Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Shadow's Wild Black | Anheuser-Busch

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%

4.25/5  rDev +67.3%

2.53/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours very dark with purple hues when held to light. Some spotty lacing and only about have a finger of fizzy head.

S: Grape soda (or, I guess in this case, blackberry soda). That is really the only aroma I get. Doesn't smell like beer at all.

T: This isn't beer. It tastes like grape soda. I like grape soda, so this tastes good to me. But as far as beers go, this does not taste like beer.I wouldn't be surprised if this was brewed with no hops.

M: Thin and spritzy, like carbonated water or soda. I can't believe it is 8% abv, though. The alcohol is hidden incredibly well.

O: I know it's a fruit beer, but even fruit beers should have some beer characteristics. I think you could give this to someone and tell them it is soda and they would believe you. It would pair well with blueberry, grape, or blackberry pie and could be interesting to cook with. But as far as "beer" goes, you can barely say this is a beer.

1.5/5  rDev -40.9%

2.31/5  rDev -9.1%

Bought a 12oz bottle at a local shop.

A: Pours a deep garnet/ almost puple into the glass. The head is thin and fades quickly.

S: Fruity. Nothing but fruit.

T: Too heavy on the berries. Totally dominated by the berries. Nothing but berries.

M: Too thick and syrupy. Hard to drink

O: Not impressed. It did remind me on my high school days when we would take blackberry brandy with us on ski trips. I am not likely to buy again.

1.83/5  rDev -28%

Dark purple with a thin light purple fizzy head which fades quickly leaving a spotty lace. Smells like artificial blackberries, and is overly sweet.

Tastes like overly sweet fake blackberries. There is no bitterness for balance. Has a bit of a cough syrup taste. What were they thinking?

Syrupy with low carbonation and not worth trying again. Not recommended.

2.48/5  rDev -2.4%

A: dark red wine color, single-finger head that lasts quite a while. some lacing.
S: mild fruitiness, but not overwhelming
T: Very disappointing - reminded me of an overly sweet cough syrup. A far cry from a good Belgian lambic.
M: Thick, syrupy, some fizziness from the carbonation
O: I love fruit beers and love blackberries, but won't be having this one again - just too sweet and syrupy. Ended up pouring 2/3 of it down the drain.

3.5/5  rDev +37.8%

2.45/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a clear dark brown with a thick, though not persistent, tan head. Blackberry dominates the aroma - and I love blackberries, but it doesn’t really smell like a beer. Flavor is pleasant, sweet and fruity - but not really like a beer. Might as well be fruit juice - doesn’t quite taste like wine or cider, either. Texture is smooth and fizzy, but body leaves something to be desired. I don’t believe I’ll be looking for its "sister" beers.

A - dark purple with a thin, fizzy layer of purple head that fades quickly

S - blackberries

T - sweet, tart blackberries

M - medium bodied, crisp

This is definitely more juice than beer. For those who like blackberries this might be a good offering, but for a fan of beer this is a miss.

3.75/5  rDev +47.6%

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%

2.75/5  rDev +8.3%

1.98/5  rDev -22%

This one pours like a deep dark glass of grape juice ruby tinted light comes through, head is a purple tinted color with fine lacing that becomes speckled as it sits for a bit. Aroma has tart vinous berry notes, I can't tell you it's blackberry from any other berry infused product out there. However, the flavor is horrible literally soaked with alcohol and tart/sweet gag inducing foulness. This beer is not what I want in any terms of the word beer, it lacks anything refreshing. Another four loko wannabe, 8 percent alcohol by volume just doesn't do it for me. When the only flavors I can give you are watery berry, alcohol, and carbonation. Okay it's straight cough syrup in a bottle burns with alcohol and generic berry fruit. Carbonation and mouthfeel is a bit rougher in this one. I will officially never drink any beer from this series again.

Shadow's Wild Black from Anheuser-Busch