Bud Light Platinum | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Light Lager

Added by DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Ratings: 1,857 |  Reviews: 340
3.35/5  rDev +46.9%

12oz bottle served in a Bud Light NY Giants pint glass.

L - clear yellow color with a thin white head that thinned to a light ring leaving a spot or two.

S - grainy aroma.

T - sweeter than regular BL but it's a sweet grainy taste all the same.

F - light bodied and it goes down real easy.

O - a bit better than BL and the boost in abv makes it more fun.

2.5/5  rDev +9.6%

2.47/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Pours a crystal clear, pale gold with a white, half finger head. Sub-par retention. Traces of microbubbles left on the surface. Spotty lacing with poor stick.

Smell - Sweet, syrupy aroma. Not much else.

Taste - Some initial grain and a corn syrupy sweetness gives way to a slight alcohol burn near the end before an abrupt, clean finish. Fairly Bland.

Mouthfeel - Light in body with fair crispness. Semi-dry finish.

Overall - About what I expected, though I did think there was going to be a little more bite from the alcohol. To me, the only redeeming factor this has going for it is the incredibly beautiful cobalt blue bottle. It gives off an eye popping, trance inducing glow that's very calming. I just might hang on to it for a while. The verdict? Better than Bud Light, but nothing I'll spend my money on again.

2.15/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

**Edit, 3/23/16**. I re-reviewed this beer ice cold and to be honest it's not the mess I remember. It's a very crisp, more flavorful Bud Light with a few more adjunct off flavors (fruity esters, ethanol, dirty grains) but all in all better than the standard Bud Light. I've adjusted my scores accordingly. (Original overall score was 1.13/5)

So considering I just reviewed Bud Light, I figured I might as well crack the single of Bud Light PLATINUM I have sitting in my fridge. This is the FIRST time I've ever had this beer so you're going to get the full force of whatever I have to offer. It may not be pretty. You stand warned.

Serving Style : pretty 12 oz blue glass bottle, poured into a Miller Fortune glass.

Appearance (1.5) : I love the blue bottle. I'll keep it to put in my man cave. I think the appeal is the jewel blue bottle and the higher alcohol content. I digress.

Pouring...

So, could this beer could get any paler? Crystal transparency. I could read a book through it! I've seen Chardonnay more opaque! Even lighter colored than regular Bud Light (I have a good comparison as I just poured it moments ago), and the head is about the same - minimal and recedes rapidly. Dud city.

Smell (2) : Slightly boozy, much like bud light but with a larger bouquet; granola, corn, clean swimming pool, leather... something that smells good and is reminiscent of a good time in life but I can't quite put a finger on. I'm just gonna say I like the smell better than regular Bud Light.

Taste (-1) : Whoa. Hold everything. This is like an unwanted kiss from an ugly girl. Corn lager explosion with heavy booze and a finish of artificial chemical awfulness I'm not even gonna try to describe. This is horrible. Cough syrup - I'm getting freaking cough syrup here. Faint faint fruit loops. What the hell???

Mouthfeel (1) : Oily mouthfeel with unbearably heavy carbonation. Dry rubbing alcohol on the finish. I don't think it can get much worse.

Overall (1.13) : This is like a triple distilled malt liquor that finishes like rubbing alcohol. It has flavors but they're all off. It's like I'm drinking watered down malted bleach and antiseptic mixed with cheap vodka. If you hate yourself you'll drink this beer. This is honestly the worst, most horrible beer I've ever laid lips to. This is liquid feces from the depths of hell. My natural, uncensored reaction to this is "holy s**t this is bad". Who approved this out of the brewery? Furthermore, who are the sick people that buy this stuff? I'm going to flag down and warn anybody who tries to buy this beer from our gas station. I think I'll go pour this out now...

2.2/5  rDev -3.5%

Bottle into pint glass...not sure why but I at least wanted to give this a try.

A - Pours yellow, fizzy, looks like water.

S - Smells like a grain mill, pond water, and metal.

T - Tastes like a grain mill, pond water, and metal.

M - Light body, fizzy carbonation, drinks like water.

O - Why did I do this? Oh well, at least now I know I won't have to worry about ticking this any longer. Below average light lager.

1.5/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Very light, very clear straw. Near white, small head, some cling lace. Lots of cascading bubbles.

S - Corn mash, mostly , hidden malt and hops.

T - Like a watered down 'malt liquor'. Personally, that is an improvement.

M - Light body, good carb, balance is whatever.

D - Hot day, or a quick buzz, not a bad option for ABV and lightness.

1.45/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Bottle (2012)

Big thanks to Alucard4 for the gift!

A very light straw color. No head, even after an incredibly aggressive pour. Leaves the glass nearly clean.

Very little aroma whatsoever. Smells a bit like bread or corn but that might be my imagination. There certainly isn't much.

The taste follows the nose which means there isn't much here at all. No bitterness, very little malt, and corn. This is awful.

The mouthfeel is similar to water.

Worse than Bud Light. Better than Bud Light Chelada. There you have it.

2.77/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Very light, straw-colored beer with a short-lived fizz-up, like something out of a commercial. What's left after thirty seconds? A tiny ring and spotty surface foam.

Crisp, and somewhat clean, adjunct grain aromas. Rice is a guess. Well-lagered. Smooth with hints of husks and steeliness. Not very bright.

Sharp and a little sweet. Cooked veggies, husky grain, fusel, and a kiss of pseudo-floral hop bite. Easy to drink. 6% might seem invasive for a Bud Light drinker, but this has a good sensibility to its strength. Has some body to work with, if not, too wooly and/or oily for an adjunct lager. Dial down the carbonation, or maybe just distribute it a bit, and you have a decent feel, strangely enough. Put-together like a science experiment, it really could be a solid go-to for pale lager drinkers.

2.75/5  rDev +20.6%

2.15/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance: Clear, straw-colored body, crowned by a modest, coarse white head, which dissipates rater quickly. The carbonation is sparse, and fast-rising.

Aroma: Modest aroma of cooked corn and mineral water, and a faint hop presence.

Taste: Begins with cereal and cooked grain, these carry throughout. Modest hop notes appear late in the taste. Finishes dry with a faint metallic bitterness.

Mouth feel: Thin, with somewhat harsh soda-like carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Rather mediocre, to say the least. It seems like little more than mineral water.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce cobalt blue long-neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Source: Purchased at Wal-Mart in Texas as a selection of a Brewmaster's Choice build-your-own six-pack for $8.99.

2.92/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Tried for the first time as a palate cleanser. Had no idea the ABV was 6%.

Honestly, it's pretty good for what it is. It has a nice crisp, clean flavor that's very light despite the higher ABV. I could easily pound a few of these at a get-together.

For an AAL, this absolutely holds up.

2.24/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Aluminum bottle (if its container is aluminum I review it as a can, even if it does have a bottle cap).
Pours out a clear, yellow liquid. I got a huge mountain of merangue-like head, foam lasted a long time, leaving thin lace strings. A few bubble lines continue up from the bottom of the glass.
Smells a bit like sour grain or other wet cereal.
Taste has some light grain, or other sweetness. Sourish, acidic finish. More alcohol burn than I was expecting, not too overpowering, but still present.
Light bodied, medium carbonation.
Trying to be objective...About what I was expecting - a strong light beer ?!?

1.98/5  rDev -13.2%

Huge thanks to Alucard4 for getting me this dime piece before the public even had a chance to purchase it all up

Look: golden yellow in color with a 1/4 inch head no retention and spotty lacing and lots of carbonation

Smell: grass pale malt and not much else

Taste: Is much of the same as the nose. Starts out with a wonderful boring pale malt flavor backed up by some straw notes. The whopping 6% is not noticeable at all

Mouthfeel. Thin body ample carbonation

Overall: This is slightly better than bud light but still not really worth drinking

1.75/5  rDev -23.2%

1.09/5  rDev -52.2%

If only it was made of platinum, you could take it to one of those coin and jewelry stores and sell it! can tell any difference from regular Bud Light, I do like the velvet finish of this beer that's about it.

1.25/5  rDev -45.2%

2.09/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch