Michelob (Original Lager) | Anheuser-Busch

Read the review
Michelob (Original Lager)Michelob (Original Lager)

Missouri, United States

Style: American Pale Lager

Michelob Original Lager is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.

Added by Shiloh on 11-28-2001

Reviews: 364 | Ratings: 1,037
Reviews by LordChesterfield:
3.07/5  rDev +9.3%

I've been drinking this beer since I was 2 so the smell is deeply ingrained in my mind. It pours with an okay head, but this stuff is completely clear and shiny. I would prefer the chill hase be left in myself, without it the beer looks very strange. Dark yellow. Smells like your typical AB lager, full of grain of some kind probably rice and corn. God I've never seen a more translucent beer than this! Strange mouthfeel, once it gets beyond the front of my mouth it doesn't even have a mouthfeel. No real aftertaste to speak of. It's a little strange to spend so much time on a macro american lager, but for some reason the image of Bud with better ingredients seemed interesting, plus it was free. Michelob... As with Budweis, AB steals the name of another Czech town. This stuff is so boring and mediocre I had a hard time even finishing the bottle. I think budweiser might even be better.

4.3/5  rDev +53%

I don't know what it is with beer reviewers that keep saying "corn" this, and "corn" that. What is with the corn? This is a 2 row all malt beer. You may not care for it, but don't blame everything on corn!
There are some beers that benefit from the addition of some corn. Hey, I had a bottle of sorghum beer the other day and found it pretty good. I like beer, I don't like snobs who think that just because a beer tastes this way or that that it is somehow skunk water.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

See, they can do it.

Michelob should be an all malt top of the line brew. There, I said it and I meant it. My words don't mean much in the great scheme of things but I feel better. Not a World class Lager but my pick of the Bud litter. All malt, more hops, texture and taste, doesn't reach German standards but certainly trumps AALs. I think I like it more in concept than execution because I leave it on the shelves. Still, I wish this brand success if for no other reason that might encourage others like it.

I prefer the cans.

Definitely not what I thought it was gonna be. Since Budweiser and Busch are its siblings, I expected a beer very similar. And while I dont mind a Bud or Busch, this beer blew me away. A macro that tastes more like a high end beer than a macro.

Look-a nice deep gold, moderate carbonation, white fluffy head. One of the better looking macros

Smell-sweet, malty, grassy hops with a slightly floral hop

Taste-follows suit with the smell, sweet malts and a surprising amount of grassy hops with a tad bit of floral hops with a slightly sweet finish

Mouthfeel-moderate carbonation, smooth, drinkable, and extremely refreshing

Overall-for a beer in this class, its excellent. Sure, a Devils Backbone Vienna or Sam Adams Boston Lager is better. But for cheap beer, this is mind blowing. Will definitely buy again.

3.59/5  rDev +27.8%

My inaugural BeerAdvocate review! I figured I'd pick the first beer I ever had.

Bottle 13320 (November 16th, 2013?) CFQ3, from a standard shaker glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep gold, totally clear, 1/2" head, fades to a lingering foam. LOTS of carbonation.

Aroma: Mild, slight "stale beer" smell, slightly adjuncty/grainy.

Taste: Decent maltiness; fairly sweet on arrival, stays sweet across mid-palate. Grainy. rich/thick. Slight hoppy bitterness at the end. Not what I would call a "clean" finish - it sticks with you a while.

Mouthfeel: Slick and extremely carbonated. Foamy. Mid-weight, not too heavy, but decidedly heavier than PBR or Budweiser.

Overall: Three things strike me: (1) It is pretty decent for what it is ($7.50/6-pack!); (2) it is not going to win any awards; and (3) it tastes exactly as I remember it as a youngster, taking a sip of Dad's. Beer snobs everywhere can flame on, but I like this casual and unpretentious beer. It is greater than the sum of its parts.

3.14/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a golden color with almost no head or lacing.

The smell is malty, with a hint of grassy hops.

The taste is mostly malty a bit honey providing the sweetness with a small bit of grassy hops. High carbonation with a surprisingly heavy mouthfeel for the style. A residual slick sweetness is left in the mouth.

Overall a good pale lager that isn't going to win any awards for smoothness due to the high carbonation which contributes to a heavier than normal mouthfeel. Good mid to low priced pale lager. Not something I would drink too often but a bit better than many would expect.

2.25/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%

Appearance – A heavier shade of yellow than most of the other macros. The head came up nicely then receded quickly, which is typical of the style.

Smell – Again, there’s a little more there than the other macros. There seems to be a mix of malts and hops along with a tinge of sweetness that may actually resemble a fruit of some kind (as opposed to candy like most of the other AB line).

Taste – Ouch. What the hell? It looks better than The King, smells better than The King, but tastes flat and uninspiring (worse than The King). Something was lost in the translation here. Some cheap sweetness was the highlight, but the malts failed to deliver and the banner at the top of the label should be changed from, “All Imported Hops,” to, “Exported All Hops.”

Mouthfeel – A little carbonation plays on the tongue, but the body is kind of flat overall.

Sinkability – The smellability was not bad, but I couldn’t see trying to get through a six-pack of this stuff.

Comments – Sorry to diss this one. I was well-intentioned at the onset after looking and sniffing, but I hate being lied to. I tossed this in the freezer for half an hour before tasting, too. How disappointing.

1.5/5  rDev -46.6%

3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

After a long-ass day at work I noticed a 12pk of this stuff on the shelf... caught my eye.

A- Nice looking lager style beer, light golden in color with highly bubbly head that falls to a small froth on the top of the beer. Very mild lacing makes this Mic good with me!

S- Touch of sweet corn upfront with a small note of grains and hop to finish.

T-M- Very impressive for what I call a Macro. Sweet corn, barley, with slight hop bitterness to finish. Nice mouthfeel, mild feel with a almost chewy bitter bite at the back of the throat. Leaves nice sweet flavor on the tongue.

D- Drinkablity is great and very refreshing for the style. Very recomended for a session. Kudos for Mic.

3.08/5  rDev +9.6%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine July 2007.

This conjures up memories of the late '70s, like sneak- ing peeks at Playboy and spotting those swanky Mich- elob ads. A man's man's beer! A beer for the men who have arrived! Of course, things are much different now, and lately, so is Michelob Lager. It's an all-malt lager now--no more adjuncts.

Sparkling clear with lots of bubbles racing to the top, all trying to hold together a thin white lace. Golden color is a shade darker than the old Michelob. Sweet dextrin malt aroma contrib-
utes to a thin, grainy and faintly herbal nose. Super-crisp right up front, wet and light-bodied, sort of feigning something more moderate. Immaculate malt flavor, refined but tasty. Quick prickle of hop bitterness that rolls with the grain and carbonation. Touch of clean herbal flavor, light dextrin chewiness, dropping a small dollop of sweetness on the palate. Clean, semi-dry, beery finish.

Interesting move to make this beer all-malt. Obviously a sign of the times, meaning most palates are tired of being dumbed down. Either way, not half bad--refreshingly clean and tasty. Pair it with a plate of Colombian-style steak soft tacos with rice and beans.

2.45/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A beer that was left over after a party and it reminded me why I do not buy this stuff. This stuff is Bud with a different name. Same straw color, nearly the same grainy smell only this one added a bit of malt in there. The taste was full of corn and was not smoothe and the mouthfeel was very thick and cloying. Not recommended.

1.33/5  rDev -52.7%

Bought this on special for $2.50 at the Silver Slipper Saloon. I can honestly say I've never tried Michelob before now...even in my college years. When the bartender handed me the bottle I noticed "All Imported Hops" written across the top. Hmmm..interesting I thought. Once I sat down and took my first swig I was utterly unimpressed. If there are indeed imported hops in this beer I sure as hell cannot taste them. Maybe they are imported from somewhere where the word "hops" references some sort of shitty cereal grain. I dunno. This had a slightly better flavor than the majority of the macro brews....but I would not drink this by choice ever again. The blatant marketing scam on the bottle is ridiculous and it pisses me off. Steer clear unless you enjoy crappy beer.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

3.45/5  rDev +22.8%

thid beer has a fairly thick taste, not what you would expect from anheiser. first tryed it with a coworker, wasnt expecting much but suprisingly it was pretty good. a thicker version of a cheap american beer. not nearly as good as some beers out there, but also better than a lot too.

1.5/5  rDev -46.6%

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

2.38/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours a very light golden color with lots of bubbles. Minimal head, no lacing really. Smells of light malts, nothing really standing out. Taste is also of light malts, a faint hop spiciness, not much really. It is what it is, although better than Bud or Coors, etc. Mouthfeel is very carbonated and watery. Very drinkable if you're not looking for much flavor and going to be out drinking all night long.

2.91/5  rDev +3.6%

12 oz brown bottle with a "Born On Date" freshness date on the label.

A- Sizable head off of a hard pouring, the head seems to stay around for a while. Bright straw hue shimmers in the light.

S- Not much off of the aroma, a little grain ... that is about it.

T&M- Thin maltiness, light body with a feigned dextrin mouth feel. Semi-crisp with an odd bitty slickness on the mouth. A trained hop bitterness barks out only a small yet balancing bite. Odd finish as it wanted to be sweet but it really ended up very dry.

D- Not a horrible premium American lager it missed its mark totally for any kind of substantial flavor. But that is what a macro-lager is right? It does not live up to its manly advertisements in Playboy back in the 1970's.

2.38/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Another disappointing beer from AB. It comes off as a "premium" beer, but is anything but that. It pours with almost no head. Smell is of adjuncts and grain. Taste has very little if any hop signature. Malt is present, but weak. Aftertaste is grainy and dry. I am sorry to say, I had trouble finishing this beer. It was if all the ingredients were played out before the brewing process began. Disappointed.

2.49/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

A: Very clear yellow golden color with some constant tiny carbonation rising to a small bright white head.
S: Light scent of clean grains, just a hint of sweetness, can't really make out any hops.
T: A very mild malt flavor with just a bit of cracker to it, hops provide a nice balance with just a touch of herbal zest. There is a very light but lingering twang of malt aftertaste that request another sip.
M: medium to light bodied, fairly smooth.
D: Overall a very decent macro lager that has a good balance and goes down with ease. It's good to see that it's all malt, but it could use a bit more character in my opinion. I would (and do) when the need arises go for this over Bud. Also, i really dig the lava lamp bottle , glad they brought it back!

Michelob (Original Lager) from Anheuser-Busch