Budweiser & Clamato Chelada Picante | Anheuser-Busch

anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by mactrail on 11-16-2012

3.51/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a pinkish red color with a three finger head of white foamy dying bubbles.

Smell is of a tomato mettalic lager scent.

Taste is of sour tomatoes with some lime and a bit of lager chasing it.

Mouth is leaning towards a medium platform with a wet finish.

They already had this one, as far as the category goes, wrapped up with the Bud Chelada, so why did they screw with it? Probably because they could, and they did. In my opinion this is one nasty red beer while the original Bud Chelada takes the cake for the pre mixed Chelada category. So why mess with it? I am seriously still lost on the reason why they would offer something like this.

1.05/5  rDev -65.6%

3.57/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I let curiosity get the better of me on this one. I do, however, like Clamato, so figured that flavour would be prominent in this beer.

A: Hazy pink or salmon in colour, topped with a surprising amount of head--a solid 2 fingers of fizzly foam which receded to a mere ring of lace in short time.

S + T: As expected, the nose is essentially little more than Clamato--tomato juice and that bit of clam that sets it apart from others. The flavour is much the same, though it is quite light as compared to regular Clamato juice. Little flavour of beer makes it through, though a little hint is in there. The lime is quite modest, and just adds a touch of citrus--mostly noticed toward the finish. The spicy bite on the finish is kind of nice.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty decent. It has a crisp carbonation and is quite refreshing. It might be a little on the light side as far as body goes, but that's not particularly surprising.

O: Surprisingly, I don't mind this at all. I went in with a predisposition to feel poorly about it, but it is something I could realistically see myself drinking again. It might not be the choice purchase, but wouldn't be turned down if offered at a gathering and if there were a choice between lighter lagers and this was an option, it would be fairly solid. This could serve fairly well as a complementary beverage to a dinner when not looking for a fancy pairing.

4.44/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.31/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.24/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 25 OZ can into a pint glass. The appearance is a reddish pink will a small pink head. The aroma is a faint tomato and spice smell, sort of like tomato soup. The taste is a watered down carbonated tomato soup with some spice.

2.59/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

4.78/5  rDev +56.7%

This is the best mixed beer to ever hit my lips. Because this is a bloody Mary with beer instead of vodka it is good for breakfast or throughout the whole day. I find these easier to drink in the morning than coffee, I prefer them before work over a redbull/monster, and living in California, I find these to be a perfect light summer beverage over a heavy ale. It's refreshing, light, and u can throw a few back without being incoherent. Micheoladas are taking over!

2.22/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

3.73/5  rDev +22.3%

A friend convinced me to give this a try last night. Against my better judgement, I agreed. I bought a 25oz can along with a 30-pack of MHL. After I got it home I was still wondering if I had made a mistake. I was in for a surprise!

I didn't bother pouring this into a glass. I figured that this wasn't the sort of thing that required visual inspection. So, I went all Redneck, and drank straight from the can. Hell, I didn't even take it out of the brown paper "wino bag!"

I did, however, smell it first. I mean, seriously? Who doesn't smell their food before they eat, right? Anyway, my olfactory senses were assaulted with the heavenly aroma of Spicy V8 with just a hint of beer and lime. Interesting, but not unpleasant.

This is where it got interesting. The first sip almost left me speechless! The flavors of Spicy V8, lime juice, and celery salt were dominate, but there was a subtle malt sweetness in the back ground that, oddly, complimented everything else. Did I really just enjoy this weird thing?

Truthfully, this was a meal all by itself. Full flavored with just enough carbonation from the Bud to prevented it from being a V8 clone. Very filling. 25oz went a very long way.

I liked it. Not gonna lie. This won't be part of any "regular" rotation of mine, but I certainly will buy this again when I want something different. Finally! An A-B product I like!

2.5/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I can taste a million days of life in this..

3.44/5  rDev +12.8%

I remember when my dad used to mix Clamato with Coors Light so I naturally wanted to try this concoction when I saw it. Not bad, not bad.

If you can pull your beer snob head out of your ass for a moment, you'll see that this beer goes well with a nice Sunday barbeque.

Despite being over 5%, it tastes very light like most domestics. It has a light sweet Clamato taste and smell, with a slight bitter after bite.

The best breakfast beverage ever!!!!

4.24/5  rDev +39%

I decided to do a review of this, since I do enjoy it.

I think many of the reviews here have been unfair. We see people who are writing reviews that clearly came in not enjoying red beers in the first place, or they are anti-Budweiser products or anti-can products. The thing that bothers me is, why did they even write a review in the first place?

I like red beer. If you are not a fan of clamato, a blood mary, or a bloody ceasar, you already know you will not like this beer.

I enjoy making my own homemade red beer. So I am a large fan of red beers, which is just usually making a bloody mary(In this case a bloody ceasar) with beer.

Someone said the picante version is not much of a step up from the original Cheladas Budweiser makes. I wholeheartedly disagree. I do not enjoy the original Budweiser ones that came out, and this is a large improvement. So large, that I got tired of making my own and decided to just stick with this.

I'll focus on taste instead of worrying about describing the smell and feel, as I'm not reviewing a craft beer here, this is more of a cocktail beer.

Taste: It taste great. It isn't as good as homemade, but for the convenience, it is top notch. It tastes of lime, clamato, and from there they added some kind of picante sauce, as it is much bolder then their first offerings, and it has a nice spicy kick.

For fans of red beers, this is the best you're going to get. It surpasses the Modelo chelada in spaces. If you enjoy drinking red beer at your favorite Mexican restaurant, this will not be as good but it is more than sufficient. It is a great red beer.

Beers like Budweiser are ideal for making red beers, because they do not dominate the flavor. This is a cocktail beer, and it is something more like a bloody mary, with a very thin mouthfeel.

If you want to give a chelada a try, I highly recommend this one. If you see the one without the Picante logo, I highly recommend not getting it. I think those are terrible, and this is a large step up.

2.5/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I love this beer. I started out drinking Budlight with Clamato, but I now prefer this one because it has a more rich flavor. I was never a beer drinker, but a friend turned me on to this. I just wish it came in smaller cans an could be bough by the case. 2.99 a can is very expensive.
We've also tried adding V8 and Vodka to it, not bad.

3.17/5  rDev +3.9%

Despite my love for the purist utopia of craft beer, I find my love for Bloody Marys tugging at me. Thus, I shamelessly admit I love Budweiser & Clamato

2.16/5  rDev -29.2%