Bud Light Platinum | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Light Lager

Added by DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Reviews: 335 | Ratings: 1,820
1.11/5  rDev -51.3%

A good beer for emotionally distraught college girls who have never drank a good beer, but would like to spend a little extra money on a beer they think is premium but is actually the same shit as bud light.

2.6/5  rDev +14%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Is this a great beer, no. Does it stand out from the mass-produced American beers, yes. It is basically a pilsner that focuses heavily on ABV which causes it to lose depth and complexity in flavor and color. With that said, I still drink it regularly. It's inexpensive, goes down smooth and there are a lot of times I want a beer without having to work at having a beer. This is my go to when I'm in that kind of mood.

1.42/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Pours a super light golden color with huge bubbly head that almost instantly vanishes. The adjunct aromas in this are the strongest and worst I've smelled in a macro. Goes down pretty harsh and taste is taste putrid. Probably the worst adjunct I've ever had. No redeeming qualities here.

How this is only ranked one point higher than Miller Lite I'll never know. It has a lot more flavor than Miller Lite and the hint of sweetness is pretty nice.

1.7/5  rDev -25.4%

It might just be me, but this beer has a smell and taste that reminds me ever so faintly of the way nail polish remover smells. I found it pretty undrinkable, and poured it down the drain.

1.82/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

A friend left it in the fridge. Decided, I would try to see what brewed the Hard Way was all about. Half way through the beer, I accidentally knocked my glass over and broke it. I think God was sending me a message.

3.68/5  rDev +61.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear, pale-yellow appearance. Thin, white head that vanishes quickly. Grainy aroma with a bit of apple, and maybe the slightest hint of hops. The taste is mellow and kinda fruity. Crisp and refreshing. The finish is dry with a touch of sweetness. Overall, I enjoy this one. I will buy it again, but not often given the price it goes for in my area. Worth a try if you enjoy this style of beer.

12 oz can
Code on can: 14355 CZ33
Served in a Pilsner glass

1.49/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Pours a thin yellow with a fizzy head. Smells slightly metallic with a lot of alcohol. The taste is just bud light with a bit more alcohol on the finish. Not a fan of the beer but I can see why it's popular.

2.73/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

My beer quaffing has not been good for the old waist line, and I'm actually growing a little weary of dense, heavy brews, so I thought I'd try some light beer for a change up. This stuff struck my curiosity, with the high ABV but low calories.

Poured from the blue bottle into a shaker pint. A moderate pour produces about an inch of froth, which proves sticky enough. The beer is a pale straw color with high carbonation.

You can really smell the adjuncts- plenty of DMS, suggesting cooked corn, along with a bite of alcohol fruitiness. The overall flavor is a quite a bit more reasonable, but quite watery as you might expect. Just a tiny little bit of earthy bitterness. Watery mouth feel with a clean finish.

This is basically a light malt liquor, and rather unique as it is. It's not very flavorful but it's also not terrible. This beer would be good for someone who likes light lagers but wants a bit more kick.

3.55/5  rDev +55.7%

Better than regular Bud Light. A little more body, and flavor. I guess the little extra alcohol content helps it. Don't let the low ratings fool you. It a pretty good drink.

3.4/5  rDev +49.1%

Finally found a cheap beer that is decent enough to border on enjoyable. Smooth on the front, slightly sweet and ever so slightly spicy on the finish. Almost as if they made a 50/50 mix of club soda and duvel. For a dollar more for a 12 pack then regular bud light, thus definitely will be my go to party session beer.

1.73/5  rDev -24.1%

Pouted from a 12 oz bottle. Pours very pale straw color, crystal clear. There is ZERO head, and no lacing. There is more smell than most lagers, mostly grain and small flecks of citrus. No hops to speak of. Taste is much of the same, malted grain flavor, no alcohol on the palate, no hoppy bitterness. Fair for this style of beer. Feel is a bit odd. Feels much like tonic water, thin, wispy with loads of cola carbonation. This is the second Platinum I've tried, and it is my last.

Looks great, but not a lot of taste but very drinkable and pretty much everyone will drink it. Basically a stronger version that taste almost the same as bud light but for a more stressful day.

Very light clear straw color, pours with almost no head, but does leave some lacing behind.

Smells slightly skunky, with some barley.

Taste is mainly barley, a little sweet. Really not too bad.

Light bodied, thin and watery, rather high carbonation.

Actually surprised it wasn't worse.

3.75/5  rDev +64.5%

I feel most of the poor reviews come from people comparing this to craft beers. This is not a craft beer and it isn't trying to be one. This is a beer for BBQs and hot days. It's crisp, clean, easy to drink and doesn't weigh you down. It also is good for night life because is doesn't make you as tired as other heavier beers. For it's purpose I feel this is a pretty decent beer.

1.85/5  rDev -18.9%

Bud Light Platinum : Yes I give it a try to the Bud Light name.
So the look of it is really light. Nothing much to say about it. Very clear, light carbonation.
The smell of it? like a budweiser
The taste of it? Like my dishwasher with more sugar and more alcohol. Personally I drunk only 1 can and it was already enough. My head start to feel heavy. Very chemical beer.
So overall would I recommend it ? Fuck NO,

3.15/5  rDev +38.2%

Jeeez! you would think this stuff is brewed with toxic waste and camel piss from so many of the ultra Poor reviews here on "Beer SNOB Advocate" ...why is it that so many of you yuppie scumbag morons have to slag EVERY single American made "Macro Lager" there is? hey,I am NOT a "Light Beer" guy,and I drink ALL kinds of Beers/ales,in fact in my fridge right now I have ,"Ballast Point Sculpin & Big Eye IPA,Sierra Nevada Pale ale,Torpedo,and Celebration,Porter & stout,also have some olde English 800,colt 45,Schlitz malt liquor" OML" and a bunch of Macro Lagers too~ Bud/Coors/Pabst/Schlitz...I LOVE all kinds of beer is my point, but reading some [most] of the reviews here about "Bud Light Platinum" it makes me really hate all you "Beer Snobs" even more,so it is not a gr8 beer,but for a light American made Macro lager,it is not bad @ all,I would 4sure serve this beer @ BBQ's,with steamed shrimp/Crabs,or any sort of get together where all you want is a cold ,crisp,refreshing beer that does not weigh you down or fill you up,and as far as "Light Beers" go..I actually like this one quite a bit, STOP rating beers the WRONG way yuppie scum,rate them for their style,and do not compare them to your favorite Craft Beer that cost 20 bucks a 6er! hope all yer BMW's blow a piston~whiny clowns...

2.5/5  rDev +9.6%

From the bottle.
Smell: Very faint malt.
Taste: Sweet and that's it. Like drinking watered down vodka (which is basically what this is). Body: None, moderate carbonation.
Overall: Flavourless brew. Drinkable, but only because it tastes like sweet water and nothing else.

1.5/5  rDev -34.2%

I do not enjoy this beer, very sweet, almost tastes like regular bud light had a baby with Sweet & Low. The red bull like cans are a turn off as well, I think.

2.03/5  rDev -11%

A go to if I want to get drunk, or have a quick couple of brews while watching sports on the couch.

I think Bud Light is a little better flavor-wise but Platinum has the higher ABV. Nothing wrong with drinking these, cheap and easy to drink. Take Bud Light over Corona or Heineken ten times out of ten.

Bud Light Platinum
16. oz. can, coded "14226 SH23"

Poured into a clean glass Bud Light Platinum delivers a nice looking pint with a straw gold body beneath a short head of bright white foam. The head drops readily but maintains a solid surface covering. The lacing is limited but it does leave some nice craggy splashes behind.

The aroma is clean, and expresses only sweetish adjunct malt with a hint of apple-like fruitiness.

The flavor is quite a surprise! My initial impression was that it tasted like a malt liquor... a watered down malt liquor, but one with that sweetish adjunct-laden maltiness that lingers in the mouth because there are very little hops present. It's fruity and sweet, without any noticeable hop flavors at all, and a very low bitterness level to balance it out. Odd.

In the mouth it's medium bodied and smooth with a very moderate carbonation. If I hold the glass to the light I can see tiny bubbles steadily streaming upwards but there are not nearly as many as might be expected, especially for a light beer, which should be crisp.

So what's going on here? If you read the can it states that it's 6.0% ALC./VOL., which is very odd for a light beer, and it's also got 137 calories and 4.4 grams of carbs per 12 oz. serving (thank you A-B for including that, sincerely). I had to get my head around this so I put together a list:

110 calories in Bud Light @ 4.2% abv
137 calories in Bud Light Platinum @ 6.0% abv
145 calories in Budweiser @ 5.0% abv
158 calories in Hurricane @ 5.8% abv

So what we have here is basically a 'light malt liquor'. Is this a new American style of beer?

Unless the cost difference between Hurricane Malt Liquor and Bud Light Platinum is pretty great, I can't imagine anyone going for the Hurricane. The Bud Light Platinum is clean, and actually delivers a slightly bigger punch.

So how to rate this? I generally look at the whole world of beer as a guideline, meaning that there are poorly made beers that suffer from defects, and then there are pristine examples of certain styles that have a certain 'je ne said quoin' of magic to them that exemplify the 'creme de la creme'. An OK beer then scores a "3" as a "3" is average, and on that world-scale a standard Budweiser scores a bit higher at about 3.5. As far as a 'light malt liquor' goes I think this is really the only one. Compared to other malt liquors it's pretty damned good, but if we look at it just as 'a beer' thrown into the world mix it comes out short. I think for what it is it's not bad. I find no defects with it, and I thought it was much more drinkable than a lot of malt liquors.

I'm not sure I have an answer to this one yet, but I'm gonna stick with "okay" until something else pops up.

1.09/5  rDev -52.2%

If only it was made of platinum, you could take it to one of those coin and jewelry stores and sell it! can tell any difference from regular Bud Light, I do like the velvet finish of this beer that's about it.

The marketing makes the company rich and the blue bottle makes it look cool but that all ends when you crack it open and take a swig. Typical of most American beers, not worth drinking and a joke to beer drinkers worldwide. Question is, why is it popular and still on the market?

2.15/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

**Edit, 3/23/16**. I re-reviewed this beer ice cold and to be honest it's not the mess I remember. It's a very crisp, more flavorful Bud Light with a few more adjunct off flavors (fruity esters, ethanol, dirty grains) but all in all better than the standard Bud Light. I've adjusted my scores accordingly. (Original overall score was 1.13/5)

So considering I just reviewed Bud Light, I figured I might as well crack the single of Bud Light PLATINUM I have sitting in my fridge. This is the FIRST time I've ever had this beer so you're going to get the full force of whatever I have to offer. It may not be pretty. You stand warned.

Serving Style : pretty 12 oz blue glass bottle, poured into a Miller Fortune glass.

Appearance (1.5) : I love the blue bottle. I'll keep it to put in my man cave. I think the appeal is the jewel blue bottle and the higher alcohol content. I digress.

Pouring...

So, could this beer could get any paler? Crystal transparency. I could read a book through it! I've seen Chardonnay more opaque! Even lighter colored than regular Bud Light (I have a good comparison as I just poured it moments ago), and the head is about the same - minimal and recedes rapidly. Dud city.

Smell (2) : Slightly boozy, much like bud light but with a larger bouquet; granola, corn, clean swimming pool, leather... something that smells good and is reminiscent of a good time in life but I can't quite put a finger on. I'm just gonna say I like the smell better than regular Bud Light.

Taste (-1) : Whoa. Hold everything. This is like an unwanted kiss from an ugly girl. Corn lager explosion with heavy booze and a finish of artificial chemical awfulness I'm not even gonna try to describe. This is horrible. Cough syrup - I'm getting freaking cough syrup here. Faint faint fruit loops. What the hell???

Mouthfeel (1) : Oily mouthfeel with unbearably heavy carbonation. Dry rubbing alcohol on the finish. I don't think it can get much worse.

Overall (1.13) : This is like a triple distilled malt liquor that finishes like rubbing alcohol. It has flavors but they're all off. It's like I'm drinking watered down malted bleach and antiseptic mixed with cheap vodka. If you hate yourself you'll drink this beer. This is honestly the worst, most horrible beer I've ever laid lips to. This is liquid feces from the depths of hell. My natural, uncensored reaction to this is "holy s**t this is bad". Who approved this out of the brewery? Furthermore, who are the sick people that buy this stuff? I'm going to flag down and warn anybody who tries to buy this beer from our gas station. I think I'll go pour this out now...

2.75/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. Aroma- A faint grain aroma, very weak Appearance – Light yellowish-orange in the body with a moderate white head Taste – There is no hint of hops and the grain has a light finish Palate– A light body with mild carbonation another forgettable beer

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch