Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Our Pumpkin Wheat seasonal offering combines the smooth taste of Shock Top with the flavors of Fall. We start with a traditional Belgian-style wheat ale and then brew with ripe pumpkins and a variety of autumnal spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, for a refreshingly smooth beer that fully captures all the flavors of fall.

Added by BeerVikingSailor on 08-24-2011

Reviews: 228 | Ratings: 1,198

I have been drinking beer for 25 years and not once have I been so offended by the taste and smell of any beer. I realize not every beer is for everyone but can not believe people appreciate this. My wife and I stopped at a bar and took a chance on it. I took one sip and almost threw up she drank 4 oz of it and about threw up herself. We left the bar. Called it a $8 loss. Just minutes later she did vomit her lunch up and it had to leave a better aftertaste then the beer. Reminds me of the ripe sweet smell a terminal cancer patient has combined with a curry like smell. I'm sure some would argue it requires developing a taste for it. There are people that squire a taste for piss keep in mind. I refused to kiss my wife for hours there after as nothing would get the horrid smell off her breath including deep tooth brushing. Other beer etc. If you truely hate someone buy them a bottle of this nastiness. Or better yet dump one in their car. I would take down a gallon of toilet water any day over another sip of shock top. It is that nasty. Capable of making 2 out 2 people almost vomit. One really vomiting. May the bar tender who suggested this die a slow painful death of a std.

2.41/5  rDev -23.7%

11/22/2012
Pumpkin, Allspice, Cloves, Nutmeg,Cloudy Orange, with a small head.Crisp Flavor, a tad sour, but not as bad as the Sam Winter Lager that preceded.A bit pasty, but light and drinkable.Festive and sweet; so nice for Thanksgiving. Wouldn't want one outside of the holiday "spirit".

3.53/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 9/28/2015. Pours hazy deep orange/copper color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, coriander, orange peel, pear, apple, pepper, wheat, biscuit, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of fruity/earthy yeast, pumpkin/spices, and bready malt notes; with good strength. Taste of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, coriander, orange peel, pear, apple, pepper, wheat, biscuit, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Light herbal bitterness/yeast spiciness on the finish; with lingering notes of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, wheat,biscuit, and herbal/yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Good robustness and complexity of fruity/earthy yeast, pumpkin/spices, and bready malt flavors; with a nice malt/yeast/spiciness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately creamy/bready, and slightly sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 5.1%. Overall this is a good pumpkin witbier style. All around good robustness, complexity, and balance of fruity/earthy yeast, pumpkin/spices, and bready malt flavors; and very smooth and easy to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.17/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

From the reduced price closeout bottle, it pours orangey amber with a small head, quickly dissipating. definite nose of pumpkin--I can't wait! Some pumpkin in the mouth, nothing overwhelming, and a watery mouthfeel.

3.27/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat has a thick, frothy, off-white head, a mostly clear, bubbly, gold-orange appearance, which gets a descending, gray cloud, once the caked sediment is swished loose and poured in. No lacing left behind. The aroma is of spiced pumpkin bread and spiced candle. Taste is of pumpkin pulp, subdued spices, white wheat bread, and just a touch of bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium and soft, and Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat finishes on the dry side.

RJT

3.12/5  rDev -1.3%

On a pumpkin ale taste test, I had to try it. The "wheat" characteristic immediately told me it would be a little blander and lighter than other pumpkin ales. Pours a burnt sienna orange, not a lot of smell, not a lot of taste either. I taste the pumpkin spices because I expect them. Some orange juice and banana flavor too. High carbonation, I'd enjoy this on a hot day as a thirst quencher.

1.99/5  rDev -37%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Pours a hazy, burnt amber color with what could only be described as an ephemeral head. Aroma smells of pumpkin, allspice, and a bit of caramel.

The taste sits on a foundation of watered down artificial caramel flavoring. I had to hesitate for several seconds before deciding whether to spit it out or proceed with the tasting. I decided to forge on in the name of discovery and perhaps set a firmer floor for my beer review distribution... There is a hint of pumpkin on the front end that morphs into something flagrantly objectionable toward the middle. I don’t even know how to describe it, but it’s a flavor that would likely be more at home in a bottle under the kitchen sink than in my fridge. Moldy bread with quarters also comes to mind. Some grain husk emerges in the finish, which I'm normally not keen on, but I must confess it's the most palatable and beer-like component of the taste. Moderate carbonation and a thin body make for a tepid cola mouthfeel.

I admittedly had low expectations for this beer, but Shock Top managed to exceed them most heinously. There are few brews that I would be less inclined to ever drink again--and that’s with most of the glass still full. There is simply nothing to be gained by trying this.

3.47/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

pours deep gold amber, with slight murky opacity. 1/2" pale head quickly dissipates.

very faint smell of citrus funk

light to medium-bodied, slightly smooth, but somewhat thin

slightly fruity aspect, hint of banana esther. and raisin, slightly citrus hoppy bitterness, but no traditional 'hops' bite. slightly biscuit.

Overall a mellow beer with the characteristic cloudy funkiness, and tasty, although not really spicey at all, or as the description would have it, a pumpkin flavor. For me, the fruity esther stood out, and was flavorful and refreshing. Under a different label, it'd be a great summer beer as well.

2.16/5  rDev -31.6%

It was Halloween. Sofia the First was trekking through round one at the mall and the leaves needed gathering. It had been a long work week and I was up on the idea of breaking the self-imposed "no booze" policy in order to live out the Autumnal-American ideal of pausing the fall clean-up with some spiced and hearty hooch. My phone fetched a largely positive lump of opinion from the obvious place along with a report of a slightly above average alcohol content. Thusly I picked up a dozen of these populist Missourian honor students.

Postage stamps, to me, have always possessed a soul-stroking sensibility. Envelopes too, for that matter, have long invited the caress of my eager tongue as I shrugged off the seemingly more important message that was to be tucked within. I sealed the envelope addressed to Anheuser-Busch knowing that a mistake had been made and briskly made my way out of the garage and toward the mailbox. Just then, I was struck by a dire thirst and was forced to uncap another. My letter had asked for a refund of a dozen minus one (which had been imbibed) but now I was halfway through another. Reluctant to try the limits of honesty, I kept the letter from the mailbox and continued drinking the beer.

It was then that I realized no mistake had been made. No, no.... Anheuser-Busch did not accidentally pour Budweiser into my ShockTop Pumpkin Wheat. Instead, it turns out that ShockTop Pumpkin Wheat just tastes like rice, corn and some other things that are neither pumpkin nor wheat.

When I question my palate, I relocate to my doorstep. That jack-o-lantern, which was never intended for consumption, humbly and effortlessly emits a sweet and roasted bouquet of sexual-grade pumpkin goodness.

ShockTop, which was carefully put together by a gang of masters, reeks of 'taint.

2.71/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle from Albertsons. Nothing special here, but not totally gross either. Just about as generic as you can get. At least it's not a pumpkin pie spice overload....

4.14/5  rDev +31%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Unfiltered, very cloudy, dark amber with a small white head. Aroma is subdued but pleasant. Better than last year. There is not a lot of pumpkin or spices here, but there is a nice yeasty, malty flavor, similar to a good German dunkelweizen. Very sessionable like many of the Shock Top varieties. Personally, I find the low level of spices a good thing. Considering the value price, this is an excellent pumpkin, on a par with UFO.

I found this pumpkin-wheat so enjoyable and easy drinking I picked up a couple cases to help me through the winter. At first everyone in my family condemned it as another AB beer, but I noticed it was disappearing faster than all the other brews in my beer fridge. Seems it is one of those beers that people like to hate but like to drink.

Finished the two cases this winter and went through a third thanks to my local Wegman's who kept it in stock. The low reviews for this great American made beer are perplexing to me as a senior beer drinker. Been a huge fan of Bud Light from 1984 to 1992,and am happy AB has stayed in the game. They do need to update the label though, maybe just AB Pumpkin Wheat.

2.16/5  rDev -31.6%

Very blah, not something I would seek out with better alternatives nearby. A less than average seasonal that I didn't enjoy as much as I hoped I would.

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I had this at a depressing Mohegan Sun bar prior to my annual visit to Frank Pepe's Pizzeria.

It looks and smells like a pumpkin beer, there is some subtle pumpkin spice flavor but really not a whole lot going on. Very thin body.

Nothing about this pumpkin ale stands out. Just overall lacking in flavor. Plenty of better options out there.

4.33/5  rDev +37%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

You taste the pumpkin right away. Just as the name says, it tastes like pumpkin and wheat. Pours amber-copper with a medium, disappearing head. Mild IBU and carbonation. A very enjoyable and fun beer.

2.18/5  rDev -31%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

It's a beer. Generic, not overly flavorful and clearly mass produced. The original shock top has its place during the summer, but should have passed on this one.

2.12/5  rDev -32.9%

I can't seem to notice any of the characteristics, that others have mentioned, other than that it pours a nice burnt orange color. It simply smells and tastes like beer to me. If you gave it to me blindfolded, I couldn't tell this was a pumpkin beer from a plain one. I love pumpkin pie. The smell and taste is my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner. That being said, I did not smell nor taste any pumpkin or spices in this beer. I could not taste anything beyond the traditional bitterness of hops.

1.65/5  rDev -47.8%

Look: Kind of a dull orange. Like some tree leaves on a cloudy dayat the end of Autumn just before a strong winterish wind blows them to the ground.
Smell: Similar to a frozen pumpkin pie before it is baked. Not necessarily appetizing.
Taste: Horrid is probably the most accurate single word to describe it. I should maybe qualify this by saying I purchased this do to a coupon offer and generally do not care for "flavored" beers. But I have been known to enjoy an occasional night of various Leinenkugel's. And there are several wheat beers I can enjoy. However, this Shock Top was at once too bland, too sweet and just too off from what I consider to be palatable.
Feel: Felt like I was drinking carbonated melted root beer barrel hard candies.
Overall: I'd rather drink Jack Daniels from a Jack-O-Lantern.
This is the only beer I have ever drain poured an entire six pack, minus the 8 oz's or so I was able to down from the first bottle. Would not ever consider drinking this again. Would not ever give this to a friend. Would not ever give this to someone I did not want to be my friend. Would not ever give this to a desperate beer-a-holic.

3.07/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

LOOK: Poured from a 12oz (bottled 19Aug15) into a pint glass. Pours with a half finger's worth of off-white foam that dissipates into a line within 15 seconds. Dull orange on color with a heavy amount of cloudiness. Rising bubbles are so scarce, that I can count them. Lacing is low and thin.
SMELL: Spice grenade: mild aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin meet with hints of cloves (I said grenade not bomb because the aromas are mild).
TASTE: Strong flavors of cinnamon combine with mild nutmeg and pumpkin flavors. Hints of cloves enter immediately after as the pumpkin flavors turn very strange and almost spoiled-like. After that unpleasant experience, strong flavors of pale malts (not exactly a great experience, either) enter as all previously flavors persist.
FEEL: Full-bodied and moderately carbonated. Goes down somewhat harsh. Actually, this feels nasty going down. It's thick, but not smooth nor creamy whatsoever. Didn't know a beer could feel this bad.
NOTE: This was pretty crappy. I don't understand. It smelt so good.... And oh, yeah... Where was the wheat???

3.58/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter. Amber hazy orange with an off white head. Smell was pleasantly spicy with pumpkin notes, cinnamon and nutmeg. Taste followed: heavy nutmeg and cinnamon but a decent malt balance and soft wheat feel. I think this is an underrated beer for the price/brand.

3.26/5  rDev +3.2%

I saw this in a pint sized can at my local corner store today and had to give it a try as I had never seen it before (or if I HAD, I didn't care to try it). This was the last one stocked and had a dent on the bottom and top of the can. Judging by the date on the bottom, this beer was made on 2/25/14.
Appearance: Poured this into my frozen pint mug as pictured in my profile picture. Has an attractive reddish pumpkin color. Very foamy at first pour but quickly subsides and left no lacing whatsoever by the time I finished. Decent carbonation.
Smell: Nothin' jumps out at you, but you can definitely smell the pumpkin and maybe if you have better senses than I do, some of the spices they used.. all on top of a regular Belgian White Shock Top beer.
Taste: I am kind of partial to pumpkin anything, but I think if you already like pumpkin but you hate cheap macro beers, the pumpkin saves this brew at the very least. Again, tastes just like the smell except the pumpkin and spices are a bit more defined.
Feel: Pretty carbonated but I personally like carbonation and have never found something to be "overcarbonated" as many people are saying in their reviews of this one.
Overall: I found this to be very drinkable. I wanted another one and was kind of sad that I wasn't able to buy two (this was the last one that was stocked). It's nothing amazing but for the price, this beer is worth it's weight in salt. I could drink this again. Can't say the same for any other brews from Shock Top. I've had them before and I find them too boring/girly to drink again.

3.21/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A very mild pumpkin ale, but not necessarily bad. Smells decent and tastes decent, but I'd much rather spend a couple extra bucks on the Schlafly pumpkin ale.

3.2/5  rDev +1.3%

It's one of those beers you buy thinking it's a craft brew, then find out it's made by Anheuser-Busch. You don't have to read that though, you can tell it's not a craft brew the moment it hits your lips. All-in-all, it's a decent beer. It's like drinking Miller High Life with a bit of pumpkin flavor mixed in and a general feel of over-carbonation.

Sum it up in a few words: I purchased it because I was in the mood for a pumpkin beer and the liquor store had no other options. Not unhappy, but not amazed.

3.44/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I'm not really big on pumpkin beers.
I got this on an end of season discount clearance.
Wasn't expecting much coz after all, this is Shock Top.
Have to say it's much better than I expected it to be.
Some decent flavors. Whether they're real beer flavors or added flavorings - I'm not sure.
But it goes down pretty nicely.
Cheers

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- The spice, pumpkin and malt are a great combo on the nose
Appearance - This beer has a really nice dark orange color with a small white head.
Taste – I consider this to be one of the top pumpkin beers (especially for the price)
Palate -This is a medium bodied beer with light carbonation.
Overall - For me, this is a great pumpkin beer for the price. I recommend it.

2.75/5  rDev -13%

Poured a clear orange body with abundant carbonation bubbles and no head. It looks like a poor, watery pumpkin ale. Scents of pumpkin, apple juice, sweet spices with an emphasis on nutmeg and cinnamon. Overall impression of aroma is of a very sweet, pumpkin forward aroma, too sweet with no real balance. Flavor begins sweet with notes of pumpkin, sweet spices with notes of cinnamon and nutmeg and medium-light apple cider. Middle is sweet with the same flavors continuing. Finish is sweet with notes of pumpkin and sweet spices, the same flavors continue. Aftertaste is sweet spices, nutmeg and cinnamon and some pumpkin. Overall impression of flavor is of a very sweet pumpkin ale without much balance. Mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation and a watery feel. Overall impression of mouthfeel is of an okay ale,easy to drink but note a witbier. Overall this is an okay ale. It is too sweet in aroma and flavor, the mouthfeel is easy to drink but not amazing. Nothing special and one of the weaker pumpkin beers.

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat from Anheuser-Busch