Bud Light Platinum

Bud Light PlatinumBud Light Platinum
Notes:
Reviews: 367 | Ratings: 1,942
2.95/5  rDev +34.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I give it a 3.25 for what it is. It does look pretty nice and not disgusting, and the carbonation lasts and is substantial which is a big deal with this. I smell a slight aroma of corn and malt syrup and alcohol ( can you smell rice or taste it in a beer?) , Taste is very neutral, but to it's credit, not what I would say overtly watery and has a modertaly good body / feel. Oh, and this thing gives you a swift kick in the butt and gets you a decided beer buzz straight away. Perfect for a broiling hot Texas summer day, when you don't want water, but you don't want, exactly , a beer per se, but which must be drank close to freezing, otherwise it gets kind of nasty.
Overall, I would not buy it again-it was on sale for 6.99, I see how if the weather was , like scorching, you could see some kind of refinement in the " triple filtered" brewing which makes for , how do you say, more quenching and clean, crisp drink without washing out on the palate, but overall, regular Bud light is overall better IMO, and I do like freezing cold
regular Bud Light, Coors, and Miller Light on a brutally hot day. There should be some kind of comparison thread on those three AAL's someplace.

2.66/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear straw with a finger of white foam. Head retention is good. Aroma is corn, rye, bread and alcohol. Flavor profile is corn, bread, grain, spicy hops, white rice and alcohol on the back. Mouth feel is crisp with a softness around the edges. It has a medium-thin consistency. Overall, a little heavy on the alcohol, which disrupts the balance.

Reviewed on Beers by BeerAdvocate.

1.95/5  rDev -11%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

We all know what Bud Light is all about: fueling frat boys on game day, and Nascar junkies on Sunday. And if you ask Raul, is that a bad thing? He thinks not. Now, Bud Light ain’t gonna be poured at any royal wedding, and hell, I hope it isn’t being poured at my boy Deekpot’s bachelor shindig next weekend. But now we aren’t taking about Regular Bud Light, we are talking about his Mack daddy - Bud Platinum. Verdict? Someone bribed the jury on this one to let him free cuz this dang sucker is rank! Regular Bud is just plain and average. But this dang sucker is plain for a second, then it turns into a beer brewed by Windex. No sir! No how! Never again for Raul.

Peace!

3.69/5  rDev +68.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

(22 oz blue bottle, twist off crown, code 19044; purchased cold... poured into a 28 oz mug)

L: polished-clear, pale gold liquid; tall, rocky, near pure white foam stand on pour, but it slowly crumbles apart... thin collar keeps, but little-to-no lacing... I get the blue bottle pretension, but just put this in a (blue) tallboy can where it belongs

S: delicate but forward phenolic spice (bubblegum, musty too?), champagne and/or dry cider-like note; otherwise, smells like a pale ice beer; subdued grain/malt aroma

T: apple skin and bland cereal mush combo up front, flash of softly musty spice in the finish... a few sips in, and those fade off and it's mostly a mildly-doughy, pseudo sugar-cookie affair - that taste lingers for awhile between sips, along with mild bubblegum and metallic notes... a touch less dry than a generic light lager

F: foamy touch; light-medium bodied, almost chewy midway... very easy drinking, very subtle alcohol warmth, relatively bone dry, but not watery-thin

O: more 'robust' than regular Bud Light for sure - this is more of an Ice version of it... got better as it went, relatively speaking, but its taste sits in a spot where I wanted either more (complex malts) or less (flavor) out of it (1430)

3.34/5  rDev +52.5%

Totally reasonable, simple beer for the summer. 6% ABV is nice, and the beer itself tastes a little nicer than bud light but a little less heavy than Budweiser. I like to have this around for hot summer days.

I'm giving this a 5 because I want to drink low calorie beer that gets the job done...

It smells riper than my sack after 3 days without a shower. It tastes like vinegar. But does it keep me in shape and happy? YES! YES DAMNIT!

2.1/5  rDev -4.1%

I’m guilty of buying this on occasion! It’s not terrible, pours like water and drinks the same. However at 6% it has some value and can drink lots

3.31/5  rDev +51.1%

Remember being a naive college student and not understanding ABV (and also just not checking). Because of this I got absolutely fucked up on 6 Bud Light Platinums (and some liquor) in a couple hours. Pretty much like Bud Light, just more alcohol and a bit of a better taste and smoothness. I would drink it again if it was the only alcohol at a BBQ or outdoor event in the summer.

2.58/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't like Budweiser or Bud Light, but I had a co-worker who didn't like those beers either tell me that Bud Light Platinum was actually pretty decent and recommended I try it. So I picked up a bottle and I was surprised. It's not great, but it's drinkable and the flavor is inoffensive. Frankly, it tasted like a dull Shock Top, and I kind of like Shock Top. It has a smooth flavor, a seltzer-like mouthfeel, and has flavors kind of similar to wheat style beers, albeit a lot less powerful. At least that was my impression. I wouldn't seek it out again, but if I had it around I'd definitely drink it. Get this instead of Bud Light or Budweiser. And if you also don't like Bud, give this a try. You may be surprised.

2.26/5  rDev +3.2%

22oz blue bottled 242 2018 (about 8 months ago) poured into a quart sized Spuds MacKenzie mug at fridge temp 6% ABV. The beer pours bright pale straw yellow with nearly white head that fizzled out quickly. A small island of tiny bubbles remain leaving no lacing. The aroma is malt liquoresque with some heavy corn and sulfur. The taste is sweetish, then tart, then profoundly sweet again on the finish. No malt or hops per se. Mouthfeel is medium to thin bodied, adequately carbonated and totally undry in the finish. Overall, not good. Get this one nice and cold and give it a minute to let the foulish aroma dissipate.

2.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Got a six pack of this from a friend who said his wife bought it for him and he didn't want it. I took it, and after one taste, knew I had made a mistake. I don't know the words to describe it. Just say it's not terrible, but closer to that than average.

4.94/5  rDev +125.6%

Surprisingly good and bolder flavor than regular Bud Light.
I was expecting this beer to be siltzer water but no way. A good hint of flavor very similar to King Cobra. Let's start with the presentation. I don't like the look of the bottle or the aluminum bottle at all. Why should I even comment on the color, the foamy head or the triple filtering? Everyone knows what a American Adjunct Lager looks like.What really annoys me is the BUD LIGHT name itself. I wish Budweiser wouldn't slap that logo on everything they want to push. I guess if it sales. Thats my little rant. Moving along we go to the aroma. On the nose, the smell is clean and somewhat crisp with hints of white bread and a corn syrup smell. A tiny bit of yeast and clean water. Now for the taste. Up front you get a nice clean and refreshing spring water with crispness. What follows is a bready malt with a pleasant floral note and a semi dry clean finish. On the back end you get a tiny acetone wang but its not a deal breaker. Seems to be a slight syrup thing going on as well but I can't pinpoint it exactly. The feel is what makes this beer a winner in my book. Refreshing crispness and a medium body leaning toward the lighter end. Very smooth and easy to drink. What I enjoyed the most was that the beer was not too filling and so I didn't feel like a stuffed pig after drinking the 16oz bottle. Overall it's a great beer, not the best mind you. Getting down to it, the beer is very similar to King Cobra and most people probably couldn't tell a difference. The price for platinum is ridiculous. Good beer, but please explore more options!

I drove all the way here and all you have for me is light beer! I like it and it once again a welcome break from all the overwhelming variety of craft brews! Still not as good as Hamm's though!

2.5/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Very disappointing. Looked pale yellow with some foamy head, smelled slightly skunky and not that appetizing. Tastes of corn, malt and grain. Too sweet and that really hits you in the aftertaste. Not much else in the way of mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. I honestly couldn’t notice much difference between this one and the regular Bud Light.

3.25/5  rDev +48.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I will have to go back to this one sometime and see if I can give it a higher score. Liked the 6 percent alcohol but wasn’t thrilled with the taste that much. Something off about it. I like Bud Light but something was just weird about the taste of this one. Cheers.

3.64/5  rDev +66.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Very clear gold on the pour with some visible carbonation. Initial two fingers of white head crackling away into the beer.

The smell is a bit sweet and grainy. Other than that not much noted.

The taste is a lot like the smell. A bit sweet and grainy. Seems to have a bit more of the AAL taste than a light beer.

Mouth feel is a bit chewy and the beer finishes a bit slick and kind of hold onto the back of the throat for just a bit.

I will admit that this beer is actually fairly decent. Probably not something I would purchase again or seek out yet I am glad I tried it out. The aroma is very faint and the taste really follows the aroma. I guess this is maybe where the light term applies. My calorie count is stamped 137 per 12 oz. serving on my pint can. Not real sure about other light beers as I have not really paid attention to calorie counts on my beers. I would just reason out that since this has a 6% ABV that the calorie count would be higher than other light beers. That may or may not be something that could influence the shopper. Again a decent beer and may just fit what you are looking for. Cheers!

2.91/5  rDev +32.9%

It goes without saying the beer world is feeled with amazing beers, but Bud Platinum is just average at best. It is a good beer to go with if your wallet just won't let you get the higher priced beer.

1.25/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

The one and only Bud Light Platinum that I ever had smelled and tasted like it came right out of a skunk’s butt. I truly did not enjoy it, and yet it somehow still tasted better than a regular Bud Light.

3.06/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

25 ounce can into lager glass, canned on 2/18/2018. Pours crystal clear pale golden yellow color with a 1 finger fairly dense and fluffy white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Good appearance. Aromas of cracker, white bread, light biscuit, and mild herbal/grassy earthiness. A bit too lemon/pear fruity, but not too overwhelming. Poor aromas with pale malt/grains and mild earthy hop notes; with decent strength. Taste of cracker, white bread, light biscuit, and mild herbal/grassy earthiness. Very mild herbal, grassy bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of cracker, white bread, light biscuit, and mild herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Solid robustness of pale malt/grains and mild earthy hop flavors; with a good malt/bitterness balance, and zero cloying/astringent flavors after the finish. Moderately crisp/clean finishing. Nicely clean on lager flavors, no too fruity. Light-moderate increasing dryness from lingering bitterness and carbonation. Medium-high carbonation and light-medium body; with a very smooth, fairly bready/grainy, and slightly sticky mouthfeel that is good. A bit thin, but not watery finish. Slight touch of lingering alcohol warmth through the glass. Overall this is an okay imperial light lager. All around solid robustness of pale malt/grains and mild earthy hop flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing to drink for the ABV. Definitely tastes like a light beer. Feels more bland than I expected for the ABV. Clean malt/grains and mild earthy hop balance. A fairly enjoyable offering, well made for the style.

2.96/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bud Light Platinum was my first-ever go-to beer. Every day after school during my senior year, my dad would stop by the gas station and get us one (yeah, shame on me). So in that sense, it's very nostalgic.

Despite my disdain for regular Bud Light, you'd be surprised to know I actually hold a positive opinion of this beer. I'm not sure what they did to improve it, but this honest to goodness stands out from the mainstream lager crowd in some ways. The look is fairly similar to regular BL, but the scent is much better. I picked up some smoky tones with a bit of sweetness. Taste was similar, and it went down fairly smooth with moderate carbonation. It isn't nearly as watery as regular BL either. As it is on the stronger side, you will get some alcohol taste, naturally. Unlike BL which is regularly consumed by the case, just one of these will have you feelin' pretty good, and that's a good thing due to the higher price point.

Though it's long-since been replaced as my go-to and obviously isn't as good as the higher-tier stuff, it ain't bad either. This is something I'd willingly revisit someday, and proof that something good can come from BL.

2.28/5  rDev +4.1%

Its not as bad as I would have guessed but its still a crappy beer. The best thing it has going for it is its 6% abv. Its also not cheap so that kinda sucks too.

1.06/5  rDev -51.6%

A few years ago this was my go to beer. Easily accessible and got the job done. This was when it was available in the aluminum bottles. Something is just not right with the glass bottle or regular cans though. Glass you are almost guaranteed to get pure skunk and the can has a horrible taste and smell that I can only describe as embalming fluid like. I would avoid at all costs unless you live in a market that still has the aluminum bottles available. As is I give it a generous 1 but aluminum bottles I would give it a solid 4.

4.11/5  rDev +87.7%

This beer is good. The bottle looks cool with it's awesome blue bottle. It taste great for a light beer that is made by a large company. The taste is always consistent, unlike some smaller brewers I have had. The higher alcohol is un-noticeable with the much better taste over a bud light / budweiser. If you are looking for a cheap beer that is good, high alcohol, and cheap, this is a clear winner from me.

1.75/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Looks, smells and tastes kinda sweet, bland, light and watery. If you just want a cheap buzz, this will do it. But there are better beers in this price range.

3.2/5  rDev +46.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Lots of alcohol in this one. Bud Light Platinum is crisp tasting and bland, and somewhat sweet. It has a alcohol aftertaste if anything. If you want to get drunk off a six pack and not face too many down sides, this product, which is hard to call a beer, would work. You could also mix vodka with club soda for the same taste and effect. I'm not sure what to say. It's like Icehouse without the character. But it is a good sneaky beer to drink around the house because it is pretty strong and you don't need to pound them down to feel pretty good. This is the beer to drink in front of your in-laws. Four of these is like drinking 6-7 light beers essentially, and since it doesn't have any flavor to speak of, you can drink it without smelling like a brewery. The quality and consistency of AB products is always high whether it's your type of beer or not. You get what you expect every time. Platinum is not my favorite kind of beer. It is a good beer to give to a non beer drinker if you want to get the party started. They won't hate it. There are some pluses and minuses to this product. It is not a beer drinker's beer by any stretch. I'm not sure why this beer exists, but it seems to have a lot of shelf space. This is the type of beer you'd give to Sheldon on Big Bang Theory to get him to be less weird. Lots of energy but not a lot of individuality to this beer. It is a fascinating product to me because of its focus on no flavor and high alcohol. Strange combination of attributes. If you buy Platinum for yourself you might have somewhat of a drinking problem and be headed to living in a van by the river because the only thing this beer offers of interest is alcohol. Maybe a good beer for golfing if you are in to that or other activities where your hands are tied like grilling and you don't have a lot of stand around time and can't be carrying and opening a bunch of bottles, but just grab a quick one.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch