Budweiser | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

Added by kbub6f on 11-21-2000

View: Beers
Ratings: 6,472 |  Reviews: 1,751
3.07/5  rDev +30.1%

This is the beer you go for when you want to simply get messed up. At $12 a 20 pack, it's exceptionally easy to get drunk off this, especially considering the smooth texture. If you're looking for a real beer, stay away, but for parties, barbecues, and just getting smashed, this is your beer.

2.3/5  rDev -2.5%

Like MGD this stuff is contaminated spring water in a bottle.

A = Amber coloured with a thick foam head.

S = Fruitty mixed with skunkiness

T = CONTAMINATED SPRING WATER. Carbonated nothing. Niether here nore there. Flavourless.

M = Moderate carbonation so you can drink it with little complaints.

D = Expensive in Australia. Much better beers availiable.

Please Note: I'm not bashing this beer. Its just the beer calls itself the king of beers. It ain't. Also don't mix this beer up with Budweiser Budvar. Thats not a bad beer. Its just expensive drivel. Not recommended.

2.41/5  rDev +2.1%

This beer tastes better in the bottle than in a mug. Their is always a weird off funky taste to this beer, maybe from the rice or beachwood, but that off taste is what turns me off for this beer. Beer made popular by huge advertising campaigns, this is just macro swill. Not too bad though.

2.9/5  rDev +22.9%

Came free with my hotdog.

Pale yellow with no lasting head or lacing.

Smell is adjunct rice with no real malt or hop presence. Slight grain back end.

Taste is light crisp and watery. Hey, where's my beer?

I needed something to wash down my snack, and free is free. It is what it is, and that is that. I'll take it over the ultra cheap and it is pretty clean and crisp but not my first choice.

2.98/5  rDev +26.3%

Can obtained from the discount bin of a local liquor store. Freshness date is 17 Jun 05. Pours a single finger pure white fizzy head that settles rapidly to clumps on the surface and then a ring around the glass. The beer is crystal clear, very light straw in color and has a single line of tiny bubbles rising from the bottom. Smells almost like nothing. A very gentle hint of malt sweet after the beer had warmed. The pull tastes like water but this quickly turns to a dark malty with a carbonation burn/release. Then comes a malty sweet with some honey and melon charatecteristics. This late rising sweet fades as a very gentle hop floral rises. Tastes like a mix of 'plunky' hallertauer with a gritty 'spalt'. Extremely light body and heavily carbonated. A bit darker than I expected for a beer that's said to be so light in flavor. Scored to style, not to my taste preference.

2.84/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured this from a 12 oz. can. It pours a light straw with a quickly dissapearing head. The smell is sorta corny some malts too. Not the most pleasant. The taste is sorta malty but the hops are there. Noot really tastey though, but they are there. Combined with crisp carbonation your tounge gets a little tingly. I would want this one to be a little sweeter but as it is it is still fairly drinkable and refreshing american lager.

2.18/5  rDev -7.6%

Reveiwed once before on tap at the Anheuser Busch Brewery and had a plesant experience. However, this time from the can. Looks brightly straw with small head retention and small lacing. Smells faint of light malt, corn, rice, and maybe other cereal grains. A bit astringent and metalic. Tastes powdery and malty. Light buttery and corn flavors dominate. A bit of cidery flavors present to the palate and in the finish. Noble hop varieties are nicely balanced but lend no flavor. Finishes scrubbed from over carbonation. Aftertaste is powdery and mildly sweet. Fades quickly. Crisp yet remains slick to the toung and metalic.

2.86/5  rDev +21.2%

Here's the deal. Bud is good at what it does. This is an American adjunct lager produced for the masses. It's easy to slam this and other mass produced American beers, but remember, we're not judging the style as a whole. Bud is a crisp, refreshing, drinkable beer, although not heavy on flavor. It would never be my first choice (nor would any other mass-produced lagers), but if I'm at a cookout or pool party and the host offers Budweiser, I'm not going to complain.

2.16/5  rDev -8.5%

This ought to put my ratings in perspective. Rice beer. Gotta love it. How could this possibly be any blander? Hmm. I know. Cut it half in water and call it Bud Light. That would make it blander. Anyway, this is the very definition of quaffable, much like water. The carbonation is nice and it does have a good finish. The flavor is grainy, the smell is ever so slightly grainy and there are some hops in there. But lets be honest. I come here to rate real ales and lagers made thoughtfully by people who respect the tradition, science, art and mystery of brewing. This one doesn't fall into that category.

2.15/5  rDev -8.9%

Her name was Wendy, and she was my wife's best friend. She had married her music teacher after High School in Southern California. We went to visit them in their Manhattan Beach home, and he brought out the Bud and the bean dip. I have never been sicker - after two Bud's, I tossed my waffles, and have never tasted that beer again. Sorry for the anecdote, but this is not beer, this is swill. If you like it, at least try to broaden your palate. As Stone Brewing puts it so well, "Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies." Pale, thin, synthetic beers like Bud are mass produced in stainless steel tanks for the unsuspecting masses, and million dollar ad campaigns keep it alive. Beechwood aging is NOT a good thing.

2.15/5  rDev -8.9%

This is my first Budweiser. I bought it for the Aluminum Bottle. Yes, I got taken in by the marketing dept. I listed this under a can for I figured the aluminum would impress the taste as opposed to listing it under a glass bottle.
I've had the Bud Light, and I must say for this flagship beer, I was expecting more. To me, it looks & seems the same as the light.
It poured a very see-thru straw color. The head, well carbonated, did fizz alittle. The was white and seemed to hold for alittle while only to lace in spots.
The aroma was slight, not offending of grain and dry rice. The taste seemed watery with a bland grain/rice base that gives off a slight, but quick hop shot, only to crisp the mouth quickly and then leaves a dry feel behind.
Like I said, I expected a bit more over its light couterpart, for a flagship beer this big.

2.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a light straw color with little to no head. Slight lacing, faint hops aroma, but overall pretty bland. Tase is a mix of hops, and something unfamiliar, possibly the rice? Just another american macro with little taste and reasonably high drinkability...look elsewhere for the "king of beers".

2.88/5  rDev +22%

Pours a pale yellowor slight golden color. Little head which doesnt stick around for long. The scent is slightly malty. I assume wheat or other weak grains. This is what the taste comes out as also. Slightly grainy, slightly malty. Overall a decent flavor, somewhat stale thought. Typical harsh american macrobrew.

2.42/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is my first ever Bud. Waiter looked rather oddly at me when I asked for a glass, and I can see why as it came out the thinnest palest nastiest yellow I have ever seen with absolutely no head whatsoever. Smell is almost nonexistant--the faint whiff I caught reminded me of cheerios. The taste was much better than I expect, very light malt and corn flavor, but nothing offsetting or bad. The mouthfeel was also nice--medium bodied with a med/high carbonation level for a nice refreshing drink. For years I have been slamming this as a bad beer, but it's really just a good example of a bland beer, which has it's time and place.

3.14/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am going to rate this solely on the fact that it is an American macro Lager and nothing more... The color is a light gold color, VERY translucent with a smell that is of wheat and not much more. The taste is surprisingly full, with wheat in the first part, sugar in the second and ends with a refreshing burst of water. If you are looking for an incredibly inexpensive beer that you can drink MUCH of, you have found it!

2.63/5  rDev +11.4%

poured a pale yellow color with pure white puffy head that slowly fell. Smell is a slight sweetness but nothing spectactular. Taste is very light and non-offensive, but refreshing. mouth feel is thirst quenching. A beer designed to be the lowest common denominator so as not to offend anyone.

2.65/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, "born on" 5/16/05 - served chilled in a pilsner glass. Pours a very clear gold with a good amount of carbonation and a 1 finger fizzy white head that dissipates quickly but leaves some lacing toward the end. The aroma consists of grains, adjuncts, and a bit of sweetness - very clean. The flavor is about the same with touch of hops and some metal. It has a medium body and is pretty fizzy but it drinks ok. The best AB product I've reviewed so far.

3.13/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Let me start by saying that the highest rating in any category for me is the Drinkability factor....Budweiser is a good daytime beer. Great for tailgate partying, out on the boat, ballgames etc. Even other Macro beers dont come close to the drinkability of Budweiser.

Appearance: I put this at "Average" , Yellow Fiz is what it looks like. Budweiser has to be one of the most carbonated beers on the market. from first drink to the last gobble Fizzz continued to be non stop.

Smell: "Below Average". Nothing that will knock your socks off. The hint of hop was nice but nothing to get your taste buds going.

Taste: The taste is above average for the style. It is so clean that the taste is very subtle. A touch of corn and hay lay in the backdrop and a dab of bitterness to settle it out. It is truly a refreshing beer. This product needs to be Ice Cold though, as it warms up the carbonation is annoying and actually gives a slight burning in the throat.

Mouthfeel: Once again the carbonation is overkill.

Drinkability: Good Drinkability. It doesnt bog you down. Light and refreshing. Budweiser brewers are amazing in that they can produce a subtle lager that is amazingly consistent and if not the best macro lager its one of the best in the world. Nice daytime beer.

alcohol: 5%

Overall I actually enjoy this product for many reasons. Including availability and price. Its no belgian or hophead special but it is what it is. A macro that feeds the masses and is worth your attention when its stacked up against other Macro's.

2.43/5  rDev +3%

Presentation: Poured an extremely light straw color into a traditional mug. The beer is pretty transparent, and it showed off a high degree of carbonation. The scent was very grassy and grain-y, without much in the way of hop or malt characteristics. It was pretty weak.

Tasting: A strong grassy flavor was on the front and middle of the tongue, backed by cereal and corn and just the slightest tinge of hop bitterness. What hurt this beer was the fact that the mouthfeel was very watery and carbonated. It was a pretty simple brew that was easy to drink. It went down rather smoothly. I had it served very cold, though, which helped a bit.

Take Budweiser for what it is... a simple macro lager. It's not the greatest example of the style, but it's passable.

1.72/5  rDev -27.1%

I've never poured this into a glass before. It's pale like a ghost. Looks like urine in the morning. Smells... not as bad as it looks, but doesn't have much of a bouquet, smells kinda like off water. Can't come up with any spice flavours in the smell. Nor in the taste: very thin, just chemical taste, but not as bad as some Australian macros. Mouthfeel thin too. Drinkability's probably all right... you could smash a lot of those down pretty easily. But I'm not buying them.

2.45/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Retro 12 oz can, reproduction of the first Budweiser can introduced in 1936. (I collect cans, so this looks cool), brought back direct from St. Louis. Born on Date stamped on bottom.
Very pale straw color, thin white cap of foam that only lasts a minute. Lots of carbonation. Smell of faint malt and grain (very faint). Taste is crisp and very smooth, some mild sweetness (I am guessing it is from the rice). Slightest hops to balance. No aftertaste. Wasn't as terrible as I was expecting. No overpowering tastes just clean and easy to drink - that is what appeals to the masses.

2.25/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

The KING of beers!?! I guess if you live in St. Louis, this is your motto. Anywhere else, I can't imagine that being the case.

Yes, this beer is better than Bud Light, but is that saying much? No.

The canned version of this lager offers a nice metallic twang, which I guess some folks must find appealling. I do not.

When poured, this looks like a beer. It smells a bit like a real beer, but the taste, well, that's another story. Not a tasty treat.

2.5/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't even know why I'm reviewing this beer. It pours a golden color with a white head. It smells like any given house after a prom party. The taste is overwhelmed by the carbonation but it mostly tastes like watered down light malt with a small hop addition. The mouthfeel is of moderate carbonation. The drinkability is really high if you don't have any standards. Otherwise it is o.k. if this is your last resort at a family gathering or wedding reception. Blah.

2.38/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Who hasn't had a Bud at one time or another..Looking through the bottle, it's probably pale yellow. Saw some lacing as I gazed again between slugs. This is the quintessential macro brew of all time.

It had a little more bite than some others I've tried but nothing that leaves an impression that makes you want to have another. I think it caused the headache I got afterwards but can't be sure.

1.6/5  rDev -32.2%

Bought one of those new "aluminum bottles" on promotion because I liked the bottle - drank (some of) the beer because it was hot outside and I figured "why not give it a try?" Not impressed...

Pours a very light straw yellow with a thin head. No lacing, moderate carbonation that only leaves the slightest of rings around the glass. I can't get over how pale this is - it's practically clear!

No real smell to speak of - a slight sweet malt note but otherwise nothing of note.

Taste follows smell - very, very thin taste. It's slightly sweeter than expected with a hint of sugar-pops stale corn taste. Otherwise the faint malt note and the barely detectable hops note are all there is. You know how they have fruit flavored fizzy waters? Well this tastes like a beer flavored fizzy water.

Mouthfeel just plain sucks. There's no substance there at all. I would at least have expected a little extra carbonation to liven up the drink but it's really as dull as dishwater. Thin, bland and unexciting.

I know I wasn't hoping for much from Bud but it was even less than I could have imagined! This was just damn disappointing and I had pretty low expectations...

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch