Bud Light Platinum | Anheuser-Busch

Style: Light Lager

Added by DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Reviews: 337 | Ratings: 1,830
1.61/5  rDev -29.4%

I bought a 6 pack and had them over a few days. They were born in Januaryof 2012.

Appearance: A pale gold or straw color. Poured into a pilsener glass and achieved about a finger of foam which quickly disappeared leaving no lacing. Fair carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: I am not being mean here. This smelled like detergent. Thought my glass may not have been rinsed completely but all six of them smelled the same.

Taste: There is very little taste. Slight hops but mostly nothing.

Mouthfeel: Thin. You can feel the alcohol on your tongue which at 6% you should. Finishes smooth and semi-dry.

Overall: This is disappointing. Even as a light lager this leaves a lot to be desired. There was a great deal of hype building up to this product being released but for me I won't be having this again. AB offers other light lagers that more pleasing than this one.

2.68/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle into pint glass.

A- The color is similar to piss on a somewhat well-hydrated day. A two inch white fizzy head similar to that of sprite or 7up lasted about a minute. Carbonation continued to bubble to the surface as the beer sat. Better looking than most adjunct garbage.

S- Smells of slightly sour dry grass/hay. Biscuity malts and bland adjuncts dominate with a bit of sweet corn and very little hop aroma.

T- Much sweeter tasting than a typical Budweiser. White bread with honey and a bit a caramel. Good maltiness. This actually tastes much better than the Coors Light I drank before.

M- Not thin! Lots of carbonation, as is the custom with American cheap lagers. Good body for a light beer.

O- Platinum far exceeds my expectations. That is not to say it is a great beer

1.53/5  rDev -32.9%

Really not much to say that I'm sure hasn't been said already. No real appearance to speak of. Not really any smell or taste that I'm guessing was the intention. Overall really just a alcohol delivery device. And I'm my opinion not a very good one. Bourbon works faster and taste better in my opinion.

2.24/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This tastes like Bud Light with half a jigger of vodka added. How can a beer that is only 6% taste alcoholic...but it does! Otherwise well made. No off flavors, just very little ANY flavors.

3.85/5  rDev +68.9%

Poured into glass it looks like its counter parts, but very carbonated. Smell was like Bud but with a little bit more behind the smell maybe an extra sniff of hops, it taste pretty good to me it is very smooth and easy to drink. Overall I think its one of Anheuser-Busch's coolest creation lately I mean more alcohol than bud and less calories I mean can't go wrong there.

2.4/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a transparent, third to fourth piss of the night yellow. It has a 1" dish soap white head. No lacing to speak of. The smell is corn, sweet. Just like original bud light. Taste ... Hmmm. Corn, sweet bread. Almost like those Hawaiian dinner rolls. Adequate carbonation. I can't really say that I prefer platinum over any of their other products. A little more alcohol and 8 less calories. I guess that's what makes this attractive to some. Glad I got it in a mix 6 and didn't have to buy 6 of these.

1.06/5  rDev -53.5%

I picked up a 12 pack in bottles because I was curious about Bud coming out with a 6% abv AND they offered a $4.00 rebate. I thought, I'll give it try for $8.00 since it's the holidays and I like to keep a few lite fizzy beers on hand for my family. In a word...terrible. It has no smell, taste, mouthfeel, lacing or head. I can honestly say that I would never recommend this beer to anyone.

2.94/5  rDev +28.9%

Bud Light Platinum cannot be judged as a craft beer because it's not and it's not trying to be. What it is trying to be is a high alcohol content light American lager with mass appeal. In this, they have succeeded. It's a approachable beer that requires less work to get drunk (and I think that's the whole point). It has most of the distinguishing characteristics of regular Bud Light; refreshing smell, crystal clear and fizzy, faded gold color. The higher alcohol content is masked by a sweetness that is muted and vague but surprisingly pleasant. If I ever find myself at a frat party again, however unlikely that may be, I just might bring this one along.

1.52/5  rDev -33.3%

A: poured from a 12oz bottle to a frosty iced pint glass. It left about a 4" head that I had to scoop out to finish pouring. Kinda looks like carbonated urine.

S: bready, malty, alcohol, not much else here

T: breast malt that finishes with a hefty taste of alcohol. Taste like it smells, but not as bad as it looks

M: very high carbonation, clean and watered down

O: this is a terrible beer, it's not balanced at all. The only reason I grabbed it is because the gas station didn't have any good beer and figured I'd give it a shot...

1.91/5  rDev -16.2%

A- Pale yellow-clear with a large but thin head that goes away as coke does.

S- Like my college house after we had a kegger the night before, almost cider-ish but some bad grain in there too.

T- A little sweet and watery. Not much flavor at all, others say it has more flavor than normal BL but I would say it is considerably less. Not bad, but not really anything there.

M- Like carbonated water, no body and very crisp finish.

O- If I wanted to get hammered this would be easy to do it with. Has little flavor and is extremely easy to drink, however if I want to enjoy a cheap beer then this isn't it. This gimmick of a beer is definitely the 6% abv and that its "platinum".

How this is only ranked one point higher than Miller Lite I'll never know. It has a lot more flavor than Miller Lite and the hint of sweetness is pretty nice.

2.26/5  rDev -0.9%

One finger head fades quickly. Almost totally clear yellow color. Appears very watered down. Smells like a cheap beer. Average taste. Goes down smooth but lacks any depth. Overall It's basically bud light with more alcohol in it. It tastes almost exactly the same. Good because of the extra alcohol but its still as watered down as every Budweiser beer ever.

1.57/5  rDev -31.1%

A - Drank directly out of the bottle, but from what I could gather by looking at it through the blue bottle (which is pretty cool, but doesn't make the beer any better), looks like the regular, run of the mill light beer.

S - Smells like beer. A little more beery than the usual light beer, but nothing special. Can't pick up on the "high ABV" this beer claims to have at all.

T - Bud Light. That is what this tastes like. Bud Light with a little more beer in it maybe...

M - Thought I was drinking water for a few moments. Has no carbonation really, and doesn't have that beer feel most beers have.

O - It's a good idea for people who like light beer and want to get drunk, but for those of us who actually have taste buds and a functioning brain, I'd definitely avoid this beer.

1.41/5  rDev -38.2%

The beer poured pale with a healthy dose of carbonation. Didn't look terrible, but didn't give the extra frothy head you'd hope to see that resembles a cartoonish poor of a standard issue American Pilsner.

Very stylish blue bottle with platinum writing that looks like it should contain some uber-hipster vodka as opposed to a "top shelf" beer. I can see people drinking this in some trendy club listening to Zombie Nation, or lunkheads in college raving about "DUDE IT HAS MORE ALCOHOL" before downing a dozen of them and ralphing up a chunky blend of cafeteria processed chicken patties and this unflattering swill.

Drank it out of a bottle, but it still tasted like I sipped it from a rusty can. Tastes very similar to Bud Light but filtered through a cheesecloth lined with old pennies. They somehow made Bud Light worse,

I guess it is what it is, and I wasn't expecting anything great, or good, or passable, or tolerable. Yeah it's pretty bad.

Strongest recommendation to avoid. Try seltzer water, but instead of fresh water some type of recycled gray water sitting in a boiler room basin

cheers!

1.5/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A Bottle poured into a mug, light yellow, small white head that leaves quickly, very little lacing.

S Bread, corn

T Corn, metallic, bland

M Carbonation, bland, watery, can feel the 6% alcohol in my mouth and not much else.

O Bought a sixer for 6.99 to give it a try, won't buy it again. It is too bland for my tastes. Would drink Bud Ice over this. The blue bottles are cool though.

Poured this "beer" from is blue bottle into my Sam Adam's perfect pint glass. Bought it because I had to try this platinum beer, the guy at the store really tried to sell me a whole 6pack since "its really good. It tastes like Bud Light with a kick, kinda boozy but good" The same guy who has watched me come in and go straight to the craft and only purchase craft.

A- Pours perfectly urine yellow with no head, no lacing. Has an odd bright, almost florescent color in the glass. Definately brighter than a normal BL. Maybe the extra corn syrup.

S- Smells like stale swill that is a day old in a bar mat, with some cheap Popov vodka spilled over too. Is there even hops in there?

T- Tastes like a Bud Light that was frozen then thawed out, poured into a glass and served ice cold(just like left over beers in college that were hidden in your trunk in the winter)

O- Wow. Thiis is exactly what you would expect if Belgium and Missouri had inbred love child with too many chromosomes. BL, you have solidly made another horrible overpriced beer that needs to "enjoyed" ice, ice cold for it to even be remotely palatable. Im glad you poured millions of dollars to shove it down peoples throats as the next great thing. Good job, Im glad you know your audience- Kanye's "Runaway" for the commercial. Great lyrics too.
Let’s have a toast for the douchebags!
Let’s have a toast for the assholes!
Let’s have a toast for the scumbags
Every one of them that I know
Let’s have a toast for the jerkoffs

Another swing and a miss. Now to decide to pour it down my throat or the sink....

3.4/5  rDev +49.1%

Finally found a cheap beer that is decent enough to border on enjoyable. Smooth on the front, slightly sweet and ever so slightly spicy on the finish. Almost as if they made a 50/50 mix of club soda and duvel. For a dollar more for a 12 pack then regular bud light, thus definitely will be my go to party session beer.

3.3/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Light straw color white small shot lasting head.
Aroma: Non-distinct beer smell
Flavor: Very light malt taste. Smooth flavorful beer. Has medium light watery body, with a smooth carbonation.
Overall: I give this beer a B-grade based only it’s style. Not being a fan of light beer, I happened to sample one at a family cook out. To my surprise this beer has a nice flavor. With the body of carbonated water, its too light for my taste. Although it boast 6% ABV it's  not noticed in the taste, nor body.

2.99/5  rDev +31.1%

This is a great party beer, goes down like water, has a decent alcohol content, and doesn't taste too bad either. Has a light straw color with a lot of carbonation and is relatively smooth.

1.68/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

While this beer is crap, at least it has more alcohol than the other mass-produced swill that the big three makes. I first had this on a trip to California and couple of buddies and I split a 12 pack and we were not disappointed.

Overall, it's crap, mass produced beer, but if you're looking for a buzz, it's better than bud heavy/light.

3.15/5  rDev +38.2%

Jeeez! you would think this stuff is brewed with toxic waste and camel piss from so many of the ultra Poor reviews here on "Beer SNOB Advocate" ...why is it that so many of you yuppie scumbag morons have to slag EVERY single American made "Macro Lager" there is? hey,I am NOT a "Light Beer" guy,and I drink ALL kinds of Beers/ales,in fact in my fridge right now I have ,"Ballast Point Sculpin & Big Eye IPA,Sierra Nevada Pale ale,Torpedo,and Celebration,Porter & stout,also have some olde English 800,colt 45,Schlitz malt liquor" OML" and a bunch of Macro Lagers too~ Bud/Coors/Pabst/Schlitz...I LOVE all kinds of beer is my point, but reading some [most] of the reviews here about "Bud Light Platinum" it makes me really hate all you "Beer Snobs" even more,so it is not a gr8 beer,but for a light American made Macro lager,it is not bad @ all,I would 4sure serve this beer @ BBQ's,with steamed shrimp/Crabs,or any sort of get together where all you want is a cold ,crisp,refreshing beer that does not weigh you down or fill you up,and as far as "Light Beers" go..I actually like this one quite a bit, STOP rating beers the WRONG way yuppie scum,rate them for their style,and do not compare them to your favorite Craft Beer that cost 20 bucks a 6er! hope all yer BMW's blow a piston~whiny clowns...

1.56/5  rDev -31.6%

I don't normally review beers I'm sure I won't enjoy, but since a friend already made the mistake of paying money for this stuff, I gave it a whirl.

Pale clear yellow, like yellowish water. The only thing I smell is yeast, smells like the trub you leave behind in your brewing pail.

I'd love to say that it tastes nasty, offensive or terrible, but the truth is that it really doesn't have a taste. It's like bubbly water with some corn extract flavor. I've had worse tasting beers, but at least they tasted like beer. This is nothing. Not worth the time at all.

2.03/5  rDev -11%

A- Pours a very clear piss yellow with a 1 finger white head that fades instantly.

S- Almost no aroma. What there is smells of corn, sweet malts, booze and skunk. Thanks stupid blue bottle.

T- Sweet corn, malt an booze. No bitterness at all and a strange sweet metallic after taste.

M- VERY thin, watery texture and body. Smooth. Too much carbonation.

O- This beer is sort of baby malt liquer poorly done. Another crap product from Anheuser-Busch. This is one that I will avoid and would choose most other beers over this one.

Glass: Dimpled Mug

1.11/5  rDev -51.3%

A good beer for emotionally distraught college girls who have never drank a good beer, but would like to spend a little extra money on a beer they think is premium but is actually the same shit as bud light.

2.8/5  rDev +22.8%

First, I want to say that this is too expensive for what it is. And what it is, is a very confused beer.

The blue bottles are unique and get a thumbs up. I didn't pour it out of the bottle, so I can't judge the appearance.

Smell's like Bud light...bug surprise there! Corn, rice, etc prevail.

Taste is a let-down. This is supposed to be a craft light beer--whatever that is. Very sweet taste, which doesn't hide the 6.0% abv at all. Give me a King Cobra instead and I'd be much more pleased.

Mouth feel is light, so it did achieve that for the style. Lots of carbonation, almost seems artificially carbonated.

Overall, this is a light beer trying to be a malt liquor, or a malt liquor trying to be a light beer. Identity crisis? Yes! A-B should put it in tall cans and 40s and call it a day.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch