Natty Daddy (8%) | Anheuser-Busch

Natty Daddy (8%)Natty Daddy (8%)
2.5/5
Poor
Natty Daddy (8%)Natty Daddy (8%)

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by Luigi on 09-18-2011

38%

View: Beers
2.5/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

4.76/5  rDev +90.4%

I seem to be drawn to liking the "trashy beers" as this is my favorite very great flavor.

3.28/5  rDev +31.2%

OK, this is another one of those cheap summer beers that I like to drink right out of the can with a beer coozy while I'm slaving over a hot BBQ smoker for 5 hours in July in St. Louis. No appologies, this is what it is and I prefer it to plain old Budwiper or Miller Low Life. It's great for what it is, and if you compare it to the light tasteless beers that most of America drinks in the hot summer months, it's great. Cheers!

3.22/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

3.42/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This is the smoothest high gravity lager I have had to date. The alcohol is hidden pretty well, a little light on taste, and OK body. I wish this was easier to find where I live, I would make it a regular in my fridge. I prefer it to its brother Hurricane that I can find almost anywhere.

3.36/5  rDev +34.4%

Look - Dark yellow/light amber color. Very thick, long lasting head and good lacing.

Smell - Sweet, sour corn and booze.

Taste - Sweet corn and malts. Little but noticeable hoppiness and smooth finish.

Feel - Still pretty watery, and a little syrupy. Carbonation is about right.

Overall - A good entry in the "high gravity" malt liquor category. It's not packed with taste, but very smooth for the rather high ABV. Much better than competing beers (Steel Reserve, St. Ides, etc.).

3.57/5  rDev +42.8%

1 can of this at the end of the day makes everything alright.

3.46/5  rDev +38.4%

25 ounce can into lager glass, canned on 2/16/2018. Pours crystal clear golden amber color with a 1 finger dense white head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Lightly spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light honey/nuttiness, and mild herbal/grassy earthiness. A bit too fruity aromas, but not overwhelming. Okay aromas with pale malt/grains and mild earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of big cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light honey/nuttiness, and mild herbal/grassy earthiness. Very mild herbal/grassy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, corn, white bread dough, lightly toasted biscuit, light honey/nuttiness, and mild herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Nice robustness of pale malt/grains and mild earthy hop flavors; with a solid malt/bitterness balance, and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Perfectly clean on lager flavors, with minimal fruity notes present. Lightly increasing dryness from lingering bitterness and spicy alcohol. Medium carbonation and medium-plus body; with a very smooth, creamy/bready/grainy, and slightly sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Mildly increasing warmth of 8% lingering after the finish. Overall this is a very solid malt liquor. All around good robustness of pale malt/grains and mild earthy hop flavors; very smooth and dangerously easy to drink for the ABV; with the mildly bitter/drying finish. Very clean and rich barley/grains and mild earthy hop balance. Not overdone on adjuncts, with plenty of barley presence. A pleasantly enjoyable offering, and spot on style example. Very well made as expected.

2.73/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

3.08/5  rDev +23.2%

2.29/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. can poured into a pint glass.

L---Deep gold color. Thick head (with an aggressive pour) that had suprisingly good retention and lacing.

S---Corn. Chemistry set.

T---Better than the smell. The chemistry set doesn't follow through. Sweet corn and malt.

F---Mine was very cold, which is probably best. Wet & smoother than would be expected for the ABV.

O---I want to rate to style, which would give it a much higher score since it's style is "cheap & high octane" and it's as good as you're going to get in that style, but I can't give higher grades with a clear conscience.

2.49/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.19/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours a dark golden straw color. The head is white with somewhat lasting retention. There is only bit of lacing left unevenly.
Smells like sweet corn mixed with random chemicals.
Taste just like the smell but with more chemicals.
The mouthfeel is sorta think. Good thing the carbonation is bubbly enough so as to lift it a bit.

Drink ice cold in a frosted glass.

2.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.17/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

You're certainly not picking up a Natty Daddy tallboy when you want a beer you can savor. Surprisingly, it's drinkable when sober (if a little harsh and malty sweet) and downright refreshing when you're... well, not so sober. I can pick this up for $1 per 25-oz can at the drugstore of all places and that kind of value just can't be beat. Natty Daddy won't impress you but it doesn't have to. It's the king of the gloriously cheap drink for this university student.

4.78/5  rDev +91.2%

Natty Daddy is the king of cheap gas station tall boys. at 8% and only about 1$ the store sells out every week. scotty domes drinks em like water.

4.88/5  rDev +95.2%

I have tried a lot of beers and this beer is well rounded, it affordable , it’s a great taste on a Saturday afternoon after finishing mowing and yard work and wanting to enjoy a couple ice cold beers with neighbors and friends. It doesn’t always have to be craft beer! Here’s to keeping it real!!! Well done Anheiser Busch!! And here’s to Saturday afternoons with neighbors and friends working in the back yard !

1.46/5  rDev -41.6%

well, its i guess a beer...with that being said, its sole purpose was as i imagine, to be at every corner store gas station to fulfill the needs of broke drunks.
8% abv makes a dollar go a long way i sapose for a 25oz. i could imagine perhaps the likes of toll booth willie(old adam sandler character from years past,), or even groundskeeper willie from the simpsons,
being summoned to brew a beer of this magnitude.
perhaps the "faygo" of ICP of beers, idk
if you partake godspeed!

1.93/5  rDev -22.8%

2.41/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.68/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

A sixer of 16 fl oz cans ran me under $7 in Austin, TX. "Lager." 8% ABV. No canned-on date.

Head is white and fizzles out in about 2 minutes, which isn't bad at 8% ABV. Leaves no lacing as it recedes.

Body colour is a clear copper of average vibrance. Clean/devoid of yeast/lees. Obviously filtered.

AROMA: Muted stale malt. No hop aromatics. No yeast aromatics/esters/phenols. No overt off-notes or booze (which is quite impressive in an 8% malt liquor). Suggests a near-insipid lager without egregiously obvious adjunct notes. I'll take what I can get in this style.

Syrupy and thick on the palate, with a bit of chewiness that isn't particularly pleasant. Not as overcarbonated as many expressions of the style. Smooth and wet, but not very approachable. Lacks any fusel alcohol heat, so that's a plus.

Taste has a scintilla of acetaldehyde, but it's faint and that's the only overt off-flavour present. Adjunct-wise, I'd bet heavy on corn. Cheap 6-row rounds out the malt--forward flavour. I don't even pick up on any grassy hop flavour.

If it weren't for the syrupy thickness of this brew, it wouldn't be all that flawed. The taste is largely inoffensive and it's not boozy or metallic. Not a great beer by any means, but it's a true to contemporary convention malt liquor and its primary demographic (boozers and students) will likely be repeat customers. Personally, I prefer the watery thin weak malt liquors to these heavy syrupy gutbombs, but I've certainly had worse in my day, and the 5 cans remaining in my fridge will be put to use.

Sure, I'd sooner take a grenade of Mickey's (which is available in most of the same markets, though I never saw Mickey's in New York City) or a 40oz of Ballantine, but if you're buying this it's probably more for its effect than its taste, and as an alcohol delivery mechanism it's about as tolerable as a cheap malt liquor comes. That said, I doubt I'll ever buy it again unless I make some dubious life choices and wind up chronically unemployed or in some seedy V.A. bar in the grain belt.

C- (2.68) / BELOW AVERAGE

3.94/5  rDev +57.6%

I loved this product. I saw it at my local sketchy gas station for 6.99 for 15 cans (what a steal). I got home, went to my room and turned on the office season 5 episode 15. I grabbed one of the delicious looking natty daddys and popped it open. When I popped it, it smelt like the guy who canned it thought it would be funny to seal a Mexican food fart in there. With hesitation, I took a sip. To my amazement, it tasted better than it smelt. I finished my first one fast and went for my 2nd. When I stood up I realized I was already catching a buzz. Score! This product is the shit..speaking of shit, I ended up drinking 3 of these beers. The next morning I was awoken by the sound of a 8.2 magnitude earthquake. After I scrambled up I realized it was my stomach. I rushed to the bathroom, dropped drawers and unleashed the unholyest crap I've ever had. I shit out the dinner I had 3 weeks ago with the force of 1000 waterfalls. After all was said and done and my anus returned to it's original form, I was pleased with the versatility of the drink. Its will get you inebriated at night and acts as a full on colonic in the morning. Top job Busch.

2.46/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

1.7/5  rDev -32%

Bought this in a big 25 ounce can, wasn't able to finish it. Too much beer, too bad tasting for me. The beer's taste is minimal, wouldn't be bad if it wasn't 8% alcohol. It's a good deal if your looking to get drunk cheap. I suggest put it in the freezer for at least 20 mins.

2.4/5  rDev -4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Natty Daddy (8%) from Anheuser-Busch