Bud Light Platinum | Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States | website

Style: Light Lager

Added by DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Reviews: 332 | Ratings: 1,814

BLP literally tastes like regular Bud Light with an infused metallic taste that I couldn't shake. I have no idea how some casual drinkers find this to actually be an improvement over Bud Light or Budweiser but these people seem to think that its ABV of 6% makes it superior. They're all poor excuses for beer and BLP is probably the worst of them. Luckily I tried it for free from a friend and I would recommend absolutely not wasting your hard-earned money on this garbage.

2.1/5  rDev -7.9%

It IS slightly less bad than regular bud light; however, the reason for BLP is not for drinking enjoyment, it is to impress random bar skanks and give the impression you're too well off and sophisticated to be drinking regular swill like the commoners. Needs to have "It'll getcha laid" below the bud light logo.

1.94/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a clear gold with a foamy bone head that settles to tiny wisps of film on top of the beer. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and some fruity but vegetal aromas. Taste is much the same with fruity, grassy, and corn-like flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very poor beer that is slightly better than regular Bud Light but that isn't really hard to do.

1.61/5  rDev -29.4%

Budweiser Light Platinum (2013) - At 6% ABV a Sam Adam's Light grade beer is expected if not more. With some 130 calories I'm saying to myself this has to have more flavor than Bud Light regular. On both counts I was wrong. A thick foamy head reduces too mild lacing. Very active carbonation. Think wheat aromas abound. Crystal clear yellow body with very wet mouthfeel. On the front of the palette there is very little taste to be had. Faint wheat and grass taste if that. Lots of water mid-palette. Very weak malt flavor. Back palette there is very faint hops and rice. I think weak Natty Ice. This is Bud Light alright and not much more. Actually it's horrible when you really think about it because as far as light beers go this has more calories than it should. Since a Guinness has less calories I'm at a loss why I'd even think to buy this over regular Bud Light since it's cheaper or Guinness since it's better tasting. Hell I could get Third Shift or Sam's Light for around the same price. If ABV is your thing-- Natural Ice or Milwaukee's Best has more taste, higher ABV, and is cheaper. So again-- what's the point. With Bud Black Crown I get it-- pay better for good Bud. But with this I don't get it. Pay more for a potent Bud Light with more calories? It's an ill place and no purpose beer. I rarely say this but 1 out of 5 stars. Pretend it's not even on the shelf.

1.37/5  rDev -39.9%

take the watery extract flavors of a bud light and add the burning stomach churning effect of grain alcohol, and you have a bud light platinum. as much as I hate the politics, marketing, and desired demographic (see my black crown review), I also hate the beer. it just tastes awful, metallic and boozy, yet somehow still diluted. its a mess from top to bottom. if it had no taste it would have a passable mouthfeel, that's about it. upbeat carbonation and a lighter body, but it cant save a beer that tastes more like a caustic chemical reaction than an honest brew for human consumption. I have no interest in ever consuming one of these again. it had the profound effect of bringing me from craving a beer badly to instantly not wanting to drink anymore, they should treat alcoholics with this wash, might turn them off too. id honestly rather drink any dirty 40 from the gas station than have another one of these. steer clear.

1.96/5  rDev -14%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours a pale straw color with a fizzy pure white head that settles into a slight cap. Fizzy yellow beer.

The mason jar seems to collect and amplify the odor of the beer. Very grainy and sulfur like; grassy and veggies. Kind of a musty alcohol vapor. Quite unpleasant.

The taste is better but not much. Its light and has a sweet corny straw flavor. Some sulfur.

The feel is light with fizzy carbonation. Sweet on the palate. Perhaps a shade heavier than normal bud light.

A boozier marketing driven beer. What's the point.

1.75/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

This beer is trying to be a "real beer". the 6% scheme is kind of a joke. This beer smells bad. like really bad. it is pretty smooth but it still tastes pretty skunky. There is no fizz to it which is weird considering Budweiser and Bud light are pretty fizzy

1.87/5  rDev -18%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Take a Bud Light, add some medicinal alcohol taste to it and a hint of metallic. Wrap it up in a pretty bottle that looks like a credit card and market the hell out of it as premium. My question to Anheiser is if this is the premium, than what the hell is Bud Light?

Anheiser seems to think that you can just relabel sub par beer and market it but the growing rise in micro and craft beers is finally starting to chip away at them. I hope the pace continues. because this is a less than stellar beverage and barely drinkable. I've had a bottle in the fridge for over 7 months because no one will drink it.

2.07/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

So my nephew brought a sixer of this over. Never reviewed it so here goes.

Completely clear pale yellow with a thin white cap. Lots of effervescence. The aroma brings some grain, alcohol, not much else. The flavor is really a disappointment, even plummeting beyond my low expectations. Perhaps a redeeming quality of a macro lager with no integrity is the drinkability, especially at cold temperatures. Chasing hot wings and pizza with BMC products seems to be a lasting trend here in America, which is unfortunate. Bud Platinum, however, offers no drinkability. This beer is a headache waiting to happen, and can only be tolerated at refrigerator temperatures. Why increase the abv on a mediocre (at best) beer? Because it sells. Stupid. Avoid.

2.24/5  rDev -1.8%

Drinkin this shit on a metaphorically cloudy night. Out the bottle so no head, no color, aroma of faint pale malts, subtle cheap dry hop bitterness. Taste is smoother carbo than Bud Light, pretty much the same flavor as the Godhead (bud,miller,coors). I'm guessing the only things that make this beer better is the less crispy carbo and the slightly higher booze. Other than that, the brewery with its platinum bullsh, can go eat a chode.

2.26/5  rDev -0.9%

One finger head fades quickly. Almost totally clear yellow color. Appears very watered down. Smells like a cheap beer. Average taste. Goes down smooth but lacks any depth. Overall It's basically bud light with more alcohol in it. It tastes almost exactly the same. Good because of the extra alcohol but its still as watered down as every Budweiser beer ever.

Tastes like the nastiest medicinal synthetic chemical I've ever imbibed. How on earth did their R&D dept let this one slide thru. I love bud light and bud light ice, but I almost hurled on first sip. Seriously??? I emptied all 6 bottles down the drain without hesitation. Even if I were soif'in' in a desert I wouldn't drink this crap.

2.56/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Seemed an appropriate single to try on the 4th of July, but saddens me to state that my favourite part is far and away the bottle - less weight in packaging has to be a good thing, but not certain this ill-flavoured "mostly water" needs to be transported at all?

Pours a bright golden colour with a clean white head and lots of continuous carbonation. Has a sweet, almost cloying, aroma of "grains", albeit more rice and corn than barley. No sign of the biscuity breadiness I'd expect in a genuine lager. Taste is very sweet and syrupy, and doesn't balance well with the 6% ABV. Aftertaste lingers longer than I would choose...

Glad to have tried it, but sad to have purchased it and will decline any future drinking opportunities!

3.12/5  rDev +36.8%

Pours clear pale gold with one finger of white head. There are specks of lace here and there.
Smell is rather forward apple juice.
Taste is sweet apple juice that is watered down. No detectable bitterness whatsoever.
Kind of reminds me of those sweet apple juice based champagne substitutes people drink to avoid alcohol only less sweet. No hint of alcohol either.
Mouthfeel is crisp and light. Very slight drying effect in the finish.
Overall a tasty carbonated ultra light beverage. Well recommended for those who hate the taste of beer and want to get happy rather quickly. Keep this stuff away from little kids please. I think they would guzzle it down thinking it was some type of child beverage like carbonated apple juice! The can is strange too, my son says it looks like an energy drink, tall and skinny. Edit: 12/09/2015. Bumped the overall to 3.0.

2.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a handglass.

A: Light hay. Pours a 1 finger, bubbly white head. Quickly dissipates. Tons of carbonation clings to the sides of the glass. No lacing.

S: Hay and yeast.

T: Sourdough bread, grass, an indistinct sweetness, some pungent wood, and a little soap.

M: Light body. Synthetically sweet aftertaste.

D: Session.

Atmosphere is unexciting. Washed-out hue, bubbly head, a bit over carbonated, no real lacing. Yeasty hay nose. Flavor is sourdough bread, with a bit of a soapy sweetness. Overall, this is not such a great quaff.

2.27/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Regretfully poured into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. 22oz bottle bought for something like $2.19 at the liquor store.

Appearance: That infamous beer piss yellow. Finger or two of head fizzles away very fast. No lacing. Serious carbonation coming from the etching on the bottom of the glass. Probably the worst beer I've ever seen.

Smell: Sweet. Corn aromas. Just very sweet. Doesn't smell bad, but it does smell cheap ... which I guess is bad. I don't know. Not much going on.

Taste/feel: Again, really sweet... this really just. Doesn't taste like beer. It tastes like a beer flavored pop/soda/whatever you want to call it. I guess it sort of does have an apple sort of flavor after reading some reviews... kind of does taste like watered down apple juice. It goes down easy, there's nothing off about it with any weird notes, it's cheap... but this isn't a beer aficianado's beer.

I probably wouldn't buy it again just because I was embarrassed enough the first time. Any self-respecting brewmaster should know that beer doesn't really belong in anything but a brown bottle. Very little flavor, but nothing offensive about it. A little better than Bud Light.

It would be fine if it was considered cider or a wine cooler or something like that, but how the hell is this considered a beer? Sure as hell doesn't taste much like one to me.

1.88/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours golden with a thin head that struggles to be a slight wisp for a little while before disappearing. No real lacing sticks.

The smell is of cheap malt liquor - some grain, some alcohol.

The taste is sweet and slimy. Alcohol shows. Not much in the way of flavor.

It is slick in an oily way with some carbonation and a lingering alcohol taste.

This is ridiculous. A boozy, light beer.

Someone gave me this. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

2.38/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Was at a BBQ and ran out of my Sculpin, so I was given this. Never had it, so what the heck, right? Other friend told me to turn in my man card. Found out this was in his fridge for close to a year (improvement?)

Drank it from bottle, so no clue about the appearance.

Not much of a smell here.

Bland front, with a sweetish back. Nothing major.

Carbonated, but not overly

Overall, it really wasn't THAT bad. Best of all the Bud products I've ever had, which isn't saying much. I would say one and done on this one.

1.85/5  rDev -18.9%

Truly the lightest colored beer I've ever seen, damn near colorless. Faint whiff of diluted husky grain. Literally nothing else going on in this beer, except a light canned corn aftertaste. All marketing, and clearly it has been successful since this stuff seems to be gaining a foothold.

2.5/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from a 12oz metal bottle and consumed directly from it. Honestly I felt no need to serve it in a glass and did not have one on me anyways.

A: I cannot give an exact appearance because it was drank from the bottle. But I'm assuming pale straw color from all the other advertisements I've seen.

S: From the bottle it's pretty scentless. If one wanted to really delve into specifics some rice could perhaps be detected.

T: Rather watery and tasteless. The only real memorable taste separating it from water is wet white rice. Even then it is not very evident and could easily slip past someone who doesn't have an affinity for sampling craft. Bitterness is really not present but neither is it to sweet so I will give it that.

M: Fizzy but clean and leaves little aftertaste. This could be because there was no real initial taste.

O: Not my kind of beer. It was offered to me by a friend and to me free beer is good beer. One should never be a big enough snob to turn down a new and free beer.While I would never purchase this it was inoffensive and I could see a lot of Bud regulars buying it for the cool looks and higher alcohol. I should also add that "Bud Light" and the beer being 6% is intriguing. I was able to drink two and could easily drink a few more but that does not make a beer good IMO.

3.96/5  rDev +73.7%

Appearance: Pours an extremely clear, pale yellow

Smell: Not much of a smell at all. Slight hint of yeast, but just barely. Very light.

Taste: You can definitely taste the yeast and the slight flavor of the hops. Not much to the taste but it seems sweeter and a bit breadier than plain Bud Light

M: Body is definitely fuller than regular Bud Light and the mouthfeel is less watery than bud light. Carbonation is more prominant.

O: I good tasting light beer. I would recommend this beer to people who do not drink beer very often because it is easy to drink and it is not awful as it begins to warm.

2.52/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

This does seem to have more in common with the cheap malt liquors, and the ABV is actually getting close to that range. It looks nice enough, just very pale. Sudsy with impeccable bubbles and nice lacing. These industrial guys really know their carbonation. I didn't quite get the bottle until I held it in front of the computer screen-- the cobalt blue is quite stunning.

Very light but a touch of wheaty maltiness. The flavor is grainy, even slightly boozy. Maybe that's the hook. It's drinkable enough if you like this kind of stuff. But, as usual with Anheuser, Miller-Coors, SAB, In-Bev ,and all the rest-- it's all about marketing. If they could come up with a Marlborough Man for beer, it would make the advertising so much easier.

1.87/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

12oz Bottle from the Ottawa LCBO for 2.55$

Appearance - Clear light yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there isn't much lacing. The head lasted for around 2 minutes.

Smell - breads/grains, honey(or some sort of fruit?), booze

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste breads/grains and a bit of a fruit sweetness. There is also some corn and I can taste the booze. It ends with a corn/bready aftertaste.

Overall – I knew this was going to be bad.. but I still had to give it a try. I don't think beer will be around for much longer, I don't see the need for it.

1.77/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Reminds me less of "platinum" and more of the smelly liquified silver leftover from film development that photo labs pay money to get rid of.

Appearance: The bright blue bottle is pretty enough. The beer itself, once poured, looks just like any other hopless light lager. What little head it had quickly disappeared into the yellow fizz.

Smell: Sour, vaguely grainy and alcoholic. A smell that says, "do not drink this."

Taste: Starts bad, invokes a mental image of drinking a glass of saliva. As it warms, it only gets worse - slightly sour, a sweetness that can only be described as "sickly," like a diet soda. No hop character whatsoever. Slight alien maltiness.

Mouthfeel: Slightly too fizzy, feels like a glass of Sprite. Alcohol leaves no warmth but rather a strange sensation of stark emptiness, like a cheap vodka.

Overall: Crap beer, barely a step up from the typical macro-swill. A good choice if you hate all beers anyway, and liquor is too strong for you, and you don't want to buy coke to make rum-and-cokes, but you want to get drunk as fast as possible. That's about it.

3.28/5  rDev +43.9%

poured from the blue bottle into a pilsner glass

A - Pours a perfectly transparent straw with few bubbles rising to the rapidly dissipating white head.

S - Light cereal grains and a pervasive mustiness/sourness upon opening the bottle. In the glass, the slight sourness becomes stronger. Head is reduced to ring almost immediately, which is gone by at least half way down the glass. Leaves maybe one splotch of lacing.

T - A light graininess and slight alcohol upfront. The body is driven by sweet malt that isn't overpoweringly cut with cheap grains, and a bit of happiness even manages to sneak in. Crisp almost lemony flash as the beer passes over the back of the tongue transitions into a dry grain and lemon finish.

M - Medium bodied with decent carbonation. Very full compared to other light lagers and may be the best i've had to date.

Make no mistake, although this looks and smells like ordinary bud light, it tastes like an imperial version of the original. Surprisingly, this is actually a good thing, and the beer is decent overall. I would pick this over any other light beer I have had to date.

Note - The scores in this review have been scaled to reflect the style and other beers in its category

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch