King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor | Anheuser-Busch

King Cobra Premium Malt LiquorKing Cobra Premium Malt Liquor

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Malt Liquor

King Cobra is an American malt liquor with a robust and full-bodied, smooth, clean taste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002

Reviews: 183 | Ratings: 514
2.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and moderate pale golden yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall sudsy foamy bright white head that reduces to a large patch of mottled thin film covering the entire surface of the beer with a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of cereal grain malts and corn adjuncts with a light amount of sweetness. Hints of grassy hops.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of cereal grain malts with a light to moderate amount of corn adjuncts and a slightly heavier than light amount of sweetness. That is followed by a light hint of grassy hops and light to moderate amounts of fusel alcohol. Moderate amounts of harsh bitterness in the finish which luckily does not linger for too long.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Crisp initially with a slightly slick finish.

O: Overall not as sweet as some of the others in the style but still with a pronounced fusel alcohol presence and a slightly harsh bitterness. Easy enough to drink but not sure that I would consider this one real enjoyable. Tolerable with my pepperoni pizza (after doing my review) but I think I will skip picking this one up again - I have not had one of these since I lived in the projects in college in the mid-1990s.

2.63/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I drank it straight from a 40oz bottle. Didn't bother to pour it into a glass.

Smells of corn, cooked vegetables and a little malt sweetness.

Light and bubbly, and tastes like almost nothing. Not necessarily a bad thing. What little flavor there is isn't bad. Pretty standard “cheap beer' flavor. Corn, cooked vegetables, a little sweetness, and just a hint of grain and alcohol. Very inoffensive.

A perfectly acceptable malt liquor. Cheap and easy to drink. It doesn't even taste too bad when it warms up.

3.04/5  rDev +38.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

My mom loves this beer. Its strange but I believe my brother put her on it. Personally I've had much worse ML,s.

Look: straw pale gold.

Smell: corn grains slight malt but similar to a Light AAL.

Taste: Normal for malt liquor a bit more watery than an O.E.

Feel: Decent carbonation goes down smooth not much after taste.

Overall i enjoy these Its in my top 5 for M.L.

2.62/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Got a the beer in a huge 32 oz bottle. I am just glad I am done with my malt liquors.... the beer is transparently clear, pale yellow, and a thin white head that dies down rather quickly. Aromas of sweet corn is quickly taken over by the burning smell of alcohol. As I go back for another whiff all I can now get is the alcohol smell. The flavor is metallic and watery, and corn flavor and alcohol once again. The beer is very smooth and easy to drink but leaves a weird sticky feeling in my mouth.

1.56/5  rDev -28.8%

"Don't let that smooth taste fool ya." For a moment, when this was cold it did fool me. A relatively decent malt liquor, taste and smell was cooked sweet corn. Did not pour into glass, but could see that this was a pale yellow. The head stuck around every time I took a swig. There was no lacing.

4.18/5  rDev +90.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This may be my new favorite malt, beating out Olde English. The color is typical malt liquor, golden and fizzy. I really love the taste of this beer because it has a perfect malt taste which isn't too thick or overpowering, as well as a very light taste of grain. The finish is extremely smooth with a metallic aftertaste. A very enjoyable malt.

4.74/5  rDev +116.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

i was stationed in Germany and tasted all of the offerings ....one of my favorites was hefe wiesbier ....the filtered version was krystal wiesbier ........i tasted the blue ribbon krystal and when i got back stateside i was a little short on cash and the cashier offered me king cobra....when this ice cold only beer hit my lips it immediately brought me back to Germany ......i believe that this is why Becks bought budweiser jjust to get to the cobra and repackage it....all you snooty beer guys who judge by price.....(its got to be rock gut if its this price) .....can go get your hackershure hefe wiesbier or wiesen but for me i have found my go to beer id rather have this than most other domestic offerings......now samuel adams is cool and i love many high end beers ......i think if they charged 4$ for it the snooty guys would rate it higher....

2.89/5  rDev +32%

this is my go-to beer when i want just a few beers instead of a whole pack of beer. it taste very similer to budlight platinum. it is nice it cost $1.50 and just 2 or 3 of these will do the job. one thing i don't like about it is learned the 32 oz has a whopping almost-1k calories, i need to loose weight and drinking this defenatly dose NOT help.

I primaraly buy this when i am strapped on cash near the end of the month or when i need go go over 5$, the stores don't accept cards unless you go over 5$ here. I have had one of these thugh that i belive was stale and it made me abit sick. for me this is my middle beer, not the worst but not the best.

3.37/5  rDev +53.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

The fifth and final entry of BSBRW (Bottom Shelf Beer Review Week). It's been a rough ride, folks.

Appearance : Pours a slightly cloudy golden straw colored body. Appreciable head is formed, about 3 fingers tall, but fizzles out fast to a small creamy ring. Some residual lacing left behind in small pools on the walls of the glass.

Smell : Lots of dry grain, mostly corn kernels; followed by moldy hay and baby powder. Overall a very musty and sweet aroma.

Taste : Mostly roasted grains, with a hint of hop leaf. The taste isn't substantial, but it's not bad either. The musky, sweet, powdery malt funk is kept to a minimum, but it's still there. It ends on both a grainy sweetness and artificial sweetener note. As the beer warms a bit, (and it only takes but a few minutes), the beer's flaws begin to surface and it becomes a drain pour almost immediately. So drink it cold, and drink it fast.

Feel : The drinkability on this beer is supreme. It goes down smoother than most adjunct lagers and quenches the palate wonderfully. Light bodied, crisp, and ends super clean.

Overall : This is not a bad choice for malt liquor. It's mega cheap and drinks easy.

2.93/5  rDev +33.8%

Poured from a 40oz bottle into.......who the fuck am I kidding, this is malt liquor god dammit and the only way to drink it is out of the bottle in a paper bag outside on a hot day

L: typical malt liquor. Piss gold in color. A bit of lacing.

S: lots of sweet corn and malt in the nose with a bit of solvent on there (alcohol). Undertones of wet cardboard.

T: after a few chugs (you are not allowed to sip this shit) I'm getting a bunch of corn/cereal malt sweetness. No hops to speak of except for balancing out the adjuncts. Finish is surprisingly clean with a bit of alcohol residue

M: finishes a tad dry and clean. Not too carbonated thankfully

Certainly not my pick if forced to choose a malt liquor. Id probably go with Olde English over this.

Side note: I rated this a 3/5 since we are rating this according to style. I never understood why some of the dopey BAs here review according to personal choice, not by style guidelines. Nobody has ever said malt liquor or adjunct lagers were brewed for full flavor. If the brewers were trying to make a tasty Munich Helles Lager and the result was King Cobra then yes, this would deserve a 1/5-- but that is not the case. The brewers set out to make a malt liquor and that's exactly what King Cobra is, so if anything a 3 out of 5 is a pretty harsh score. If you don't understand then just do yourself and everyone else a favor and read the BJCP style guidelines before reviewing

3.25/5  rDev +48.4%

I don't always drink malt liquor,but when I do, I drink King Cobra. Crapola I return to time and time again. 40oz...6%...2 bux..."drinkable"...winning!

1.98/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Poured from a 40 OZ bottle into a red solo cup. This still couldn't conceal my shame!!!
This beer is horrible from the color, smell to the taste. I didn't even like the label on the bottle. I don't mind a good malt liquor, I like Colt 45, Magnum and Private Stock. But this is awful.

3.01/5  rDev +37.4%

The King Cobra malt liquor is the best malt liquor I have ever drank and I have drank a lot of malt liquors.
No such thing of hops in this. No such thing of roasted malt in this.
Just get your buzz on for cheap.
I think that is is brewed at a lower temp than other malts due to the heaviness of the corn adjunct and maybe the artificial sugars that they use over at the St. Louis brewery.
King Cobra...drink it and you'll be a Cobra for life!

3.5/5  rDev +59.8%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A - Light gold

S - A bit absent. There is some grain & corn.

T - Light corn and grain. Carbonation gives some bite in place of hops.

M - Medium- and quite drier than anticipated.

O - Very refreshing but a bit tame for a high gravity lager. If you must mow your lawn this year, King Cobra will balm the savage thirst.

2.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a golden color with only a small lace of head around the rim, highly carbonated. Smells like standard corn adjunct lager. Not much flavor until it reaches the bottom of your throat. Not as putrid as I expected. A little bitter in the aftertaste. After a couple tastes I'm starting to taste the fuel like malt liquor flavor. Far from the best malt liquor, but not the worst either.

2.2/5  rDev +0.5%

When I used to drink malt liquors, this was my favorite. Malt liquors exist to get a person drunk as possible on the least amount of money and I used to buy KC quartz for 99 cents plus tax and CRV back in the 90's, but I have not had this beer since.

2.78/5  rDev +26.9%

*Reviewed with Louisiana Beer Reviews on Youtube

A- Looks like an American lager. It's got some head when you pour it directly down the middle of a glass. Tilting the glass does nothing. But looks like beer in general.

S- Pungent. Unidentifiable grains and cooked veggies. Sweet. Wet paper.

T- Pungent as well. Same as the smell. Grains and cooked veggies with that overall sweet character. No hop character whatsoever. Borderline OK. I think there are other malt liquors that taste better than this one.

M- Very drinkable. It's light to medium, on the light-ish side. It's not a dry as other American lagers. You can feel the sweetness slightly tingling the teeth (strangely enough). The finish has the wet grainy feel to it.

Overall I can't recommend this beer to you, but I wouldn't say this isn't something you shouldn't try. My averge for the rating is 2.8ish, which rounds to being a 3. It's okay, but to me it is a bit harsh and I would rather drink Old English 800 or Private Stock Instead.

3.3/5  rDev +50.7%

Yes, this is not a truly fine brew, but it is cold, wet, carbonated, and cheap. You get what you py for, and sometimes it isn't the higher priced stuff. This stuff is not too bad when icy cold on a hot summer day. Actually, it's pretty good considering the price, although it desperately needs some hops. Sadly, adding a decent amount of hops would raise the price, defeating the point of being the cheapest beer around. I give it a 4.5 because it is good value for the money, and probably best in it's class.

1.83/5  rDev -16.4%

Drink the ol' four-oh down to the bottom of the neck & top the bottle off with a little Tropicana Orange Juice. Gently swirl & enjoy this wonderful poor man's Mimosa. Make Mike D proud & get your brass monkey on, son. If you ain't on that King Cobra grind, then you better get your head right or your wig split.

1.84/5  rDev -16%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Appearance - It's nothing special it's a clear golden and very very bubbly. No head or lacing.

Smell - Smells a lot like vegetable oil and alcohol. I don't think there is much to describe about it.

Taste - I can mostly taste the alcohol with a bit of corn.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, crisp and drinkable for a malt liquor.

Overall - Not something I'd recommend unless you're interested in emptying the change in your pockets. I didn't enjoy this malt liquor that much but it's alright I think there's much better out there.

1.83/5  rDev -16.4%

40 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Split between me and a friend, mfndsvp, acquired at the local beer store for $1.92 with tax. Expectations are next to nothing.

Poured into a Houlihan's pint glass.

A - Pours the typical clear gold with lots of carbonation. A finger or so of fizzy white head that dissipates into nothing quickly. Very thin spotty lacing, but it's still there.

S - Smell is comprised of musty grains / GMO corn / huskiness, and some medicinal wet paper / cardboard going on.

T - Taste follows the nose - wet paper / cardboard, GMO corn / huskiness / grains, and some off medicinal flavors.

M - Feel is crisp, clean, and carbonated. Lightly sticky & papery. Drinkable for the 6.00% abv, but it's just not good.

Overall, another tick from the bottom of the barrel. I've clearly had worse than this, but this isn't a likely contender for repeat drinking. Still light years better than shit like Steel Reserve 211.

King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor ---2/5.

2.61/5  rDev +19.2%

Many friends of mine are in sheer disbelief that I actually like this beer. You probably asking yourself why like they do. First off, the taste to me is better that any other malt liquor, and although the ingredients are simple...corn. Its a smooth drink. its also high in alcohol content which for its price gives a nice cheap buzz. If I drink enough the corn taste keeps getting sweeter. Drink this stuff ice cold and its better in cans, the light cant get to it.

2.18/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bought this in a 25 oz. "one extra ounce" can for my breweriana collection. Poured into a chilled pint glass.

A - Pours a huge loose head that is fleeting and retreats to practically no lacing - just a flat yellow liquid.

S - Adjunct city with metallic overtones.

T - Not as bad as the smell, but still cooked corn and grains with a metallic hint.

M - Surprisingly a little on the watery side.

O - This is best drank ice cold, quickly and straight from the can or bottle. Still, for what it is it really isn't all that bad.

1.68/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

There's nothing like a swill tick on a Sunday evening...

Pours a lifeless clear pale straw color with no head or lacing. Nose is corny, grainy, musty and metallic. There are hints of stale skunky character at the end. Taste starts with water followed by an addition of slightly sweet and musty grain notes that gain in strength. The finish is metallic and stale tasting. Mouthfeel is light and fizzy. Yeah, this one is pretty bad!

1.47/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

this stuff is cheap so thats good , in my area have never found a 40 or any bottle at all of this stuff

taste is kinda gross , the busch gross , over carbonated super thin , i am not a busch fan so if you like busch or budweiser then you should dig this . Its just so carbonated and snkaky

which leads to me to the next point , smell smells kinda corny and adjunky well sure its anheiser and its malt liqour so that doesnt say much but idk it smelled like busch but to the next level.

taste well like i said like busch but since its 6% instead of 4.6 it's more of a pay off, how ever id rather buy steel reserve,old english or hurricane . hurricane is also made my Anheuser and may be harsher , its also got more of a deeper drink and is less carbonated , and best part more abv 2% .

i used to think it was ok , but last time i drank it it was a day after i drank an ice house , the ice house was only 0.5 % less but was way easier to drink .

all in all its not that good imo , look down at the 40s the OE or HGs and you'll get more abv and more to drink for the price

id rather skip the 6% buzz and go for rolling rock if i had to choose between the two .

how ever if you do try it its only a $1.80 loss...

King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor from Anheuser-Busch