Budweiser | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

Added by kbub6f on 11-21-2000

2.25/5  rDev -7.4%

3.25/5  rDev +33.7%

2.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is the beer my Dad always gave me when I was younger, I thought it was foul. I don't think it's good, still, but I don't think it's foul.

It's clear and yellow, much like piss. There's about half inch head when poured from the tap, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells like sweet malt, grainy corn-like crap, and other indistinguishable faint things.

The taste is similar. There is a somewhat pleasant mild hop bite to this, surprisingly, but some weird vegetal tastes, as well. Just light and mostly non-flavorful.

Light bodied, crisp mouthfeel, somewhat refreshing if you drink it fast while it's cold.

Not the worst macro, but I'd never buy this for myself.

3.08/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I am going to go ahead and commit sacrilege in the current "craft" sensationalism and say that Bud isn't that bad. Lately, I watch the news, hear a negative and unfounded story about AB, I turn on the CBS Morning Show, and hear a cocky story about how Bud is lowbrow (this seriously happened). I am an avid beer drinker, and Bud is getting an unfair wrap.

I often have Budweiser several times a month. Mainly, because it is cheap and is significantly better than any other American macro with the exception of Coors Banquet. I typically drink several six packs a week, and I don't really want to spend 10 bucks a pop, which is the going rate of any craft beer where I live (or even beers I do not consider craft, such as all Sam Adams products and Sierra Nevada products).

I find that many lagers are similar in taste, and after you drink a few, they become increasingly similar. I also find that Budweiser is similar to many other mass produced European beer, most of which is also made by AB InBev. For me, it really comes down to price. I could show up to a party with a six pack of Beck's and get far fewer dirty looks form the new breed of beer snobs, but in all honesty, I doubt any of them could tell Budweiser from Beck's. In my market however, there is a 3 dollar difference in the two, so you can see where this is going.

What I like most about Budweiser, is the fact that it is extremely drinkable. Lately it is in the news for having water added to it, but I know this is false, because it packs a 5% ABV punch, and is nearly as potent as many pale ales and lagers. Bud has to be ice cold though, because it is an Adjunct Lager, so there is not much going on outside of a generic "beer" flavor.

Overall, Budweiser is decent. I do not love it, I do not hate it, but I do drink it. It is more or less intended for mass consumption, which many craft brews are not. I will say that the average person drinking a Budweiser is most likely not having one for the complex taste, but really slamming them down for the main purpose of alcohol. Overall, it delivers and suits its purpose.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch