Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat

From:
Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
Shock Top Pumpkin WheatShock Top Pumpkin Wheat
Notes: Our Pumpkin Wheat seasonal offering combines the smooth taste of Shock Top with the flavors of Fall. We start with a traditional Belgian-style wheat ale and then brew with ripe pumpkins and a variety of autumnal spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, for a refreshingly smooth beer that fully captures all the flavors of fall.
Reviews: 231 | Ratings: 1,208 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by kneeland:
3.81/5  rDev +24.1%

My first new pumpkin beer of the year. I love October (because of pumpkin flavored beers). This is definitely not the best pumpkin beer I've tried, but it's still a very good beer. If you like Shock Top's wheat, you want to try this.

The appearance was really great. A beautiful color, but the head was a thin lace that barely stuck around.

I can't promise I'll buy another 6 pack, mostly due to price and wanting to try new things.

1.65/5  rDev -46.3%

Look: Kind of a dull orange. Like some tree leaves on a cloudy dayat the end of Autumn just before a strong winterish wind blows them to the ground.
Smell: Similar to a frozen pumpkin pie before it is baked. Not necessarily appetizing.
Taste: Horrid is probably the most accurate single word to describe it. I should maybe qualify this by saying I purchased this do to a coupon offer and generally do not care for "flavored" beers. But I have been known to enjoy an occasional night of various Leinenkugel's. And there are several wheat beers I can enjoy. However, this Shock Top was at once too bland, too sweet and just too off from what I consider to be palatable.
Feel: Felt like I was drinking carbonated melted root beer barrel hard candies.
Overall: I'd rather drink Jack Daniels from a Jack-O-Lantern.
This is the only beer I have ever drain poured an entire six pack, minus the 8 oz's or so I was able to down from the first bottle. Would not ever consider drinking this again. Would not ever give this to a friend. Would not ever give this to someone I did not want to be my friend. Would not ever give this to a desperate beer-a-holic.

4.14/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Unfiltered, very cloudy, dark amber with a small white head. Aroma is subdued but pleasant. Better than last year. There is not a lot of pumpkin or spices here, but there is a nice yeasty, malty flavor, similar to a good German dunkelweizen. Very sessionable like many of the Shock Top varieties. Personally, I find the low level of spices a good thing. Considering the value price, this is an excellent pumpkin, on a par with UFO.

I found this pumpkin-wheat so enjoyable and easy drinking I picked up a couple cases to help me through the winter. At first everyone in my family condemned it as another AB beer, but I noticed it was disappearing faster than all the other brews in my beer fridge. Seems it is one of those beers that people like to hate but like to drink.

Finished the two cases this winter and went through a third thanks to my local Wegman's who kept it in stock. The low reviews for this great American made beer are perplexing to me as a senior beer drinker. Been a huge fan of Bud Light from 1984 to 1992,and am happy AB has stayed in the game. They do need to update the label though, maybe just AB Pumpkin Wheat.

4.33/5  rDev +41%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

You taste the pumpkin right away. Just as the name says, it tastes like pumpkin and wheat. Pours amber-copper with a medium, disappearing head. Mild IBU and carbonation. A very enjoyable and fun beer.

2.16/5  rDev -29.6%

Very blah, not something I would seek out with better alternatives nearby. A less than average seasonal that I didn't enjoy as much as I hoped I would.

3.44/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I'm not really big on pumpkin beers.
I got this on an end of season discount clearance.
Wasn't expecting much coz after all, this is Shock Top.
Have to say it's much better than I expected it to be.
Some decent flavors. Whether they're real beer flavors or added flavorings - I'm not sure.
But it goes down pretty nicely.
Cheers

1.02/5  rDev -66.8%

This is the worst beer I have ever tasted. It's disgusting. It's flat, morbid, has no distinct flavor. There's a hint of clove, which just makes it taste even more heinous. I took it to a couple of different friends places and I thought they were going to kill me.

If you watch "The Walking Dead", there was a scene where was this fat, bald zombie is stuck in a well. They tried to pull him out but he ripped in half and all his zombie guts wound up back in the well.

Well, I imagine the water in that well is basically what is used to make this beer. I have had good pumpkin beer before, but not this. You do not even taste the pumpkin. It's almost like someone dropped a cigarette butt in your bottle.

1.65/5  rDev -46.3%

THE LABEL IS A MARKETING TACTIC! LOOKS COOL, MAKES ME FEEL AS IF I AM COOLER (THAN AN ORDINARY DAY OF COOLNESS) WHEN I HAVE ONE IN MY HAND. I ASKED MY WIFE TO GET ME A 12 PACK OF SHIPYARD PUMPKINHEAD...LIQUOR STORE WAS OUT OF STOCK SO SHE SUBSTITUTED SHOCK TOP. I YELLED, "NO SUBSTITUTIONS!" HERES MY OPINION: AROMA---POPPED THE TOP AND WATCHED THE DRAGON TAIL-LIKE FOG HOVERING IN-BETWEEN THE AIR AND LIQUID, SPIRALING INTO NON-EXISTENCE. THE LABEL READS "PUMPKINS AND A VARIETY AUTUMNAL SPICES" WHICH RAISED MY EXPECTATIONS; MY EXPECTATIONS WERE UNMET. TYPE IN "AROMA" IN GOOGLE AND SHOCK TOP WILL NOT BE NUMBER 1. NOR WILL IT BE 2, 3 OR 4...YOU SEE WHERE I AM GOING WITH THIS. THIS BEER LACKS A DISTINCT AROMA. CINNAMON, PUMPKIN (SOMETHING REDNECKS DO DURING HALLOWEEN) AND NUTMEG HAVE A STRONG AROMA. I COOK QUITE A BIT AND HAVE USED ALL THREE. I FEEL AS IF THE FOLKS AT AH-BUSH DID NOT USE ANY OF THE THREE. AND YES, I DID FOLLOW THE POURING INSTRUCTIONS ON THE NECK. APPEARANCE--- LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER BUD PRODUCT. LETS INNOVATE FOLKS. TASTE---MEDIUM BITTER AFTER TASTE, LIGHT TO START. NO SHOCK-TOP. BING "TASTE" AND YOU MAY GET SHOCK TOP AS A RESULT BECAUSE BING SUCKS. PALATE---LIGHT BODY, THIN POLAND SPRINGS LIKE TEXTURE, DIET COKE FIZZ, SLIGHT BITTER FINISH LEAVING YOU TO CRAVE FOR SOMETHING ELSE. CLOSE TO FINISHING THE BOTTLE, I SWALLOW AND MAKE A FACE (TO MYSELF) ; A CONTORTED, JUST SMELLED A DEAD BODY KINDA FACE. AND FOLKS, DONT LET THIS BEER GET WARM...NASTY. THE LAST SWIG IS RESERVED FOR THE RECYCLING RATS AT THE REDEMPTION CENTER

3.08/5  rDev +0.3%

16oz pint in decidedly autumnal urban sprawled Detroit, at the local Buffalo Wild Wings.

This beer appears a slightly cloudy, medium copper amber colour, with one finger of tightly foamy, and somewhat soapy off-white head, which isn't long for this world, and leaves a few wayward streaks of coral reef atoll lace around the glass in this reviewer's hand.

It smells of vegetal pumpkin flesh, tame semi-sweet caramel, a twinge of grainy wheat, and surprisingly spicy ginger bread notes. The taste is moderately sweet caramelized wheat malt, sort of tart pumpkin mash, still peppy ginger, pepper, and cinnamon spice, and a bit of awkwardly astringent, weedy hop dryness.

The carbonation is pretty average, just an underdeveloped fizziness throughout, the body a wan middleweight, and generally unaccosted in its smoothness. It finishes with some sturdy lingering pumpkin, bland wheatiness, and fading seasonal spices.

An all right pumpkin beer, I suppose, nothing offensive, just a little too, well, Shock Top-tasting. Went well enough with the start of my re-acquaintance with Americana (mid-west style) - hockey and hot wings.

4.5/5  rDev +46.6%

3.25/5  rDev +5.9%

3.5/5  rDev +14%

3.48/5  rDev +13.4%

3.56/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a mostly clear burnt orange in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass along the edges and a faint amount of golden amber highlights. The beer has a finger tall fizzy light tan head that quickly reduces to a small patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and clove with some light notes of pumpkin + sweet malts.

T: Upfront there are light to moderate flavors of sweet grainy malts with some light flavors of pumpkin. That is followed by moderate to strong flavors of pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and clove) that linger through the finish.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Light notes of dryness in the finish from the spices.

O: Not a horrible offering from Shock Top which I had kind of expected, so I guess you could say that this one exceed expectations. Fairly easy to drink with a nice blend of pumpkin pie spices dominating without being too sweet.

3.33/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. This pours a slightly hazy orangish color with a short lived white head. Smells mostly of pumpkin, spices and maybe a hint of wheat. Feel is medium to light with decent carbonation. The taste is pretty light, a little pumpkin and spice, kinda sweet, its okay but weaker than most of the pumpkin beers (but far better than the buffalo one).

2.8/5  rDev -8.8%

3.24/5  rDev +5.5%

2.52/5  rDev -17.9%

This seasonal macro-posing-as-craft-beer pours a cloudy copper, with an average head and very little lace.

Smells of pumpkin, rather than spice. Not bad so far. But the worst is yet to come!

The flavor is metallic, with a weird artificial-tasting pumpkin-spice mix. To boot, this one's watery and thin-bodied. There's something missing here. Avoid!

3.5/5  rDev +14%

3.6/5  rDev +17.3%

3.11/5  rDev +1.3%

Served @ 40F in a pint glass.

A cloudy, orange beer with an off-white head that disappeared quickly. Aroma of wheat, spices. Taste of grain, spices, with a warming faint sweetness from the pumpkin. Not terribly complex, and with a slightly rough finish. Moderate carbonation.

The words "Anheuser-Busch" are nowhere on the label. Clever.

Pumpkin in a wheat beer actually seems like a pretty good idea. I'm surprised there aren't more examples.

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat from Anheuser-Busch