Michelob (Original Lager)
Anheuser-Busch

Michelob (Original Lager)Michelob (Original Lager)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Poor
Michelob (Original Lager)Michelob (Original Lager)
Notes: Michelob Original Lager is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.
View: Beers
Reviews: 398 | Ratings: 1,124 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Grillinchillinanspillin:
Grillinchillinanspillin

4.7/5  rDev +74.1%

Of all the brands I tasted, Michelob Original Lager stands head and shoulders above the rest. I was offered one at a cook out 20 years ago and it's been a favorite since. Something about the taste blends perfectly with grilled beef. I haven't found a beer yet that even equals it. I wish I could say the same for Ultra. I bought it once by accident and gave 11 bottles to a friend.

Apr 03, 2020
fizzy from Minnesota

4.3/5  rDev +59.3%

I don't know what it is with beer reviewers that keep saying "corn" this, and "corn" that. What is with the corn? This is a 2 row all malt beer. You may not care for it, but don't blame everything on corn!
There are some beers that benefit from the addition of some corn. Hey, I had a bottle of sorghum beer the other day and found it pretty good. I like beer, I don't like snobs who think that just because a beer tastes this way or that that it is somehow skunk water.

Jul 23, 2009
transitionbikes93 from Virginia

Definitely not what I thought it was gonna be. Since Budweiser and Busch are its siblings, I expected a beer very similar. And while I dont mind a Bud or Busch, this beer blew me away. A macro that tastes more like a high end beer than a macro.

Look-a nice deep gold, moderate carbonation, white fluffy head. One of the better looking macros

Smell-sweet, malty, grassy hops with a slightly floral hop

Taste-follows suit with the smell, sweet malts and a surprising amount of grassy hops with a tad bit of floral hops with a slightly sweet finish

Mouthfeel-moderate carbonation, smooth, drinkable, and extremely refreshing

Overall-for a beer in this class, its excellent. Sure, a Devils Backbone Vienna or Sam Adams Boston Lager is better. But for cheap beer, this is mind blowing. Will definitely buy again.

Oct 31, 2015
Squire from Mississippi

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

See, they can do it.

Michelob should be an all malt top of the line brew. There, I said it and I meant it. My words don't mean much in the great scheme of things but I feel better. Not a World class Lager but my pick of the Bud litter. All malt, more hops, texture and taste, doesn't reach German standards but certainly trumps AALs. I think I like it more in concept than execution because I leave it on the shelves. Still, I wish this brand success if for no other reason that might encourage others like it.

I prefer the cans.

Apr 16, 2016
SaltofOH from Ohio

3.59/5  rDev +33%

My inaugural BeerAdvocate review! I figured I'd pick the first beer I ever had.

Bottle 13320 (November 16th, 2013?) CFQ3, from a standard shaker glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep gold, totally clear, 1/2" head, fades to a lingering foam. LOTS of carbonation.

Aroma: Mild, slight "stale beer" smell, slightly adjuncty/grainy.

Taste: Decent maltiness; fairly sweet on arrival, stays sweet across mid-palate. Grainy. rich/thick. Slight hoppy bitterness at the end. Not what I would call a "clean" finish - it sticks with you a while.

Mouthfeel: Slick and extremely carbonated. Foamy. Mid-weight, not too heavy, but decidedly heavier than PBR or Budweiser.

Overall: Three things strike me: (1) It is pretty decent for what it is ($7.50/6-pack!); (2) it is not going to win any awards; and (3) it tastes exactly as I remember it as a youngster, taking a sip of Dad's. Beer snobs everywhere can flame on, but I like this casual and unpretentious beer. It is greater than the sum of its parts.

Mar 21, 2014
ChicagoJ from Illinois

3.04/5  rDev +12.6%

5/8/17 (Las Vegas, NV). 12 oz bottle, no pour, purchased at Casino Royale, the best $1 beer special on The Las Vegas Strip! Long standing special, Casino Royale is a great center strip casino to pop in for a bottle or two of Michelob. Clear blond, mild hops and malt aroma. Mild taste of malt and hops. Solid carbonation and mouth feel. Overall OK offering and hope the $1 bottles continue at Casino Royale for another 25 years!

May 28, 2017
Hackattack from Indiana

I am old enough to remember the times we (meaning my good old high school/college buddies) drank Budweiser as a staple session beer WAY before there was any great craft beers going in the U.S. Our special beer was Michelob... and then we'd go to the classic German or Danish imports for the big special occasions.

Jul 09, 2017
OldSchoolMike from North Carolina

3.83/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Love this beer. Loved it in the old, hourglass-shaped bottles, which used to be available in quarts, back in the day. Nothing exciting, but according to my 1993 standards, which I hold onto with tenacity, it is a classic that deserves respect.

Dec 13, 2017
Bocifius from Texas

3.62/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This was my grandfather's beer and the first beer I ever tasted. In the late 1980's it was top shelf American beer. I would say that it is still the best offering from Anheuser Bush. It is getting hard to find these days but is worth a try.

Aug 26, 2017
Mardukk from Ohio

3.14/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a golden color with almost no head or lacing.

The smell is malty, with a hint of grassy hops.

The taste is mostly malty a bit honey providing the sweetness with a small bit of grassy hops. High carbonation with a surprisingly heavy mouthfeel for the style. A residual slick sweetness is left in the mouth.

Overall a good pale lager that isn't going to win any awards for smoothness due to the high carbonation which contributes to a heavier than normal mouthfeel. Good mid to low priced pale lager. Not something I would drink too often but a bit better than many would expect.

Feb 05, 2016
DoctorRobert1969 from California

I always felt this was a bit underwhelming for a supposed premium beer. Just a bit bland really. Okay enuff I suppose but I wouldn't get jazzed about it.

Nov 26, 2017
RonaldTheriot from Louisiana

3.76/5  rDev +39.3%

Michelob has a thick, white head and a very clear, straw appearance. Carbonation is high. The aroma is quite faint, but a trace beer smell can be detected. A good barley-to-hops balance characterizes the taste, and there is a relatively higher hop bitterness than other regular beers, but no particular flavors shine through. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Michelob finishes crisp, clean, and refreshing. Although this is a good, solid beer, it does not quite justify its elevated price.

RJT

Oct 14, 2010
rowew from Colorado

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bowling pin bottle. Gold foil label, born on date. All malt. I like the return to the old style, and all malt - hopefully the beer is improved as well.

Appearance: Pale gold, crystal clear and a bit bubbly. Better than average head, a tiny bit of lacing.

Smell: Clean malt and just the faintest whiff of noble hops - but the aroma is barely there.

Taste: Clean and drinkable - certainly not complex or deep, but it does seem better than average for macro.

Overall impression: Still not a thrilling beer - but this one doesn't have the adjunct flavors of many macro offerings. I would put this a step above many other BMC offerings right now.

Apr 02, 2007

Jul 12, 2016
Vancer from Illinois

3.65/5  rDev +35.2%

All malt craft version.

12oz pry off top bottle pours a crystal clear straw yellow, with a bit of white head, even some lace rings to show off. Pretty good whiff of malt in the aroma, followed by a mostly malt quaff. No corn or grain aspect to it, just smooth lager malt, followed by a small hop bite in the finish.

A good pilsner, no standout qualities, just a easy drinking smooth sailer. I'll be happy to have another from my sixer, and if offered one.

Apr 09, 2009

3.5/5  rDev +29.6%

Nov 05, 2013
beersarang from California

2.39/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a slightly pleasant golden straw with a foamy white head that actually retains!!! Still a fizzy yellow beer though.

Smells like cooked veggies and some grain. Faint aroma of "hops?"

Tastes mildly grainy/metallic with virtually no hop presence and an aftertaste that is mildly astringent.

Thin bodied mouthfeel with adequate to overcarbonation.

Drinkability suffers from that grainy harshness with a touch of skunk or something. Gets worse as it goes down.

Apr 11, 2005

1.5/5  rDev -44.4%

Jul 20, 2014
JonnoWillsteed from England

2.35/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Sep 16, 2019