Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Natty Daddy (8%) | Anheuser-Busch

Natty Daddy (8%)Natty Daddy (8%)
2.44/5
Poor
Natty Daddy (8%)Natty Daddy (8%)

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: American Malt Liquor

Added by Luigi on 09-18-2011

1.15/5  rDev -52.9%

Picked this up by accident at a WEIS grocery store in PA. I thought it was a Natty Light... it was not.

I'll start the review with the good. It was cheap, and has a high alcohol content. If those two items are not your chief concern, stay away. It was also fairly heavy at 25oz., so I suppose it would be good for lobbing at would be attackers, or feral cats attracted by the smell of rancid urine coming from the can.

...It doesn't smell just like rancid urine though, I also picked up a hint of Fritos, that smell when you first open a can of tennis balls, belly button lint, terpentine, burnt hooker pubes, badger anus, and a hint of orange peel.

I'm not proud of this, but after taking a few sips I had to throw it from a moving vehicle, the smell and taste were just too offensive. Some of it got on my arm and I had to pull over and pour Scope on it to make the smell go away.

If I had to describe the taste in one word it would be, shitty. If I had to use many words, it would be described as; piss, store brand pork rinds, musty blanket, grundle sweat, dicarded homeless man gloves, and a hint of orange peel.

I appreciate a high alcohol content malt beverage as much as the next guy, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my dignity in order to get it.

Unless your tastebuds have been burned off in a freak battery testing accident you should not drink this. If you see it on the shelf, back away slowly and try to avoid looking directly at it.

Overall, fucking horrible., unless like the guy from u Albany, you're looking to get the fucking party started.

2.35/5  rDev -3.7%

'It's not good but that's what's good about it!' We used to pay 88 cents for these back in college and that includes tax and bottle deposit! Not the best tasting but you cannot beat the value. I graduated from UAlbany over a year ago and I still drink them to 'get the fuckin party started' every once in a while.

2.28/5  rDev -6.6%

Can shared by Matt last night. Apparently $1.19 for a 25 oz can. What a bargain!

This one pours a light straw gold/amber-ish color, completely clear, with a small head, and no lacing. I can't believe I'm "professionally" reviewing this beer.

Smells like old apple juice, booze, paper, cheap champagne, and surprisingly, a little bit of grassy hops.

At the first sip, I didn't actually find this to be that bad. But after sip #3 or 4 or so, as it began to warm even a little bit, this got absolutely atrocious. It has this awful stale candied sweetness, like fake and old apple cider or apple juice. It tastes like cheap apple wine, or something like that. It was a bit boozy on the nose, but surprisingly, it doesn't actually taste that boozy, which is nice, given the ABV.

This is light bodied, but syrupy at the same time, with a high level of carbonation. It's exceedingly hard to drink.

This is as bad as you'd expect.

1.39/5  rDev -43%

Not good, really not good. Doesn't even taste like beer, tastes more like a horrid champagne. This is one of the few beers that I truly didn't like..... scratch that the stuff is revolting. When you pour it, it has a minimal head..... yet looks oddly no different than Bud or anything else really. Then, as soon as you take that first sip, the smell and flavor of bad champagne/sparkling wine hits you like a ton of bricks. It's not even astringent feeling, just like a bad wine rather than even tasting like beer. Not sure what the heck is in this stuff, if it's not hoped enough of what the deal is. But I'm sure as heck not drinking the stuff again. Honestly, for the same price, you'd be better off with Steel Reserve which actually tastes like a beer. Okay, not a great beer but a beer and actually a somewhat serviceable one.

2.8/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Yeah thanks for trolling rudzud

Big fluffy head fades fairly quickly, decent lacing, crystal clear watery sight tan color.

Nose macro adjunct corn syrup rice sugar thing, mild mineral skunky lager, syrupy sweet candy.

Taste more macro mess, little booze, sticky syrupy, blond malt, straw, candy syrup, corn syrup and rice sugar, little fruity lager thing, no booze, little bitterness.

Mouth is syrupy little sticky, good carb

Overall as expected, thankfully not as sticky tough.

2.25/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

1.5/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2.52/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Ice cold and it still tastes terrible. Sweet, boozy malt water. Hints of cardboard, cereal grain and corn. Super short finish which is good. Uou don't want these flavors lingering in your mouth.

2.86/5  rDev +17.2%

Smells like spiked sweet apple cider. There's a lot of sickly sweet bready malt and vegetable aromas that come through as well, but that's it.

Doesn't taste as bad as it smells. It actually doesn't taste too bad at all. I still get mostly apple cider and alcohol, but it's not as sweet as the smell would lead you to believe. I would almost call it crisp, but not quite.

It smells awful, but it doesn't taste too bad, and it's not overly carbonated. What more can you ask for? It's super cheap too. I can get the 25oz cans here for between $1 and $1.50. Don't let this one get warm though.

Everything About this beer is SPOT ON !!!

2.66/5  rDev +9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.13/5  rDev -12.7%

1.57/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I've had this beer more than I'd like to admit simply because it has a high ABV and is cheap. That said, this stuff is godawful. I like beer of all types, and this is just plain bad. Comparable to skunked Bud Light. If you're not a broke alcoholic college kid, avoid this beer at all costs.

2.79/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.41/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

As an avid drinker of malt liquors, this was a decent one. It pours very nicely with a yellow color and a solid head that sticks to the glass for the first couple minutes. The smell was however almost non-existent with an extremely faint smell of malt and corn. The taste was full-bodied, with a good malt flavor along with a sour corn aftertaste that wasn't too enjoyably. There was low carbonation in this so the mouth feel was not too good. All in all this was a good malt for the price.

I usually drink Natural Ice also from AB, I didn't even notice it was Natty Daddy when I first tasted it. It did seem to be a little fuller than Natural Ice. I only found out when I read the label. A friend bought if for me. I like it better! For a cheap beer it's pretty darn good! Caution though, you will get a buzz a lot faster. So cut back a little on it unless you really want to get waisted. And if you drink it please don't drive!

3.03/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

1.44/5  rDev -41%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.52/5  rDev +3.3%

What can I say. This is the go to beer if you only have a few bucks and you wanna get hella fucked up. This beer is a great compliment to meth, crack-cocaine, hookers, and just bad decisions in general.

2.25/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.69/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

25 ounce Can into a Curved Pint Glass

This brew pours Gorgeous! Nice pale/straw body that is transparent as all get out. There was a nice white head that formed but quickly dissipated To a ring around the glass. Looks great for the Style.
The Aroma? Faint but mostly grain sweetness with a tap of green apples. Not bad but not really grabbing attention.

Da Flavah? Nice grab of Tart Green Apples hit first with a subtle sweetness. Touches of cheap Grains and Un-salted Crackers. Finishes sharp and not balanced with a dose of Astringency that reminds me of Witch Hazel. The feel of this brew is of course thin with harsh forced carbonation.

Overall: This isn't truly offensive for the style. It's down side is that it is too Astringent. Not even 211 Steel Reserve is as Astringent as this. I will drink this again when I desire the feel of a HG Cheap Buzz (I crave those once in a while). This brew is worth a shot.

3.1/5  rDev +27%

So I had a few beers while watching football on a Sunday. Saw this big can in the fridge and thought a Natural Light is a nice light beer to sip on over the course of a 3 hr. NFL game. About 1/2 way through I was feeling quite tipsy and though, "Natural Light can't get me this buzzed". So then I did a quick lookup on Beer Advocate only to realize that this wasn't just a 25oz can of Natural Light but a 8% Malt Liquor. That explained why I got hammered on a Sunday afternoon.

So for a $1.70 can of 8%ABV 25oz brew, its actually respectable all things considered. It took a while to realize I wasn't drinking usual InBev water barley beer. Although it said 8% ABV on can, I figured it was still a Natural Light but actualized for usual swill idiots that it was a 25 oz can. Turns out I was played the fool.

3.75/5  rDev +53.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Natty Daddy (8%) from Anheuser-Busch