Busch Beer | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Busch and Busch Light are both brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn to provide a pleasant balanced flavor. Additionally, Busch Light undergoes a longer brewing process that produces a lighter body and fewer calories.

Added by Todd on 11-20-2000

Liked:
2.01/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,700 |  Reviews: 463
Reviews by Swim424:
1.65/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from the new/old labeled bottle into pint glass. Looks like water. I have never poured a beer this light. Good lord. Tons of carbonation. Small head that falls fast. Smells like...carbonated water. I honestly don't think they put any barley or hops in this one. Just rice and water. Maybe a hint of yeast. Tastes like...water flavored with corn. Very carbonated. Extremely thin and light just like the color shows. This isn't god awful, but this isn't anything to go out of my way for here. Maybe wouldn't mind having this on a hot summer day mowing the lawn, but I could find something better for the occasion. Best thing about this beer is the price tag, 4.99 a sixer.

1.5/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Once upon a time, I lived next door to a kid my age named Brett. We used to be really good friends. When we were 16 or 17, we used to always try and get alcohol and beer and drink in his backyard. He was a big-time hunter and a redneck through and through, and his beer of choice was always Busch. I was young and only cared about getting drunk, so I had no problems with it.

There was one night when him and I alone finished a thirty pack. He may have had one or two more than I did, but he's a much bigger guy than me, too. I tried jumping over a fence without touching it with my hands and ended up smashing my face into the ground. At one point, Brett was laying on his back and pissing straight up into the air. I'm pretty sure the girls we were with were gone by this point, or at least I hope so.

Brett dropped out of college, moved a few hours away and ended up getting engaged to the first girlfriend he's ever had. Every time I see pictures of him, he gets bigger and bigger, balder and balder. He still takes pictures of himself holding a Busch in his hand every now and then. Whenever I see them, I remember the time he walked into 7-Eleven and filled a Double Gulp with pop and put a tall boy of Four Loko inside of it. He got away with it and we got drunk off of one Four Loko.

This beer sucks, but it's pale-straw body, metallic, grainy aroma, and corny, residual sugar-filled taste reminds me of some of the best (and most stupid) times of my life.

I miss Brett.

When you plop a 30 pack of this nectar of the Gods down on the counter and your local swill proprietor says $15, what exactly are you expecting? Get off your high horses with all these 1's and 2's.
A-looks like a beer
S-smells like a beer
T-wouldn't you know it tastes like a beer
M-feels like a beer in there
O-if you're expecting this to be a world class beer you need to get out more. It's a beer you can drink all day and night. While I'm a huge fan of dark heavy strong beers I always have me some Busch on hand.

This is incredibly Cheap beer. Bought a 6 pack just because i wanted beer. Wasn't really expecting much. I don't drink normally, and when i do its either coors extra gold or Coors Banquet. Honestly this is a flavorful Cheap beer. Sometimes i come home after a long days work. I don't spend a ridiculous amount on Booze of any sort, I just want the flavor of beer sometimes. I drank this. After a long 10 hour shift of physically demanding work in a warehouse walking constantly all day for 4 to 5 days a week, this is so good. Also i enjoy these with fishing. I admit i'm biased as this was my first beer. Certainly Beats budweiser and its cheaper. I never have had anything too expensive. Sam adams was the most expensive. Coming home on Night shift, and buying this, and drinking one ice cold, it seems so good. Certainly would buy this over bud light. Bought this drank it ice cold, it certainly makes A nice refreshing beer. for 15 bucks for a 30 pack or 6 for a 12 pack, you can't go wrong. Craft brew drinkers should probably stay away because they like better taste and more hops. But for a guy who just drinks a beer for refreshment, this will do the trick better than bud light, mainly because bud light is more expensive and doesnt have any flavor. Honestly this is better than budweiser. Can't go wrong with it. i buy one every night after work. put in the freezer for a bit. Then I drink it, and it is just a delicious refreshment that goes down smooth crisp and clean. I substitute this with Busch Light or Coors light sometimes. Don't spend a lot of money on booze because i'm saving up for a house. So this is good. When i usually buy coors light this beats that and doesnt have the metallic taste.

4.69/5  rDev +133.3%

BEER SNOB ALERT!!

American-style lager is a real style folks. Rate it for what it is, please! Sure, it's not incredibly complex and does not have aromas of chocolate, cedar prunings and pine needles. But hey, our lives are complex enough and sometimes we need simplicity. That being said I enjoy all styles of beers from Trappist ales to the hoppiest of craft IPAs. Busch has no off flavours or aromas, is smooth and extremely refreshing. One thing that makes Busch unique is that it's a bit lighter than most lagers, but not a light beer. If you need to consume a few, but still want a fuller flavour, this is the ticket. For the price, taste, and quality, it's hard to beat (around the) Busch.

I lived in St. Louis and have been to the brewery many times. Like it or not, AB makes a good quality, amazingly consistent product. Really tired of the beer snob conspiracy theories. Too bad it is no longer American owned.

I'd love to see more defunct great American lagers like Falstaff come back, or a craft brewer really take an honest shot at this category.

3.77/5  rDev +87.6%

I'll proudly drink it any day - even over a ton of craft brews. It is what it is. For something cheap it is quite good. Get over it snobs, I'm going to buy a 30 pack for $15 at Walmart now ;)

1.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Presentation: 12oz can. Stamped born on date. Claims to be "Born of Natural Ingredients, Smooth, Refreshing Beer" ... "Brewed from water, barley malt, cereal grain, hops and yeast. There is nothing artificial in this product."

Appearance: If this beer was any clearer, it'd be called Zima. Extremely pale/straw, clear with a tighly carbonated foam lace.

Smell: Kind of funky smelling. Like cold raw meat. Some grain notes too.

Taste: About the thinnest mouthfeel I've ever tasted. A very watery beer. Malt flavour is very light. Dextrin and corn sweetness, especially as the beer warms. Hops are present, only lending a mild floral flavour and touch of lemon bitterness. DMS flavours (cooked veggies) as the beer warms. Finishes slightly dry with grain notes. All I can think of is "corn" ... you really pick-up on the addition of corn adjuncts. It changes everything from the flavour to the alcohol, chemically. Plus ... it's a cheap addition.

Notes: Whatever.

This is what I refer to as "lake beer" or as my father says "lawnmower beer". Basically a great beer for a hot day spent outdoors. If you worked all day in the 103° heat sweating, tired and soar, and say someone gave you and ice cold can of Busch. You would think the sweet nectar of the gods was being poured down your gullet by the almighty hand of Zeus himself. Okay, maybe I'm embellishing a bit. The taste is average but it's very drinkable and enjoyable. I love all types of beers, even a $2 can of Busch. Next time you find yourself on a hot day get a cooler full of these and you might hear yourself say "you know, this is not bad at all "

2.58/5  rDev +28.4%

Busch isn't going to be winning any awards, but it's the go-to beer for me and my friends. It's pretty cheap and it gets the job done. When I first gave it a shot, I thought it was about 4/10, but over time I've slowly devolved a taste for it. Perhaps the good times I've had with friends while having this beer have created a kind of nostalgia, perhaps I just have bad taste, but I truly enjoy this beer these days.

It has a mostly mild and unoffensive taste, and it's pretty easy to drink as long as you take it a bit slow. It works well cold, and also mildly cold, I don't think I'd want it warm though hah.

2.13/5  rDev +6%

24oz can, the other half of the unholy duo from a last-minute rest stop purchase before crossing back into Canuckistan last month...is 'Busch' really a smooth-sounding name?

This beer pours a very, very pale golden yellow colour, with tons of puffy, and thinly foamy white head, which dissipates soon enough (debate if you must), leaving some random wisps of escaping soul lace around the glass.

It smells of sweet and grainy rice and corn, a bit of buttery diacetyl, and some mildly skunky, ok, I'll bite - hoppy weediness. The taste is more reservedly sweet rice/corn diluted grain pudding (speaking of unholy duos), some very mild, dulled beyond belief fruitiness, a hint of stale grassiness, and a stony, metallic edge.

The carbonation is quite high, but in a mostly fast-disappearing frothy sense, the effect on the top of the palate trivial at best, which confuses the perception of the otherwise thin as fuck body, making it seem fuller than it actually is, and the smoothness the same bullshit corporately-mandated plainness found anywhere and everywhere. It finishes off-dry, the lingering sweet cornfield graininess tempered somewhat by the metallic, almost, but not quite, fruity dryness.

Since I'm still talking about this, there must be something to say - there really wasn't much degradation as this one warmed, and though it's pretty much unimpressive all around, nothing overtly offensive arises, at the same rate. Mine was born on May 19, 2010, which puts this little exercise right on the cusp of tasting 'unfresh' - glad I dodged that bullet. The best I can say about this is, it's not really any worse than Bud, which seems barely worth the whole dollar I spent on this.

2.41/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Extremely pale in color with a fleeting head and minimal head retention and lacing. The smell is dominated by adjuncts with some grains. The taste is extremely light and the moutfeel quite thin with essentially no finish. This is perhaps a great beer fishing or some other outdoor activity since everything tastes better outdoors. Not as "bad" as some would have you believe, but even within its class there are better choices.

2.13/5  rDev +6%

Pours golden color with some good foam and mild lacing. Smells of light hops, grains. and sugar. The taste is ok, this is meant to be a light beer and hits the mark. Get a good grainy taste with mild malty sweetness and light hops notes. Overall it is what it was meant to be, crushable on hot summer day without a heavy hit.

2.33/5  rDev +15.9%

A crystal clear and very light straw colored body is topped by a decent-sized head of creamy, bright-white foam. The retention is good and it maintains a creamy collar as well as leaving some transient lacing just above the level of the beer with each sip. The nose is limited but reveals a very mild note of malt amongst a light fruitiness. The body is light and it's quite crisp in the mouth due to a very fine median carbonation. The flavor reveals little more than the nose suggests, however, the limited amount of malt that's there does combine nicely with the mild fruitiness. It's not bitter, but it is highly attenuated leaving nothing behind to need balancing. There's obviously a good deal of adjunct being used here. Of course, this beer isn't about being a flavorful beer - it's about being a beer without flavor. It's obviously intended as a beer that can be consumed in mass quantities without leaving anything on the palate; and it succeeds with the exception of the alcohol that's necessarily present. Of course, the people that are drinking this are obviously looking for alcohol over flavor. It's very well crafted, but lacking in character. For my money, I'd rather have a light beer.

I grew up seeing the Busch Beer commercials and never really drank until I was in my mid twenties, fearing that it would be a bad beer. I was really surprised how easy and drinkable Bucsh Beer is and the lack of hangover it produced. It pours light golden, with average carbonation, and a light head. It has a ricey, malty taste, with hints of wheat and sweetness. There is a little edge, with an average aftertaste, and it is not very filling. It's not the worst beer, but not the best beer either, good for when your working out in the hot sun...

This is a pale colored lager poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. It has minimal head and had little "bite" or a strong beer taste. A popular "dad's" beer from the 70-90s and still popular with the young adults on a fixed budget. Not horrible, but definitely not a craft beer.

4.67/5  rDev +132.3%

first off my group of friends drinks way too much shitty beer so this review is mostly in comparison to other shitty beers. purchased a 30 pack for a party, we usually buy keystone or miller high life. busch has a bit more taste than coors or keystone and doesnt give me a headache once i drink 14 of them like keystone will. they are easy to shot gun and i really dont mind the taste especially compared to the metallic flavor of miller. my uncle always drank busch in front of me and when i was a teenager he would give me one sometimes and reefered them "alaskan sodas". il admit its a little bit like drinking urine but they go down easy and it gives you something to do in the form of drinking and peeing all night long instead of getting too fucked off the bat. its also nice to take a couple tequila shots and then get to fine tuning your drunk and eventually passing out/ puking and you dont look like as much of a pussy drinking busch as you would rolling rock but im rambling and busch is goood

4.32/5  rDev +114.9%

When Your Due For a Beer Busch Does It.
Busch beer is a Beer that is brewed by Anheuser Busch with an ABV of 4.6%. This beer is just an average American beer. Busch pours out a nice amber color with a nice white head. The appearance is like every outer type of American Lager . The small is sweet with some grains and malts. The taste is sweet with grains and malts. There is nothing overpowering in this brew. Busch has a nice balance to it. Drink ability is high good down smooth. Overall I'm giving Busch a 5 out of 5. I would buy this brew again. Anheuser-Busch did a nice job with this one.
This is one of my top brews on my list.

Thick white head. Pale yellow colour.

The smell is very light malted barley and extremely light hops.

Taste is similar.

Body is light and the finish is crisp.

Best enjoyed icy cold.

Bottle: This is very similar to other macro beers except maybe a bit sweeter. I sometime wonder if people notice that macro beers all taste very similar in the end. Anyway, my uncle seems to really enjoy this last time I went to his place and I had this for a drink.

2.63/5  rDev +30.8%

Really cheap beer my dad used to drink when I was a small child. Now that I'm old enough to drink and enjoy beers, I wanted some Busch so I can be JustLikeMyDad.

Busch is again, cheap. But not as bad as you might think. It's Crisp, light, and refreshing. It tastes of carbonated water with a light beer flavor. It's not awful, but the smell and taste don't have much going for it. It's nice on a hot summer day to have a cold one of these.

4.06/5  rDev +102%

Listen, this beer holds a special place in my heart. My first beer was a Busch, and the taste of it has been special to me ever since. I know it gets trashed by beer snobs, but there is nothing more classic and nostalgic than an ice cold Busch. It's clear and bright as mountain air for a reason.

4.08/5  rDev +103%

As a non biased fan of craft beer, and pure American swill, I genuinely find regular Busch to be far more enjoyable than (Budweiser/Bud Light) This is not only because of the lower price, but because the taste meets somewhere in the middle of it's economic superiors. The smell might not be to pleasant to many people on here, but the body is full, the taste is clean and smooth, and after some doing yard work on a hot summer day (yes I know, the Cliché), it's excellent! The history of Busch is also intriguing to me, it was the first popular "budget beer" of the 1950's, always one of my favorite classics, if not my favorite, cheers!

3.95/5  rDev +96.5%

Busch is kinda "cheap" Budweiser. Overall its made exactly the same as Budweiser, except with corn instead of rice grains. This is you ultimately average American beer. It's not fancy, its not horrible, its not as cheap as Natural Light and won't get you insanely hungover....

A friend of mine used to work for Budweiser and he said Busch is "beechwood aged" the same way... This has nothing to do with flavour. It's strictly to speed up the fermentation process without actually flavouring the beer at all.

Cold Busch is perfect for a barbeque or cookout. This is session beer. This is not high class or high hops. Busch is what your grandfather drank after mowing the yard..

1.35/5  rDev -32.8%

If this is made from natural ingredients, they have nothing to do with the beer brewing process...it's all that snow the Midwest gets plowed up, melted and mixed with old drums of Schlitz...

1.96/5  rDev -2.5%

Born on 01Jul13. Acquired at a local 7-11; I'm stuck in a small town (Richfield) in Utah. 24 fl oz aluminum can with intricate label art served into a styrofoam cup in my hotel room. Expectations are as low as possible given the brewery. Reviewed live.

Served cold. Side-poured gently as overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: Pours a fluffy head of white colour. Light creaminess. Pathetically thin. Body colour is a thin watery clear yellow of no vibrance whatsoever. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks awful. Retention is above average - about 3 minutes.

Sm: Clean barley. Straw. Cereals. Grains. Crisp. Watery swill. No hops, yeast, or alcohol are/is detectable. A weak pathetic aroma of light strength. Corn adjunct. Pretty shocked this isn't a light beer, to be honest. It could be more offensive than it is.

T: Weak barley. Cereals. Grainy. Straw. Husks. No hop profile or yeast character whatsoever. Zero depth of flavour. Intensity of flavour couldn't be lower. Flavour duration is low. Watery and imbalanced, but inoffensive. Some corn adjunct. Not getting any complexity or subtlety at all. I don't notice any overt off flavours, so that's a plus. About as bland and boring as a beer can be. Luckily, no alcohol comes through. Meh.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Weak, thin, watery. Poor execution. Suits the flavour profile okay; I mean at least I can get the beer down easily enough. It doesn't have the crisp, biting overcarbonation of even worse beers in the style, but it's overcarbonated.

Dr: Closer to water than any macro I can remember having recently. As such, it's got an above average drinkability in that you could down a pitcher with ease, but the lack of quality makes me not want to get another anytime soon - so that evens it out. Bland swill that hardly resembles real beer, but not offensive or awful. I think some are really attacking this beer just because of the brewery. Pretty poor stuff, but it's not terrible. I'd rather see this at a party than something like Tecate, for example. You could do far worse (or far better) at this price.

D-

***
07/12/17: nabbed a 25 fl oz can for $1.50 USD at a bodega in Brooklyn, NY. I'm trying this alongside Crazy Stallion and King Cobra malt liquor to give it a fair shake in terms of a side by side with other "budget beers" (to apply a polite term).

It appears exactly as expected - clear pale yellow in colour, weak and thin, with an off-white cap that has a poor consistency and subpar complexion. Obviously filtered, but attractively light, evoking a drinkable albeit innocuous brew.

Aroma is a little grainy with some corn adjunct and a blip of grassy hop character. Light and inoffensive. I find no off-flavour and it doesn't seem syrupy, which is more than I can say about many beers offered at this price in the U.S.A. regardless of style. Not unpleasant, but quite timid/light in terms of aromatic intensity.

A bit more bitter than expected, which is to say it isn't cloying. Corn adjunct, mineral-emphatic water, some graininess, 6-row. Unbalanced but not imbalanced. No metallic off-flavour or other issues (e.g. booziness). Shallow and simple but inoffensive. I don't dislike it as much as I remembered.

Texture is pleasantly soft and approachable. Smooth, wet, even a bit refreshing - but still, it's somewhat stale. Certainly thin and bordering on watery. Finishes dry and coarse, scratching/dragging on the palate a bit. Light-bodied and overcarbonated, but tolerable. Not oily, hot, gushed, harsh, or astringent. Not boozy, watery (I mean, it's real close, but it doesn't quite cross the line), or syrupy like many beers at this price and/or in this style.

$1.50 USD is steep given this beer's low quality but more significantly the availability of malt liquors and blonde ales at higher ABVs for less per oz. As I navigate my homeless man's side-by-side, I do find I prefer this to King Cobra, but it's not a great adjunct lager nor is it a beer I'd recommend to anyone. Better than some of the adjunct lagers I've tried from craft breweries, and I'm dazzled the talented brewers at Anheuser-Busch can brew this on the scale they do with such consistency, but it's far from impressive. Innocuous and inoffensive with no egregious off-flavours. Very drinkable, to its credit. Judging it strictly to style without coming into it with a shitting-on-AB-InBev agenda, I think it's far better than I gave it credit for in my review above.

C- / BELOW AVERAGE