Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

BudweiserBudweiser

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

Added by kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Reviews: 1,632 | Ratings: 5,953
1.88/5  rDev -22.6%

There is not much to saw about this beer that everyone of you do not know. It will always have a special place is my heart as the first beer I ever had and I think the 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th who knows I was 15 it could have been my first 100. I am sorry I did not know any better not that I could have afforded better though.
It is just a fact of life that needs to be dealt with, as this is one of the few beers you needs to feed the uneducated beer drinkers who come to your house. The taste is minimal, barely more so than most light beers and the smell is more noticable in the carpet the next morning than in your glass. Is fine for drinking as long as its cold and fresh otherwise it is quite poor.
Hey its usually the cheapest thing out there and easy to put down if your looking to have enough beer to hug everyone in sight. But I would only choose it over a couple of the generic light beers.

2.03/5  rDev -16.5%

I dont know what to say about this beer that hasnt allready been said. I've even noticed this beer having a diffrent flavor from one batch to another. I dont want to go in to how it tastes cause if you havent had it theres a good chance you live in a cave.

1.77/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured with a little bit of foam that completely disappeared when I looked away for a second. A little strange since the beer appeared hypercarbonated while I was pouring it. After the foam disappeared this didn't really even look like a beer anymore, maybe a fizzy apple juice. Smell is faint, but not unpleasant. Hints at beer.

Taste is also faint, but unfortunately somewhat unpleasant. The sweet start meets a sharp bitter, and frankly kinda unpalateable, finish. Oddly enough, however, the Bud doesn't taste much like beer, even for a macrobrew. More like a lemon seltzer.

Probably the worst thing about this beer, for me, is the sour tingle it leaves in your mouth after drinking. If I wanted a lemon seltzer I'd ask for one. Can't say as how they're hard to drink though. Like many macros, this beer goes down easy, leaving only the faintest memory of having just finished a beer and leaving one craving more. If only they knew it was more taste they were craving not more volume ...

1.45/5  rDev -40.3%

This beer is a testament to the power of advertising because there is no way this beer would be as well known or popular as it is without millions upon millions of advertising dollars.
I find Bud to be virtually undrinkable. There is a specific taste and smell to it that some may find familiar and comforting but I can't stand it. Yes, I've gotten drunk off of this beer more than once but I was young and foolish and either other people were buying, or it was at a party, or I was desperate for a cheap beer.
Most of my rating is out of personal preference and taste; I could conceive of this as being drinkable when served ice cold and already inebriated, but there are sooo many other beers out there that there is no good reason to ever spend money on Bud ever again.

2.26/5  rDev -7%

when you pour this it doesn't look half bad. sure it's not a craft beer, so the color is light, looks like straw. I do like the fact that if you pour it vigorously you get a nice white head, and. the head will leave in a minute or two, and there is no lacing. i can really taste the corn, and that corn syrup taste. Smells like rice, but goes down rather well. hey its budweiser, so you can't expect much.

2.83/5  rDev +16.5%

This beer is just easy to drink. If you want a beer or two to sit down with, have a nice micro brew. If you want a beer just to have at any time of the day when you are walking around or doing house work, this is the beer to have. Works especially well on a hot day when the beer is extra cold.

A malty flavor that isn't over powering. Smooth going down beer after beer. I haven't had too many beers like this where I can just drink and drink them and not get tired of it. Other macro brews do that to me, but Budweiser never fails. The price has gone up substantially in my area since I was in college. I remember when 18 packs were $10. Now an 18 pack goes for a little more than what a case did when I was in college.

This beer is not quite worth the price to me, but if it is in abundance, I will surely drink it up. The beer is quite bad on tap and when poured into a glass. I suggest drinking it straight from a cold bottle. Bud light is best from the can...the aluminum must give it flavor.

3.05/5  rDev +25.5%

I have to say, I guess I have always been a fan of Bud. However, I rarely drink it. I used to get it all the time at BW3 for 1.50 for 23 oz, you couldn't beat the price. When I was at home, paying two bucks extra for Bud rather than Busch just didn't seem worth it. So, in the spirit of trying beers for BA, I decided I'd get a 24oz can and see how it stands up. I gotta say, as an average "burp beer" it is not that bad. I reviewed Bud Ice in the can the same way and didn't rate it that well, but I usually got Bud Ice in bottles, the can was the first I'd had Bud Ice in ages.

This is a very light looking beer with lots of carbonation bubbles, almost like champaign so it's a little less than average in appearance. Smell was also a little less than a standard beer and had a little metallic scent.

Mouth was just like any other beer. I usually rate every beer average on this note because most times, a beer is a beer is a beer to me. I only give plus/minus if it feels different for better/worse.

Taste? I gotta give it slightly because average because there is something a little bit different about Bud. The alcohol and rice make up most of the flavor, but the mix makes this taste slightly above cheaper beers to me.

Drinkability is average. I could easily drink a few of these. Thing is, cheaper beers with different flavors seem to get my vote. Bud will stay a default beer if there is nothing else on tap. Yes, I can afford Bud if I wanted Bud, but why spend the $$$?

2.78/5  rDev +14.4%

I'm going to try (as recommended) to keep the style in mind as I go through.

32 oz. bomber with a screw-top cap (???) born on date 01/18/05.

Vigorous pour into a pilsner glass yeilds a shock-white head that manages to hang on for a respectable amount of time before dissipating. Pale, pale yellow brew with threads of carbonation trailing upwards.

That adjunct smell of rice and corn hits the nose the moment the cap seal is broken. Always reminds me of sports arenas and bowling alleys. I suspect there's hops in there (some grassy notes) but it's dulled. All about the adjuncts.

Taste: Clean. Crisp. Light. Damn near transparent. Again, adjuncts dominate on the tongue as much as they do the nose. Tiniest bit of barley malt peeks out from beneath the rice. Light mouthfeel and carbonation means only the faintest of aftertastes.

It gets slammed, but under the aegis of reviewing it AS an adjunct and representative of the style, I'll say it isn't bad. Certainly thist quenching and uncomplex when you don't feel like being cultured by complex beers and just want something to watch the game with. Best paired with nachos and hot dogs.

3.22/5  rDev +32.5%

I live in St. Louis, so there is something to be said about being able to get this stuff fresh. Budweiser is often maligned in the craft beer world, and while I certainly don't think it is the king of beers in regards to taste, it certainly isn't the monster alot of people make it out to be. I have had it in all three forms, and I would recommend it in draft so long as the bar in question sells alot of it. Otherwise, go with bottles. Despite what the cans say, the beer's flavor begins to deminish long before the 120 day expiration time frame they give. Anyway, heres the skinny:

Appearance: light golden color. Being an ale man, I find the color a little too light, but the light color just goes with the beer style. Even so, it still seems light compared with a beer like Heineken.

Smell: The smell has a strong malt aroma. It has a kind of ricey smell to it. This would be one of my biggest criticisms of Budweiser, as well as American macro-breweries in general is their excessive use of adjuncts. Budweiser isn't too bad, though, as far as macro-brews go.

Taste: The taste is light, but not too light as is the case with many of AB's other products. Again, it has a ricey taste to it, but there is enough hops to balance it out. I prefer a hoppier beer personally, but for its style I would say that AB's got it right. I am definately a craft beer man, but I do understand why AB puts the rice in their beer. It does give the beer a little sweetness, which AB does balance out to make a drinkable beer. However, I think AB would do well to cut the rice proportion in the wort a little bit.

Drinkability: I personally believe that Budweiser is a decent beer. It is a drinkable, light beer and it does give a relatively clean finish, although it would be a little cleaner with just a touch more hops. The two caveats to this would be that the beer has to be fresh and it has to be cold. When the beer gets warm, the rice malt comes out a little too much and overpowers the humble hop aspect of the beer, thus my recommendation that AB cut the rice malt proportion slightly and raise the hop content slightly. With regards to freshness, I would just say the this style of beer does not seem to keep its taste for very long despite the pasteurisation. Most likely this is a symptom of the light hop content.

Mouthfeel: It has a decent gravity to it for the style. I would rank it on par with the light beers I have had from Europe, such as Grolsch or Pilsner Urquell. It has a good amount of carbonation to it. Some might find it excessive, but I think the beer would be too malty without it. Not bad for its style.

Overall: Budweiser is a decent beer and probably one of the best the macro-brew world has to offer. AB certainly deserves many of the criticisms it gets for its operations, but I do not think that its Budweiser beer brand should be the target of these criticisms. Save that for Michelob Ultra and Bud LIte.

2.93/5  rDev +20.6%

A.B.’s King of beers. For a American Pilsner developed for the summer heat, not entirely bad. Light for today’s craft drinker, but it will do in a pinch. Has the standard mass market lite malt taste, minimal hops. Not too tasty, but not a crappy taste either. It sure has a lot more umph than the Bud Lite version.

2.72/5  rDev +11.9%

Clear, straw-yellow color. Lots of carbonation. Dominant grainy smell of corn mostly. Flavor is fairly simple, but ok, in my opinion. Light, crisp mouthfeel.. Budweiser is still a last-resort fallback to have if there is nothing better available, and you can find it in virtually any bar for dirt cheap so that's a plus as well.

If you're looking for something unique and complex, you simply won't find it here. After all, it's made by Anheuser-Busch.. But if I take it at face value, it's gotta be one of the best Adjunct Lagers I've had...and while that's still not saying much, I believe it's a decent example of the style.

1.85/5  rDev -23.9%

I had gone over to a friend’s house to play poker a few weeks ago and helped him finish off a keg of Yuengling Lager, a keg he purchased at the urging of me and another guy. This week, he tapped a new keg earlier that day. Without telling me what it was, I went over to fill up the first round, and as soon as I saw it come out... oh no... that’s gotta be Buttweiser. I thought we had gotten him onto a better quality beer, since he raved about the Yuengling... and the kegs are cheaper... but no. God forbid he break tradition for too long.

And that’s the thing. I moved here to central PA (redneckville USA) several years ago and I think I had a genetic predisposition to hating anything stereotypically redneck. But over the years, I’ve been converted on a lot of things (hunting, fishing, even got into NASCAR and started using the word “yunz”- though I smack myself every time I do), but the one thing that hasn’t changed since college is my distaste for Bud. I’ve even gone back and given a bunch of hated beers a fair shake and tried them out again, but Bud still remains on the list of my most hated beers. There are just so many other watery American style lagers out there that are better and cost less.

Earlier I referred to this beer as BuTTweiser, and although that’s a pretty generic rip on the beer, I call it that for a good reason. If I drink 3 or 4 or more Buds (very easy to do with this beer while playing poker), I WILL have the runs the next morning. Only a few other beers have had that affect on me: Golden Anniversary, Blackened Voodoo, Schlitz Ice, oa homebrew a friend gave to me, and a 40 of some malt liquor somebody gave me.
The beer is a very pale straw color, with a white, average-sized, fizzy, fully diminishing head, with no lacing. The aroma is hard to pick up at all. After you let it warm up a bit, it smells a bit grainy. The taste is very bland, nothing really sticks out, a slight maltiness on the finish but that’s about it. It does go down very easy, and it’s high carbonation along with its normal serve temperature, only a few degrees above freezing, make it refreshing, but then again a flat Sprite is even refreshing when it’s that cold.

I know it sounds snobby of me, but I feel that people that think Bud is a good beer don’t know the first thing about beer. “The King of Beers” Ha! What a crock! Only beer I can think of that could arguably be called the King would be Guinness due to its age and worldwide popularity.

2.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Budweiser, the kind of beers.

Well, not quite. I've had a couple of Budweiser longnecks, it being sort of a school tradition and all. It's not the total horse piss that a lot of people accuse it of being. Solid golden amber color with a light head that fades in a reasonable time. The odor is mild and primarly maltish. The ones I've had were really cold so I don't know if it changes as it warms. The taste? Nothing remarkable. Slight hops but you will need to try and notice them. It is smooth for the most point, but there can be a slight acidic twing sometimes, but not always. Truely, a beer for the masses, there is not much to turn off a person. Sadly, there isn't much to lift this beer over the tile of mediocre.

Sure, it's drinkable, but I can instantly think of 10 other beers I'd rather have.

When you say Budweiser, you've said it all.

1.75/5  rDev -28%

Cant believe I am writing this one up. This was a "gift" from a friends party. I am drinking slightly chilled in a pint glass.
The beer pours very clear yellow with a bright white, fluffy head of .5 cm foaming up with an agressive pour. The head fades to a thin edge layer rather quickly.
Aroma is mostly sweet malt with sugar sweetness, some toffee, and a bit of husky grain scents mixing with some grassy hops.
First sip reveals a thin watery body with small fizzy carbonation that prickles my tongue.
Flavor is again sweet. Much more so than expected. The beer is candy sugar caramel and some grassy hops again. Very similar to nose advertising.
The sweetness is not appealing as I take more sips. This is the last reason I thought I would not enjoy drinkin this brew. But the sweet almost chemically flavor on the finish is forcing me to question putting the glass to my lips again. The flavor rests at the back of my palate and is like sweet metal, for lack of a better description.
Yea I wont buy this beer and dont recommend that you do either.

1.78/5  rDev -26.7%

I do not understand how this is the best selling beer in the US. All my union brothers drink this stuff like it is the best beer in the world. Bud gives me hangovers.... when I used to drink it, and I can not help cringing every time I take a sip... and man do you gotta be desparate to take that last AWFUL sip....

blech

2.77/5  rDev +14%

You know, it isn't THAT bad. Sure it is damn close to water and piss yellow with little head, but it doesn't actually taste bad. After a long time of BAing I had one at a law school function. I was suprised by lemony tinge I hadn't noticed before. It w as kind of like grain infused ice water with lemon. All together not the worst experience.

1.08/5  rDev -55.6%

It is said that if you were dying of thirst and tried to drink your own urine you would die. If I was crossing a desert and came across a cooler full of this, I would take a bottle and empty it, piss in it and take my chances. I bet the Clydesdales wouldn't even drink this. Read my review on Mick Ultra, particularly the part about a billion dollar ad campaign.
My advise, buy Perrier water and drink it untill it's coming out of your ears. Then, when your so bloated that you can't take anymore, get a hammer, a rock or anything hard and beat yourself in the head. You'll get the same results as drinking this swill. A big bloated gut and a pounding headache. At least you feel good in knowing Perrier is potable compared to this.

B lows.
S urely
E ver
R eviewed.

1.93/5  rDev -20.6%

A guy bought a round of beers for the whole kitchen staff on new years so I thought it would be a good time to review it as I would never buy it.
Poured a very light almost gold yellow color with absolutly no head at all even after a pretty hard pour. No aroma except maybe a slight hint of malt. Flavor is very bland and onesided with barely any malt flavor pretty much all just what i would believe to be a rice flavor and no hops at all. The mouthfeel is very watery with a signifigant fizzy carbonation that makes you burp a lot. Definetly a beer I would avoid and if all that was available I still would not order it.

1.75/5  rDev -28%

well, i dont really know what to write about this beer. its better if you drink this instead of bud light, but really, you are better off paying for a six pack of something good rather than spend/waste your money on this beer. good try by AB, but it really is a slap in the face to the German name of this beer

1.46/5  rDev -39.9%

Obviously, the review for this beer is less interesting than the way in which I obtained it. A friend handing them out on her street corner at 4am.

I think the King of beers has a seriously perverse inclination towards pedophelia. I'll get back to that...

Canary yellow with chemically engineered head and lace. Macro smell of corn, rice, grain, wait where are those HOPS advertised on the can?

Sweet, faint, and watery, this is the quintessential nothingness beer.

At first I didn't mind it but the taste was killing me before I even finished the bottle. The taste is so sweet and cloyingly corny that it seems like this beer is engineered to grab young drinkers' soda drenched palates.

Not to mention the way in which they advertise to the youngest-common-demoninator. Bad Buttwiper, bad.

A distilled dirt sandwich.

1.48/5  rDev -39.1%

Well, its a beer. I starting with this beer and will try to do ten. It pours with a small head that diminishes quickly. Looks very effervescent. Metallic nose, maybye some adjunct rice. Taste, not much. I could be refreshing if served very cold. I could drink many if that is what is around.

2.33/5  rDev -4.1%

Well...for some unknown reason the other night, I was debating whether to get a bottle of Czechvar or ??at Redbones, and since I have had Czechvar, I took the plunge, ordered a Bud and a glass and decided to have this beer and review it. Actually I was surprised...it was better than the Rolling Rock I had a few weeks prior. Here goes: Crystal clear faint yellow in color. Carbonation rises in glass. I was disapointed that I received no head from this beer and I was doing the pouring... I tried hard, but the beer refused to top itself off. Aroma is faint, but I detected an underwhelming jelly bean like smell. The beer was pretty much ice cold out of the cooler...I of course dutifully let it linger as long as I could, but it never seemed to warm up. Tastewise...what can you say...nothing till the very end when you encounter a bit of tartness or lemonyness in the finish. Mouthfeel was medium --, prickly, and makes you burp. Drinkability...I have to say that this beer was darn easy to drink, I finihsed the whole thing, and made a mental note that if I stroll down the macro path again, an ice cold bud is not going to be a horrible thing.

2.71/5  rDev +11.5%

11/28/04- Purchased at HP Pavillion Shark Tank in San Jose, CA

Appearance- Pours with a foamy, big bubbled, white head. A very pale colored yellow and next to no lacing. About the color you pee should be if you are a healthy person :)

Smell- Really doesn't smell like anything. Not bad, not good, maybe some grain?

Taste- Surprisingly not that horrible. Some grainy rice taste to it. No hops or anything like that though.

Mouthfeel- Nice carbonation, went down pretty damn easy.

Drinkability- Hmmm, I guess this means I have to try the other big 2 macro's and compare now. Not as horrible as everyone says. I wouldn't go out and seek it, but if it's all they had and I was thirsty as hell I would pop one open. Heck, I didn't pay for either one of them, so that makes it taste a little better too :)

2.47/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Light pale yellow color body. White fizzy looking head that lasts about 30 seconds. Smell is grassy with some maltiness. Taste is sugary up front followed by a light bready flavor and then some corn and rice adjuncts. No hops present whatsoever. Mouthfeel is a little overcarbonated but its not horrible. I don't really enjoy bud but I can easily drink a six pack if this was all thats available. Take this bad boy brew for what it is. Suc it up and drink a few ice cold buds with your buddies because this is what they are probably drinking (remember... ingest ICE COLD).

Ahhh the king of beers. Well, maybe the king of macro swill. It is what it is and it is a very clean crisp American lager that is super easy to drink. I used to drink a lot of this beer and that was because it is so easy to drink no matter what season it is. I know it is pretty boring when compared to the many different styles of beer available, but when it comes to adjunct lagers this is the king. It has little taste, but for the style that is a good thing. I give the King all 5's, but remember, that is only for it's style. In the grand scheme of beer it ranks much lower.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch