Bud Light Platinum | Anheuser-Busch

Added by DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Reviews: 337 | Ratings: 1,835
1.63/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a light copperish yellow with some soapy head that fades away away quickly. The nose is fruity and smells like corn and apples. The taste is the same; grainy and sweet with corn and apple notes. The mouthfeel is very light and heavily carbonated.

It's flavor profile is incredibly light and is dominated by that apple-like off flavor. I didn't have high expectations so I won't say I'm disappointed. I'll be passing on this in the future.

1.8/5  rDev -21.1%

My neighbor gave me a bottle to try, so being curious about Buds latest endeavor, I was eager to give it a try. Please dont misunderstand me, as I am a craft beer drinker tried and true, and have only liked one of Budweisers offerings, wich was there American Ale. Now that was a good one in my book, considering the source. And wouldnt you know, I no longer see the Budweiser American Ale on the shelves any longer.

So now for Bud Platinum Light. I Have to interject just a wee bit of humor here folks. In addition to being a beer lover, Im also a cat lover. Anytime I crack open a proper craft beer, my cat jumps up onto the kitchen table, to give it a smell after its been poured into a glass. Well, she must`ve been a beer lover in some past life hehe, as she always licks her chops after getting a good smell of what Im about to drink. So of course, I cracked open the Bud Platinum light, and wouldnt you know, she jumped up on the table eager to smell it. Now this was before I did myself. She smelled the beer, as she usualy does, but her face grimaced after she did. She did not lick her chops, and instead trotted away quickly ... That wasnt a good sign right there!!

A. Very pale straw as I anticipated for a light beer, tons of carbonation. The head dissipated very quicky, and zero lacing.

S. I could barely make out anything noticeable, except for maybe burnt corn.

T. After doing my darndest to distinguish, what on earth I was tasting, I finaly decided that it very much reminded me of Perrier mineral water, with lemon. It had cirtus notes, but nothing to balance out whatever Budweiser was trying to acheive.

M. Bland and watery.

O. Not the worst light beer Ive ever had, it must be because of the citrus overtones this one peresents. If I wanted to do nothing but get drunk, this would be akin to a malt liquor minus the malt. I will not purchase this beer, and am glad my neighbor gave me one to come to this conclusion.

2.24/5  rDev -1.8%

12oz twist off, blue bottle. split with my dad poured into a snifter.

extremely clear watery yellow color with a thin pure white colored head. it did keep a somewhat retentive thick white ring and showed some lace as well. i was constantly swirling the glass... a good amount of carbonation bubbles.

mineral water is mostly what i get out of the aroma. hints of sweet corn and maybe the slightest bit of rotten egg.

the taste is almost identical to regular bud light. lagery mineral water, sweet corn like grains and hints of yeast. maybe even slight hints of pickle juice? but very clean.

very light bodied with a rather watery feel. over carbonated at first, but steady swirling brings it to about the right level.

as far as light lagers go, this really isnt bad. bud light is prolly my favorite out of all the macro light lagers, but thats not saying much as its one of my least favorite styles. this is hardly any different than regular bud light, maybe the slightest bit more taste, but still not something i would ever buy and even avoid drinking if it was free. and i really dont understand the whole concept behind this beer, all i can make of it is a ploy to alcoholics.

2.1/5  rDev -7.9%

A: clear light gold with half finger head. Head settles quickly.

S: sweet veggie like aroma. Some grain. Smells like budlight.

T: sweet corn upfront. Then you get some more cooked veggie flavors with a sweet aftertaste. You do get a slight hint that there is a bit more alcohol.

Mf: light-medium with prickly carbonation. Leaves a creamy feel after its down.

O: pretty much what I expected. Meh.

2.2/5  rDev -3.5%

Bottle into pint glass...not sure why but I at least wanted to give this a try.

A - Pours yellow, fizzy, looks like water.

S - Smells like a grain mill, pond water, and metal.

T - Tastes like a grain mill, pond water, and metal.

M - Light body, fizzy carbonation, drinks like water.

O - Why did I do this? Oh well, at least now I know I won't have to worry about ticking this any longer. Below average light lager.

1.57/5  rDev -31.1%

A - Drank directly out of the bottle, but from what I could gather by looking at it through the blue bottle (which is pretty cool, but doesn't make the beer any better), looks like the regular, run of the mill light beer.

S - Smells like beer. A little more beery than the usual light beer, but nothing special. Can't pick up on the "high ABV" this beer claims to have at all.

T - Bud Light. That is what this tastes like. Bud Light with a little more beer in it maybe...

M - Thought I was drinking water for a few moments. Has no carbonation really, and doesn't have that beer feel most beers have.

O - It's a good idea for people who like light beer and want to get drunk, but for those of us who actually have taste buds and a functioning brain, I'd definitely avoid this beer.

2.9/5  rDev +27.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a light golden color with a billowy white head. The head fades fast giving just an ever so light bit of lacing.

Smell – Sweet corn aromas are big and bold. The lightest bit of citrus seems to be present as well, but is light in comparison to the sweet corn aroma.

Taste – The taste is as the nose suggests. It gives a big hit of sweet corn taste. Just as in the nose, there is the slightest bit of lemon citrus that bitters the flavor ever so slightly toward the end (still quite sweet however) and rounds out the taste.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied with a very appropriate level of carbonation. It is also much less watery then the normal light beer.

Overall – This is actually much more flavorful then the average light beer and its mouthfeel blows the normal light beer out of the water. It still is very one dimensional however with its taste consists nearly entirely of corn. Better than the average light beer, that is for sure, but not something to pine for.

3.85/5  rDev +68.9%

Poured into glass it looks like its counter parts, but very carbonated. Smell was like Bud but with a little bit more behind the smell maybe an extra sniff of hops, it taste pretty good to me it is very smooth and easy to drink. Overall I think its one of Anheuser-Busch's coolest creation lately I mean more alcohol than bud and less calories I mean can't go wrong there.

3.2/5  rDev +40.4%

Didn't know what to expect when I was about to try this. Certainly has a unique bottle that stands out. I actually didn't mind this. They bumped it up to a 6.0% which I thought was smart. Went down alot easier than I anticipated which could be trouble for people who throw back a lot at a time. Pretty smooth bitter aftertaste. Wasn't too high on the smell but overall didn't mind it.

1.28/5  rDev -43.9%

pours light yellow with a big fizzy white head that faded fast and left no lacing

smells of sweet grains/corn/rice and alcohol

taste is those same sweet watered down grains and the aftertaste that it left in my mouth was horrid

mouthfeel is watery thin with decent carbonation

overall - whats the point of this beer? its bud light with a higher abv

1.91/5  rDev -16.2%

A- Pale yellow-clear with a large but thin head that goes away as coke does.

S- Like my college house after we had a kegger the night before, almost cider-ish but some bad grain in there too.

T- A little sweet and watery. Not much flavor at all, others say it has more flavor than normal BL but I would say it is considerably less. Not bad, but not really anything there.

M- Like carbonated water, no body and very crisp finish.

O- If I wanted to get hammered this would be easy to do it with. Has little flavor and is extremely easy to drink, however if I want to enjoy a cheap beer then this isn't it. This gimmick of a beer is definitely the 6% abv and that its "platinum".

1.85/5  rDev -18.9%

A - light yellowish or golden, very transparent... slight head at the conclusion of the pour but only lasts about 20 seconds... bottle is very cheap looking, poor marketing if you ask me

S - porridge, reminds me of a stale box of Cheerios... not too much going on here

T - very similar to Bud Light, little bitter though, the 6.5% is very unassuming so if you're just looking to get drunk quickly, this is certainly the beer for you... very watery though, not my style whatsoever

M - very smooth but it should be due to its style so don't read much into that... goes down pretty easily

O - good college dorm room beer, I'm sure it'll be a big hit in that age bracket... for beer enthusiasts though, it's probably not even worth trying, honestly...

2.18/5  rDev -4.4%

Clear straw yellow color with a fizzy white head that doesn't stay around.

The aroma is very light - almost non-existant but vaguely like steamed rice and corn.

The taste is also very light sweet, carbonic, not really malt and hops are almost undetectable.

Very easy to drink - no flavor or body to interfer. Does a good job of washing down barbecue if very cold.

Not sure if this is really beer just diluted alcohol, begs for a twist of lime or something to give it more flavor.

1.47/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours out a light yellow straw hue with a thick foamy white head that quickly disappears. Very little retention, no lacing and high carbonation. Can hardly smell anything in this beer, even though I get hints of the typical old corn and old rice smell of the typical american light beer. The taste starts out with some rice, some sweet syrups, followed by alcohol and finishes off with hints of sweet malts. If there is any hops in this, I can't taste them. The mouthfeel is a very light bodied and watered down beer that is smooth and easy to drink. This beer is good if you want a light beer to try to get drunk off of and don't care for taste, but if you care about taste and quality this beer is not for you and it is not for me.

2.13/5  rDev -6.6%

Weird blue bottle, reminds me of a "malternative" drink. Pours out a very pale yellow color, fizzy.

Wow, smell is sulfuric, acetone and some faint off phenolic aromas. Overall not very pleasant!

The taste is actually a bit better than the smell, a tinge of tart apple, some bready malt aftertastes, but I am trying hard to pick up much, and add some alcohol warming if you want to include that in the taste category.

Mouthfeel is prickly like most american macro beers.

Overall this beer is designed to pack more punch than your average light beer all the while delivering the same llittle flavor. The scientists at AB have successfully done this for those beer drinkers who hate the taste of beer.

1.83/5  rDev -19.7%

A - Poured with a bubbly head that disappeared immediately. Golden/straw colored

S - Very sharp and pungent compared to regular BL, I can't put a finger on the exact smell but it reminds me of concentrated beer

T - Finishes sweet but there's no malt or hops to speak of

M - Much more bubbly than regular BL and it reminded me more of sparkling grape juice than beer

O - You can't taste the additional alcohol (6% vs 4.5%) but I would take a normal BL over this any day

1.75/5  rDev -23.2%

Bottle poured into a Crate & Barrel bar glass. No head to speak of. Pale yellow, similar in appearance to a standard Bud Light.

Not sure what the purpose of this beer is, other than to give fans of Bud Light and other macro lagers a quicker path to a buzz. Really doesn't have a pleasant flavor at all. Brought back memories of my days bar hopping on Thames St. Newport when I drank any cheap beer I could get my hands on.

My advice - if you want a decent light beer, spend a couple extra bucks and pick up some Sam Adams Light.

2.34/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear golden yellow color, the same color as my good wedding ring.

S- The aroma is grainy malts and an ever so slight note of hops.

T- The taste has a bit more flavor than your standard bud light. The taste starts out with some sweetness from the grain and finishes with just a touch of hops. The alcohol was next to non-existent when I first opened the bottle but it creeps up fast as the beer warms up a little which is a detriment to the beer.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, this is definitely a step up from Bud Light in the flavor department but lacks in the drinkability department due to the higher ABV. I would definitely take this over a Bud Light, but it is not something I would buy on a regular basis especially if there is a better craft option available.

Let me start by saying I sampled one of these after trying a Southern Tier Choklat. This high ABV Bud is very similar to Bud Light but you get more alcohol and well disguised to boot. I really don't taste anything bad, different etc. from any other BMC Light products. If you want the mediocre flavors of a BMC but don't want to down a 6 pack before you get a buzz...then this is your beer. Nothing good/nothing bad...enjoy!

1.82/5  rDev -20.2%

Rather spiffy looking blue bottle into pint glass.

Very clear, only slightly golden tinted.... Kinda yellow in color actually. Half finger white head settled quickly. A half dozen spots of lacing hang back, taunting me with their soulless presence.

Smells surprisingly decent-- a little cider-like quality comes across as airy and light. The boiled corn sneaks in as this warms up though.
The "flavor" is virtually nonexistent, sans the abundance of alcohol on the finish. A light grainy sweetness up front. No bitterness.

Feel is about medium, and has a ton of carbonation-- par for the BMC course.

Overall-- not sure exactly what the demographic for this one is meant to be, but I like the reversal of the trend to make "light lagers" come in under 3% ABV.
Calorie to alcohol ratio has to better here than if some one drank 3 of the Bud Select 55s!

Still, not a beer I'll be drinking again. Way too much alcohol and too little flavor. You're better off with some Malt Liquor.

2.47/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from what I have to admit is a pretty cool looking blue bottle...

Appearance - Never seen this before - really didn't pour any head at all, poured the last half "really rough", and it fizzed for a moment which immediately disappeared. No head at all here - NONE. Color is a perfectly transparent light yellow/gold.

Smell - Hmmmm, light biscuits, faint sweet apples and pears.

Taste - Same as the nose, very light apples and pears, some crispy biscuit is in there too. You can taste alcohol at the end of the sip. Flavors are very light and watered down. Almost tastes like watered down sparkling apple juice with a shot of vodka added.

Mouthfeel - Very thin and watery, medium+ carb adds some nice tingle and crispness, but all of this is very light.

Overall - It's better than bud light, and the flavor really isn't all that bad for what this is. I don't get the corn/adjunct flavors in this at all, it's actually quite light and crisp, and the flavors are definitely pear and apple - but again they are Very light. Ultra drinkable, almost goes down like water. If you want a cheap, lo-cal buzz that has very light crisp apple n biscuits flavor, then try this.

1.78/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured into a pint glass and showed a little head and lacing to my suprise.

APPEARANCE --- Clear, pale yellow

SMELL --- Can barely smell anything at all, sweet alcohol?

TASTE --- This is really hard to describe other than it has virtually no flavor at all. It tastes like sparkling water with a drop of sugary Jack Daniels.

I only paid $5.99 for the sixer but nonetheless I still felt overcharged. This "beer" is only good for people who want to catch a quick buzz and not really savor a good brew.

1.98/5  rDev -13.2%

12oz blue bottle, pours extra pale with a white, fizzy head that dissipates to nothing in a minute or so. It's paler than I expected, but the clarity is stunning. Aromas are weak with some corn & grain. Tastes are weak and watery, not much more in flavor compared to it's original, Bud Light. Mild grain, cereal, and a sugary sweetness are about it here. It's sweeter than Bud Light and the extra alcohol leaves a slight prickle on the tongue. Mouth-feel is thin and highly carbonated; it does go down smoothly though. Overall, I guess I was hoping for more here with the sleek packaging and extra ABV, even though expectations were set low to begin with. Glad a friend bought this for me. Not worth buying yourself.

1.56/5  rDev -31.6%

I don't normally review beers I'm sure I won't enjoy, but since a friend already made the mistake of paying money for this stuff, I gave it a whirl.

Pale clear yellow, like yellowish water. The only thing I smell is yeast, smells like the trub you leave behind in your brewing pail.

I'd love to say that it tastes nasty, offensive or terrible, but the truth is that it really doesn't have a taste. It's like bubbly water with some corn extract flavor. I've had worse tasting beers, but at least they tasted like beer. This is nothing. Not worth the time at all.

1.26/5  rDev -44.7%

Half of a 12 oz bottle poured into a pony glass

A- Clear golden color with a small white head.

S- Weak, some sweet corn and grains...not good...

T- Watery sweet corn...

M- Light water...

O- Sucks, not worth the money, sweet water...Me and my friend decided ti see what is about and were disappointed...time for something good...

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch