Natty Daddy (8%) | Anheuser-Busch

Natty Daddy (8%)Natty Daddy (8%)
Liked This Beer
2.43 w/ 263 ratings
Natty Daddy (8%)Natty Daddy (8%)

Anheuser-Busch

2.43/5
Alströms:

3.5/5  rDev +44%

3.45/5  rDev +42%

Similar to Bud Light Platinum but tastes better. Easier to drink with way less nasty aftertaste. Goes down smooth for a cheap and strong beer. Really it does not have much taste but you can tell it's not a light beer. Just surprised it's better than Bud Light Platinum, unless I got a bad batch, and it's only 6% alc/volume not 8% unless it changed or something. Overall just an east drinking and strong cheap beer that competes with the other cheap and strong beers. Give this a chance you might like it. I just don't like the name it's trying too much.

3.44/5  rDev +41.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Surprisingly decent for a $cheap!$ beer, very drinkable even if I wouldn't brag about it. The 8% d oes the job of getting you trashed.secretly like a wino drinking MD 20/20 hide it in a brown paper bag and enjoy!

3.4/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I'm a big fan of Steel Reserve. Steel Reserve taste pretty bad (not nearly as bad as a Malt like Colt. 45), but it's cheap, and has a nice strong kick.
Anyway, my closest liquor store stopped selling them, and I was forced to pick up Natty Daddy at the time, seeing as it was the only canned beverage close to Steel Reserve in Alc./Vol. (8%, VS Steel Reserve's 8.1%)

My experiences in the past with Natty-brand beers have been unfavorable: Me and a friend had a horrible lousy evening trying out a 24 pack of Natty Ice, and the only other person I know who drinks Natty-brand regularly is the local whino. Most people I know, even in a moment of desperation, would think twice about picking up a Natty-brand beer. Especially one called "Natty Daddy", what the hell?

But I was surprised by this one. I picked it up out of frustration before, and a few days later [today], I decided to give it another try. I'm writing this review while half way through a can of Natty Daddy. (...GOD that's a stupid name)
It's a cheap Lager, that just about manages to have the kick of a Malt, and it's surprisingly smooth for one. The taste is the most un-offending out of any cheap beverages on this level that I've tried. It's obviously not good, but there is a satisfying level of refinement. Very surprising [I'm using that word a lot], for a cheap strong beverage.

In conclusion: there are better options out there, even for cheap beverages. But this is not nearly as bad as I expected out of a Natty brand. They did something right here, and I tip my hat to them for that.

3.36/5  rDev +38.3%

Reviewed to style - not my favorite style, but surprisingly good for the style!

Pulled up at my local and realized that my wallet was in my desk drawer at work. So, I dug through the ashtray for change - I found $2.fiddy. I see where this is going....

A: Served in the blue can it came in - proper drinkware for this IMHO. I'm sure there's some sorta concoction in there, do I really want to see it? 2.0 for the funky font on the can.

S: Wow! Granted it's not Stone Ruination, but for a Malt Liquor it's --- not awful! A bit of grain, some fruitiness - adjunct based alcohol? A whole lot of metallic canniness....(made that werd up meself!)

T: Pretty darn good! Tastes a lot like a somewhat old, low end lager to me. A lot of steely grain, not cloyingly sweet, 8% alcohol is well masked.

M: Lager - a tad oily at the end of the can, one was enough. Any more and it would get ugly quick.

O: I was shocked - I expected this to be on par with Steel Reserve, but it really wasn't horrible. It wasn't good, but considering that I got it with ashtray money, it was amazingly drinkable.

Recommended if you find yourself in my situation!

After reading a few of the other reviews, I really wish I'd been at County Line beach and drank this as StillBuff did! ROFL on the "...thoughts of doing bad sh*t..."

3.35/5  rDev +37.9%

Natty Daddy has a thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance, with a little bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is a sharp, sweet, corn husk smell, and the taste is sweet, yet not overly so, and one picks up grain, a nice hop bitterness at the end, and there is a mild alcohol under-taste. The mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and Natty Daddy finishes pretty crisp, clean, refreshing, and easy drinking. I can see how this could get someone in trouble. Overall, this is a winner for Anheuser-Busch.

RJT

3.34/5  rDev +37.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This product is great for what it is: a cheap, high-octane, malt liquor that's easy to swallow and carries a heavy punch. It's best for those days when you want to get drunk quickly for under four dollars. Around here, a can usually costs under 2 dollars and, when I drink it quickly, gives me a pretty nice buzz. Two cans and I'm officially drunk. Sure, it's not the best tasting beer, but what do you expect for something that costs less than most big bottles of soda. This is my goto cheap-ass beer.

3.32/5  rDev +36.6%

okay, let me start out by saying I have drank everything from boones farm to the highest end single malt scotch, I am a big fan of natural ice ... so I saw this and I had to try it, I will agree it is definitely no natural ice ... but, It is what it is... and that is a quick buzz in a can... or 2 to 3 cans, whatever... anyways, for what it is it is not half bad, but if I had a few extra bucks I would just slam a 12 pack of natural ice and call it a sure thing.

3.31/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.29/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A lot of the reviews on this beer are unfair. It has already been said, but this beer is not brewed for beer aficionados. I usually drink craft beers that are brewed for flavor, so this is different for me. This beer is a cheap 8% ABV beer that is marketed for the buzz over the flavor. I purchased it almost as a joke and felt like I was being brave in a way for drinking it. I'm not a total stranger to high gravity beers, but before I opened this Natty Daddy, I didn't expect to be able finish it.

This is so much better than I would have ever thought! It will give you a quick buzz and the flavor and mouthfeel aren't so bad. Personally, I would use this as a pregamer for sporting events and concerts. I'd much rather drink a 24oz of this before going into a venue than overspend stale tasting bud lights inside.

I recommend this for people who would like to get buzzed fast or would like to catch a buzz on a budget. This will get you drunk.

3.28/5  rDev +35%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- What you would expect, straw yellow/gold with a fluffy head that lingers.

Smell- Faint aroma of corn, bread, sugar, and yeast.

Taste- Follows the nose, but it's actually quite pleasant, like drinking liquified bread sweetened with a touch of sugar.

Feel- Very full bodied for the style, which I love.

Overall- As far as cheap malt liquors go, this is my standby.

3.25/5  rDev +33.7%

This is what Bud Light Platinum should taste like...

why this is in the American Malt Liquor category is a bit odd...this is a lager...i will review it as such.

24oz can bought at Stripes in Lubbock Texas for $1.29...on sale when it was first released. its $1.99 now.

easily the best in the Natural line...drinks like a Natty Ice but not a horrible afterbite like a Natty Ice...it leaves a typical lager aftertaste...not much at all

This is a incredibly smooth and light lager for 8.0%

the taste isnt outstanding but its not bad...one of the best A-B brands. Natty Daddy and Hurricane High Grav are where its at for economy drinking,ABV and some sort of flavor when it comes to the big brewers

If they lowered the price a tad in some areas,itd be the goto drunkfest beer for the college set.

Its worth a try once...its way better than Natural Ice...that being said...its slightly above average.lol

3.25/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.24/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Anheuser-Busch "Natty Daddy"

The "Natty Daddy" name harkens back to "Natural Light" which was introduced by Anheuser-Busch in 1977 as their first foray into the light or "diet" beer category, just 2 years behind Miller's national roll-out of Miller Lite.

Oddly, A-B took their light beer brand and turned it inside out and upside down in 1995, creating a secondary "Natural Ice" beer with 157 calories at 5.9% versus the original "Natural Light" at just 95 calories and 4.2%.

To put everything in perspective, Miller Lite was also 4.2% at 96 calories; and Bud Light followed 7 years later with the same 4.2% at 110 calories. Additionally, there was a "Dry beer" war that started in 1989; and A-B also introduced Bud Ice and Bud Ice Light in '94.

Why they would confuse their initial light beer's standing by using the same name for a secondary entry into the burgeoning "ice beer" category? I don't know, but it does somehow make sense that they would morph it now into an "American malt liquor" following the introduction of... what did I call it?... the "American light malt liquor" category that includes Budweiser Select and Labatt Bleu Royale.

At 8% abv. and 181 calories, Natty Daddy clearly fits the guidelines of a malt liquor, and yet it doesn't taste quite like you might expect. It's more refined. It's fruity, and there's a very limited amount of high fermentation characteristics, but beyond that it's really quite easy to drink. It's sweetish with more of an apple juice flavor than corn, and it's surprisingly smooth. The alcohol is present, but of course it needs to be - it wouldn't be an American malt liquor without a little 'edge'.

Overall, I live in a college town and the street are littered with these each and every Friday and Saturday night, so they must be doing something right. And at least they're cans rather than glass. I'll pass, but I'll also say that it's far from the worst malt liquor I've ever tasted.

3.17/5  rDev +30.5%

24 oz can into a frosted mug. $1.40, 8% abv!!! Ohhh yeah!!

A - Dark straw yellow body with a fluffy white head. Lots of head...

S - Sweet corn, grain, and a touch of bready malts. Not bad.

T - Sweet corn and bready malts. I actually find myself enjoying the flavor? Interesting. Mouth feel is watery and light, refreshing with little evidence of the high abv.

O - One of the better malt liquors I've had. Not bad.

3.17/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 4.75

I like this stuff usually its pretty affordable or cheap enough you know. and if you drink a few of these things you get feeling pretty good, does get you sort of weird and sometimes tired so must be careful with this but it is cheap so really is pretty good

3.15/5  rDev +29.6%

24oz can
Served in a nonic pint

A - Clear, pale and yellow. Voluptuous white head.

S - Grain and some alcohol.

T - It actually had some taste compared to the Light version. I get some grain and alcohol.

M - Thin

O - For all intents and purposes this reminds me of an ice beer.

3.15/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

(25 oz can, poured into a Chouffe tulip)

L: head sizzles out, quick and loud... very pale, yellow-brass color liquid, very clear-filtered... seriously looks like water with a few drops of gold food dye... appears almost entirely still

S: champagne, stomach acid... wet leaves, un-buttery Ritz crackers... very little booze, background hint of corn syrup... not all that unlike the malt and ester aromas of a Belgian lager

T: has the requisite malt liquor flavors, just quite fuzzy-dull around the edges... somewhat watery finish, certainly dry... marginal hint of phenolic spice... alcohol well-hidden... the malt backbone is ok, just lacking hi-definition

F: smooth and marginally tingly... bit of bitterness and alcohol warmth lingering toward back of palate... pretty damn dry finish and afterglow... a little parching, overall

O: maybe the palest and clearest malt liquor I've encountered (if that means anything)... looks like champagne, tastes like a malt sports drink... the taste doesn't pop nor have the malt depth that my faves do... it does kinda grow on ya toward the end, but it's too slow out of the gate... but I'd have one again, if necessary

3.13/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I bought a case of this stuff at Walmart in Butte, Mt for about 14 bucks- that's 58 cents a can, folks! I don't think I've seen this for sale anywhere else around here. This beer has an ABV of "only" 6 percent.

A semi-aggressive pour from a 12 ounce can into a shaker pint produces enough head to fill the glass. This quickly reduces to a ring of lace around the sides and a little wispy island. The beer is a pale straw color with light carbonation.

The aroma has a distinct whiff of DMS suggesting corn but also a bit of a fruity alcohol aroma. The flavor is quite mild and easy to drink with just a tad bit of wet cardboard flavor. There is a distinct sweetness and boozy fruitiness, with grainy flavors lingering in the aftertaste. The mouth feel is slightly spritzy and even a little creamy on the tongue.

This beer is quite drinkable and even at a mere 6 percent ABV could be dangerous. I think I've discovered my new favorite ultra-cheap beer!

3.13/5  rDev +28.8%

OK...Lets face it man,this is not a Beer you drink and savor the flavor,this is a "Malt Liquor" you chill ICE F87king Cold and slam! it will get you where you want to be VERY Fast,and for about a buck 25 a 25oz can what can you bitch about? you must drink this stuff ICE COLD,Because as it warms it gets that "Malt Liquor" sweet,sick,nasty tatse to it..yuck! but ICE COLD? not half bad @ all~and it will "Kick your ass" so know this..lmao~beerwolf666*[jammimg some "the morningside~ 14}

3.12/5  rDev +28.4%

Curiousity and a general desire to be young and without responsibility lead me to purchase just one of these little jewels from my local money-laudering-mart. Alas, I'm niether young nor without significant responsibility, so I will enjoy this mildly sweet high test malt beverage, and hope none of my esteemed friends or colleagues ever make the connection between my BA gang name and my true identity.

Pleasantly surprised. When compared to a baseline of it's peers, it performs admirably well. I taste only the faintest hint of barley derived flavor...everything else is pure adjunct flavoring. The surprise is that it is so well balanced that I can not pinpoint the bastardized sugar source. Well done, Natty.

Mouthfeel is crisp cool and dangerously refreshing.

Best Malt liquor on the market.

3.1/5  rDev +27.6%

So I had a few beers while watching football on a Sunday. Saw this big can in the fridge and thought a Natural Light is a nice light beer to sip on over the course of a 3 hr. NFL game. About 1/2 way through I was feeling quite tipsy and though, "Natural Light can't get me this buzzed". So then I did a quick lookup on Beer Advocate only to realize that this wasn't just a 25oz can of Natural Light but a 8% Malt Liquor. That explained why I got hammered on a Sunday afternoon.

So for a $1.70 can of 8%ABV 25oz brew, its actually respectable all things considered. It took a while to realize I wasn't drinking usual InBev water barley beer. Although it said 8% ABV on can, I figured it was still a Natural Light but actualized for usual swill idiots that it was a 25 oz can. Turns out I was played the fool.

3.07/5  rDev +26.3%

From the 24 fl. oz. can stamped 293-NB80. Sampled on December 17, 2011. Another American Malt Liquor to pound down from the brown bag! And it pours yellow with lots of fizz that fizzles fast. It is important to review this based on style rather than on who brews it. When I first break open the can I get an almost pear-like fruitness. But after I pour it into the my Retro Miller pint glass it becomes a typical grainy aroma with a sniff of yeast, bread, and clean, crisp hops sliding in from the backside. The texture is in the medium range and when swirling it on my tongue it turns to carbonated bubbles in about ten seconds. The taste is very much in tune with the malt liquor style with its pungent grainy and clean hop bite but it does not leave a sour aftertaste like so many other malt liquors. For a craft beer it gets a low rating. But strictly by style it is a tad better than others in this category.

3.04/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

For a cheap ($1.79) can at 8%, it's really not that bad. If you're okay with drinking cheap domestics, this one does just fine. Packs a decent punch. Average malty taste, nothing too exciting.

Natty Daddy (8%) from Anheuser-Busch