King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor

Gots
SCORE
Awful
King Cobra Premium Malt LiquorKing Cobra Premium Malt Liquor
Notes: King Cobra is an American malt liquor with a robust and full-bodied, smooth, clean taste.
Reviews: 202 | Ratings: 564 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
2.29/5  rDev +14.5%

25oz can stamped 18337 (about 6 months old) poured into a vintage Spuds MacKenzie mug at fridge temp 6% ABV. The beer pours mostly bright golden yellow with fizzy nearly white head. The head recedes to a thin ring and few bubbles. The aroma is chemical more than anything else, maybe a hint of corn. The taste is nuetral until mid palate where rotten corn and spoiled vegetable starts to come on before a buttery, oily unbittered finish. The mouthfeel is thin bodied, highly carbonated and undry in the finish. There is a pretty slick unfinished fermentation finish and some spoiled / tart notes that linger. Overall, bad. At least pick a higher ABV malt liquor if it's going to be unpleasant. The only taste or feel that come through are the flaws.

2/5  rDev 0%

It's not the worst brew out there, but it's far closer to the bottom than the top. Had it last about 5 years ago, don't know why I bought it but I did.
It is a malt liquor, and as such it is not terrible example. As I should be judging it for what it is, the rating probably should be higher. But I did end up tossing out a little less than half of the 40oz bottle. It was just not good.

2.39/5  rDev +19.5%

40 oz. bottle:

Pours clean, straw yellow. A fizzy white head descends to a thin island. No real lacing. Typical macro lager/malt liquor look.

The smell is pretty clean - some fruity alcohol. Cheap lager aroma. Not much worse than expected.

The taste is sweet without much flavor (some cooked veggies?) Pretty devoid of flavor except some alcohol and maybe a hint of grain. Relatively clean finish. Bland, cardboard like aftertaste, that is, thankfully, relatively short-lived.

Pretty smooth considering alcohol shows. But, thin - thinner than others of the style.

A watery, alcohol-forward (despite it being a modest 6% abv), bland, but relatively drinkable, cheap malt liquor. Sweet-leaning. There are better (and worse) malt liquors out there.

2.29/5  rDev +14.5%

So This is a buck or 2 by me. The smell well it smells burnt and like a gorillas ass but its my preferred 40 oz malt when theyre out of colt 45 at my gas station but this stuff will rip you apart fast after 3 40's I'm busted and in the back of a cop car you get what I'm saying lol. Not bad if you want to get ripped up real fast.

3.18/5  rDev +59%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance:
Sudsy white head that falls to thin film. Beautiful clear gold color and lots of bubbles rising.

Aroma:
Faint pils malt, rice, slight fruit juice note. No Hops.

Flavor:
Clean, grainy, ricey, slight bit of alcohol sweetness. No distinct hop presence in the mouth. No strong off flavors.

Mouthfeel:
Light and slightly rough on the tongue after a while but within tolerance for style. CO2 is high.

Overall:
This is a cheap malt liquor that drinks easy and has little in the way of flavor, good or bad. In the style category it is one of the better ones. In the grand scheme of beer, it is a bottom feeder for sure.

4.24/5  rDev +112%

Appearance- Gold, Thick White Head, Barely Bubbly.
Aroma- Faint and Subtle, Some Malts, Corny, Ricey, White Breadiness, and Almost no Hoppiness.
Taste- Sweet, Malty, Corny, Ricey, Bready, and Very Very Low Hoppiness.
Mouthfeel- Light and Watery with a Light and Watery Body.
Overall Conclusion- Not one I'd go out a get. Its not what I'm looking for in a Malt Liquor. The body and flavor are kinda lacking. Somewhat unbalanced in the flavor category as well. However, its a great entry-level Malt Liquor. For those who are wanting to step their game to a Malt Liquor. Would recommend for that.

3.42/5  rDev +71%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

(40 oz bottle, no bottle code or date... poured into a snifter, about 1/4 of the bottle at a time)

L: crystal-clear, slightly-pale gold colored liquid; little foam on the pour, only a thin collar remains... second pour yielded much more foam, but it deflates in seconds, though a few lil scars of lace circle the glass

S: no spray of skunk upon cap removal... light pilsner malt aroma with hint of cardboard... dried grass undertone, little alcohol present... certainly malty, but anemic intensity

T: one of the thinnest malt flavors/foundations I've come across in a malt liquor - little discernible sweetness, bitterness is relatively dull but has a mild peppery bite with could be in part carbonic acid, aftertaste is quite dry with perhaps minuscule notes of circus peanut and dried out candy caramel, but that's a stretch... the malt opens up a tad through subsequent sips, but the overall taste remains that of a 'premium'-grade Bud, underbelly as watery as some watery water

F: little body (take away the water and it's just air), little dimension, virtually no finish (if that's possible)... there's a light, refreshing kiss of soft carbonation with each sip... the engineering on this remarkable (or it's just water diluted with beer) - probably the second most watery beer I've ever had next to Natty Ice (oh wow! AB brews that too, surprise surprise)

O: impulse buy at a liquor store I'd never visited (along with a low-priced Johnnie Walker Green); pulled the bottle out from behind a couple others in a dimly-lit fridge, thinking the less exposure to light might bode better for any skunk present... one of the most neutral-tasting, boring-to-death, yet supremely-crushable malt liquors I've come across, which is its only compliment as it's not the least bit off-putting given that there's next to nothing going on... I would no doubt buy this again in the event I needed a dirt-cheap beer buzz in large volume

4.98/5  rDev +149%

Dirt cheap beer with good taste and nice buzz if you're looking for one. The apperience is a classic pale straw with slight gold hues. I like the presentation of the beer. A simple design with the cobra. The aroma is sweet and inviting, soft yeasty and general smell of beer. The first sip is damn near perfect. Top end of sweetness and maltiness. The middle is tangy with a good amount of malt and finishes with a clean, crisp and dry swallow. The hop notes are grassy like all lagers however you don't pick up much. It's really all about balance. This beer is not sickening sweet and the adjucts are not noticeable. The feel is rather syrupy and not creamy. There is a decent amount of body. Nice crisp, clean and smooth. I really think this is a great cheap beer, don't hesitate to give it a try!

Overall KING COBRA IS MY DRANK!! I hated beer until theFirst time I had the taste its guaranteed great quality good time and feeling good why doing it bEFORE AND AFTER it's smooth , silk creeps up on you just like a snake it is a 10 and is the one and only drink that makes me want to know what I'm drinking so I can go get more cobra.

1.76/5  rDev -12%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Drank from a glass 40 ounce bottle. Scores and review are based within the style.

Look - The label looked like a teenager whipped it up real quick in Microsoft Paint. The liquid inside was a pale straw that was as clear as a freshly cleaned window.

Smell - Nothing at all. By far the best quality of this beer.

Taste - Moldy corn, a wet stick, canned green beans. Weirdly salty for some reason. I've never tasted anything like it before.

Feel - Far too carbonated with a sickly thick, syrup-like body. Not pleasant to drink.

Overall - A real stinker of a malt liquor. Definitely one of the worst beers in general that I've ever had.

2.34/5  rDev +17%

Bought a 40 oz bottle, drank colder than room temperature but not chilled.

Very orange in color. Pours a small head that doesn't last long. Some short lived lacing down the bottle.

Smells like malts, corn. No boozy smell.

Tasted alright at first. Sweetness, corn, and malt flavor for most of the bottle. The finish at the bottom is unusually foul for a cheap beer and made me gag.

Not as syrupy as some other malt liquors. It's low in calories compared to most, so that might have something to do with this.

Overall, would not recommend even from a guy that likes really cheap macro beers. I only see it in 40 oz bottles, and even in its packaging/price range there are other beers that are better.

1.87/5  rDev -6.5%

It was a day before payday and I noticed I was down to five dollars in my pocket. Since I realized I couldn't afford a Sammy, Lagunita, or Dust Bowl I decided to buy a couple of ice cold cobra 40's. I was two gulps into my second 40 when I suddenly felt the urge to smoke crack and do a drive by. After finishing it I moved from my apartment into an alley and started urinating in public. I'm hooked.

2.35/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Typical bottom-shelf malt liquor. I do admit to having drunk quite a bit of this, however, when I was much younger. Not as common around here lately, though.

2.08/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Type: 25-oz. can
Glass: Clear 15.25-oz. pilsner
From: 5 Star Market & Liquor in La Mesa, Calif..
Price: $1.49
Purchased: Sept. 12, 2017
Consumed: Sept. 12, 2017
Reviewed as: American Malt Liquor
Misc.: Bottom of can read, “17229” - assuming canned on Aug. 17, 2017, but that appears too good to be true

Recently was dared to review a King Cobra. Actually did not know that Malt Liquor was reviewable on Beer Advocate. Once I looked it up and saw I was, had to go with it. Once I saw that there were seven (seven!) other Malt Liquors at the next-door market, made it a point to review one each Tuesday until I run out. Typically am against all the big boy beers, but I am breaking that rule for this challenge. Looking at King Cobra, it was the 28th-worst beer on Beer Advocate at the time of purchase. This was going to be awful.

Poured a straw-to-pale clear color with three fingers of rocky white head. Lots of fast-moving bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. Excellent uneven foamy lacing. Almost perfect foamy retention. (Sight - 4.50)

Smelled light grain up front, which was immediately swallowed up by buttery creamy corn. It was almost like it was building to something (neither good nor bad) but decided to just stop instead. Also sweet syrupy malts, scrambled eggs, lingering fart, hints of honey and a touch of sweet caramel. Without looking, would think this would be a lager of some sort, probably American Adjunct Lager. Much better on the nose as it went down. Had me looking forward to trying it. (Smell - 2.75)

Was not digging the taste early on. First thought it was so damn light, crazy considering it compared to an AAL. Then got a weird creamy corn, sweet syrupy taste that had me shaking my head and scrunching my mouth. It’s almost like they forgot to add flavor to this. Still got scrambled eggs, wet fart, corn adjunct, light grain, hints of green apple and earthy grass. Kind of a mess really, every sip. Very unbalanced. Does not taste 6 pct. ABV at all, just like a typical AAL. (Taste - 1.75)

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt finish. This got terrible as it warmed. Wow. Actually almost dry-heaved. (Feel - 1.00)

Well, had to start somewhere with the Malt Liquors. Would not recommend to anyone, including the homeless or poor. (Overall - 1.75)

2.08 | 51 | D

2.86/5  rDev +43%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

If I was rating the can version it'd gotten a 1 on everything, but I have to admit I kind of like the 40 oz bottles. I don't know what they do to the cans but the 40's aren't half bad. It kind of burns a little more than some beers but I don't mind it much. This is one of my favorite cheaper beers.

2.2/5  rDev +10%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Aroma is malts, corn and a hint of fruit and alcohol. The flavor is sweet corn/malts, mild fruit, rather bland in the middle and an alcoholic finish.

2.07/5  rDev +3.5%

25 fl oz can purchased at an embarrassingly downtrodden Brooklyn, NY bodega.

6% ABV. "Smooth taste." (So all you lovers of coarse tasting beer should keep away).

Pours a soft frothy head of ~2 fingers thickness.

Aroma brings notes of creamed corn, DMS, and muted generic malt sweetness.

Taste is surprisingly inoffensive, though there is some sharpness to the texture in terms of overcarbonation. Not so much imbalanced as unbalanced, King Cobra suffers from high sweetness throughout and an inadequate hop profile to compensate.

Medium-bodied and thick for a beer so relatively flavour-bereft. Smooth and wet.

Overall, it's mediocre at best and while its ABV isn't as noticeable as it could be, this isn't a brew I'd revisit voluntarily.

D (2.07) / NOT RECOMMENDED

***
03/24/17: 25 fl oz aluminum can 2nd impression:

D / NOT RECOMMENDED

***
07/12/17 impression:

Ended up with a can for a $1.25 as part of a wrap party and figured I'd give this another fair shake.

Aroma yields syrupy malts, high sweetness, and obvious corn adjunct. Not grainy or cereal-emphatic, which would actually be preferable, but also not watery (which could or could not be worse depending on how syrupy this actually ends up being). Aroma suggests an off-puttingly thick brew with off-puttingly high (and borderline medicinal) sweetness. Aromatic intensity is average. No hop aromatics, no yeast aromatics. Lager yeast is indicated given the lack of esters.

High sweetness. Syrupy feel. Plagued by a metallic off-flavour. Imbalanced (or perhaps more accurately, unbalanced). Mineral water. I suspect lager yeast was used, but it isn't a clean or crisp brew. Smooth, wet, lumpy, thick, and overly hefty for a beer this shallow and simple. Corn adjunct is obvious. I'd like more of a grainy taste, and it'd be better watery. Poorly built across the board, but to give credit where it's due, this isn't boozy like many expressions of the style.

It's $1.25 per 25oz can in Brooklyn, and I suppose at that price it's a passable brew for students and boozers. But there are better beers at lower prices per ounce and this leaves a lot to be desired. The kind of brew I associate with frat boys, hazy double vision nights ending in vomit, and aluminum trash can fires in alleyways. Far from the worst out there, but this puts the bar scarcely above the ground.

D / NOT RECOMMENDED

1.77/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

You get that macro lager malt liquor dense urine appearance from this one, can't hold a loose bubble head. Aroma was industrial old beer, alcohol, solvent.

Some lager like yeast fruity corn sweetness comes in first on the taste, paired with a substantial alcohol presence. There isn't the barley backbone to hold this up to the corn syrup + alcohol combination on this one. Certainly the colder the beer the better on this one.

2.38/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and moderate pale golden yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall sudsy foamy bright white head that reduces to a large patch of mottled thin film covering the entire surface of the beer with a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of cereal grain malts and corn adjuncts with a light amount of sweetness. Hints of grassy hops.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of cereal grain malts with a light to moderate amount of corn adjuncts and a slightly heavier than light amount of sweetness. That is followed by a light hint of grassy hops and light to moderate amounts of fusel alcohol. Moderate amounts of harsh bitterness in the finish which luckily does not linger for too long.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Crisp initially with a slightly slick finish.

O: Overall not as sweet as some of the others in the style but still with a pronounced fusel alcohol presence and a slightly harsh bitterness. Easy enough to drink but not sure that I would consider this one real enjoyable. Tolerable with my pepperoni pizza (after doing my review) but I think I will skip picking this one up again - I have not had one of these since I lived in the projects in college in the mid-1990s.

2.63/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I drank it straight from a 40oz bottle. Didn't bother to pour it into a glass.

Smells of corn, cooked vegetables and a little malt sweetness.

Light and bubbly, and tastes like almost nothing. Not necessarily a bad thing. What little flavor there is isn't bad. Pretty standard “cheap beer' flavor. Corn, cooked vegetables, a little sweetness, and just a hint of grain and alcohol. Very inoffensive.

A perfectly acceptable malt liquor. Cheap and easy to drink. It doesn't even taste too bad when it warms up.

3.04/5  rDev +52%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

My mom loves this beer. Its strange but I believe my brother put her on it. Personally I've had much worse ML,s.

Look: straw pale gold.

Smell: corn grains slight malt but similar to a Light AAL.

Taste: Normal for malt liquor a bit more watery than an O.E.

Feel: Decent carbonation goes down smooth not much after taste.

Overall i enjoy these Its in my top 5 for M.L.

2.62/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Got a the beer in a huge 32 oz bottle. I am just glad I am done with my malt liquors.... the beer is transparently clear, pale yellow, and a thin white head that dies down rather quickly. Aromas of sweet corn is quickly taken over by the burning smell of alcohol. As I go back for another whiff all I can now get is the alcohol smell. The flavor is metallic and watery, and corn flavor and alcohol once again. The beer is very smooth and easy to drink but leaves a weird sticky feeling in my mouth.

1.56/5  rDev -22%

"Don't let that smooth taste fool ya." For a moment, when this was cold it did fool me. A relatively decent malt liquor, taste and smell was cooked sweet corn. Did not pour into glass, but could see that this was a pale yellow. The head stuck around every time I took a swig. There was no lacing.

4.18/5  rDev +109%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This may be my new favorite malt, beating out Olde English. The color is typical malt liquor, golden and fizzy. I really love the taste of this beer because it has a perfect malt taste which isn't too thick or overpowering, as well as a very light taste of grain. The finish is extremely smooth with a metallic aftertaste. A very enjoyable malt.

4.74/5  rDev +137%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

i was stationed in Germany and tasted all of the offerings ....one of my favorites was hefe wiesbier ....the filtered version was krystal wiesbier ........i tasted the blue ribbon krystal and when i got back stateside i was a little short on cash and the cashier offered me king cobra....when this ice cold only beer hit my lips it immediately brought me back to Germany ......i believe that this is why Becks bought budweiser jjust to get to the cobra and repackage it....all you snooty beer guys who judge by price.....(its got to be rock gut if its this price) .....can go get your hackershure hefe wiesbier or wiesen but for me i have found my go to beer id rather have this than most other domestic offerings......now samuel adams is cool and i love many high end beers ......i think if they charged 4$ for it the snooty guys would rate it higher....

King Cobra Premium Malt Liquor from Anheuser-Busch