Budweiser | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewed using a blend of imported and classic American aroma hops, and a blend of barley malts and rice. Budweiser is brewed with time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character.

Added by kbub6f on 11-21-2000

View: Beers
Ratings: 6,402 |  Reviews: 1,739
2.5/5  rDev +5.9%

It claims to be "the king of beers" but a quick look at the ingredient list makes you wonder quite how it even manages to be a subject in the beer kingdom let alone the ruler. Then you taste it and what hops and malt it does have in it are nowhere to be found. A great example of the power of advertising - why else would so many people pay to drink something that the rest of us get out of our taps.

1.85/5  rDev -21.6%

Okay, my friends caught me in my neiborhood on the way to my craftbeer friendly Betty's. So since one just got back from his honeymoon, I had a beer with them. This beer on tap is why I avoid it whenever it is usually offered on tap. The beer was a light straw color with very little head and no lace. The aroma was next nothing and was mostly hops and grain. The flavor was faint and basically hops and grain with a bite to it. The finish was very light, with little character and a bit of a bit to it. As much as this beer suffers in can and bottles, I think it fares the worst as a draft. And I am an old seasoned Budweiser drinker.

2.68/5  rDev +13.6%

This is perhaps my favorite macro. The color is a deeper golden than most other macros, giving one the impression that it will have more flavor. The smell is a little bitter, but not offending in my book. The bitterness follows through into the flavor, but leaves relatively quickly. I am not one to say I hate all macros and I like this for a change every once in a while. One of the best macros in my opinion.

2.6/5  rDev +10.2%

Crisp, fizzy, bland rice adjunct background with perceptible malt graininess, very pale, edgy but drinkable, EXCELLENT MARKETING!!! This is the epitome of American industrial beer. Another reason for the rest of the world to despise the USA. This is the "B" in the B/M/C triumvirate.

Update: An Ice-cold 32 oz. draw of the "lowpoint" (4%abv) version of Bud seemed to hit the spot on a nice warm fall day at the Tulsa State Fair. I have to confess, I actually enjoyed sipping on this brew while walking arond at the fair. I also know I'd never buy it and drink it day in and day out...ever.

2.2/5  rDev -6.8%

I love beer, but if this were the only beer in the world...well I say pass the tea. This beer has no characteristic that impresses me except for the marketing of Anheuser-Busch. It gicves me headaches among other things LOL and well lets just say great commercials AB but work on the beer........CHEERS

4.05/5  rDev +71.6%

Budweiser is simply a good, dare I say, great beer. It doesn't cost $50 dollars a case and no one will think you're high society when you tell them you drink Bud, but it is a fantastic beer. The truth is if you truely love beer as I do, and your not just some Frasier with a pention for beer instead of wine, then you must agree this beer rules the school. If you want to get drunk, this will do the trick. No head aches (unless you posses a vagina, and even then it is a matter of chance), it goes down like ice water, and it taste great.

Grad party mistake. I knew I hated it but had one anyway.
The instant lobotomy-like headache proved the error in my ways.
Poor psuedo-beer yellow appearance. Aroma of newly deceased skunk. The rotten rice taste is too awful for words....I won't even glorify it with a description. Just nasty. The worst.
Scourge of all those who enjoy good beer.

2.62/5  rDev +11%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Like pale straw with thick artificial looking head. Decent lace.

Aroma reminds me of, BEER! Well, the beer of my childhood when I remember my old now dead aunts and uncles drinking Budweiser from pull top cans. The aroma is sweet and malty with a corn note.

Flavor is very heavy with cloying rice and sweet malt and blends into bland cracker like blandness. Very heavy and filling with slightly chewy mouthfeel.

They brew tons of this stuff, and no matter where you get it, or in cans, bottles, or if you are lucky, draft, it tastes the same.

A beer that is an American classic and worth revisiting from time to time.

1.83/5  rDev -22.5%

Clear slight yellow color with a white head. Very light color. No noticible smell other than a slight malt/skunk smell. Taste has a sweetness but the brew is very bland...

1.9/5  rDev -19.5%

First off let me say, I've always been a Miller man (worked on the delivery trucks during college) and have always thought Bud to be the worst of the worst. Well, that may be overstating it. There are many beers worse than this....cheaper beers with bad off flavors....This is certainly no powerhouse of flavor...it pours a disgusting very very light straw color(Basically pour a glass full of water and then drop in two or three drops of piss for color and you have this color)...it is not bad, but really doesn't have much taste....some soft malt(rice) tones but overall it is pretty tasteless and easy to drink..no hops at all...Tastes like a light beer...

2.5/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this at the ballgame, bought by a friend (not a beer advocate, mind you). Much the same as I remembered from my youth -- slightly sweet, rice-like. Definitely not skunky; I'd probably take this over a Heineken. There are worse tasting beers out there, but there are far, far more better tasting beers as well. At least this is consistently sub-average.

2.94/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Footbal, Soccer, Nascar, etc. For some reason Budweiser just goes real well while watching a good event. It's very drinkable and smells good. Otherwise it's just... well... Bud.

2.37/5  rDev +0.4%

Ahhh...liquid rice. This is only the most popular beer in America because as George Carlin says, "they smear their logo feces everywhere." The only reason to drink this stuff is if you are already plowed and it's on special at the bar. In addition, it's far too expensive for the poor quality...stick with something else.

2.33/5  rDev -1.3%

I hadn't had a Budweiser in a long time when my neighbor, an AB employee, gave me a six-pack that was two days old. It was better than the stuff that's been sitting around forever, but it was still Budweiser. On the rare occasion I do drink a Bud, it's usually out of the can or a plastic cup at a baseball game. Pouring this stuff into a clean glass was someting of a shock. It's barely a shade darker than water. It more or less smells like water too. By the time I saw and smelled it, the watery taste came as no surprise. I like it better than Coors, but that's not saying much. Fortunately, most of the beer I get from my neighbor is his homebrew.

1.35/5  rDev -42.8%

Ahh the old red and white. Looks like colored water, tastes like colored water, and smells like it too. I can definitely taste some adjuncts, probably the rice. Incredibly carbonated, you will still be burping in an hour. I would have to say that among the macros most A-B products are on the bottom as far as I am concerned

3.7/5  rDev +56.8%

Well, I have always been a huge Budweiser fan. Hey, it's not extremely complex but it is a great thirst quenching beer and they are a very respectable company when it comes to the pride they put into their product. They are legendary and always will be and I will always take a Bud over most of the other typical beers (Coors light, Miller, Rolling Rock, etc.)

1.16/5  rDev -50.8%

I can't manage to choke down a full bottle/can/glass of the stuff. I can at least polish off a Nasty Light. Don't think I've ever been able to finish a bottle or cup of draft of the stuff. I'm guarenteed to start gagging before I get to the bottom third. That and it's overpriced for what it is. I don't diss the beer because I'm trying to judge it for something its not. I'm dissing it because I can't drink it.

3.98/5  rDev +68.6%

Very light-colored, and smells as refreshing as it tastes. Goes down smooth and stays down...smooth. A lot of people like to knock Bud, but at least it makes no pretenses, and I'll fall back on it anytime. Clean, refreshing and inordinately drinkable--available in 30-packs for a good reason. You know going in that it's not meant to challenge your taste buds, so just take it for what it is and enjoy what could be the easy-drinkingest beer in America.

2.73/5  rDev +15.7%

Time to weigh in on the big boy (sadly second to Bud LIGHT in sales in the US -- what have we come to?)...American=buy American (as some have said)? Some of the best beers in the world are American micros so its not a case of preferring a German macro product...Bud is VERY consistent (with the production and delivery capacity to prove it) and "adjunct" clean but alas has no flavor other than sweet/remotest bitter in the most fleeting way...so in the case of comparing it to urine, c'mon, is it like that acrid smell? A standard setter for style and I have no problem drinking one. The color is lesser than many macros, but the flavor has some pleasant cereal grain notes -- actually Bud is one my favorite macros for style.

I just love watching the Bud commercials while quaffing something good. Bud is a triumph of marketing over product. The quality control, however, is a model for brewers to aspire to.

That said, this is the lowest common denominator - AB removed all character and interest from what should be and could be a decent style of beer in order to maximize sales and offend the fewest number of people. The smell (what there is of it) is almost beer-like. The taste (what there is of it) is almost beer-like. Yet it somehow manages to taste just... There's some sort of odd, sour taste in the background that I have NEVER found in an all-malt lager. Maybe it's the rice. Whatever it is just turns me off. Three of these gives me a case of agita that requires two Zantac to clear up. THAT doesn't happen with any other beer. I don't mind American lager - hell, I enjoy Schlitz and Yuengling - but this brew is heinous.

Think about this: How much does A-B spend on advertising? And how much do you pay for a six? Now remove the ad budget. Yep, it's a $2.50 a six beer, and not even a GOOD $2.50 a six beer, but you're paying $4.00 a six for the priovelege of looking at talking frogs and seeing people say "wazzaaaap!" Feel dumb? You should. There's no reason to subject your mouth to this crap. There really is no reason.

Appearance is watered down looking with a soap bubble head. Taste is weak but odd at the same time with a mild rice-sweetness. This is the kind of beer you can share with your friends because most don't appreciate the imports anyway. I drank plenty of this is my younger days...when you look up headache in the dictionary it reads "Drink 12 Budweisers and take a nap."

2.9/5  rDev +22.9%

this lager should be appreciated for what it is...a clean, crisp, refreshing, brew that appeals to the masses and can be drank whenever and wherever. there are many other much better lagers and ales that appeal to those of us with discerning tastes and appreciation for REALLY good beer. but after a day of construction work in the sweltering summer heat, nothing beats an ice cold budweiser. just as during the shortest and coldest of days in winter sitting in my favorite pub, a pint of stout, porter or doppel bock is just what the doctor ordered.

2.86/5  rDev +21.2%

Updated (3-6-08)

I reviewed this beer back in 2001 right after I started here on BA. Its time to re-review it.

Budweiser pours out to a bright golden in the glass with big head of white foam. The aroma is light and gives off a faint smell of grain and cereal. The taste is average with a light taste of green apple and malt coming through on the finish. This beer is very easy to drink and I am impressed how it is consistent from beer to beer. I've drank beer for a long time and can say I've never had an "off" Bud.

It is outstanding? No.

Is it refreshing? I'd have to say yes.

Overall, it is what it is. A standard, fizzy, yellow beer. I pretty much feel the same way as I did nearly 7 years ago when I reviewed it the first time.

---
(Original 12-14-01)

People like to pile on this beer because it is the largest selling beer in the world and its always fun to poke at the guy on top. Is it good or is it bad? Neither. Its right down the middle. It is a clean-tasting American lager. It leaves a dry aftertaste in the mouth, but is overall decent on a warm day. I have no problem admitting that I don't mind drinking Bud. Its only when people say its the ONLY think they drink is when I find it questionable.

A consistant brew for the unwashed (NASCAR) masses. It is what it is...your basic, bland American lager.

2.86/5  rDev +21.2%

Let me start by saying that this is deifintely not my favorite beer. But as much as people say it sucks it does have some good qualitys. As for mouthfeel and taste it is crisp and dry with fizzy carbonation long through the swallow and typical of a lager. The flavour is lightly grassy with a slight metallic twang and barely any noticeable hops. No head retention, even on the hardest pour, the head lasts no longer than twenty secounds. When compared to an all malt lager, even one pasturized beyond resonable thought, you can tell the difference.
It is very light tasting and easy to drink. Every once in a while I pick some up and when I have the first one I usually wonder why I don't get this more often and when I finish the last one I usually know why.

Budweiser from Anheuser-Busch