Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Light Lager

Added by DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Reviews: 330 | Ratings: 1,810
4.3/5  rDev +88.6%

It tastes good and gets you hammered quickly. Any other qualities aside, what else constitutes a good beer? Get over yourself. It's an American beer that puts the desired effect above complex snobby flavors. It is what it is. Good for beer pong and getting lucky on a week night. Unpretentious and gets the job done.

Appearance - Has a crisp, raw look to it. The bottle itself conveys a more sleek energy as compared to the standard Bud Light appearance and when poured in a glass it comes off as an exceedingly approachable nectar.

Smell - The uniform, mellow-like aroma that we have come to be familiar with from the Budweiser kin of beers. No one fragrance is overpowered but you can tell there is a quality mingling of sensations here.

Taste - Refreshing and effortless to drink, quintessential for sultry months, casually drinking or when looking to pace oneself. A lighter flavor compared to other beers of analogous alcohol content. Taking a sip the beer is very punctual with it's flavors and becomes acutely enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - First-rate and undemanding to take on. An almost glassy yet distinct punch manifests itself within every swig.

Overall - This has to be the hands down selection between light beers and even compared to "heavy" beers or craft selections depending on what the affair is. A magnificent middle ground is found between the higher alcohol content common with craft beers or even other types of alcohol while still remaining "light", crisp, and fortifying. The ideal beer for any occasion.

Appearance: Looks like Bud Light, maybe a tiny bit more color, but nothing special. Inoffensive perhaps?

Smell: Smells like Bud Light which is to say like a tiny bit of corn or maybe wheat along with some metallic tones.

Taste: It certainly is more rewarding than Bud Light -- but that's not to say it's good. It has very little flavor, little bit of corn, little bit of wheat, not much substance at all. Again, inoffensive to the point of being empty. Which I believe is the point of Bud Light in general.

Mouthfeel: This stuff is carbonated like a soda. Thin and watery otherwise. Perfect for frat boys who've not yet learned to appreciate a beer with fewer bubbles.

Overall: I would choose this over Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Light etc. But I would choose Bud regular or PBR if I'm somewhere with nothing but macro brews.

I predict it will be a fart in the pan like lots of other Bud products. Wish they would trade it for Bud Dry Reprise. Of course, I may have been too young to know that Bud Dry was just another crappy macro the last time it was available!

3.45/5  rDev +51.3%

Its budlight with a little more kick. Considering budlight is one of if not the top selling beer in america....it can't be that bad. I would like to know what this triple filtered idea is all about. Obviously it has to do with putting more alcohol into the beer, but are they fortifying it with alcohol or furmenting it further?

I really like it!

2.03/5  rDev -11%

A- Pours a very clear piss yellow with a 1 finger white head that fades instantly.

S- Almost no aroma. What there is smells of corn, sweet malts, booze and skunk. Thanks stupid blue bottle.

T- Sweet corn, malt an booze. No bitterness at all and a strange sweet metallic after taste.

M- VERY thin, watery texture and body. Smooth. Too much carbonation.

O- This beer is sort of baby malt liquer poorly done. Another crap product from Anheuser-Busch. This is one that I will avoid and would choose most other beers over this one.

Glass: Dimpled Mug

1.91/5  rDev -16.2%

The options were pretty limited at the Tilted Kilt in White Marsh, so figured this was the perfect time to try a glass of macro swill. To my credit, I made it through nearly a quarter of the bottle before dumping the rest.

The beer pours a light gold color with minimal head retention and light lacing. Still, for an AB lite beer, this isn't too bad. The nose is disgusting, which I guess figures. I get a distinct alka-seltzer and creamed canned corn aroma, which is just flat out weird (not to mention nasty). The flavor profile is a bit better (not exactly a high bar, eh?), but I'm surprised by how much sweet, creamed corn I get. It really dominates the flavor profile, and is just not very enjoyable. Also, as seems to be typical with macro swill from AB-Inbev, there's a gassiness to this beer that is unpleasant, giving me something of a bloated feeling. Mouthfeel is fairly smooth and slick, but is otherwise pretty light and watery.

Mehhh.... as expected, this beer sucks. I guess I would call it better than regular bud lite, but then regular BL is one the nastiest beers on the planet. One and done for me...

2.05/5  rDev -10.1%

I saw this during the Superbowl and recall finding it to be the most hilarious and entertaining commercial. Probably not what they intended.

Appearance: I poured this into a high class snifter; I usually reserve this for my good beers like Bourbon County Brand Stout or §ucaba. With a viscous pour I got a nice one inch thick virgin white head. The body is actually a nice looking golden hue. Looking back at the head and it's already gone. Like it was never there at all. I watch a bubble stream float it's way to the surface.

Smell: From a foot and a half away suddenly I'm not sitting in my home. I'm back in the action. My last cup still on the table with a ping pong ball in it. My partner already missed his one rebuttal. I bounce the ball on the table and look at my two opponents mocking me with various distracting poses. Shouts telling me to hurry up impede my focus. I bounce the ball again on the table and envision victory. My arm cocks back in a way that will be drilled into muscle memory for all time and I release... I take their cups from their side and raise it to my face in defeat.... that smell.... brings me back.

Taste: It's a "more flavor" bud-light. But is it a flavor you want? No. Well actually I've had worse beers. This beer taste bad in a blah way and now that there is more flavor you get that "Blah" taste even more.

Mouthfeel: I drank this beer very cold and very fast.

Overall: If I could go back in time and have the money I'd only play beer pong with this beer. It really hides the 6.0% very well.

2.15/5  rDev -5.7%

Honestly, not a terrible beer. It pours like a bud light. Its pretty bad, but not the worst. Looks like BL. translucent light straw with no head. Shared with George Adams. It smells like light toffee and caramel, but i mean its so subdued that its hard to find.

Honestly, it doesnt taste offensive at first, but it develops into something awful. the extra malt just adds the same malt flavors, but just more of them. Feels light and crisp.

1.86/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Pours from its classy, premium blue bottle with a small head of white foam that disappears very quickly and leaves no lace. The body is a perfectly clear, golden color.

S - A sweet, grainy note with a hint of green apple.

T - Sweet, thick bready notes up front. Some green apple and grainy character in the middle and a fairly clean finish with just a touch of artificial sweetener.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly dry finish.

D - So, despite the incredibly upscale packaging this pretty much tastes like Bud Light with some nutrasweet in it. In fact, I am pretty sure I just cracked the secret of Bud Light Platinum, time to stake out the local AB brewery and try to get a picture of the truck delivering loads of fake sugar.

1.38/5  rDev -39.5%

This beer pours pale yellow with fizzy bubbles and wispy head. Aroma is of crackly sweet adjuncts, corn and rice?

Taste is fizzy and astringent, bitter and not in a good way. No trace of aromatic hops, but cloying sweet rice and cereal.

Finishes like sour milk, very gross. It gives me gas and a headache. I can't stand it.

2.39/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a very pale gold with a one finger white head that fades instantly. You can't even pretend to give me some head retention here? Cmon

S- a light aroma of corn and malts...it doesn't smell AWFUL, but not great either

T- actually....it doesn't taste bad. I'd put it a notch above Bud Light. Mild sweetness, no bitterness at all....very refreshing, to be honest

M- very thin and watery texture and body

O- you could do a lot worse for a light lager. The alcohol is hidden very well. For what it is, it's excellent

2.48/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Extremely pale (almost clear when pouring) and completely clear straw. Medium sized fizzy white head. Fades relatively quickly. Little scribbles of lacing here and there.

S: Almost no aroma. I get a tiny bit of corn and bready malt. Barely perceptible.

T: Corn and then a touch of grainy bread on the back end. Some sweetness comes through, especially as it warms.

M: Somewhat watery.

O: Well, I'm trying to be objective here. I gave it low scores, but it's not horrible. It doesn't taste like hot trash. It didn't give me herpes (yet). It just has almost no aroma or taste, so how can I give it much of a score? Basically some mild adjuncts and cereal grain and that is it. It is drinkable, of course. Why wouldn't it be, it's not really all that far from water. What's more drinkable than water? If I had no other options and I wanted to get drunk quickly and easily, why not pick this beer?

3.35/5  rDev +46.9%

This is Bud Light with more alchol content...it is good and not much else to be said.

Definetly a good tailgate beer, and a great beer to have while working in the yard or while grilling out with your buddies.

I recommend it but beer snobs will more than likely diss it as it is not complex or a micro brew.

1.38/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a Pilsner Glass, bought this as part of a mix-a-six

Appearance - Very pale straw yellow color which almost looks white. This looks like straight up urine you'd find in a doctor's office.

Smell - Steamed Cooked Veggies, Cereal Grains, and Alcohol. It's like they took Bud Light and added some extra alcohol in here. This does not smell good at all!

Taste - Everything that was bad about the smell is not much better in the flavor. Cooked Sweet Corn, cereal grains, and rubbing alcohol. It's like they took Bud Light and added some Everclear to it.

Mouthfeel - This beer is super-carbonated, but at least it's crisp feeling....not that it helps any! Also, I'm getting a headache from this thing, and I'm not even done with it yet

Overall - This is an insult to the word "beer". You see.... beer should be a wonderful thing, not an ugly abomination like this. I'm going to sum it up in one phrase directed at Anheuser-Busch "This beer is bad and you should feel bad!"

1.91/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Snappy blue bottle. Pours clear pale yellow with a fizzy finger of foam that persists. Smell is breads and grains. Taste reminded me immedately of a sort of lightweight champale. Maybe a low sugar moscato. I only get the faintest hint of 'beer' taste. It's mildly sweet, fizzy, grainy. You can detect the bud light family genes as well. We worked our way through half a twelve pack. After drinking several from the bottle, one from a glass, my brother Chris added half a bottle to some orange juice and stated that it made a passably decent mimosa. I'm sure people that dislike the beer flavor of beer will really go for Platinum.

2.8/5  rDev +22.8%

Remarkable. This has got to be the most flavorless beer I've ever experienced. The faintest bit of sweet corn and a touch of alcohol and that's it.
However, I would label this beer a resounding success in that I believe this is exactly what AB was trying to produce. Truly a beer for people who don't like the taste of beer.
I can't say it's not drinkable either. It's highly drinkable because there's just not anything there to dislike flavor-wise.
A cold one on a hot day would be fine, but I like the taste of beer and therefore would pass on this.

3.11/5  rDev +36.4%

This particular brew is uneventful. Slightly sweeter mouthfeel than the original Bud Light, and has a sharper acidity. It is not a bad beer, but the smell is reminiscent of bad, stale bread. I would try it once to get it out of your system, then to other brews it is...

1.5/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Thin white foam dissapates quickly ou of the bottle. Leaves a few trace elements of residual foam on he surface, looks more like an oil slick than lacing. Hyper carbonated. Medium yellow, crystal clear body - looks like concentrated urine (the dehydrated type).

Smell: Slightly stronger smell (with the same profile) as Bud Light. Odor of earthy-wheaty maybe rice(y) grains with definite strong, malty overtones (like malt liquor).

Taste: Slightly, malty sweet on the front end. Tastes like a cross between the dry, acrid taste of Bud Light and Mickeys. Hrrrggh... Kinda throws me off.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Slightly heavier than a regular bud with a sort of buttery smoothness.

I would say its not an improvement over Bud Light but its definitely stronger. I'll be enjoying that later tonight at Lazer Tag.

2.49/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Very pale and clear golden color with a thin white head that recedes pretty quickly.

S: Kind of gross. Nothing but sweet malt and grain. Very malt liquor-ish.

T: Again, the sweetness is a bit much with nothing else in there to stand up to it. Some boiled corn, grain and bready yeast on the finish that grows as it warms. This is far from being the worst thing out there, but it's still not good.

2.25/5  rDev -1.3%

A-Pours golden and clear. Slight head with not much lacing.

S-Smells like a boozier BL. Grains and a lack of other smells. Just that unmistakble BL smell but more intense.

T-Bud Light with more intensity. Boozier. Grainier. Still light andwatery. Would have expected it be grosser. It is gross but not as gross as I was expecting it to be.

M-Light still. Bubbly. A bit boozy. Watery. Still has a light fee.

O/D-Thought it would be worse but it still blew.

2.38/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Pours out a clear, yellow body with a small, fizzly, white head that doesn't stick around for long. A few trails of effervescence fail to support the head.

Smell: Just a small sniff of husky bland barley and booze.

Taste: Faintly grainy with a scant cereal sweetness. A little booze. It's akin to a baby malt liquor. Sweetish, lightly husky, lightly astringent finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: It's bad when a beer makes you want a Bud Light.

2.25/5  rDev -1.3%

Anheuser-Bush sure can market a product! This beer accomplishes the goal of what I believe many of the drinkers who buy this product want to accomplish, get a buzz faster. I was suckered into purchasing this beer from the marketing campaign and the electric blue bottle. This beer tastes much like its Bud Light roots a rice/corn blended taste with an almost malt-liquor mouth feel. Many people who enjoy Bud Light will probably enjoy this as well.

3.31/5  rDev +45.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours an extremely clear, pale yellow hue with a humungous, billowing, pillowy bright white head that slowly fizzed away into a faint scum. Sparse soapy lace.
S: Not much. I get a hint of some yeast and peppery spice. Very light.
T: Sweet and doughy notes of lightly bready malt and a hint of peppery, spicy, hops and lager yeast. Not much to the taste but it seems sweeter and breadier than normal BL.
M: Body is fuller than regular BL and the mouthfeel is less watery. Carbonation is definitely fuller as well although I would say its fuller when drinking straight out of the bottle than poured into the glass.
O: I find Coors to be better than Budweiser in general because I get a nasty aftertaste in AB products. This however, was actually quite clean and crisp. Given the choice, this trumps regular BL. Pretty drinkable actually, and not terrible as it warms.

1.97/5  rDev -13.6%

pours out of the blue bottle a pale straw yellow colour with a quickly dissipating snow white head leaving no lace. corny, cereal aroma...a bit of a highly attentuated malt liquor aroma. the taste is also reminiscent of malt liquor...sweet adjunct taste, sort of unpleasant actually. i like the occasional malt liquor, but mostly stick with miller products as A-B varieties just mostly taste bad to me. and this one is really no different. shallow body and a semi-cloying, carbonated mouthfeel. drinakability really isn't that good either. i drank this after a long walk when i knew i would be thirsty, and it did not hit the spot, as say, regular Budweiser often does for me.

overall a disappointment, and i wasn't expecting much. i hope my wife wants to drink the rest of six pack.

2.06/5  rDev -9.6%

Felt bad to ask for a glass. So I didn't. It was free, thanks Valencio.

Smelled like apple and wet cardboard. Soggy grains, wet cereal.
Tasted similar, more apple and soggy graininess. It has a touch more malt flavor than standard issue Bud Light. Mild taste, flaccid feel, utterly dull and insipid flavor wise. Biting astringent carbonation, watery aftertaste. Pretty much bullshit any way you slice it... whee, liquid garbage.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch