Budweiser | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

Added by kbub6f on 11-21-2000

Ratings: 6,159 |  Reviews: 1,678

3.25/5  rDev +33.7%

2.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is the beer my Dad always gave me when I was younger, I thought it was foul. I don't think it's good, still, but I don't think it's foul.

It's clear and yellow, much like piss. There's about half inch head when poured from the tap, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells like sweet malt, grainy corn-like crap, and other indistinguishable faint things.

The taste is similar. There is a somewhat pleasant mild hop bite to this, surprisingly, but some weird vegetal tastes, as well. Just light and mostly non-flavorful.

Light bodied, crisp mouthfeel, somewhat refreshing if you drink it fast while it's cold.

Not the worst macro, but I'd never buy this for myself.

3.08/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I am going to go ahead and commit sacrilege in the current "craft" sensationalism and say that Bud isn't that bad. Lately, I watch the news, hear a negative and unfounded story about AB, I turn on the CBS Morning Show, and hear a cocky story about how Bud is lowbrow (this seriously happened). I am an avid beer drinker, and Bud is getting an unfair wrap.

I often have Budweiser several times a month. Mainly, because it is cheap and is significantly better than any other American macro with the exception of Coors Banquet. I typically drink several six packs a week, and I don't really want to spend 10 bucks a pop, which is the going rate of any craft beer where I live (or even beers I do not consider craft, such as all Sam Adams products and Sierra Nevada products).

I find that many lagers are similar in taste, and after you drink a few, they become increasingly similar. I also find that Budweiser is similar to many other mass produced European beer, most of which is also made by AB InBev. For me, it really comes down to price. I could show up to a party with a six pack of Beck's and get far fewer dirty looks form the new breed of beer snobs, but in all honesty, I doubt any of them could tell Budweiser from Beck's. In my market however, there is a 3 dollar difference in the two, so you can see where this is going.

What I like most about Budweiser, is the fact that it is extremely drinkable. Lately it is in the news for having water added to it, but I know this is false, because it packs a 5% ABV punch, and is nearly as potent as many pale ales and lagers. Bud has to be ice cold though, because it is an Adjunct Lager, so there is not much going on outside of a generic "beer" flavor.

Overall, Budweiser is decent. I do not love it, I do not hate it, but I do drink it. It is more or less intended for mass consumption, which many craft brews are not. I will say that the average person drinking a Budweiser is most likely not having one for the complex taste, but really slamming them down for the main purpose of alcohol. Overall, it delivers and suits its purpose.

2.75/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a can into a dimpled beer mug.

6th beer in my great American Adjunct lager hunt.

A-the pale yellow classic straw color. Poured a soda water type head that dissipted quickly into a thin white rings around the edges. No lacing. A lot of carbonation was present in the glass.

S-Grainy, a little malt, and water.

T-Rice, grains, a little malt; water. Just the basic adjuncts, nothing special. Dry aftertaste.

M-Watery, crisp, and somewhat refreshing.

Overall, this brew gets terrible ratings, which is too bad because it is a classic. It has its same flat taste from a bottle, on-tap, and from a can. When I am in the mood for a cheap crisp beer that tastes like soda water and rice, I'll buy it.

2.25/5  rDev -7.4%

2.75/5  rDev +13.2%

1.25/5  rDev -48.6%

1.25/5  rDev -48.6%

2.25/5  rDev -7.4%

2.84/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

this beer has an undue bad name. all their other products are garbage, from shock top to black crown, to bud light and on and on, but, this particular brew, the original, ive always preferred to its competitors, and it does have a useful part to play I think. it pours a yellow straw colored watery soda fizz mess with an average white head. the nose is a lot like the can, even when its from a bottle or on tap. an odd metallic smell, but there is some grain in here, and I can get hops if I focus on it. the flavor has a refreshing mellowness to it, and while this may be all cut up with corn and rice and whatever else, it does retain some nice malt flavors, light as they are, and the hopping is crisp. I mean, im never going to go out and buy this, but in a tiny foreign airport, a concert at some beer wasteland, or a ballpark with no better options, I actually really enjoy a Budweiser. it is also the first beer I ever legally bought in the united states when I was 21 returning from overseas, so it has some sentimental function as well. to me its the classic American working mans beer, nothing special, but far from repulsive too. say what you will about it, but it aint half as bad as a miller or coors, although black crown is unforgivable.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch