Michelob (Original Lager) | Anheuser-Busch

Michelob (Original Lager)Michelob (Original Lager)
2.66/5
Poor
Michelob (Original Lager)Michelob (Original Lager)

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Michelob Original Lager is brewed with pale, kilned two-row barley malt and noble European hops.

Added by Shiloh on 11-28-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,074 |  Reviews: 375
3.01/5  rDev +13.2%

This is ok, but even though it's called an "all-malt lager," I don't see this as any better than it's supposedly lower-grade cousin, Budweiser, and if anything seems slightly more sharp and unpleasant.

Gold, it has a medium dense white head that lasts fairly well, slowly shrinking. It looks better than Budweiser, at least.

Aroma is a pleasant, but basic and simple, US lager aroma: sweet, flowery grain and hay.

Taste is pleasant with a lot of grain up front and some fizzy mineral water, sweetish with faint lemony hop. However, after the first sip it promptly loses much flavour, character, and body, becoming more watery and fizzy in taste and feel, and developing a slightly harsh, unpleasant mineral bitterness.

I would drink it again but I'd never buy it and there are many beers that are at least as good or better for less money.

2.02/5  rDev -24.1%

Not terrible, but not buying it again.

Appearance is really underwhelming. No head. Lots of carbonation. It's not see through, but it's pretty close. Orangish-yellow.

Smell? What smell? Nonexistent, basically. I guess I'll give it a two because at least it wasn't foul.

Taste is totally ordinary. Not repulsive, but watery, basically tasteless. Tastes, feels, and goes down like water. No aftertaste, so I spose you could have several if you wanted a beer with no flavor.

3.62/5  rDev +36.1%

A - Amber/golden, rather unremarkable, but not unappetizing.

S - Had a pleasant hoppy and sweet smell.

T - Nice light nutty flavor throughout with a slightly sweet flavor, although the more I drank of it it began to develop a bit of a burnt taste toward the end.

M - Low carbonation with a nice smooth taste, had this with beer battered veggies and it was a fantastic pairing.

D - Wouldn't mind drinking this again, not nearly as flavorful as some beers that I've had, but if I wanted a domestic to drink I'd probably choose this again.

3.65/5  rDev +37.2%

Stole a couple of these from pop so I could review without paying for it.

Poured with a pretty large, 3f white head, which dropped quickly and had no lacing. Clear yellow color, visible carbonation.

Smell was pleasant - some sweet corn, and just a touch of bitterness.

Flavor was alright for the style - mostly buttered veggies and sweet corn, without any harsh aftertaste.

Carbonation is done very well - not overblown like many macro lagers, quite smooth IMO.

I give it good marks overall on drinkability - one of those no brainer beers, that you could knock thru a few of without thinking about the complexities, likes, or dislikes.

2.88/5  rDev +8.3%

Pured from bottle into pilsner glass.

A-Clear golden yellow beer with a finger of short lived white foam. Fair amout of carbonation.

S-Not much there, slightly malty.

T-Average at best, I taste a slight sweet malt with just an echo of bitter.

M-Very watery and thin. No real after taste.

D-I know people who only drink this. I can only imagine that they aren't BA members.

4.48/5  rDev +68.4%

12 pack from the store, i havent drank it in a long time, this beer is probably the best domestic i have ever had. Really smooth taste almost sweet and after taste was very pleasant. pours a golden stream with a thick head. A very bubbly taste. I normally like a darker, a little more bolder taste, but hey, its only american beer, but not bad at all. I will buy this again.

4.3/5  rDev +61.7%

I don't know what it is with beer reviewers that keep saying "corn" this, and "corn" that. What is with the corn? This is a 2 row all malt beer. You may not care for it, but don't blame everything on corn!
There are some beers that benefit from the addition of some corn. Hey, I had a bottle of sorghum beer the other day and found it pretty good. I like beer, I don't like snobs who think that just because a beer tastes this way or that that it is somehow skunk water.

2.76/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear golden color with a small head that actually sticks around longer than expected.

Smell is really just corn but there's nothing off about it so its just kind of a neutral smell that you don't care about either way.

Taste reveals sweet malts and more corn. There actually is a slight bitterness in the finish.

Very light bodied with a lot of carbonation. So anyway, we're sitting by a friend's pool when he opens up an ice chest filled with nothing but Michelob. It was about 98 degrees out, I figured what the hell. On a hot day like that, a cold one of these went down like water just quick and easy. Whatever, it was better than the typical macro, take it for what its worth. I won't be buying these myself but I'm not beyond taking one that's offered to me in a social setting.

2.36/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Gold and clear with a very small head.

Smell: Not much going on here. Maybe the slightest malt smell, but not much.

Taste: It has a light bitter kick, but pretty smooth and fairly standard.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery. Not much to report here.

Drinkability: Frankly, I was expecting worse from this beer, but it's not bad. It's not great, but not awful.

3.76/5  rDev +41.4%

7/3/09, tasted @ Sala Thai bar. bottle>wheat glass.

Overall I was impressed for this brew as an "All Malt" offering for this style of American Pale Lager. I would give it a 4.0 on drinkability since it's pretty accesible and easy on the wallet. Better than most American Adjunct brews.

Appearance is a 4.0 as a clear golden straw color, okay 1 finger head & retention, hints of mild lace.
Smell is a 3.0 with a hint of corn on subtle malt aroma.
Taste is a 4.0 with a light malt base, followed with subtle sweetness on finish, a hint of sweet corn like presence.
MF is a 4.0, clean & crsip, medium body with medium+ carbonation.
D is a 4.0, as noted above. Reminds me a of a full malt Miller High Life, if you like the Champagne of beers, you should try this one...

1.96/5  rDev -26.3%

The packaging attracted me, the same way the US Army brochures convinced me to enlist. But the Army is a better deal.

While I believe AB's word that this is all-malt and features noble hops, the taste, slippery-acrid mouthfeel reveal only a maltier macro experience.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that brewing a decent lager or pilsner is determined by the water.

Germans and Czechs build the best lagers. Their water is limestone. So, maybe Pennsylvania or the Great Lakes region could craft a great pilsner, and Prima is a good drink, but not subtle enough to match the masters of the style.

3.1/5  rDev +16.5%

After a long-ass day at work I noticed a 12pk of this stuff on the shelf... caught my eye.

A- Nice looking lager style beer, light golden in color with highly bubbly head that falls to a small froth on the top of the beer. Very mild lacing makes this Mic good with me!

S- Touch of sweet corn upfront with a small note of grains and hop to finish.

T-M- Very impressive for what I call a Macro. Sweet corn, barley, with slight hop bitterness to finish. Nice mouthfeel, mild feel with a almost chewy bitter bite at the back of the throat. Leaves nice sweet flavor on the tongue.

D- Drinkablity is great and very refreshing for the style. Very recomended for a session. Kudos for Mic.

3.36/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

bought a six of this at the local grocer. twelve ounce bottle. pry off top. pours clear straw color. thin white head. some lacing. looks nice.

the usual suspects are there in the smell but not much depth. seems on the surface. no off odors.

crisp clean taste. sweet with some fruitiness. dry aftertaste.

mid-light body. good carbonation. not a bad beer.

3.4/5  rDev +27.8%

Michelob Original Lager is your standard American lager with a bit more malt and hop flavor than B, M, or C. The taste is definitely grainy with hints of corn and citrus. Slight hop bitterness and a dry aftertaste. Compared to the competitors in this arena, I would say this actually has some merit with regards to flavor. The other major brands, as mentioned previously, are too reliant on adjuncts and thus the flavor suffers. Michelob seems to be less adjunct reliant. Keyword here is "seems".

3.51/5  rDev +32%

Just poured from the bottle into a glass mug.

A- Surprisingly clear and golden with a white head that maintained with each moutful.

S- Smelled like most mainstream beers from AB. I guess I could say it does smell like a lager, but nothing really distinct. Slightly sweet corn smell.

T- Relatively enjoyable as I expected, I do occasionally enjoy a Michelob. Tastes like a lager. Some hops detectable, brew is slightly sweet with mild bitterness. Not an excessibly flavorful beer, but I think it's pretty solid for the price.

M- Not much to comment on, feels like most mainstream beers.

D- Good in my opinion. A solid beer that is very refreshing, goes down smooth.

Overall I'm happy with this beer. It's not the best I've ever had but it is slightly above average.

2.63/5  rDev -1.1%

I just found notes on this. It's just one some friends drink.

The color is a clear, deep yellow-amber. Head retention is fair and there's a little thin lacing.
There's a grassy, herbal aroma with some sweetness, but it's pretty weak.
The taste is light a pretty solid lager that's watered down then overly sweetened. It just does a bit too much that doesn't help the flavor.
The mouthfeel is a little flat and thin with some slickness.
I don't suppose there's any reason not to try it if nothing else is available.

3.85/5  rDev +44.7%

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten better reviews, it's a really solid beer. Good malt, good hops, good bitterness. I'd imagine that this is what beer in the United States tasted like at the turn of the last century. Now, admittedly, it is a little out of balance for my taste, but what do I know. I just think the kind of raspy, spicy hops are a bit much. I'd prefer them to be a bit more floral, but that's just me. And I can't fault it anywhere, really. It looks great, nice and clear and golden; and the frothy bright white head holds pretty well and leaves some decent lacing on the glass. I get some nice malt and hops out of the nose, and the same follow in the flavor. It's a Munich-style helles, and a pretty good one at that. I'll agree that it's maybe a bit fuller than some of the softer, sweeter versions out there now, but that doesn't mean that that's the style. If that was the case, who knows what Oktoberfests would taste like in a few years, they seemed to get a little bit more watered down every year. Good beer. I certainly like it a whole hell of a lot better than Yuengling Traditional Lager. Cheers!

3.38/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was served cold and in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beers body is a nearly golden yellowish coloration. Active fizzy bubbleing feeds the beers head. The head is biege and approximately an inch thick. Head retention is pretty good.

Smell: The beers aroma is of slightly toasted malt. This combines well with a floral grassy hop character. They actually put hops in this beer.

Taste: Toasted and caramel maltyness are definately in place. Lightly hopped grassy hops are tickling my palate. The beers taste is clear and clean.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is light but not watery. The carbonation is active and works well with the beer overall. The drinkability is pretty good over all. I could toss a few of these back as a lawnmower beer. Well done.

3.05/5  rDev +14.7%

A= darker yellow with a carbonated-fizz head.

S= Toasted Oats'n'Honey combined with Corn SugarPops and a whiff of something that seems like floral.

T= Overly sweet; lacking in hops, especially any sort of quality hops; toasted grains.

M= syrupy layer on tongue, slight flat bitterness.

D= anyone who actually enjoys this or is stuck at a party where it's the "best available" can make a night of it, I'm sure. I only bought it because I ran out of good stuff and at 01:00 the only thing open that sold beer was 7-11.

3.06/5  rDev +15%

$6.99 for a 6'er. Only 2 reviews for Michelob Lager? What's with that? Brewed with 2 row pale malt, hopped with Hallertau, Strissel spalt and a few other hops. 21 IBU. OG=12.9, 5.0% ABV.

Pours to a clear pale straw golden, forming a large white head which quickly recedes and leaves no lace. Moderate carbonation. The aroma is rather nondescript. I read the ingredients and thought I was getting a pilsner, but this smells like a domestic macro-brew like bud/miller/coors. No hop nose worth mentioning with that kinda sweet corn smell of a macro. Mouthfeel is light and clean with a watery, very light body. It tastes like "beer". There is a little suggestion of hops somewhere in the middle. Cleanly fermented. I couldn't pick this out from coors/bud/miller, although there isn't any bad aftertastes like one sometimes gets in a domestic macro. The finish is very clean with an aftertaste of a very light black tea.

Not bad if you want an ice cold summer beer to slug after mowing the yard. For the price, I'd much rather drink the Michelob Porter or Dunkel Weizen. The Pale Ale is next to try on the list. Ho hum.

3.55/5  rDev +33.5%

Clear gold color with one finger of white head. Earthy hop aroma. Nice clean malty taste. Good amount of earthy euro hop fllavor. Clean crisp finish. One of the best regular American macros. Leaning toward the sweet side but not unusual for the style. If this is all that is available on tap at your favorite restaurant it will be O.K. with your meal.

Michelob is one of my favorite beers. It is very smooth and at the same time crisp and bold enough to make for some good drinking. They explain on the label about the quality malt and imported hops. I like the bottles better than your standard longneck, but it seems like they don't hold as much, haha. Every time I pick it up it's nearly empty.

3.4/5  rDev +27.8%

I've had this beer many times. But I must admit that I like the curvy bottle more than the regular looking one.

It's a shade darker than most macros with pretty exuberant carbonation.
It smells a little grassy with a few hop notes.
It tastes like a solid all malt lager.
The feel is light and crisp.
I like this beer and drink it often.

If I only have five bucks and need a six pack, I hope this one's on sale.

2.23/5  rDev -16.2%

I'm not going to go into all the details like you have read previously but I will tell you to save your "I only had one" for something worth drinking; this would not be it.

It was flat, very small head.

Almost no aroma.

Weak in taste.

Drink it if you must have a brew and it is the only thing being given away.

I was tempted to try the "Original Lager" because the Michelob Hops Hound was a pretty decent brew. This one, however, was not worth the calories or the money spent.

Avoid.

3.65/5  rDev +37.2%

All malt craft version.

12oz pry off top bottle pours a crystal clear straw yellow, with a bit of white head, even some lace rings to show off. Pretty good whiff of malt in the aroma, followed by a mostly malt quaff. No corn or grain aspect to it, just smooth lager malt, followed by a small hop bite in the finish.

A good pilsner, no standout qualities, just a easy drinking smooth sailer. I'll be happy to have another from my sixer, and if offered one.

Michelob (Original Lager) from Anheuser-Busch