King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

King Cobra is an American malt liquor with a robust and full-bodied, smooth, clean taste.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-18-2002

2.2

View: Beers
1.18/5  rDev -42.4%

2.75/5  rDev +34.1%

1.74/5  rDev -15.1%

Bought a 40 oz bottle, drank colder than room temperature but not chilled.

Very orange in color. Pours a small head that doesn't last long. Some short lived lacing down the bottle.

Smells like malts, corn. No boozy smell.

Tasted alright at first. Sweetness, corn, and malt flavor for most of the bottle. The finish at the bottom is unusually foul for a cheap beer and made me gag.

Not as syrupy as some other malt liquors. It's low in calories compared to most, so that might have something to do with this.

Overall, would not recommend even from a guy that likes really cheap macro beers. I only see it in 40 oz bottles, and even in its packaging/price range there are other beers that are better.

1.87/5  rDev -8.8%

It was a day before payday and I noticed I was down to five dollars in my pocket. Since I realized I couldn't afford a Sammy, Lagunita, or Dust Bowl I decided to buy a couple of ice cold cobra 40's. I was two gulps into my second 40 when I suddenly felt the urge to smoke crack and do a drive by. After finishing it I moved from my apartment into an alley and started urinating in public. I'm hooked.

2.78/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

1.06/5  rDev -48.3%

2.42/5  rDev +18%

Typical malt liquor, cheap an filling, I only recommend this if your looking to get a quick drunk

2.35/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Typical bottom-shelf malt liquor. I do admit to having drunk quite a bit of this, however, when I was much younger. Not as common around here lately, though.

1.08/5  rDev -47.3%

2.08/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

2.25/5  rDev +9.8%

Only buy when playing Edward 40 Hands with friends! But still, there are better 40s out there..

2.08/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Type: 25-oz. can
Glass: Clear 15.25-oz. pilsner
From: 5 Star Market & Liquor in La Mesa, Calif..
Price: $1.49
Purchased: Sept. 12, 2017
Consumed: Sept. 12, 2017
Reviewed as: American Malt Liquor
Misc.: Bottom of can read, “17229” - assuming canned on Aug. 17, 2017, but that appears too good to be true

Recently was dared to review a King Cobra. Actually did not know that Malt Liquor was reviewable on Beer Advocate. Once I looked it up and saw I was, had to go with it. Once I saw that there were seven (seven!) other Malt Liquors at the next-door market, made it a point to review one each Tuesday until I run out. Typically am against all the big boy beers, but I am breaking that rule for this challenge. Looking at King Cobra, it was the 28th-worst beer on Beer Advocate at the time of purchase. This was going to be awful.

Poured a straw-to-pale clear color with three fingers of rocky white head. Lots of fast-moving bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. Excellent uneven foamy lacing. Almost perfect foamy retention. (Sight - 4.50)

Smelled light grain up front, which was immediately swallowed up by buttery creamy corn. It was almost like it was building to something (neither good nor bad) but decided to just stop instead. Also sweet syrupy malts, scrambled eggs, lingering fart, hints of honey and a touch of sweet caramel. Without looking, would think this would be a lager of some sort, probably American Adjunct Lager. Much better on the nose as it went down. Had me looking forward to trying it. (Smell - 2.75)

Was not digging the taste early on. First thought it was so damn light, crazy considering it compared to an AAL. Then got a weird creamy corn, sweet syrupy taste that had me shaking my head and scrunching my mouth. It’s almost like they forgot to add flavor to this. Still got scrambled eggs, wet fart, corn adjunct, light grain, hints of green apple and earthy grass. Kind of a mess really, every sip. Very unbalanced. Does not taste 6 pct. ABV at all, just like a typical AAL. (Taste - 1.75)

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt finish. This got terrible as it warmed. Wow. Actually almost dry-heaved. (Feel - 1.00)

Well, had to start somewhere with the Malt Liquors. Would not recommend to anyone, including the homeless or poor. (Overall - 1.75)

2.08 | 51 | D

4.68/5  rDev +128.3%

1.86/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

3.14/5  rDev +53.2%

2.86/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

If I was rating the can version it'd gotten a 1 on everything, but I have to admit I kind of like the 40 oz bottles. I don't know what they do to the cans but the 40's aren't half bad. It kind of burns a little more than some beers but I don't mind it much. This is one of my favorite cheaper beers.

1.69/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

after watching this how can you not give a 5* rating???

2.2/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Aroma is malts, corn and a hint of fruit and alcohol. The flavor is sweet corn/malts, mild fruit, rather bland in the middle and an alcoholic finish.

2.94/5  rDev +43.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.79/5  rDev +36.1%