Shock Top End Of The World Midnight Wheat | Anheuser-Busch

Shock Top End Of The World Midnight WheatShock Top End Of The World Midnight Wheat
Liked This Beer

3.1

3.25/5  rDev +5.9%

2.5/5  rDev -18.6%

2.87/5  rDev -6.5%

I survived the End of the World on Friday and instead of a lousy t-shirt, I got a bottle of beer!

From the bottle: "Ale brewed with Midnight Wheat, Chocolate Malt, Chili and spice."; "To serve, pour down the side of the glass until 1/2 inch is left in the bottle. Swirl the remaining beer and pour to produce a rich, thick collar of foam. Enjoy!"

Sheesh! Now they are giving us directions on how to pour their beer ... I am a) astounded and b) disinterested. My pour created a nice two-finger cap of dense, rocky light-tan head with decent retention. Color was a murky brownish-amber, kind of like turbid river water. Nose held some promise with notes of chocolate and some kind of spice. I do not know that I would have guessed "Chili", but there was a spiciness to the nose. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the flavors were very muted. Yes, I perceived both chocolate and spice, but nowhere near the level of yesterday's Theobroma or even Organic Chocolate. Finish was semi-dry and mildly spicy, but the whole thing lacked Oomph! It just did not seem an appropriate way to see the world end.

2.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Shock Top End of the World Midnight Wheat pours to a cloudy, mahogany color with a nose that emphasizes a little bit of chocolate, some vanilla, and some toffee. There is a good level of foam on this beer if the pour is aggressive enough and it maintains its shape for a good amount of time.

This beer has a taste that combines flavors of chocolate malt, bread, and a little bit of citrus up front, with a small amount of spice. The beer is medium bodied and it finishes with a certain degree of spice that lingers for only a short amount of time.

Shock Top End of the World Midnight Wheat seems similar to other Shock Top products in many ways. Like the others, it does have a few good qualities, but also like the others, it seems a tad lacking overall- almost a teaser product in many ways. I like the chocolate malt flavors, but I still wish there was more and I could barely detect any chili. Only when I really searched for the chili component did I find it, in the finish, and it was rather tame.

Shock Top End of the World Midnight Wheat seems slightly better than other Shock Top products thanks to the slightly fuller body, but it is still lacking in a few areas. It may not be the end of the world, but those who sample this beer may very well hope for more end of the world predictions and, along with them, better beer products that use this theme.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.25/5  rDev +5.9%

2.25/5  rDev -26.7%

2.75/5  rDev -10.4%

3.53/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy dark brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of wheat and spices. Taste is spicy, wheat, a touch of chocolate, different and unique. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

3.8/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

It took me three bottles of this stuff for me to figure out if I liked it enough to buy again. I think I will. I like the spiciness of it, and the slight taste of chili, even though I'd like it even more if those flavors were a little stronger. The chocolate maltiness is nice, too, and overall this is a pretty snappy, tasty beer. I'm not all that familiar with the Shock Top Family... I mean, I know it's an Anheuser-Busch product... I just mean I haven't tried them all and this is the first one I've reviewed. Where was I? Oh yeah, so anyway, it's not bad. In fact, it's actually pretty good, especially if you remember to swirl the beer around a little in the bottle when there's about an inch left in it, before pouring it all into your glass. That not only gives you a little extra head, but it definitely helps bring out more of the spicy flavor in the wheat sediment at the bottom of the bottle. So yeah, I'd recommend it. Not extremely good or anything, but better than average, and definitely impressive for AB/InBev.

Shock Top End Of The World Midnight Wheat from Anheuser-Busch