Natural Ice | Anheuser-Busch

Natural IceNatural Ice

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Natural Ice is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn that lends Natural Ice its delicate sweetness. It then undergoes Anheuser-Busch’s exclusive ice-brewing process, which takes the beer to a temperature below freezing and leads to the formation of ice crystals which create its signature rich and smooth taste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-2001

80%

Reviews: 329 | Ratings: 1,355
1.8/5  rDev -10%

Appearance- Very yellowish and with no apparent bubbles, poured with minimal foam that quickly dissipated.

Smell- Smells of stale beer, also a hint of sharpness, possibly from all the carbonation escaping so fast.

Taste- Taste goes on a curve, begins minimally with a taste of carbonated water, proceeds to the pinnacle of mild barley with a burn from the carbonation, finishes with a petering out taste of vanishing carbonation, taste totally defined by its carbonation.

Drinkability- Goes down easy and doesnt fill you up with hoppiness or wheaty flavors. Light and only memorable for its lack of anything but carbonation.

2.45/5  rDev +22.5%

Ok here is goes. The non-biased review of a great trailer park classic, Natti Ice. Bought at local liquor store in North Hollywood for $6.00 a 12 pack. Cheap blue box and cheap (trying to look cool) 12 once cans.
No head escapes can, pour yellow with 1/2 ince head that dissapears quickly with little lace. Metallic, alcohol taste with very little flavor, pretty smooth for a cheap ice beer. Mouthfeel very watered down and very carbonated. Smell is also metallic. Aftertaste is a little pungent with a hint of citrus, I have ahd worse.

In conclusion I belive this beer lies in the bottom 10% of all beer, one above LaCrosse Lager and one below Milwaukees Best Ice. It's cheap, but its not undrinkable. After 2 or 3 they do start to taste fine, with 5.9% alcohol it's not the worst I've had. I think it's still better than Bud Light.

2.48/5  rDev +24%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I've decided that, like Miller's and Coors' products, if you are familiar enough with A-B's brews you can detect the unifying theme no matter which of their beers you are drinking. That thought relates to Natural Ice because when I drink it I taste aspects of King Cobra, Budweiser, Bud Ice, Busch, and Hurricane High Gravity. It's all a slight variation of the same basic ingredients in A-B land. Maybe that's impressive?

I honestly remember the first time I reluctantly consumed this beer in my mid-20's. It made my gums tingle and my teeth squeaky. Now THERE'S a slogan!

Bonus points to Natty Ice for their WTF graphics (horse collar, Newport sails) and WTF colors (that are impressively diverse yet unifying.) I miss the mid-2000's graphics that actually made the container itself look carbonated.

Finally, in the ice beer world...this exists. I don't think anyone reps Natty Ice. I see a missed marketing opportunity. "Natty Ice - It has alcohol."

A: Poured from a 32 ounce bottle (it's surprisingly hard to find 40's of Natty Ice) into a pint glass. Hard pour yields a one finger head of bone white foam. Head sticks around long enough to not be pathetic, but just. Settles to a barely patchy cap with a thin ring that surprisingly holds for the entire glass. Lacing is above average for the style. Color resembles light beer (pale yellow) and is too pale for an ice lager. You can see floaties in the beer if you hold it up to a strong light. I like floaties in my ice beers.

S: Ugh. Unique, and bad. When the beer is ice cold you get sour, rotten grains. As Natty Ice warms the smell approaches hot garbage with noticeable plastic bag (I'm being serious.) This beer has cornered the market on anise. There is even some bottom-of-the-barrel carbonated wine in there. Don't forget the metallic smells as well. The lesson here is that you should drink Natty Ice as cold as possible.

T: Next to nothing. No complexity. Dry and slightly medicinal. I can't get away from the anise in the smell that is also now in the taste because this beer is warming. Light, used-up grains. Used-up everything. The dryness makes it drinkable (poundable.) Not all macro ice beers show such a lack of flavor. This is the one area of critical thought best avoided if you want to enjoy your Natural Ice experience.

M: Alcohol warming is slightly noticeable. High carbonation sting up front that fades into a drying on the entire tongue. The strong carbonation helps significantly in making this beer drinkable.

O: This is easily the most ghetto ice beer out of the major breweries. I've always been surprised that Natural Ice doesn't have more street cred. Despite the above numbers I still find this an acceptable beer for its style.

Did you know that there was actually a Natural beer? Although it is no longer produced, it is what is "iced" and "lighted" to get what we have today. THE MORE YOU KNOW!

1.46/5  rDev -27%

Clear, yellow, white head. Looks as good as any lager.

No smell to speak of. EDIT: IN RETASTING, THERE WAS A GREENAPPLE SMELL, INITIALLY. IT FADED AFTER FIRST WHIFF. The only taste was a light generic sweetness, and the taste of carbonation. EDIT: I WAS BEING OVERLY GENEROUS. THERE IS NO TASTE. No hop presence at all. Pretty bland stuff.

Was really surprised by the lack of any body. Very watery. YEP.

The alcohol seems a little high, actually, for the style. Normally watery brews like this would make a good thirst quencher, if it were down in the low-mid ABV 4%s. I guess ice is meant to imply extra rice, for alcohol boost with no flavor added. I STILL THINK THERE IS TOO MUCH ALCOHOL FOR SO LITTLE FLAVOR.

1.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Ahh Natty Ice. How this beer brings back memories of when I was a poor college student and couldn't afford anything better.... How does it hold up, nostalgia aside?

It's a bright piss-yellow color. There is a rocky, rapidly melting glacier of head. Looks like Italian ice. See through; no lace, no surprises.

Feint smell of rice. Typical extra pale lager. No better no worse in terms of smell. Just very slight.

Corn & rice. Slight alcohol bite. No real flavors to speak of. Maybe a tiny, *tiny* hint of orange.

Fizzy and watery, though also has just a smidge of creaminess. This beer gets old fast. It's really a poor drink, even compared to the standard college-kid fare. This beer was made to get as drunk as possible as fast as possible ... little else.

2.57/5  rDev +28.5%

Poured a very pale , clear yellow , with some big fizz rising to thin ring of bubbles. Smell is of thin craker malt , slight pink fruity character , adjunct , and a hint of metal. Very light bodied , some slight grain and more hints at a fruity character. Crisp and fairly unobtrusive , i thought it went down rather easy , which is just what i want when i pay 6 dollars for a 12 pack. Nothing to harsh , just not much there besides the slight added alcohol from being ice brewed.

1.18/5  rDev -41%

Ok, here we go, I think we may have hit bottom. I really I had never even had this one before this, but figured I should try the cheapest beer I could find. Poured the palest and clearest yellow imaginable, big fizzy white head faded immediatly to leave just really nothing. Lots of chains of bubbles littered throughout, but this was just soo damn clear. Smell did not exist, at least I couldn't smell one, don't know if that is good or bad in this case, so thats really all I can comment on. Taste again was non existent, maybe a slight taste of corn or grain, but really I was dumbfounded as there was really no taste. Was slick, smooth going down. Tasted like ice cold water and I could see why people drink so much, they are trying to find the taste!

2.5/5  rDev +25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Presented in a 16 oz can, born on date 20 December 2006. A bit embarrassed at the checkout, but hey, I’m an obsessive completist. Into the pilsner, a pale golden color with copious, large bubbles. Puffy white head quickly fades to a small ring, though bubbles continue to rise. Zero lace. Nose of bread and sweet cut grass. Slight astringent odor. Tastes is of bready malt, a bit of alcohol toward the middle and a dry, mildly bitter, dry barley finish. A bit of distracting chemical off-flavor at the end. Mouth is watery and a bit thin with mild to moderate carbonation. Drinkability is low; this beer really offers nothing more than 5.9% ABV, which I’m sure is it’s intended selling point. I could actually finish one 16 oz can with no trouble, but definitely didn’t want another.

Overall: If your MO is a cheap buzz, this one will do it. A four pack of 16 oz cans is essentially 64 oz. of 5.9% swill for 3 bucks. It’s not terrible (definitely had much worse), but it really has no redeeming qualities. Avoid.

2.97/5  rDev +48.5%

Poured a pale golden color with initial white puffy head with little retention. Sparse lacing.
Smell is minimal with only a light sweetness detected.
Taste is also very light, with little flavor to be found, but still thirst quenching.
Like most beers of this style, refreshing when ice cold, disgusting as they warm.

Natural Ice
Deuce-deuce
Recent brewing, slugged down 11/06
Medium pour in an English pint

Poured yellow with an average fizzy quickly diminishing white head.

Smelt of smegma.

Taste was upfront sweetened decaying malt with a hint of colostomy bag residue followed by a gooch sweat finish.

Overall, it taste like squeezing the sweat from one's overall's after a long day of manure shoveling.

1.68/5  rDev -16%

Ok beer but not one of my personal favorites. Decent golden color with a white head, rather lacy. Not much of a smell with a strong malty and yet kind of watery taste. Similiar to natural light witha watery feel. Will drink if only one available all for the love of beer.

2.24/5  rDev +12%

Oh natty ice, I (have learned to) love you...

Every thursday night in college. Mug night. My friends and I dubbed it "Mug Day" as to replace the boring "Thursday" that appears on most of our calenders. 32 oz mugs of natty ice: $1. what a bargain.

A- Decent yellow, not too watery looking.

S- Just don't do it, ok? It smells like rotten corn and creek water.

T- Not much better than it smells. After the 5.9% numbs your senses it all goes down the same. Warm or cold you just drink it.

M- Like an average macro. Light and bubbly.

D- Well, since my college days are over, I don't think I would ever drink it unless it was all that was around at a party or something. I will always have those memories (or lack there of) certain Mug Day's in which I drank over a gallon of this stuff in one sitting. Goddamnit...

cheers to up-and-coming Mug Day champs!

3.08/5  rDev +54%

Drank from the can at a company picnic. Suprice, This was the best the boss could come up with that day. The beer is not that bad. The color was yellow, darker then most of this style. Head was good, as the beer was fearsh, always a plus.

The smell was a little suspect, some corn, not much on hops, but a little beer like.

The taste was ok, Macro beer like. Light taste, nothing robust, plane. but not bad.

Mouthfeel was thin and over carbonated.

Drinkability was ok, good for the style. MK

2.88/5  rDev +44%

Poured from a can into a glass. The head disappered quickly leaving a actively carbonated glass of golden brew.
The firt taste is corn and husk that quickly changes to a light grape flavour, almost like a week chardonay.
Noticeable alcohol on the exhale.
Not bad for a very cheap "ice" beer. Maybe being within 3 weeks of the born on date had something to do with it.

1.72/5  rDev -14%

This is putrid stuff that we use to funnel back in the day only due to the high abv for a macro. Appearence is pale yellow. Smell was grain-like with no malt poking through. Taste is astringent and foul, quite offensive and is one of the hardest beers to get down in my lifetime. Mouthfeel is fizzy and filling. Drinkability is low due to these only being good to slam.

Avoid.

2.8/5  rDev +40%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a Chimay glass....just kidding. Straight outta the can. I even left it in the poke. This beer reminds me of camping when I was younger. A decent beer when the time is right. Around a campfire this beer hits the spot. At the Taproom, I would need a better beer though. But at a buck 'o nine for a double duece I can live with this. Overall a drinkable beer.

1.8/5  rDev -10%

Natural Ice pours a light straw color with a fluffy white head from a sixteen ounce can. The aroma is very mild, but consists of corn/adjuncts. Tastes fairly nasty, adjunct predominates. Even as far as macros are concerned, this one is fairly bad. Definitely should be avoided.

2.31/5  rDev +15.5%

Purchased from the Citgo by my apartment, Huntsville, AL.

A: Very pale straw yellow, slightly hazy, with a thick white head. Actually much better than I anticipated.

S: Sweet, mellow, corny. Slight maltiness. Not bad.

T: Very weak flavor, some notes of corn, highly drying, with an unpleasant "off" taste at the finish. Not as bad as I was expecting, but certainly not tasty.

M: Thin, watery. As expected.

D: Not the worst macro I've had, but there are much better beers out there.

1.32/5  rDev -34%

Appearance: Golden clear white quickly dissipating head leaves no lacing left on the glass. Aroma: Cereal grains corn and rice adjunct ridden mass produced beer. Taste: Off adjunct flavor light sweetness no hops evident not real good. Mouthfeel: Light bodied over carbonated fizzy yellow beer. Drinkability: Not the beer I would drink avidly.

1.92/5  rDev -4%

Appearance - Golden yellow, very carbonated, very pretty--looks appetizing.

Smell - Smells slightly processed, hints of corn. Faint soapy smell.

Taste - Nothing like its Natural Light counterpart. Tastes too processed for my taste. No hops, no bitterness, just a mix of some random chemicals that you could put in a beer, yet make it safe for drinking (hopefully).

Drinkability - For purpose of taste - undrinkable. I would avoid this for beer pong as well.

1.36/5  rDev -32%

When 24 beers just don't cut it. This is an extremely cheap beer to go along with any college or high school party. When people are just out to get really smashed and care more about the drinking games then the actual taste, then this is a beer to go along with. I don't really want to review the taste becuase thats not what this beer is made for.

1.12/5  rDev -44%

This is truly an awful beer...I don't know why I am even dignifying it with a review. I'm bored, and I found one of these lying around. It pours straw-yellow with an amazingly quickly receding head. It tastes of chemical-soaked corn shit. I don't think its a good thing when after I take a sip I need to swallow for an extra 10 seconds because of my gag reflex. It just tastes that bad.

Funny aside:
I once got a keg this beer for party. Yea whatever...I'm a poor college student. I guess every dog has its day. Because everyone drinking there probably assumed out of habit it was a light beer, the higher alcohol content really seemed to be catching up on people. It was a rollicking good time until people started dropping like flies. Let's just say that cleaning the floor after everyone left was not a fun job!

2.11/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer surprised me that it actually wasn't a completely pale beer. It was a light brown. Minimal head that goes away QUICK. The smell is kinda like malt liqour kinda like crap-beer. KINDA bad. The taste is resembles beer but it's so strange how it swings around from decent to kinda gross. There's this bitter slightly sludgy thing going on. It's still surprisingly drinkable I thought it'd be awful cause it was from the 'Natural' family (no pun intended.) The mouthfeel was sorta sticky and watery. It was ok. This beer is very drinkable if you're in the mood to get f-ed up and is still on the kinda awful side. Definitely better than Natty Light but that's not saying much. PABST all the way - it's cheaper and better.

3.04/5  rDev +52%

This beer poured a straw yellow with some dirty orange highlights and a thin film of white head.

Smells of cigarettes, armpit, limes and corn.

All else considered, the flavor blew my mind. Tastes light and smooth with a corn and wheat base along with some green grapes and cherries. What freaked me out was a faint Belgian-like spice. Where did that come from? There’s also some strange acidic sting that accompanies the fruit aspects, but lingers long into the finish.

The mouth feel is a glassy smooth light body with a light big bubbled carbonation.

This was way better than I anticipated. An interesting flavor and nice mouth feel make this a pretty good beer for the price. However, I don’t think I’ll actively seek this one out in cans.

1.65/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

Big bad ass pimp daddy 40oz for $1.75 at Citgo. Poured pale yellow with lots of carbonation and a fuzzy head that disappeared quickly. Smells sweet, flavor is a weak sweet corn flavor that vanishes rapidly. Mouthfeel like water. It's easy to drink in that water is easy to drink too. There really isn't much to this stuff except a bit of a beer buzz. Not impressed but it's what I expected.

Natural Ice from Anheuser-Busch