Shadow's Wild Black | Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by TMoney2591 on 04-08-2012

There was no redeeming quality to this beer...hang on, can we even call this beer??? No matter, regardless it is a horrible twist on beer. Sure, plenty of breweries decide to add fruit to beer, sometimes to great effect. This? Not so much. Imagine you have a bunch of blackberries.....and you let them sit for a long time, as if you are making a very dry blackberry wine. Then you take a sub par beer (one that you would not drink even on it's own) and decide to add this blackberry juice/paint stripper to the beer. Voila! Wild Black!

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

1.48/5  rDev -37%

In my defense, this beer was purchase as the filler beer to complete a pick-a-six. From the label, I would not have known this is A-B. I did not know until I looked on BA, so I prepared for foul swill.

In appearance, it looked like a thinned version of IHOP's blueberry pancake syrup. There was a very slight white head with a purple tint after pouring. In the appearance, there is little that resembles beer. There is a liquor blackberry aroma which reminds me of schnapps. It also reminds me a little of a fountain soda. The initial taste is bubbly cough syrup. Normally when I drink Nyquil, I don't have 11 more ounces to go after the first sip. On the sides of the tongue, it runs very tart. There is nothing in the taste that makes me think this is beer. The mouthfeel is bubbly like a soda, but has the sticky mediciney taste of cough syrup. The aftertaste continues to remind me of cough syrup as the medicine notes linger in the back of the throat. This beer really is as bad as the scores suggest.

1.54/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Had Wild Blue a few years back and it remains one of the worst concoctions I've ever had. For some reason, I was in a Total Wine about a year and a half ago and saw this and thought, "Man, it can't be worse that Wild Blue. But I HAVE to know how bad it is." Walked out of there, only then remembering how torturous the experience of drinking Wild Blue really was, and then parked this in my fridge, where it has sat for 18 months. I'm moving soon, so it's time to clear some inventory. Even if it kills me.

A: Pours a deep purple color, similar to wild blue. Has a faint tinge of purple to the head, but nothing crazy alarming just yet. Definitely looks like more of a Juice Squeeze than beer, but I've had weird looking beer that tasted good before. Who knows...

S: Nope, this is gonna suck. A sickeningly sweet artificial blackberry monster attacks the nostrils immediately. Behind it are "notes" of chlorine, concord grape, artificial blueberry, wet cardboard and what I would imagine dog vomit would smell like if that dog had just scarfed a BUNCH of Starbursts.

T: Scared to do this after the smell, but it's a little too late now. For science! A faint dash of faded hop sourness is first, but it's quickly obliterated by sweet and sticky notes of grape jelly, pureed raisin and blackberry Robitussin (if that's a thing). There's a brief really sweet wine-like note towards the end, kind of like those fruity berry Arbor Mist things that you used to see those dumb commercials for with dudes jumping on trampolines. Leaves a lingering note on the tongue that's somewhere between what it would taste like if you blended blackberries with tar and pure shame. Somehow, this is better than Wild Blue, but that's kind of like saying that Pizza Beer is better than Rogue's Voodoo Maple Bacon Ale. Bottom of the barrel caliber stuff here. Just say no, my friends.

1.55/5  rDev -34%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a dark ruby red, burgundy color with a light pinkish, purpley white head. Bubbles are fleeting with little retention and leave no trace of lacing.

Doesn't smell like a beer, not even really a fruit beer. If anything, a wine coolor or cocktail. Nothing but berries, though it's fairly subdued.

Tastes like grape juice.

Doesn't feel like a beer, more like a glass of 7 UP with some grape juice added. It's mostly sweet, overly so, with some fizz for feel and bubbles. No hop presence, just a nice burn from the carbonation and acid.

Overall, it's not a beer. I knew it would suck, just wanted to check off another beer in my quest to try them all.

1.56/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Poured a clear purple with a fingers worth of pink foamy head the dissipated very quickly to nothing with just a touch of lacing. Looks nothing like beer, more like Welch's Grape Juice.

S: OK... Smells like blackberries and cherry flavored Nyquil.

T: First thing I'm getting is the sweet blackberries, but that quickly goes tart, then quickly to cherry flavored Nyquil. The aftertaste is a strange mix of sweet blackberries and Nyquil.

M: Light bodied, crisp and sharp with a dry finish.

O: OK, this tastes nothing like beer to me.... More like a wine cooler mixed with Nyquil.... Not a tasty combination. Not something I'll be coming back too.

1.62/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

I hardly review beer any more. I mean, I love beer and all, but I've reached a point where I don't feel the need to try out and take notes on everything under the sun, and many's the beer I've tossed in the back of the fridge for later, telling myself that I didn't want to put the effort into reviewing it just yet. And many of those have ultimately ended up being drunk but un-reviewed because I got tired of waiting.

Part of it is probably that it's winter now and most of my favorite brews are out and most of the beer I have here are like old familiar friends. But wait, suddenly there's a knock on the door! A Wild Black appears!

Barging into your homely house like Aunt Frieda on one of her famous five-day Mr. Boston benders, Wild Black's red and rosy cheeks reek of sugary sweet blackberry and taste like the Robotussin you'll be needing when Frieda's sloppy kisses leave you flu-ridden and nauseous. You'll smooth things over in the name of family togetherness, but you'd be wise to lock your doors to the ol' beast in the future.

TL;DR: Like bobbing for gummy bears in a bucket of Nyquil.

1.69/5  rDev -28.1%

You're probally better off buying a 4loko. High-Body, sweet and artificial. The stench is overpowering. Grape, Grape, Grape... Not Black berry, it was was fizzy like a carbonated drink but not like a lager. This is a glorified wine-cooler, wife-beaing juice.

1.75/5  rDev -25.5%

1.75/5  rDev -25.5%

1.83/5  rDev -22.1%

Dark purple with a thin light purple fizzy head which fades quickly leaving a spotty lace. Smells like artificial blackberries, and is overly sweet.

Tastes like overly sweet fake blackberries. There is no bitterness for balance. Has a bit of a cough syrup taste. What were they thinking?

Syrupy with low carbonation and not worth trying again. Not recommended.

1.98/5  rDev -15.7%

This one pours like a deep dark glass of grape juice ruby tinted light comes through, head is a purple tinted color with fine lacing that becomes speckled as it sits for a bit. Aroma has tart vinous berry notes, I can't tell you it's blackberry from any other berry infused product out there. However, the flavor is horrible literally soaked with alcohol and tart/sweet gag inducing foulness. This beer is not what I want in any terms of the word beer, it lacks anything refreshing. Another four loko wannabe, 8 percent alcohol by volume just doesn't do it for me. When the only flavors I can give you are watery berry, alcohol, and carbonation. Okay it's straight cough syrup in a bottle burns with alcohol and generic berry fruit. Carbonation and mouthfeel is a bit rougher in this one. I will officially never drink any beer from this series again.

Shadow's Wild Black from Anheuser-Busch