Budweiser | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

Added by kbub6f on 11-21-2000

View: Beers
Ratings: 6,500 |  Reviews: 1,756
2.13/5  rDev -10.1%

Budweiser the self proclaimed King of Beers. Funny how they say this, it isn't even in the royal family of beers, maybe the jester of beers. A big joke

Look: comes in a dark bottle with the famous red and white Budweiser label, pours a straw yellow with little head, bubbles heavy.

Smell: The smell is almost like what you would think carbonated hops would smell like. Doesn't smell like a great beer but of course the important thing is taste.

Taste: Well the taste is also below par, almost a light watered down bitter taste. I find Busch, a cheaper version in the BUD family to be better than this, and that is not saying alot.

2.83/5  rDev +19.4%

330ml bottled

Pours with a pale, lemony yellow body. Fuzzy white head, pretty good retention

Smell, rice comes off, some smooth malt, little off flavours suprisingly

Taste, crisp biscuity mouthfeel, smooth and slightly perfumy, some slight corn on the finish

In bottle, chilled its a drinkable macro lager tbh, not the worst of its kind. Still, no winner

The US standard of adjunct beers, boring colourless and dull

2.18/5  rDev -8%

Compared 4 U.S. Macro brews together to see if there is REALLY any winners here.

Executive Summary:

Scores: A S T M D

Coors Regular: 2 3 3 2 3 = 2.7
Budweiser Regular: 2 1.5 2 3 3 = 2.1
Miller MGD: 2 1.5 1.5 2.5 1.5 = 1.7
Ice House: 3 2.5 2 2.5 2 = 2.35

All brews were assumed to be a 2 in all categories before reviewing.

APPEARANCE: All look pretty much the same except Ice House, It’s a Bit darker.

SMELL: Budweiser has almost no smell, just a bit of grain. Coors smells distinctly of Banana and grain with a bit of yeast. MGD smells barely like bread. Ice House smells a bit citrus. Coors was best but Ice House was far better than Bud or MGD.

TASTE: Budweiser tastes of grain and is mildly sweet. Coors tastes of grain and is Tart compared to Budweiser. MGD tastes sweetest, but has an off taste to it. Ice House tastes like a tarter version of Budweiser. Coors was best, only MGD had a weird taste.

MOUTHFEEL: None of these really have it, Bud is thickest, and Coors is thinnest. Only Budweiser has any real Mouthfeel.

DRINKABILITY: Coors and Budweiser are about the same, MGD has that off taste and it cost it points, Ice House is OK, but not quite as good as Budweiser or Coors.

CONCLUSION: Drink better beers! But if you are trapped without a choice Coors, Bud, Ice House, and MGD.

2.09/5  rDev -11.8%

The King of Beers? Not quite, perhaps the King of the Superbowl, with the Bud Bowl/Frogs/Horses/etc. For all it's flaws, however, this beer isn't an incredibly bad looking beer (If you don't mind a beer that looks like urine). It pours a pale yellow/gold color with a head that is gone after 3.14159 seconds. The smell is not impressive at all, but it doesn't completely turn you away. The taste is pretty blah, and it makes you ask the all important question--am I actually drinking beer? Because the characteristics of a beer (maltiness/hoppiness) aren't there. Of course, it's still a beer that can be drank in high quantities (it's good for beer pong, because the taste is only improved by anything that gets on the ping-pong ball).

Perhaps the best overall opinion I ever heard about Budweiser was told to me by a friend who visited the Straub Brewery in Northern PA. They had a picture of a horse drinking beer out of a bucket labeled "straub" and pissing into a bucket labeled "budweiser".

2.72/5  rDev +14.8%

The beer pours an almost clear color with a little gold tint. The head is a thick frothy white which quickly fades to a spotty lace. The aroma is light with little malt or hop scent. The taste is skunky, but refreshing. It has no malt character. I hate the use of brewing adjuncts to create a paler, cleaner beer. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low bodied beer with good carboantion. It drinks rough for me, but there are a lot out there who love it; I can't figure it out.

3.1/5  rDev +30.8%

This is my first on-tap review. I passed on the Michelob Light and Bud Liite. Great choices are so difficult. To my profound surprise, this Bud poured a frothy white head and laced down the glass. I could actually smell a hint of hops in the nose. Mouthfeel was well carbonated. Taste was light bodied, and flavor was negligible. Still, this draft ended up as an acceptable session beer. Especially, after seeing the skunky, green coloured brew that came out of the Michelob tap.

1.73/5  rDev -27%

Wow. This is way worse out of the can than the bottle. How can this be so much worse? I don't know anything about these things. The taste is still primarily grain or...whatever...but it's sour, overcarbonated, and metallic. I had trouble finishing this. Flashback to Milwaukee's Beast.

3.02/5  rDev +27.4%

very pale clear yellow, i can't believe how clear this beer is, and pale! a simple taste. it's like one big flavor that builds fast and slowly rolls away, and that one flavor isn't that great. when my old drinking buddies were drinking natty light, i would drink this. when they started to drink this, i started drinking heiniken. (they never drank that) now i realize how shitty they all were. (IMO)

i have never noticed this before but, heiniken and bud smell and look alot alike!

3.64/5  rDev +53.6%

I like many of you still enjoy a macro, I have to where I live it's hard to get specialty brews. This is probably my favorite of all the macros. Like all american macros the color leaves alot to be desired. The taste however is one of the best, great start and a clean finish. Really a great beer to enjoy on a hot summer day.

2.17/5  rDev -8.4%

Despite my recent past with this beer. See "of all the nights" in the BA Talk forum. I have decided to put it behind me and review it.

First there is no reason to enjoy this one out of a glass. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool. This is a beer to drink, not to enjoy. This is, of course, not to say that this beer doesn't have enjoyable aspects, it does.

As far as american Macros go, I think this is the best, It's relatively cheap, has a pretty good taste (aside from the fact you can really taste the rice, which I don't particularly like) and you can sit down with your college buddies and polish off a case of it without getting alcohol poisioning.
But I digress. Nothing about Budweiser is impressive. It is what it is, it's a macro, plain and simple

3.36/5  rDev +41.8%

Background: While this beer and the brewer are often put down (unfairly, IMO). I like this beer. It may lack in substance but for me it has a purpose. No matter where I go, if I want a beer and don't want to think about making a choice or ask for a beer list, I can say "gimme a Bud" and I'll get a cold Bud longneck that tastes the same every time.

Appearance: Typical American macro lager. But its supposed to be. Bonus point for the bottle design and the "Eagle & A" logo. Always a favorite for years.

Smell: Little noticeable smell, but that's what I would want in the beer. A-B doesn't want its consumers to smell their beers, they want them to drink them.

Taste: Not a full flavored beer, but that's the idea here. Not bad, just nothing special.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, goes down easy, quenches the thirst after mowing the lawn or cleaning the garage.

Drinkability: Every bottle the same, and "fresh". Just what I would want.

1.78/5  rDev -24.9%

Overall, a very thin, weak beer with little to offer. This beer must be served ice cold or else not served at all. It is nearly flavorless and without any character or interest at all. When poured into my glass, the beer bubbled like I'd expect from a can of Sprite/7up. Within seconds, the head was gone (not uncharacteristic) and what was left was a thin golden (nearly clear) beer. The first flavor you'll experience is moderately bitter with no other flavoring. When this subsides, you are pretty much done with tasting the beer.

2.97/5  rDev +25.3%

This is by far my favorite macro. Had it on tap at Bennigan's in Bloomington. It is suprisingly well balaned and flavorful, for a macro. It definitely has more flavor than any miller or coors products, IMO. I wouldn't turn one down, but I'd still probably drink something more interesting if given the choice.

1.65/5  rDev -30.4%

one would be correct in saying that this beer does not taste offensive like many other lagers. 'boring' isnt a word id use to describe it tho. giving it too much credit there. impotent perhaps? a totally flaccid, nothing beer thats totally forgettable.

anaemic color and quickly dissipating head. nose reeks of chemicals, with adjuncts also presenting themselves. flavor is of the same with corn and rice showing up. semi bitter but not a lot of hops doing any damage. is fairly crisp which raises the score here. this is yet another of those beers where you will severely pay for indulging the next day.

it has been a while since ive had a bud. fortunatley i just havent been in the position where ive had to endure it. if i never came across it again id not be losing any sleep thats for certain. zzz.

3.31/5  rDev +39.7%

What's to say?

There is really nothing special except for the amazing consistancy that Budweiser brings to the table.

Unlike others who are quick to pan this beer, I cannot. It isn't bad on any level, just an average beer for average guys to drink any time.

Boring, but that is what they are going for.

1.64/5  rDev -30.8%

It was a buck a draft, so now seemed like as good a time as any to review it. Have to give it some points for being the proper color, I guess. There actually was a slightly fruity hoppiness to it, and I could taste the beechwood. But way too many off flavors, adjunct and DMS tastes, and besides, next day I got a pounding headache. Yes, it is the perfect beer for NASCAR fans.

2.08/5  rDev -12.2%

It pours yellow. That's it, yellow. Uncomfortably close to a certain bodily fluid, but hey, at least it doesn't have to change much on its way out. Tight head, fading quickly, lacing little.

Aroma is just what you'd expect a US macro to smell like. It is what it is. And that ain't much.

Little malt, little hops, some traces virtually unidentifiable. It combines to make up what is, unfortunately, what beer is expected by many to taste like. And I say unfortunately not because it's vile, because it is not, but because it takes little more effort or money to buy better. Still, ice cold, hot day, and it's like beer soda.

It's yellow water in the mouth, with some fizz. Comes, goes, and you forget it was there.

I can drink it, like I said, on a hot day, watching the bottle or can sweat seductively. And they do go down so easily. However, what limits me is that it seems to be my own, one most effective laxative. I can get it down, but it makes its way out in spades the next morning. Just as well, I should know better than to drink more than one or two in a pinch when I can get my hands on better.

2.85/5  rDev +20.3%

"This is the famous Budweiser beer. We know of no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age. Our exclusive Beechwood Aging produces a taste, a smoothness and a drinkabilty you will find in no other beer at any price."

Not quite...

One of my favourite beer moments came during the game between South Africa and Slovenia at last year's World Cup in Daegu. Perhaps it was a psychosomatic response created by the festive atmosphere of the partying Slovenes, but Budweiser never tasted so good (or since) as on that day.

Despite it's unintentially hilarious claims, Budweiser is at heart an unpretentious and inoffensive, if not watery beer that goes down easily.

1.97/5  rDev -16.9%

Had this at a wedding because it was this or the light. Light gold color, no head when its served cold, light grain aroma, very light adjunct hop taste, but at least it lingered on the tongue for a second, unlike the light,watery aftertaste, absolutely no different then the light. Its a thirst quencher, but nothing more

2.65/5  rDev +11.8%

12 oz bottle. Born on 22JUL03. Consumed 4NOV03. Left over at my condo from the Interns rental this summer. A tribute to my buddy Hermie, a fair reveiw of his favorite beer.
Pale, shiny yellow color. An agressive pour produced some bubbly off white head that faded fast. Smell was at first sour, then grainy, mown grass, and fields of hay. Taste was a somewhat pleasant dullness of flavors, moderate sweetness, lots of corn water and ever so slight mushy hops toward the finish. Lacked the rough bitterness and metallic flavors I have come to expect. Moderately carbonated. Scrubing bubbles paired ok with Black Bean Chili Chips. Drinkability and taste held tight as long as you drank it fast and have some spicy things to pair it with. Quenched the thirst, but didn't impress while doing it. Drank it all and now happily I have more room in my fridge for another Maine Beer.

1.53/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

All I could think of while I was drinking this was when will the torture end? They call themselves the King of Beers. The Biggest selling beer in the land. Was I impressed? No. The light yellow color reminded me of what a good beer isn't. no imagination, no complexity, nothing. The taste was more of corn syrup than of anything. Nothing in the way of hops, malt, or barley. But I did like one thing. The Bud Girls.

1.8/5  rDev -24.1%

Finally found this rare beer on-tap. Pale urine yellow, foamy white head. Smells of creamed corn and adjuncts, not much in way of malt or hops. Taste is very thin and carbonated, rice syrup, corn, and a funky flavorless aftertaste not unlike over-cooked rice. I think Bud is better straight from the can or bottle. With so many other choices for pale lagers, avoid this one.

2.78/5  rDev +17.3%

Beer purists may hate me for saying so, but I found Bud to be an enjoyable beer.

The bottler's claim of a unique drinking experience is very correct about this beer. Though you may pour fast enough to form a near-white head over the bright gold liquid, the brew is so light and actively carbonated that it fizzes off in seconds. The result is a beer that starts without any creamy texture on the lips, almost as if you're drinking a soda. I'd say Bud is a light-to-medium bodied beer, although some may disagree. It begins sharp and flavorful and has probably the most consistent palatte of any beer I've tasted to date. There are no flavor undertones, but the result is not lacking - Bud comes across as pure, clean, and quite tasty. The finish is even (it just trails away with a bit of a carbonated tingle) and the aftertaste borders on pleasant.

- Backdated tasting: I first reviewed this beer on 21AUG03, this post is based on notes from that review and several tastings since. -

Oh, what the heck...found this can in the back of the fridge at my family's cottage in Michigan. My can of Bud was born on Dec. 23, 2002. This was past the 110 days that A-B considers Budweiser to be fresh. Remarkably this beer did not taste stale, but it didn't really taste like anything. The description I like to give Bud is barley and rice water. There's just the hint of a good beer. It's like it was a good beer that was watered down and has had the really good parts bred out of it. Ninety percent of the malt and hops washed out. There's just a hint of malt in the finish and a light bit of dryness and that characteristic Bud flavor, sort of a very faint apple-skin flavor. Perhaps this is the result of the much talked about beechwood aging. Has anyone noticed Bud's claim that it is the best beer at any price????

I don't think so.

2.13/5  rDev -10.1%

The self proclaimed king of Beer <Fill in your joke here>. I was at a party the other day and it was either this or Bud light(review soon to come) so I chouse the lesser of two evils. This beer has a clean yellow color with some carbonation. The smell of grain and malt was very noticeable. The first taste was that of grain and corn. While this might be good in some cases this is not my first choice when it comes to beer. While I did not care for the taste that much I did think it was drinkable and it was very easy going down. Don’t drink this beer.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch