better/worse.

Taste? I gotta give it slightly because average because there is something a little bit different about Bud. The alcohol and rice make up most of the flavor, but the mix makes this taste slightly above cheaper beers to me.

Drinkability is average. I could easily drink a few of these. Thing is, cheaper beers with different flavors seem to get my vote. Bud will stay a default beer if there is nothing else on tap. Yes, I can afford Bud if I wanted Bud, but why spend the $$$?

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch