Bud Light Platinum | Anheuser-Busch

2.22/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,867 |  Reviews: 343

3.08/5  rDev +38.7%

The taste is just off. I prefer Bud or regular Bud Light to this one TBH.

3.08/5  rDev +38.7%

Calories=137. Carbohydrates=4.4 grams. 6.0% ALC./VOL. As a type 2 diabetic who still loves to drink beer this offers a decent alternative to most low carb options. It is very crisp with some more flavor than most low carb beers. Still very light though. The alcohol content is surprising as it doesn't taste much like an ice beer or high gravity lager. It is light years from my unfortunately now rare passion Duvel. But it does offers a lot more in many ways to those of us who must watch carbs for health reasons. Considering that Bud Light is the #1 selling beer, my guess is that Platinum will be a huge marketing success for AB-InBev.

3.07/5  rDev +38.3%

Better than bud light but that's not saying much

3.07/5  rDev +38.3%

I was expecting a little bit more when I first tried this beer. I enjoy bud lite to an extend and was hoping this would add a little more flavor and profile than a typical bud lite. It is a little heavier but overall I thought the taste was similar to that of bud lite, wasnt a huge fan of the Platinums.

3.05/5  rDev +37.4%

Bud Light Platinum
16. oz. can, coded "14226 SH23"

Poured into a clean glass Bud Light Platinum delivers a nice looking pint with a straw gold body beneath a short head of bright white foam. The head drops readily but maintains a solid surface covering. The lacing is limited but it does leave some nice craggy splashes behind.

The aroma is clean, and expresses only sweetish adjunct malt with a hint of apple-like fruitiness.

The flavor is quite a surprise! My initial impression was that it tasted like a malt liquor... a watered down malt liquor, but one with that sweetish adjunct-laden maltiness that lingers in the mouth because there are very little hops present. It's fruity and sweet, without any noticeable hop flavors at all, and a very low bitterness level to balance it out. Odd.

In the mouth it's medium bodied and smooth with a very moderate carbonation. If I hold the glass to the light I can see tiny bubbles steadily streaming upwards but there are not nearly as many as might be expected, especially for a light beer, which should be crisp.

So what's going on here? If you read the can it states that it's 6.0% ALC./VOL., which is very odd for a light beer, and it's also got 137 calories and 4.4 grams of carbs per 12 oz. serving (thank you A-B for including that, sincerely). I had to get my head around this so I put together a list:

110 calories in Bud Light @ 4.2% abv
137 calories in Bud Light Platinum @ 6.0% abv
145 calories in Budweiser @ 5.0% abv
158 calories in Hurricane @ 5.8% abv

So what we have here is basically a 'light malt liquor'. Is this a new American style of beer?

Unless the cost difference between Hurricane Malt Liquor and Bud Light Platinum is pretty great, I can't imagine anyone going for the Hurricane. The Bud Light Platinum is clean, and actually delivers a slightly bigger punch.

So how to rate this? I generally look at the whole world of beer as a guideline, meaning that there are poorly made beers that suffer from defects, and then there are pristine examples of certain styles that have a certain 'je ne sais quoi' of magic to them that exemplify the 'creme de la creme'. An OK beer then scores a "3" as a "3" is average, and on that world-scale a standard Budweiser scores a bit higher at about 3.5. As far as a 'light malt liquor' goes I think this is really the only one. Compared to other malt liquors it's pretty damned good, but if we look at it just as 'a beer' thrown into the world mix it comes out short. I think for what it is it's not bad. I find no defects with it, and I thought it was much more drinkable than a lot of malt liquors.

I'm not sure I have an answer to this one yet, but I'm gonna stick with "okay" until something else pops up.

3.04/5  rDev +36.9%

3.04/5  rDev +36.9%

3.03/5  rDev +36.5%

Light straw colored lager. Completely transparent. Descent head after a rough pour. Better retention than expected and actually has a few spots of lacing.

Smells is super clean. Rice, white corn and a touch of citrus fruits.

Flavor, again, clean. Mostly rice. Mildly citric hop does a descent job balancing the nearly non-existent malt character. Crisp, clean finish. No rough aftertaste. Alcohol is virtually indetectable.

Light as light can be. Absolutely zero body or texture. Thinner than water. Descent carbonation. Wet feel throughout.

Crisp, clean and refreshing with no off tastes. That's about all the positives I can say about this beer. For an American adjunct light lager, its very slightly better than average.

I was at a 40th soiree tonight and there wan't much choice so I went with something I had not tried...the budlight platinum. The beer poured a clear solid yellow with initial fizzy head that disipated quickly and left no lace. The smell was typical of most light lager....hints of wheat and grass. The taste was a bit fuller than typical bud light which is an improvement. The mouthfeel was still lighter with big carbonation. Overall it was drinkable.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This beer is a marketing scam. Bud Light hypes up this beer to make it out to be a special edition Bud Light beer but i prefer regular Bud Light rather than this stuff. I don't know what is was about this beer but after getting all excited about the bottle and the look, its a real disappointment when you actually taste it.

How this is only ranked one point higher than Miller Lite I'll never know. It has a lot more flavor than Miller Lite and the hint of sweetness is pretty nice.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch