Bud Light Platinum | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Light Lager

Added by DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Reviews: 335 | Ratings: 1,822
2.38/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Pours out a clear, yellow body with a small, fizzly, white head that doesn't stick around for long. A few trails of effervescence fail to support the head.

Smell: Just a small sniff of husky bland barley and booze.

Taste: Faintly grainy with a scant cereal sweetness. A little booze. It's akin to a baby malt liquor. Sweetish, lightly husky, lightly astringent finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: It's bad when a beer makes you want a Bud Light.

2.25/5  rDev -1.3%

Anheuser-Bush sure can market a product! This beer accomplishes the goal of what I believe many of the drinkers who buy this product want to accomplish, get a buzz faster. I was suckered into purchasing this beer from the marketing campaign and the electric blue bottle. This beer tastes much like its Bud Light roots a rice/corn blended taste with an almost malt-liquor mouth feel. Many people who enjoy Bud Light will probably enjoy this as well.

3.31/5  rDev +45.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours an extremely clear, pale yellow hue with a humungous, billowing, pillowy bright white head that slowly fizzed away into a faint scum. Sparse soapy lace.
S: Not much. I get a hint of some yeast and peppery spice. Very light.
T: Sweet and doughy notes of lightly bready malt and a hint of peppery, spicy, hops and lager yeast. Not much to the taste but it seems sweeter and breadier than normal BL.
M: Body is fuller than regular BL and the mouthfeel is less watery. Carbonation is definitely fuller as well although I would say its fuller when drinking straight out of the bottle than poured into the glass.
O: I find Coors to be better than Budweiser in general because I get a nasty aftertaste in AB products. This however, was actually quite clean and crisp. Given the choice, this trumps regular BL. Pretty drinkable actually, and not terrible as it warms.

1.97/5  rDev -13.6%

pours out of the blue bottle a pale straw yellow colour with a quickly dissipating snow white head leaving no lace. corny, cereal aroma...a bit of a highly attentuated malt liquor aroma. the taste is also reminiscent of malt liquor...sweet adjunct taste, sort of unpleasant actually. i like the occasional malt liquor, but mostly stick with miller products as A-B varieties just mostly taste bad to me. and this one is really no different. shallow body and a semi-cloying, carbonated mouthfeel. drinakability really isn't that good either. i drank this after a long walk when i knew i would be thirsty, and it did not hit the spot, as say, regular Budweiser often does for me.

overall a disappointment, and i wasn't expecting much. i hope my wife wants to drink the rest of six pack.

2.06/5  rDev -9.6%

Felt bad to ask for a glass. So I didn't. It was free, thanks Valencio.

Smelled like apple and wet cardboard. Soggy grains, wet cereal.
Tasted similar, more apple and soggy graininess. It has a touch more malt flavor than standard issue Bud Light. Mild taste, flaccid feel, utterly dull and insipid flavor wise. Biting astringent carbonation, watery aftertaste. Pretty much bullshit any way you slice it... whee, liquid garbage.

1.53/5  rDev -32.9%

Really not much to say that I'm sure hasn't been said already. No real appearance to speak of. Not really any smell or taste that I'm guessing was the intention. Overall really just a alcohol delivery device. And I'm my opinion not a very good one. Bourbon works faster and taste better in my opinion.

1.3/5  rDev -43%

Generally, I go through and do a pretty detailed job on my beer reviews. To me, beer reviewing is as much art as science, and I take a lot of pride in my reviews. I take notes, I do my homework on the styles, I really enjoy tasting, drinking, and reviewing beer.

That beng said, I am not going to waste a lot of energy on this review. I try to avoid reviewing too many macro products, although this is not my first, but I kind of think it's a little lame. Anyway...

This beer looks a lot like any other macro when you pour it. Straw colored, very clear, no real head or lacing. It eally doesn't smell like much at all. Maybe corn or some slight grains.

It pretty much tastes like a thicker, nastier version of Bud Light. Not a huge fan of either product. Highly carbonated finish.

Overall, this beer is not good. I got this beer from a party where the buyer (not me) didn't want it (I wonder why), so I took it home. Six free beers, why not? For the price I have seen this selling for, no way. If I'm going macro, give me Busch Light, Coors, or Natty.

1.06/5  rDev -53.5%

I picked up a 12 pack in bottles because I was curious about Bud coming out with a 6% abv AND they offered a $4.00 rebate. I thought, I'll give it try for $8.00 since it's the holidays and I like to keep a few lite fizzy beers on hand for my family. In a word...terrible. It has no smell, taste, mouthfeel, lacing or head. I can honestly say that I would never recommend this beer to anyone.

2.22/5  rDev -2.6%

12 Ounce blue bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Light yellow in color with a white head that disappears really fast

Smell: It has a little bit of an odd, almost hard cider, type smell to it. Being that it is not a hard cider it seems a little strange, but it may be just an alcohol scent more then anything.

Taste: There is an initial taste that is almost alcohol type taste that fades fairly quick leaving little else. There is a little bit of a sweetness that might be described as more of a corn sweetness more then anything.

Note: As far as macro beers go, I actually do like Bud products. I am glad I tried this but it probably would not be something I would get again. If I had a choice between this and Bud Light I would take the regular Bud Light.

1.03/5  rDev -54.8%

Wow, just wow! Let's take a bad product increase the strength but make it taste worse. I think they've done that. It was fizzy, yellow and clear. Smells like....nothing. Corn, maybe? It tasted like corn and water. Mouthfeel is fizzy and highly carbonated. Overall, this is just as bad if not worse than Bud Light. Simply amazing.

2.19/5  rDev -3.9%

Got this as an extra in a trade with youradhere. Thanks Jim! I think...

12oz bottle.

A- Pours a crystal clear light golden color with a sudsy white foam that fizzles away to a ring.

S- There is almost zero aroma to this beer. I think I can pick out a faint grain smell with some seltzer water. Not much else going on.

T- Mostly sweetness in the taste with a touch of rice and cereal grain. Enough alcohol in the finish to notice.

M- Light bodied with moderate carbonation.

O- I've certainly had worse beers but I won't have this one again any time soon. Thanks to my trading partner I won't have to waste money on my own 6pk.

1.98/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance: Foamy, flat malt liquor. Kind of soapy looking.

Smell: Skunky malt liquor. The closest thing to King Cobra I've smelled.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I would rank this lower, but I walked around the Vegas Strip with this stuff, so it had that sort of appeal. Roasted cereal grain with some vinegary qualities. Felt decently carbonated at first, but went real flat and warm quickly.

Overall Drinkability: Pretty awful, but it is a novelty. Not worth it though.

1.92/5  rDev -15.8%

Just bought my first pack of this. The 6.0% alcohol caught my attention on the commercials but overall this beer is pretty disappointing. Less taste than Bud Light but more alcohol... interesting. You can really taste the booze in this, it's almost like a weak mixed drink. No real beer taste tho. Disappointing.

1.45/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Bottle (2012)

Big thanks to Alucard4 for the gift!

A very light straw color. No head, even after an incredibly aggressive pour. Leaves the glass nearly clean.

Very little aroma whatsoever. Smells a bit like bread or corn but that might be my imagination. There certainly isn't much.

The taste follows the nose which means there isn't much here at all. No bitterness, very little malt, and corn. This is awful.

The mouthfeel is similar to water.

Worse than Bud Light. Better than Bud Light Chelada. There you have it.

2.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: A crystal clear pale straw color with a fizzy white head.

S: Sweet grain/rice/corn aromas with a touch of earthy hop.

T: A big sweet grainy corn/rice flavor with a tiny bit of hop in the finish.

M: soda

O: Well, it's better than plain Bud Light. It's got that going for it...which is nice.

1.75/5  rDev -23.2%

A half finger head forms. The smell is of barely. Taste is sweeter than bud light with a less bitter aftertaste.The beer tastes and looks watered down but really its just lack of hop flavoring. Far more watered down than its non-light version just like bud light.

1.95/5  rDev -14.5%

12 oz. cobalt blue bottle.

Exceedingly clear and clean light straw body. Small, thin, fizzy, eggshell white head. No lacing. Sweetish nose with notes of honey, corn Chex cereal, and a little singed caramel. Faint hop skunkiness.

Light malt sweetness up front. Some honey, but turns to sugar-dusted corn cereal pretty quick. Light graininess near the finish, along with a hint of ethanol and a blip of peppery hops. Light-bodied, with a fizzy, soda-y feel. Corny overall. I don't really understand why this beer exists (marketing and niche wise--light malt liquor might be a better "style"), and I also don't understand why anyone would try it again. Not terrible, but not good.

2.88/5  rDev +26.3%

Appearance - Light yellow, and a stark-white soapy that dissipates into a small ring.

Aroma - Sweet, adjuncts. A lot like Natural Ice, but much less pleasant.

Taste - Grains, a little alcohol, sweetness, a slight bit of barley malt, and lots of adjuncts.

Finish - Clean, crisp, refreshing, dry.

1.48/5  rDev -35.1%

A: Interesting blue bottle. Don't see that too often. Pours golden yellow. Very clear. Light white foamy head that disappears almost instantly.

S: Corn, lots of sweet corn.

T: Malts, more of that sweet corn. This stuff is really sweet.

M: Watery, flat. Almost no carbonation here. A long lingering sweet aftertaste

O: It's kind of bad... I think I prefer a normal bud light, this is just too sweet for my taste.

Poured this "beer" from is blue bottle into my Sam Adam's perfect pint glass. Bought it because I had to try this platinum beer, the guy at the store really tried to sell me a whole 6pack since "its really good. It tastes like Bud Light with a kick, kinda boozy but good" The same guy who has watched me come in and go straight to the craft and only purchase craft.

A- Pours perfectly urine yellow with no head, no lacing. Has an odd bright, almost florescent color in the glass. Definately brighter than a normal BL. Maybe the extra corn syrup.

S- Smells like stale swill that is a day old in a bar mat, with some cheap Popov vodka spilled over too. Is there even hops in there?

T- Tastes like a Bud Light that was frozen then thawed out, poured into a glass and served ice cold(just like left over beers in college that were hidden in your trunk in the winter)

O- Wow. Thiis is exactly what you would expect if Belgium and Missouri had inbred love child with too many chromosomes. BL, you have solidly made another horrible overpriced beer that needs to "enjoyed" ice, ice cold for it to even be remotely palatable. Im glad you poured millions of dollars to shove it down peoples throats as the next great thing. Good job, Im glad you know your audience- Kanye's "Runaway" for the commercial. Great lyrics too.
Let’s have a toast for the douchebags!
Let’s have a toast for the assholes!
Let’s have a toast for the scumbags
Every one of them that I know
Let’s have a toast for the jerkoffs

Another swing and a miss. Now to decide to pour it down my throat or the sink....

1.57/5  rDev -31.1%

Appearance of Bottle: made me want to immediately hop on my private jet and say to the pilot emphatically "To Beirut, son."

Apperance of Beverage: dehydrated potty but on the edges gold bars under a fantastically large and dim microfiche reader. I saw one lace but perhaps it could have been saliva from savagely drooling over what I had been told from several reputable sources was outstanding.

Smell: nose was pungently undisturbing with slight tinges of the straw that served as the floor of Affirmed's bed.

Taste: 60 year old pillow stuffing from Estonia, depleted uranium and cigarette filters. I can detect slight undertones of mercury but it fades fast... or it makes me percieve that it does.

Overall: i would drink this over bud light. Would use as the foil in a mystery cooler.

A - Very light, very clear straw. Near white, small head, some cling lace. Lots of cascading bubbles.

S - Corn mash, mostly , hidden malt and hops.

T - Like a watered down 'malt liquor'. Personally, that is an improvement.

M - Light body, good carb, balance is whatever.

D - Hot day, or a quick buzz, not a bad option for ABV and lightness.

1.66/5  rDev -27.2%

What the hell were they thinking. This is one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. Fire the brewmaster and the idiots who approved this mess.I brewed an IPA and on my first shot it wasn't bad but I don't know what the hell they were trying to do with this one.

1.63/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a light copperish yellow with some soapy head that fades away away quickly. The nose is fruity and smells like corn and apples. The taste is the same; grainy and sweet with corn and apple notes. The mouthfeel is very light and heavily carbonated.

It's flavor profile is incredibly light and is dominated by that apple-like off flavor. I didn't have high expectations so I won't say I'm disappointed. I'll be passing on this in the future.

1.8/5  rDev -21.1%

My neighbor gave me a bottle to try, so being curious about Buds latest endeavor, I was eager to give it a try. Please dont misunderstand me, as I am a craft beer drinker tried and true, and have only liked one of Budweisers offerings, wich was there American Ale. Now that was a good one in my book, considering the source. And wouldnt you know, I no longer see the Budweiser American Ale on the shelves any longer.

So now for Bud Platinum Light. I Have to interject just a wee bit of humor here folks. In addition to being a beer lover, Im also a cat lover. Anytime I crack open a proper craft beer, my cat jumps up onto the kitchen table, to give it a smell after its been poured into a glass. Well, she must`ve been a beer lover in some past life hehe, as she always licks her chops after getting a good smell of what Im about to drink. So of course, I cracked open the Bud Platinum light, and wouldnt you know, she jumped up on the table eager to smell it. Now this was before I did myself. She smelled the beer, as she usualy does, but her face grimaced after she did. She did not lick her chops, and instead trotted away quickly ... That wasnt a good sign right there!!

A. Very pale straw as I anticipated for a light beer, tons of carbonation. The head dissipated very quicky, and zero lacing.

S. I could barely make out anything noticeable, except for maybe burnt corn.

T. After doing my darndest to distinguish, what on earth I was tasting, I finaly decided that it very much reminded me of Perrier mineral water, with lemon. It had cirtus notes, but nothing to balance out whatever Budweiser was trying to acheive.

M. Bland and watery.

O. Not the worst light beer Ive ever had, it must be because of the citrus overtones this one peresents. If I wanted to do nothing but get drunk, this would be akin to a malt liquor minus the malt. I will not purchase this beer, and am glad my neighbor gave me one to come to this conclusion.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch