Natty Daddy (8%) | Anheuser-Busch

Natty Daddy (8%)Natty Daddy (8%)
2.46/5
Poor
Natty Daddy (8%)Natty Daddy (8%)

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by Luigi on 09-18-2011

View: Beers
1.93/5  rDev -21.5%

2.41/5  rDev -2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.68/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

A sixer of 16 fl oz cans ran me under $7 in Austin, TX. "Lager." 8% ABV. No canned-on date.

Head is white and fizzles out in about 2 minutes, which isn't bad at 8% ABV. Leaves no lacing as it recedes.

Body colour is a clear copper of average vibrance. Clean/devoid of yeast/lees. Obviously filtered.

AROMA: Muted stale malt. No hop aromatics. No yeast aromatics/esters/phenols. No overt off-notes or booze (which is quite impressive in an 8% malt liquor). Suggests a near-insipid lager without egregiously obvious adjunct notes. I'll take what I can get in this style.

Syrupy and thick on the palate, with a bit of chewiness that isn't particularly pleasant. Not as overcarbonated as many expressions of the style. Smooth and wet, but not very approachable. Lacks any fusel alcohol heat, so that's a plus.

Taste has a scintilla of acetaldehyde, but it's faint and that's the only overt off-flavour present. Adjunct-wise, I'd bet heavy on corn. Cheap 6-row rounds out the malt--forward flavour. I don't even pick up on any grassy hop flavour.

If it weren't for the syrupy thickness of this brew, it wouldn't be all that flawed. The taste is largely inoffensive and it's not boozy or metallic. Not a great beer by any means, but it's a true to contemporary convention malt liquor and its primary demographic (boozers and students) will likely be repeat customers. Personally, I prefer the watery thin weak malt liquors to these heavy syrupy gutbombs, but I've certainly had worse in my day, and the 5 cans remaining in my fridge will be put to use.

Sure, I'd sooner take a grenade of Mickey's (which is available in most of the same markets, though I never saw Mickey's in New York City) or a 40oz of Ballantine, but if you're buying this it's probably more for its effect than its taste, and as an alcohol delivery mechanism it's about as tolerable as a cheap malt liquor comes. That said, I doubt I'll ever buy it again unless I make some dubious life choices and wind up chronically unemployed or in some seedy V.A. bar in the grain belt.

C- (2.68) / BELOW AVERAGE

3.94/5  rDev +60.2%

I loved this product. I saw it at my local sketchy gas station for 6.99 for 15 cans (what a steal). I got home, went to my room and turned on the office season 5 episode 15. I grabbed one of the delicious looking natty daddys and popped it open. When I popped it, it smelt like the guy who canned it thought it would be funny to seal a Mexican food fart in there. With hesitation, I took a sip. To my amazement, it tasted better than it smelt. I finished my first one fast and went for my 2nd. When I stood up I realized I was already catching a buzz. Score! This product is the shit..speaking of shit, I ended up drinking 3 of these beers. The next morning I was awoken by the sound of a 8.2 magnitude earthquake. After I scrambled up I realized it was my stomach. I rushed to the bathroom, dropped drawers and unleashed the unholyest crap I've ever had. I shit out the dinner I had 3 weeks ago with the force of 1000 waterfalls. After all was said and done and my anus returned to it's original form, I was pleased with the versatility of the drink. Its will get you inebriated at night and acts as a full on colonic in the morning. Top job Busch.

2.46/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

1.7/5  rDev -30.9%

Bought this in a big 25 ounce can, wasn't able to finish it. Too much beer, too bad tasting for me. The beer's taste is minimal, wouldn't be bad if it wasn't 8% alcohol. It's a good deal if your looking to get drunk cheap. I suggest put it in the freezer for at least 20 mins.

2.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.53/5  rDev +2.8%

Small, briefly lasting foam. “Good old American cheap beer,”. To be be consumed if you’re thirsty and need some alcohol. It’s 8% abv is useful.

Best nights of my life with this old dog.

2.12/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz. can -

Typical macro lager look, smell of fusel alcohol with a bit of grain, taste of cheap beer (which it is) with harsh alcohol. Alcohol gives dryness.

It is what it is supposed to be, I guess. Cheap beer with alcohol that stands out.

2.56/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

3.71/5  rDev +50.8%

I legitimately drink Natty Daddy regularly. It's inexpensive, taste is good, bitter, dry, smell is okay for an aluminum can beer, color is lagarish--not too light (amber), alcohol content delivers quick euphoric feeling and the tallboy can means fewer trips to the frig where there is even more Natty. Overall a decent beer.

2.27/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

found it on the shelf while looking around in the separate beer room of a sheets gas station. for a basic cheap beer, not bad. drinking it now. although it is 8% ABV, light is the only description. light color, light flavor, almost no aroma. would be good with a big plate of spicy Mexican or Korean food. really can't complain when look at price. think Ultra Lite with the kick of a mule.

2.24/5  rDev -8.9%

This stuff isn't horrible, but you don't buy it for the taste, you buy it for the 8% alcohol in a big can. However, its not really that bad at all. Its drinkable, just don't overdo it ;)

2.22/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

1.16/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Fusel alcohol meets sugar, meets corn, with grass notes, meets sugar. Undrinkable even when cold. Thin lacing and with no head beyond a few seconds. Aftertaste reminds you of rocket fuel, no subtleties of any kind and no nuance. Gives you a headache really quick. Drain pour of the highest order. The worst tasting beer or malt liquor I ever tasted from any brewer, makes Steel Reserve seem refined. The Russian Biker Bitch of Trailer Park Beer. A good way to get your neighborhood featured on an episode of Cops. 1.25 rating, and I'm being nice. Avoid!!!

Sucked

4.72/5  rDev +91.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have NEVER been a fan of the oh so flaunted IPAS's, they taste like what they are, 200 bushels of hops, used as preservatives, to make ales and beers to survive the 6-9 month trip to India from England to slack the thirst of the gutter class ruffians that made up the army of the British East India Company .
Natty Daddy has all the alcohol, or nearly so, of the German beers that I got used to while in Uncle Sugars service, without on any of, to my American tongue the far more heavy tastes and "unusual" qualities of the beers brewed following the Reinheitsgebot laws. What we call "High Gravity" the call "almost there, but not quite".
Natty Daddy has , almost, all the alcohol of a German beer but with the flavor styles that Americans prefer.
Nice taste, smooth finish, not much of an aftertaste ( not that after 6 of them you are going to notice the taste of an Indian "Ghost Chili").
It smells like beer, having worked my way through high school at a bar run by the local Capo I know what beer, stale or otherwise, is supposed smells like.
Feel is as good as it gets unless you are some kind of "beer snob" who thinks they are THE sommelier of beers, it goes down right smoothly.
Look, really? Who looks at beer? It's meant to be drank, and in quantity!
Overall: Natty Daddy has the alcohol content and price point to bring back fond memories of the "bad old days' of the Cold War years spent In Germany with friends who would be friends until all have passed to the great beyond without the taste that required shots of Asbach Uralt Cognac to get it out of your taste buds.

2.57/5  rDev +4.5%

What do you expect for a $1.00 a can? Its 25ozs of regret and bad decisions. When money is tight this here will do the trick. Actually pretty easy to drink once you choke the first one down.

1.98/5  rDev -19.5%

Natty Daddy - 72F loud and fizzy like some dramatic person who talks loudly, over the rest of the people in the fast food restaurant, clear in a plastic sort of way. A disagreeable flavor with a fard of makeup like sweetness trying to cover up self inflicted flaws ie meth craters on its face. Has a bit of heavy bite like lugging life’s possessions in baggage along the highway, car long since broken down. It’s a daddy in the sense of not a real father but just some novelty title used arbitrarily in cheap sex play. Sure it grows on you like any bad situation will, but what will be the true cost? Foams up big and loud but doesn’t stick around. You are what you drink. Has a sweet facade, but the alcohol cuts you in the gut, then leaves a long wet syrupy flow all over the floor of your mouth. Funny how the shitty ones are the most fun. Reminds of the last cheap beer i bought, after careful deliberation as regards to most alcohol per cent cost at a gas station (why don’t they list this like they do cost per oz on foods at grocery store?), and, not wanting to unease Jen by drinking in car way back from Dallas foodie event, chugged it down in bathroom, and she know exactly what i’d done when i got back into car. Couldn’t really manage to make three hour drive back without something, having gone without smoking a while now, still craving as much as those guys who find butts on ground and roll em into a bugler or top paper.

Great for getting shifaced quickly b4 a nice islander game. Gets the job done. My friend Vin yaked quickly upon consumption. Overall 10/10.

1.31/5  rDev -46.7%