Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat | Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Our Pumpkin Wheat seasonal offering combines the smooth taste of Shock Top with the flavors of Fall. We start with a traditional Belgian-style wheat ale and then brew with ripe pumpkins and a variety of autumnal spices, including nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, for a refreshingly smooth beer that fully captures all the flavors of fall.

Added by BeerVikingSailor on 08-24-2011

Ratings: 1,206 |  Reviews: 231
3.47/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

pours deep gold amber, with slight murky opacity. 1/2" pale head quickly dissipates.

very faint smell of citrus funk

light to medium-bodied, slightly smooth, but somewhat thin

slightly fruity aspect, hint of banana esther. and raisin, slightly citrus hoppy bitterness, but no traditional 'hops' bite. slightly biscuit.

Overall a mellow beer with the characteristic cloudy funkiness, and tasty, although not really spicey at all, or as the description would have it, a pumpkin flavor. For me, the fruity esther stood out, and was flavorful and refreshing. Under a different label, it'd be a great summer beer as well.

2.69/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.16/5  rDev -31.6%

It was Halloween. Sofia the First was trekking through round one at the mall and the leaves needed gathering. It had been a long work week and I was up on the idea of breaking the self-imposed "no booze" policy in order to live out the Autumnal-American ideal of pausing the fall clean-up with some spiced and hearty hooch. My phone fetched a largely positive lump of opinion from the obvious place along with a report of a slightly above average alcohol content. Thusly I picked up a dozen of these populist Missourian honor students.

Postage stamps, to me, have always possessed a soul-stroking sensibility. Envelopes too, for that matter, have long invited the caress of my eager tongue as I shrugged off the seemingly more important message that was to be tucked within. I sealed the envelope addressed to Anheuser-Busch knowing that a mistake had been made and briskly made my way out of the garage and toward the mailbox. Just then, I was struck by a dire thirst and was forced to uncap another. My letter had asked for a refund of a dozen minus one (which had been imbibed) but now I was halfway through another. Reluctant to try the limits of honesty, I kept the letter from the mailbox and continued drinking the beer.

It was then that I realized no mistake had been made. No, no.... Anheuser-Busch did not accidentally pour Budweiser into my ShockTop Pumpkin Wheat. Instead, it turns out that ShockTop Pumpkin Wheat just tastes like rice, corn and some other things that are neither pumpkin nor wheat.

When I question my palate, I relocate to my doorstep. That jack-o-lantern, which was never intended for consumption, humbly and effortlessly emits a sweet and roasted bouquet of sexual-grade pumpkin goodness.

ShockTop, which was carefully put together by a gang of masters, reeks of 'taint.

2.71/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle from Albertsons. Nothing special here, but not totally gross either. Just about as generic as you can get. At least it's not a pumpkin pie spice overload....

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%

3.22/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.93/5  rDev -7.3%

2.74/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.55/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.22/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.32/5  rDev +36.7%

4.14/5  rDev +31%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Unfiltered, very cloudy, dark amber with a small white head. Aroma is subdued but pleasant. Better than last year. There is not a lot of pumpkin or spices here, but there is a nice yeasty, malty flavor, similar to a good German dunkelweizen. Very sessionable like many of the Shock Top varieties. Personally, I find the low level of spices a good thing. Considering the value price, this is an excellent pumpkin, on a par with UFO.

I found this pumpkin-wheat so enjoyable and easy drinking I picked up a couple cases to help me through the winter. At first everyone in my family condemned it as another AB beer, but I noticed it was disappearing faster than all the other brews in my beer fridge. Seems it is one of those beers that people like to hate but like to drink.

Finished the two cases this winter and went through a third thanks to my local Wegman's who kept it in stock. The low reviews for this great American made beer are perplexing to me as a senior beer drinker. Been a huge fan of Bud Light from 1984 to 1992,and am happy AB has stayed in the game. They do need to update the label though, maybe just AB Pumpkin Wheat.

2.53/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.4/5  rDev -24.1%

This is a beer I don't get,why? It's called pumpkin wheat but yet I taste zero pumpkin taste and maybe just a hint of clove.

2.85/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.28/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.16/5  rDev -31.6%

Very blah, not something I would seek out with better alternatives nearby. A less than average seasonal that I didn't enjoy as much as I hoped I would.

2.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat from Anheuser-Busch