Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Shock Top Raspberry WheatShock Top Raspberry Wheat

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Raspberry Wheat delivers the same smooth taste of Shock Top, with a hint of raspberry flavor. This traditional Belgian-style wheat ale is brewed with essence of wild raspberry and hand-selected hops. It’s this combination that gives it its crisp and distinctive Shock Top taste, with its own flavorful twist. This unfiltered ale has a light-golden color and a smooth finish, and if you’re curious, it technically doesn’t, not count toward your daily fruit intake.

Added by zeff80 on 03-16-2011

Reviews: 161 | Ratings: 1,000
1.75/5  rDev -39.2%

My girlfriend wanted it, I think it wasted some space in my cooler. Very strong "raspberry" flavor, not bad if you like that. Reminded me of Leinie's berry Weiss

3.25/5  rDev +12.8%

Served at around 5C in a slightly oversized Belgium glass.
Appearance: Golden colour and very slightly cloudy. Thin white head.
Smell: Raspberry and that's about it.
Taste: Moderate, tasty, and lingering raspberry flavour. Some wheat can be detected, but not much. Definitely on the sweet side and no bite on the finish. Very drinkable and almost anybody would be able to finish a glass.
Body: Light-bodied.
Overall: Nothing complex and not at the top of its style, but it makes for a good summer beer that is drinkable for pretty much everybody.

2.85/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Take a Bud, pour in unsweetened raspberry Kool-Aid and you will have this beer. An ok beer to drink once in a while but not one of my favorites. I ended up giving away some of the 6 pack.

3.07/5  rDev +6.6%

One of the last Summer beer that I will try for this year.
The look of the beer is like the 1664 blanc or the Hoegaarden. You won't notice that is a Raspberry Beer...
Until you smell it. The smell is a definitely Raspberry,, and that's all about.
Now the taste. Well like the Lemon Shandy, it's all about the Raspberry flavour. But the lemon Shandy is about a touch of sour than the Raspberry is about that sweet touch. You won't really notice the taste of the wheat beer, it's more on the sweet side. On the finish it's not dry at all and the raspberry stay and don t give any space to the Belgium Wheat.
Overall, this is a great summer beer. That's why like the Lemon Shandy I will give a 3/5.
So would I recommend it ? Sure, this is different than those lime lemon high sugar beer thats on the market. And I think this is great beer for women too. For myself I wouldn't buy it all year long but during summer a pack of 12, once or twice, I will definitely go for it.

3.5/5  rDev +21.5%

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat is a surprisingly crisp, refreshing, and modestly-flavored wheat beer that could've easily been an insufferably sweet/tart brew. The brew fittingly compliments Belgian White and Honeycrisp Apple has pleasantly different options from mainstream breweries, and, again, bests Blue Moon.

2.29/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a bright red with an off white head that fizzes away quickly. The smell is all raspberry with little to no hop or wheat. The taste was similar with a very sugary finish. The mouthfeel was also off, too thick for a wheat in my opinion. I can understand why it's popular, it's just not for me.

3.24/5  rDev +12.5%

The aroma is awesome! Very fruity and strong raspberry smell. It almost bummed me out when I tasted it. A fruity beer with almost a sour character. I mean not terrible but not great. A amber color to it. The aroma pumped me up but as far as taste it fell short for me.

2.61/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Re-review 9/18/14.

Appearance (3.5) - Fluffy two finger head that recedes rapidly on top of a dense and bubbly dark apricot body.

Smell (3.5) - Raspberry sorbet. Nice smelling but incredibly one-noted. That's it.

Taste (2.5) - Raspberry seed, some sour wheat underneath. The finish is of tart raspberries. There's really not much else to say. It's tasty but after a few gulps I'm sick of it.

Mouthfeel (2) - Quite fizzy with a lot of bite.

Overall (2.75) : The smell is deceptively enticing. The taste is cloying, but isn't even the good kind of sweet. It's pretty rejecting. The sour wheat comes in full force and drives away the raspberry and forces you to swallow because you don't want it in your mouth anymore. This is a nice beer once in a great while...but honestly, I gave most of my six pack away to friends and family. One and I'm done. Maybe not even that. Try it, but don't buy a whole sixer, you may find yourself trying to pawn off the other five to your friends. "Here, try this...it's...interesting."

This is putrid. Absolutely disgusting. Like someone poured spoiled raspberry juice into a Shock Top. Seriously, I love regular Shock Top, but this is horrible.

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

2.32/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Color naranja, con cabeza que desaparece rapidamente sin dejar encaje, carbonatacion media, aroma completamente dominado por la frambuesa.

Sabor dulce, levemente citrico sin amargor pero con cierto grado de acides y dominado por el sabor frutal a frambuesa pero con un gusto artificial.

cuerpo ligero, facil de tomar y deja una sensacion acida en toda la boca.

1.4/5  rDev -51.4%

Can: Poured a light yellow color ale with a light bubbly head with average retention. Aroma of fake raspberry syrup is quite awful with quite a bit of residual sugars. This is closer to a cooler than beer. Taste is a mix between some grainy wheat malt notes with quite a bit of residual sugar and way too much of the awful raspberry syrup. Body is light with good carbonation. I wasn’t expecting some kind of masterpiece but what a bunch of crap this beer was.

2.44/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Decided to try while watching a game the other night at a local sports bar/restaurant, as they have a different beer on special every night. Wednesday was Shock Top Seasonal, which apparently means this one.

I was expecting some sweetness, both in smell and taste, but this was a little much. Color was slightly cloudy, light amber. If there was any head, it had receded by the time my waitress brought our drinks over. Immediately upon bringing it to your nose you're hit with that burst of raspberry, but it almost smells as if you're about to down a sugary cere was any head, it had receded by the time my waitress brought our drinks over. The taste was as the smell would bring you to expect; very sweet, almost no hop character at all. Mild wheat taste once the sharp sweetness passed.

Worth a try at least, if they're cheap. Definitely worth my $3 for a pint.

2.67/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

473 ml can served cold into a Keith's pint glass. Purchased from LCBO for something around $2.50 CDN. Was actually kind of curious to try this for some unknown reason.

Appearance - hazy golden color, with some pink and orange hues. Decent white head of about 2 fingers which dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell - faint artificial raspberry smell and not much else.

Taste - thin raspberry flavour, lots of sugary sweetness and not much else. Taste is thin and slight strange sour metallic mixture at the end.

Mouthfeel - fairly thin and soft feel, lowish carbonation and a bit flat.

Overall - mediocre beer, maybe worth a try if you're curious but there are a lot of better options out there. Pass.

3.08/5  rDev +6.9%

It's a very sweet and syrupy tasting beer not what I expected. Out of the shock top brews I've had; this one is probably my least favorite it wasn't the worst I've had but it most definitely the worst. It's a little to sweet for my liking it's not the last thing that i'd drink but Try it.

2.92/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This poured a thick bubbly but unfortunately quickly fleeting head. The color was a cloudy yet bright golden hue.

The aroma is a nice fruity but some what natural raspberry. Not too sweet but fragrant the raspberry doesn't give off a particularly artificial scent.

Unfortunately the flavor does give off an artificial flavoring as its weak but finishes harsh. The wheat body seems to ride straight through the palate and doesn't support this at all.

The feel is reasonably carbonated until the almost sour raspberry syrup takes hold at the finish. It almost makes me cringe.

I had my fingers crossed as I loved the Apple Crisp but the raspberry is just too fake and almost brash.

2.85/5  rDev -1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: reddish-yellow

S: raspberry fruity smell is overpowering

T: and I thought the smell was overpowering, until I actually tasted it

M: eh.

O: tastes like watered-down raspberry-flavored cider, no real beer flavor at all even though it's labeled wheat. Not offensive to drink but I'm really not a cider fan.

1.41/5  rDev -51%

I bought this as part of a variety case of Shock Top wheat beers (a choice I now regret). I did not notice that the beer is made in about seven cities in Canada and the US since it was displayed in the "Craft Beer" section of the liquor store. What a joke.

Poured from the bottle into a stemmed beer glass. An inch of white foam collapsed quickly to a little bit of lacing. Lots of carbonation. Faint raspberry smell. The taste is deeply artificial, sickly sweet, cloying, and unpleasant. The raspberry flavour being used is clearly of a low quality and poorly matched with a wheat beer. The wheat beer aspects are totally opaque because of the intense raspberry, so it doesn't even taste like beer, per se.

In disbelief I shared the beer with a family member, who was similarly disgusted and commented on the cloying, syrupy taste and mouth feel. Frankly, the taste is so unpleasant and the carbonation so blunt that it is hard to tell whether the underlying mouth feel is pleasant or not. It is extremely one-note and borders on both British "alco-pops" and children's cough syrup.

I will be attempting to give the remainder of the case away to friends who "don't really like beer that much" but love Granville Island's raspberry offering (an example of this style done fairly well, although it is barely beer). I will also avoid Shock Top in the future. Disgusting.

1.37/5  rDev -52.4%

Ooof, that's awful. Nothing to recommend this one at all. Artificial in character. Sticky sweet. Doughy mouthfeel. Unnatural tasting finish. Shock Top orange is at least drinkable. This is not. Actively unpleasant. Feh.

YuckYuckYuckYuck.

Update: It is my understanding that the morons at Anheuser-Busch are considering marketing this dreck here in Canada as craft beer. Lie to us some more. We love it. Jerks.

2.97/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

473 mL can picked up at TBS, served slightly chilled.

Pours a cloudy golden-yellow colour, topped with two fingers of puffy, soapy white head that recedes quickly over the next sixty seconds or so. The aroma is pleasant enough, with notes of raspberry, pale wheat malt and honey.

The flavour is much of the same - quite sweet, with notes of sugar followed by raspberry and red Kool-Aid. Vaguely wheaty malt sweetness, but the flavour is overwhelmingly artificial, with the raspberry and sugary sweetness lingering into the aftertaste for quite awhile. Light-bodied, with moderate carbonation that provides a little less bite than I'd prefer from this type of brew.

Final Grade: 2.97, a C. Shock Top's Raspberry Wheat isn't exactly gross, but it has very few beer-like properties, and for that reason I can't reward it with a decent grade. Ontario residents with a craving for raspberry beer will be better satisfied with Amsterdam's KLB Raspberry, or (even better) the St. Ambroise Framboise, but this is a fairly inoffensive macro substitute that I might consider purchasing again.

2.25/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Had this in an outlet mall bar with my wife, while she was on a shopping break. Light amber color, small head with no real lacing. Head disappeared fast. Smell was fragrant and strong of raspberries - taste was similar, but less fruity. More along my wife's taste than mine, but choices were limited...

3.36/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Sampled last night on 1/17/14. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a brandy snifter.

Pours a hazy gold in color with a good 1+-finger fizzy white head that faded down fast to just a thin layer. Decent amount of lacing was seen with each sip. Average amount of bubbles streaming from the bottom and sides of the glass, so pretty middle of the line carbonation. The aroma hits you right of front which of course in raspberries with a hint of grains. The taste is of the same with lots of raspberries, with a sweet but tart finish. Overall, not really bad like you might think and is a good summer/autumn brew.

3.96/5  rDev +37.5%

A-hazy gold color with a large white head that faded quickly; but leaves some lacing
S-strong raspberry smell is all I smell
T- sweet raspberry taste that changes to a tart raspberry aftertaste that turns back sweeter in the finish
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-this was a great mass produced beer that has a great price. I wonder why so many here are anti AB? This is a great beer

3.05/5  rDev +5.9%

This one is about medium gold and hazy. It shows some effervescence, which aids to build up a large-bubbled white head so that it actually manages a little more than a finger. Retention is pretty poor, though, so it drops quickly. It does, however, leave decent spotting.
Sure, the raspberries have an almost candied or sugared quality, but there is even a little tartness that makes me think it may be natural. It smells that way, at least, and that's what matters. Aside from that, the raspberry is up front and it's the focus, which is also key to a fruit beer. Malts don't throw down an extremely strong foundation, but the wheat does give something to it.
In the flavor, there's something in the back end that the aroma doesn't give off, and there it's got something of an artificial, almost chemical quality to it. It's not strong enough to ruin it, and overall this is one of the better Shock Top varieties I've had.
The attempt at crispness is a little too strong in this beer, coming off too prickly and way too spritzy, though it is at least lively. It takes away from any smoothness the beer might be attempting to convey.

1.48/5  rDev -48.6%

When dispensed, it had a nice head. It poured and remained cloudy so I was expecting a smooth body and mouth feel. When i brought the glass toward my mouth, it had an overwhelming odor of berries. Not pleasant. I sipped it and the flavor was reminiscent of cough syrup. The body was thin and disappointing. I could not finish it.

When I drink a beer with flavorings, I like it to be subtle. The flavors should meld together and act as a whole. This beer is not balanced and does not hit the mark.

3.92/5  rDev +36.1%

I find it Amusing how some reviewers give this Beer such a Low Rating,because they start out by stating that "Fruit Beers" are not really their thing~then proceed to slag this Beer to no end,saying things like "too sweet and way too much Raspberry flavor"..Derp! what do you expect guys? Raspberries are Sweet..very Sweet,and if you brew a beer with them,the beer is most certianly going to have a sweet edge to it,I also find that there are a lot of folks who take gr8 pleasure in bashing ANY "Shock Top" Beer..Maybe because of the whole Anheuser-Busch Thing,and the fact that some people feel AB is trying to pull a fast one by Marketing Shock Top as a Small Micro Brewery and not the Gigantic Huge Company it actually is...but I really do not care about that,because to me,a Good Beer is a Good Beer,no matter if it is brewed in small batches by a few dedicated bunch of hard working individuals,or
cranked out in massive Amounts by Computer controlled mega Breweries,I Have had Fantastic and just plain Crappy brews by both systems;)
It's actually quite simple,if you enjoy Fruit Beers,and do not want to pay 15 bucks a 6er,Shock Top has some very good ones [Honey Crisp Apple wheat being my favorite] I also enjoy this Raspberry wheat a gr8 deal~what I do not understand,is why so many people who do not like Fruit beers feel the need to slag both of these brews,I Understand that these are not your traditional type brews,and some people just do not want fruit in their beer..I Get that! but perhaps if you are one of these folks who want their beer with NO Fruit,and just do not like Fruit Beers period...maybe stick to reviewing the type of beers you enjoy and not bash a brew you know right off the bat you will not like..just a thought guys;)
anyway,Shock Top Raspberry wheat is a very decent Fruit Beer,not quite as good as their Honey Crisp Apple Wheat..but still very,Very Nice Indeed! but I have to admit,the Honey Crisp Apple Wheat is just Amazing! and pretty much my favorite Fruit Beer ever~Cheers&Peace2All.

Shock Top Raspberry Wheat from Anheuser-Busch