Natty Daddy (8%) | Anheuser-Busch

poor
Natty Daddy (8%)Natty Daddy (8%)

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by Luigi on 09-18-2011

Reviews: 103 | Ratings: 246
3.76/5  rDev +48%

I am a little confused about the other reviews on this site, The Natty Daddy I got here looks like the picture but it is a Lager and 6% vol (not 8% as stated).

It wasnt particulary cheap either $15 for 24 cans, I can get just about any beer around that price, but that is not why we are here.

I think it has a smooth taste and the most important thing for me is that it does not give me heartburn like most beers does, it also does not make me feel like poop when I wake up even after a dozen or so of these.

Someone mentioned steel reserve which I am also a huge fan of, but let's face it SR messes up your system badly, which is why I ventured out and found these.

All in all they fit my pallet good and I really like them, but I do wish they were the 8% that were mentioned here.

3.4/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I'm a big fan of Steel Reserve. Steel Reserve taste pretty bad (not nearly as bad as a Malt like Colt. 45), but it's cheap, and has a nice strong kick.
Anyway, my closest liquor store stopped selling them, and I was forced to pick up Natty Daddy at the time, seeing as it was the only canned beverage close to Steel Reserve in Alc./Vol. (8%, VS Steel Reserve's 8.1%)

My experiences in the past with Natty-brand beers have been unfavorable: Me and a friend had a horrible lousy evening trying out a 24 pack of Natty Ice, and the only other person I know who drinks Natty-brand regularly is the local whino. Most people I know, even in a moment of desperation, would think twice about picking up a Natty-brand beer. Especially one called "Natty Daddy", what the hell?

But I was surprised by this one. I picked it up out of frustration before, and a few days later [today], I decided to give it another try. I'm writing this review while half way through a can of Natty Daddy. (...GOD that's a stupid name)
It's a cheap Lager, that just about manages to have the kick of a Malt, and it's surprisingly smooth for one. The taste is the most un-offending out of any cheap beverages on this level that I've tried. It's obviously not good, but there is a satisfying level of refinement. Very surprising [I'm using that word a lot], for a cheap strong beverage.

In conclusion: there are better options out there, even for cheap beverages. But this is not nearly as bad as I expected out of a Natty brand. They did something right here, and I tip my hat to them for that.

2.53/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is not good beer. Not at all. But its not terrible either. Well, yeah its kind of terrible. But it goes down easy. There are some decent fruity flavors there. And its cheap. So if you want some inexpensive beer, with a kick(8% abv), this is for you. Otherwise, I don't recommend it.

3.13/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I bought a case of this stuff at Walmart in Butte, Mt for about 14 bucks- that's 58 cents a can, folks! I don't think I've seen this for sale anywhere else around here. This beer has an ABV of "only" 6 percent.

A semi-aggressive pour from a 12 ounce can into a shaker pint produces enough head to fill the glass. This quickly reduces to a ring of lace around the sides and a little wispy island. The beer is a pale straw color with light carbonation.

The aroma has a distinct whiff of DMS suggesting corn but also a bit of a fruity alcohol aroma. The flavor is quite mild and easy to drink with just a tad bit of wet cardboard flavor. There is a distinct sweetness and boozy fruitiness, with grainy flavors lingering in the aftertaste. The mouth feel is slightly spritzy and even a little creamy on the tongue.

This beer is quite drinkable and even at a mere 6 percent ABV could be dangerous. I think I've discovered my new favorite ultra-cheap beer!

3.24/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Anheuser-Busch "Natty Daddy"

The "Natty Daddy" name harkens back to "Natural Light" which was introduced by Anheuser-Busch in 1977 as their first foray into the light or "diet" beer category, just 2 years behind Miller's national roll-out of Miller Lite.

Oddly, A-B took their light beer brand and turned it inside out and upside down in 1995, creating a secondary "Natural Ice" beer with 157 calories at 5.9% versus the original "Natural Light" at just 95 calories and 4.2%.

To put everything in perspective, Miller Lite was also 4.2% at 96 calories; and Bud Light followed 7 years later with the same 4.2% at 110 calories. Additionally, there was a "Dry beer" war that started in 1989; and A-B also introduced Bud Ice and Bud Ice Light in '94.

Why they would confuse their initial light beer's standing by using the same name for a secondary entry into the burgeoning "ice beer" category? I don't know, but it does somehow make sense that they would morph it now into an "American malt liquor" following the introduction of... what did I call it?... the "American light malt liquor" category that includes Budweiser Select and Labatt Bleu Royale.

At 8% abv. and 181 calories, Natty Daddy clearly fits the guidelines of a malt liquor, and yet it doesn't taste quite like you might expect. It's more refined. It's fruity, and there's a very limited amount of high fermentation characteristics, but beyond that it's really quite easy to drink. It's sweetish with more of an apple juice flavor than corn, and it's surprisingly smooth. The alcohol is present, but of course it needs to be - it wouldn't be an American malt liquor without a little 'edge'.

Overall, I live in a college town and the street are littered with these each and every Friday and Saturday night, so they must be doing something right. And at least they're cans rather than glass. I'll pass, but I'll also say that it's far from the worst malt liquor I've ever tasted.

2.51/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

16oz can poured into a pint glass, no canning date

A- pours a clear and pale yellow-straw color with a creamy white head that actually retains long after the pour, even leaving some lacing behind

S- sweet corn mixes with light floral aromas, grains, bread, maybe some rice

T- quite sweet up front with some adjunct chalky bitterness, there is a trace of floral notes with a bit of caramel before turning into a toasted grainy finish, the linger is pretty harsh

M- light body with some substance leads to low-biting carbonation and a crisp finish, some alcohol heat hits the chest

O- this isn't nearly as bad as Natty light. The sweet taste up front isn't that bad actually, but the finish tastes just as off-putting as Natty light. A good way to get drunk, but that's about it

3.04/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

For a cheap ($1.79) can at 8%, it's really not that bad. If you're okay with drinking cheap domestics, this one does just fine. Packs a decent punch. Average malty taste, nothing too exciting.

This is my new favorite beer. This is the first ever malt liqueur that I have tried. I didn't know what I was missing all those years.

This beer has a light taste for a barley beer and a satisfying after taste. 8% was a "wow" factor too. I always did get more of a buzz from 5% beer than I did from 12% wine or 40% scotch for some strange reason. One of these Natty Daddy beers is quite satisfying for the night.

This is the worst beer I have ever had. I am not one to pour out a beer, but half-way thru this huge can, and I started to develop a headache. Instant hang-over in a can... had to go down the drain. Just awful.

1.17/5  rDev -53.9%

To beer fair any beer called, Natty Daddy, needs no other criticism, I drank this at a Pitt tailgate and much like English Bob, I walked up slowly on the beer tub,because I was drunk!

2.75/5  rDev +8.3%

Really this is a fine beer for what it is. Which is to say...hiccup...if you are looking to get hammered on...hiccup...the cheap, this is the...hiccup...beer for...hiccup...you. There is nothing offensive or even remotely so, except for the flavor on the can from the constant smell of the place that I bought it. It isn't good beer. But it is fine for what it is.

3.5/5  rDev +37.8%

Sitting here having the first one as I was tempted at the local convenience store at $2.99 for a 4 pack of 16 oz'ers.

Amazingly not as bad as I thought it would be. Definitely better than most, if not all of the "malt liquors" I've sampled.

Drinkable extremely cold and a nice buzz at a low price if that's your goal!

1.21/5  rDev -52.4%

Not my favorite by any stretch. The appearance was a hazy pale yellow with no head and flat looking. The smell is all booze with no hop,malt, or anything else to speak of, maybe a little rice. The taste wasn't good either, mainly starting off weak with light rice flavor and then a heavy booze finish. Overall I think I'll stop taking freebies from salesmen for a little bit.

2.38/5  rDev -6.3%

It looks fine poured in a big schooner, with an ok head. It looks like a "thick" lager. It smells a tad bit rancid. First taste is rough. The mouthfeel is also "thick" for a lager. By the time you get a quarter into the 25oz, it tastes ok. Do not let it get warm ... you will die (it will become so "thick" and syrupy that it will take you to your knees).

I do drink this beer. I enjoy the heck out of it in the right circumstances. I truly love good beers and ales. This is not one of them. It does however, have it place, as a quick hit malt liquor that will put the crowd in the mood. It is similar to Fireball as compare to decent whiskey. It has it place as a party starter.

3.81/5  rDev +50%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Natty Daddy

25 Oz can poured into a frosty, glass mug

A: Golden yellow, Not too pale, Clear.
Fast growing head, About 3 fingers.
Not much retention, Less than 1 finger.
Moderate lacing.

S: Sweet Corn, Yeast, Malt, Bread
Cannot detect any hops, Though I imagine they are used at some point.

T: Apple-like sweetness, Corn, Slightly sour, or tart.
Definitely not your average tasting beer, or malt liquor,
Does not linger, No strong or offensive aftertaste.
Still not finding any strong hop flavor, But they could just be used to balance.

M: Light, Like water mixed with a little sugar to give it slight viscosity.
Stronger, more active carbonation when consumed just after opening,
As it sits, Most of the carbonation just evaporates away.

This beer surprised me, or rather, caught me off guard being much more bearable than I had expected. I used to buy only Best Ice until I think I was given on by accident, Now I'm hooked. Now I am not saying that it is this is one of the best beers ever, But I do not think it should be on the worst list either. When you read that it has 8% abv, You automatically think of a nasty malt liquor, Since not many 8% beers taste well. That being said, I find this beer has a good taste, Not offensive, And great price, At $1.35-$1.55, Although I've heard that it can go over $2 in certain areas. It used to be $1.09, But I guess they realized how many people preferred Natty Daddy over King Kobra, Steel Reserve or whichever High Gravity Malt Liquor.
Overall, This beer will remain with me throughout my life.

3.13/5  rDev +23.2%

OK...Lets face it man,this is not a Beer you drink and savor the flavor,this is a "Malt Liquor" you chill ICE F87king Cold and slam! it will get you where you want to be VERY Fast,and for about a buck 25 a 25oz can what can you bitch about? you must drink this stuff ICE COLD,Because as it warms it gets that "Malt Liquor" sweet,sick,nasty tatse to it..yuck! but ICE COLD? not half bad @ all~and it will "Kick your ass" so know this..lmao~beerwolf666*[jammimg some "the morningside~ 14}

3.03/5  rDev +19.3%

Iknow alot of folks look down on this one but for what it is,it is out standing.Here I can get my local grocery store sells it at $1.09 a 25oz can and with there store deal card they take .10c off that!So $10.00 about takes care of your weekend beer buzz because you only need 3-4 of these to get where you want to be if a cheap high is what you are seeking.This is not a beer for someone looking to savor but with a pizza and movie if your looking to sleep good it works.

1.95/5  rDev -23.2%

Its cheap, it does the job there is nothing to hate about it. It is what is is a inexpensive high alcohol beer that will get you drunk. If you are strictly a craft beer drinker yeah you wont like it cause it has nothing to do with craft but overall for the price and the alcohol percent you will have a hard to time beat it.

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours out a pale yellow with a fleeting head and some lacing.

S - Very neutral. I suspect that rice is the major adjunct in this beer.

T - Again, quite neutral and certainly not offensive.

M - Low carbonation with a "wet" mouth feel.

O - For what this is it isn't exactly "bad". When I hear people say this is "the worst beer" ever I have to wonder if they've live sheltered beer lives as there is plenty that make this stuff look like a world class brew. Bottom line is that for what it is it is pretty good.

2.66/5  rDev +4.7%

Natty Daddy Is Death In a Can made by Anheuser Busch. 8.1 % abv. This brew pours out a deep amber color with a small white head. For the money you will get messed up....Fucked up. The smell is rich with corn and al. The mouthfeel is bold and rough, but refreshing. Over all this a beer you buy when you want one beer. Not the greatest but not the worst out there. Taste is heavy and bitter. The color is darker than Natural ICE and Bud ICE. Mouth feel was ok. Overall I'm giving Natty Daddy a 3 out of 5.

1.72/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Natty daddy from the ultra rare 8oz mini can:

Pours with a scanty head of white on a clear, straw colored body. No retention no lace. An aroma of weak apple juice/cheap champagne. The flavor is more watered down apple juice with notes of nail polish remover and sadness. Medium body, fairly high carbonation and a slightly sweet finish. This is unusually bad, to the point that I actually laughed out loud when I first tasted it. Not sure what the point of this product is, since they already make other high gravity malt liquors that don't suck quite as much as this one.

3.68/5  rDev +44.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Honestly these beers arent that bad. They are not for a light weight because of their heavier alcohol content.. In my opinion if you can't handle a natty daddy you shouldn't be drinking alcohol at all, so yea. Drink on, friends and be safe. Much love

2.24/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Drunk straight from the 25 oz can (dat extra ounce) - because why would you put this in a glass?

A: (Insert typical adjunct lager/malt liquor appearance here) The can looks kinda cool.

S: Sweet, alcohol, corn.

T: Not that good. Flavor is dominated by an almost dirty taste. A sweetness and a long overcooked corn flavor accompany. The 8% is noticeable, but doesn't make me cringe.

M: Alcohol warms. More oily than any malt liquors our AALs I've had.

O: I'm just going to finish this can...aaand I'm buzzing.

2.71/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with significant amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some faint golden yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall sudsy white head that reduces to a large patch of thick film and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of grainy malts with moderate to strong notes of corn adjunct and a touch of apple juice sweetness.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of grainy malts with moderate to strong flavors of corn adjuncts and sweetness. There is a light amount of alcohol and some strange chemical metallic flavors (which is all together not that pleasant). Light amounts of lingering bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with slightly more than moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery with a light touch of alcohol warming.

O: For a malt liquor this one is really not that bad, it is drinkable and the flavors are not overly intense with the alcohol being fairly well hidden (which is unusual for the style).

2.83/5  rDev +11.4%

Cheap can of malt liquor found at the store I haven't tried before so how bad can it be?

Poured in a glass to take a look.

Amazingly pale colored for what it is. Clear pale yellow with a decent small white colored head that soon fades.

Smell as expected is sweet. Sweet corn scent with detectable amount of hop. Clean scent with some slight fruity scents mostly lemon. Seems to be quite clean of fusel alcohols. At least they didn't rush the fermentation with too high heat.

Starts out rather clean tasting for the beer style. Mineral water and some seltzer bubbles on the tongue. Slight bitterness and a slight metallic taste but overall good for the beer type.

Mouthfeel is decent.

Overall, for an American Malt Liquor it is quite good. Not going to fill the refrigerator with the stuff but is is better than 95% of what you will find.

Natty Daddy (8%) from Anheuser-Busch