Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat | Anheuser-Busch

Shock Top Pumpkin WheatShock Top Pumpkin Wheat

Missouri, United States

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Our Pumpkin Wheat seasonal offering combines the smooth taste of Shock Top with the flavors of Fall. We start with a traditional Belgian-style wheat ale and then brew with ripe pumpkins and a variety of autumnal spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, for a refreshingly smooth beer that fully captures all the flavors of fall.

Added by BeerVikingSailor on 08-24-2011

Reviews: 229 | Ratings: 1,200
2.71/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle from Albertsons. Nothing special here, but not totally gross either. Just about as generic as you can get. At least it's not a pumpkin pie spice overload....

4.14/5  rDev +31%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Unfiltered, very cloudy, dark amber with a small white head. Aroma is subdued but pleasant. Better than last year. There is not a lot of pumpkin or spices here, but there is a nice yeasty, malty flavor, similar to a good German dunkelweizen. Very sessionable like many of the Shock Top varieties. Personally, I find the low level of spices a good thing. Considering the value price, this is an excellent pumpkin, on a par with UFO.

I found this pumpkin-wheat so enjoyable and easy drinking I picked up a couple cases to help me through the winter. At first everyone in my family condemned it as another AB beer, but I noticed it was disappearing faster than all the other brews in my beer fridge. Seems it is one of those beers that people like to hate but like to drink.

Finished the two cases this winter and went through a third thanks to my local Wegman's who kept it in stock. The low reviews for this great American made beer are perplexing to me as a senior beer drinker. Been a huge fan of Bud Light from 1984 to 1992,and am happy AB has stayed in the game. They do need to update the label though, maybe just AB Pumpkin Wheat.

2.16/5  rDev -31.6%

Very blah, not something I would seek out with better alternatives nearby. A less than average seasonal that I didn't enjoy as much as I hoped I would.

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I had this at a depressing Mohegan Sun bar prior to my annual visit to Frank Pepe's Pizzeria.

It looks and smells like a pumpkin beer, there is some subtle pumpkin spice flavor but really not a whole lot going on. Very thin body.

Nothing about this pumpkin ale stands out. Just overall lacking in flavor. Plenty of better options out there.

4.33/5  rDev +37%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

You taste the pumpkin right away. Just as the name says, it tastes like pumpkin and wheat. Pours amber-copper with a medium, disappearing head. Mild IBU and carbonation. A very enjoyable and fun beer.

2.18/5  rDev -31%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

It's a beer. Generic, not overly flavorful and clearly mass produced. The original shock top has its place during the summer, but should have passed on this one.

2.12/5  rDev -32.9%

I can't seem to notice any of the characteristics, that others have mentioned, other than that it pours a nice burnt orange color. It simply smells and tastes like beer to me. If you gave it to me blindfolded, I couldn't tell this was a pumpkin beer from a plain one. I love pumpkin pie. The smell and taste is my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner. That being said, I did not smell nor taste any pumpkin or spices in this beer. I could not taste anything beyond the traditional bitterness of hops.

1.65/5  rDev -47.8%

Look: Kind of a dull orange. Like some tree leaves on a cloudy dayat the end of Autumn just before a strong winterish wind blows them to the ground.
Smell: Similar to a frozen pumpkin pie before it is baked. Not necessarily appetizing.
Taste: Horrid is probably the most accurate single word to describe it. I should maybe qualify this by saying I purchased this do to a coupon offer and generally do not care for "flavored" beers. But I have been known to enjoy an occasional night of various Leinenkugel's. And there are several wheat beers I can enjoy. However, this Shock Top was at once too bland, too sweet and just too off from what I consider to be palatable.
Feel: Felt like I was drinking carbonated melted root beer barrel hard candies.
Overall: I'd rather drink Jack Daniels from a Jack-O-Lantern.
This is the only beer I have ever drain poured an entire six pack, minus the 8 oz's or so I was able to down from the first bottle. Would not ever consider drinking this again. Would not ever give this to a friend. Would not ever give this to someone I did not want to be my friend. Would not ever give this to a desperate beer-a-holic.

3.07/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

LOOK: Poured from a 12oz (bottled 19Aug15) into a pint glass. Pours with a half finger's worth of off-white foam that dissipates into a line within 15 seconds. Dull orange on color with a heavy amount of cloudiness. Rising bubbles are so scarce, that I can count them. Lacing is low and thin.
SMELL: Spice grenade: mild aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin meet with hints of cloves (I said grenade not bomb because the aromas are mild).
TASTE: Strong flavors of cinnamon combine with mild nutmeg and pumpkin flavors. Hints of cloves enter immediately after as the pumpkin flavors turn very strange and almost spoiled-like. After that unpleasant experience, strong flavors of pale malts (not exactly a great experience, either) enter as all previously flavors persist.
FEEL: Full-bodied and moderately carbonated. Goes down somewhat harsh. Actually, this feels nasty going down. It's thick, but not smooth nor creamy whatsoever. Didn't know a beer could feel this bad.
NOTE: This was pretty crappy. I don't understand. It smelt so good.... And oh, yeah... Where was the wheat???

3.58/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter. Amber hazy orange with an off white head. Smell was pleasantly spicy with pumpkin notes, cinnamon and nutmeg. Taste followed: heavy nutmeg and cinnamon but a decent malt balance and soft wheat feel. I think this is an underrated beer for the price/brand.

3.26/5  rDev +3.2%

I saw this in a pint sized can at my local corner store today and had to give it a try as I had never seen it before (or if I HAD, I didn't care to try it). This was the last one stocked and had a dent on the bottom and top of the can. Judging by the date on the bottom, this beer was made on 2/25/14.
Appearance: Poured this into my frozen pint mug as pictured in my profile picture. Has an attractive reddish pumpkin color. Very foamy at first pour but quickly subsides and left no lacing whatsoever by the time I finished. Decent carbonation.
Smell: Nothin' jumps out at you, but you can definitely smell the pumpkin and maybe if you have better senses than I do, some of the spices they used.. all on top of a regular Belgian White Shock Top beer.
Taste: I am kind of partial to pumpkin anything, but I think if you already like pumpkin but you hate cheap macro beers, the pumpkin saves this brew at the very least. Again, tastes just like the smell except the pumpkin and spices are a bit more defined.
Feel: Pretty carbonated but I personally like carbonation and have never found something to be "overcarbonated" as many people are saying in their reviews of this one.
Overall: I found this to be very drinkable. I wanted another one and was kind of sad that I wasn't able to buy two (this was the last one that was stocked). It's nothing amazing but for the price, this beer is worth it's weight in salt. I could drink this again. Can't say the same for any other brews from Shock Top. I've had them before and I find them too boring/girly to drink again.

3.21/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A very mild pumpkin ale, but not necessarily bad. Smells decent and tastes decent, but I'd much rather spend a couple extra bucks on the Schlafly pumpkin ale.

3.2/5  rDev +1.3%

It's one of those beers you buy thinking it's a craft brew, then find out it's made by Anheuser-Busch. You don't have to read that though, you can tell it's not a craft brew the moment it hits your lips. All-in-all, it's a decent beer. It's like drinking Miller High Life with a bit of pumpkin flavor mixed in and a general feel of over-carbonation.

Sum it up in a few words: I purchased it because I was in the mood for a pumpkin beer and the liquor store had no other options. Not unhappy, but not amazed.

3.44/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I'm not really big on pumpkin beers.
I got this on an end of season discount clearance.
Wasn't expecting much coz after all, this is Shock Top.
Have to say it's much better than I expected it to be.
Some decent flavors. Whether they're real beer flavors or added flavorings - I'm not sure.
But it goes down pretty nicely.

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- The spice, pumpkin and malt are a great combo on the nose
Appearance - This beer has a really nice dark orange color with a small white head.
Taste – I consider this to be one of the top pumpkin beers (especially for the price)
Palate -This is a medium bodied beer with light carbonation.
Overall - For me, this is a great pumpkin beer for the price. I recommend it.

2.75/5  rDev -13%

Poured a clear orange body with abundant carbonation bubbles and no head. It looks like a poor, watery pumpkin ale. Scents of pumpkin, apple juice, sweet spices with an emphasis on nutmeg and cinnamon. Overall impression of aroma is of a very sweet, pumpkin forward aroma, too sweet with no real balance. Flavor begins sweet with notes of pumpkin, sweet spices with notes of cinnamon and nutmeg and medium-light apple cider. Middle is sweet with the same flavors continuing. Finish is sweet with notes of pumpkin and sweet spices, the same flavors continue. Aftertaste is sweet spices, nutmeg and cinnamon and some pumpkin. Overall impression of flavor is of a very sweet pumpkin ale without much balance. Mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation and a watery feel. Overall impression of mouthfeel is of an okay ale,easy to drink but note a witbier. Overall this is an okay ale. It is too sweet in aroma and flavor, the mouthfeel is easy to drink but not amazing. Nothing special and one of the weaker pumpkin beers.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a slightly hazy orange body, with thick beige head. The head reduces to a thin film in no time at all! Relatively little aroma, a veggie squash scent. Taste is rather bland, bready, plain pumpkin, no spices. Meh!

1.75/5  rDev -44.6%

Sitting with someone who is drinking one, so figured I would do a quick review. Can't say I liked it much. The nose is weak, that of honey and pumpkin. It's almost sweet on an almost overpowering level, and funny enough, the pumpkin is now surprisingly absent. It just tastes like a sweet, honey flavored mess. The feel is that of a highly carbonated wheat ale.

Just no.

1.02/5  rDev -67.7%

This is the worst beer I have ever tasted. It's disgusting. It's flat, morbid, has no distinct flavor. There's a hint of clove, which just makes it taste even more heinous. I took it to a couple of different friends places and I thought they were going to kill me.

If you watch "The Walking Dead", there was a scene where was this fat, bald zombie is stuck in a well. They tried to pull him out but he ripped in half and all his zombie guts wound up back in the well.

Well, I imagine the water in that well is basically what is used to make this beer. I have had good pumpkin beer before, but not this. You do not even taste the pumpkin. It's almost like someone dropped a cigarette butt in your bottle.

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%

Good pumpkin beer for the price! I have noticed that many pumpkin beers were not around for long and are expensive this one you can get and it is cheaper! I hope it is around so I can have it at Thanksgiving! Better then the Coors blue moon. Lighter and more drinkable! I will often drink a more expensive pumpkin beer and then switch to this if it is a bon fire night!

Not the best pumpkin beer but not the worst I have had. The pumpkin spice flavor is mild and you clearly taste the wheat. I just don't know if I like pumpkin and wheat combined.

4.5/5  rDev +42.4%

Love this beer for the flavor and the price - not outrageous as many microbreweries on a seasonal beer.

I could drink this year around, as the pumpkin flavors are not overwhelming.

Appearance - Pours a rich orange/amber color, more to the light brown tint. In using a pint mug it had a nice head, about a finger high, and a nice amount of lacing. The lacing stays on the glass til the end.

Aroma - You can smell the spices upon opening the beer, low hop nose, lots of malty aroma with a bit of spice. Seriously, tastes as it smells, the aroma won't disappoint you.

Taste – Um, awesome. The taste follows the aroma - not as pumpkin in flavor as in smell – but that is more the spices you smell.

Mouthfeel - It is a medium body feel and seems lightly carbonated, seems like a good mix for the type of beer. Definitely not over carbonated as many American mass produced brews are these days.

Overall - This is a very nice beer for those loving a mild experience with reminiscence of pumpkin pie as a dessert. Definitely an enjoyable experience.

Serving type: Bottle poured into a glass – but straight out of the bottle is just fine.

3.79/5  rDev +19.9%

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat
16 oz. can, coded "14251 8E62"

Call me as fool, but I like the Pumpkin version of Shock Top better than the original! As it's "pumpkin" I doubt I'd drink it all year round, but then again, I might. I think the aroma is great, and that the spicing balances the malt and rounds it out nicely. Additionally, unlike many pumpkin beers that utilize too much cinnamon, that's not the case here and I can actually taste the nutmeg clearly. At the very least, in the realm of pumpkin beers, it's definitely more towards the top of the heap than the bottom.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: Very hazy orange-brown with a quick to fade off-white head.

Smell: Yeasty, pumpkin pie spices.

Taste: Pretty good. Like a spicy pumpkin pie, but not too overpowering. Plenty of yeast and wheat throughout.

Mouthfeel: Moderately thick and well carbonated.

Overall: Pretty good pumpkin beer, not that it’s my favorite style. Shock Top’s toned-down style works pretty well here, as I don’t want too much pumpkin in my beer.

2.63/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

The smell of the brew is a light smell as well as the taste for pumpkin beer. I felt there could be a stronger flavor and spice, but maybe that is why I am still okay with it. Also the can I have says the ABV is 5.1% not that it is much difference just found that interesting.

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat from Anheuser-Busch