Budweiser Black Crown

From:
Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Poor
Budweiser Black CrownBudweiser Black Crown
Notes:
View: Beers
Reviews: 219 | Ratings: 1,139 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

Of course as soon as I find the perfect beer that is like a sweet refreshing nectar at the end of the day, they take it off the shelf and stop making it. This beer was so good... Yet they will stock some nasty *ss bud platinum to the ceiling and let it collect dust... Please oh please bring this back. I beg like on my knees beg and pray that they would start brewing this again... Sincerely... Brett

I miss this beer so much, I've tried to craft it myself, nothing comes close to that bold Carmel flavor that Budweiser produced. I wish it would come back.

2.68/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is another beer that I had a few years ago & since Budweiser is a popular brand I decided to give it a review. It actually drank a like a pretty good amber lager, no complaints there. Cheers! C

2.83/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This was marketed as a premium beer, like a Red Wolf/Dog 2.0 of sorts. Pours like a color and consistency of Killian's that thin bodied but amber/red in color appearance with a big at first but settling into a 1/5" off white head. Aroma of that Killians's lager vibe.

On the one hand, it doesn't get bogged down in that heavy earthy red malt feel and aftertaste, but on the other, its like it had food coloring added to it, partially due to the seemingly excessive carbonation that accompanied the beer. Weird they basically took the same branding for this beer and crossed it over to bud light platinum. I dunno were they trying to go for some of the Yuengling/Killian's market share or what, but I don't think it worked out for them.

3.57/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I tried it. Not bad. If I want a red lager, I like Yeungling better, but it is a fair contendr. Where the hell to find it here and now, I don't know.

3.75/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The finalist of the AB brewery contest for the best craft brew within their company domain. It's good ...NOT poor for cryin' out loud you hop snobs!

2.9/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

To me initially, this felt, smelled, tasted, and almost looked like regular old Budweiser. The flavor and overall body to this beer was as if the company took their flagship red labeled, watery goodness that people so love and added a bit of a darker flavor, though I must say it is a very good and enjoyable flavor, despite the lack of quality the beer seems to have, I'd be lying if I said it was bad. I don't know what Anheuser did, but they pulled off a slightly watery, quality taste that was actually...well....enjoyable, would definitely get this beer again, and too boot a good ABV.

3.92/5  rDev +43.1%

First of all, I used to be into the "Hoppy" Micro's, Starting back when the Micro brews took off (Around 99)
My favorite for years was Victory Hopdevil. Now I'm 54 and about 7 years ago I must have drank so much of the hoppy micros that I became allergic to strong hop beer(Really sucks because I still love the taste) But the next days after effect is not worth me drinking it anymore. The only Micro I can still drink (And has been one of my favs since Y2k) Is Rouge Dead guy. I know, It has hops but it has more of a malty Caramel flavor and for some reason, I do not get near the discomfort the next day from it that say, Hopdevil would cause. (I'm talking serious "Feeling like crap" side effects. But if I drink a LOT of dead guy in one night I still will have a little bit of discomfort the next day. About 7-9 though and I'm ok.
I'm not and never have been a Bud/Miller/Coors etc... guy. But since this allergy, I have no choice if I'm say, At a concert or party and drinking beer for hours. Anyhow, This Black crown tastes great to me and I am not hungover or left with allergic reations the next day. So, All that said (I felt I had to explain why I like it, Since I KNOW good Micros) I give this a 4.
It's really about the best I can drink anymore and still function the next day. I still splurge on Dead guy, but I have to be careful I don't over do it. This beer really is not as bad as lots of people are saying. It's NOT a micro and you cannot compare it to one. Compared to Bud?? Blows it away. So, If anyone else out there is having the same problems as me, Try it! Not bad at all!

3.32/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours an amber, slight red hue. Foam head quickly dissipated in pint glass.
Aroma was minimal, hard to pick out specific smells. Slight grassy.
Taste, minimal hop bite, malts come thru well,but does not longer tongue. Finishes clean.
Not overly heavy at all, easily a session beer. A heavier bud, but without the over carb.
Not a bad beer,not a great beer. I'm not slamming this just because Bud makes it.
When it's on sale, I'll buy this, but not at $8 a 6.

3.04/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Black Crown pours a nice jewel amber color, 30% opaque, with a 3 finger head that fizzles out and pops to a small creamy ring that stays permanent. 3.75

Aromas of stale caramel malts and signature Budweiser funk are there, with a touch of honey Ricola. 3.0

Delicious baked grain flavor, although I must say this easily tastes better from the bottle. Some musky, dirty grain finishes out the profile, with a faint bitterness. 3.0

Feel is chalky and pasty, super carbonated, and ends wet. 3.0

Overall, a no-brainer, no-thinker beer best drank from the bottle. Once it's poured out and analyzed, it's much less fun. Twist off and guzzle for best results. 3.25

3.05/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bud that's been to the gym.

Thus said in levity, about things made from barley bere. Ok, yeah, this is a bigger version of Bud. Apparently designed before they figured out it's more profitable to buy an actual craft brewery than try imitate one under the Bud umbrella. A bigger version of Bud, more flavor, body, hops, actually headed in the right direction, just not quite getting there. My Bud drinking friends like it (I gave them some to try out) and would buy it if it cost less.

If I'm gonna step up in price I'm also gonna step up from Bud.

2.57/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a golden honey color with a half finger head that dies in minutes, very carbonated though.
Smells like apples, and honey, and malts, nothing else.
Taste follows closely, but more honey and malt, with some apple flavoring.
Mouthfeel is sticky, and viscous.
Overall, not bad, if all budweiser tasted like this, it wouldn't be terrible, but at 7.50 a sizer I can't recommend this over yuengling, or even pbr, for that matter.

3.92/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Beer is medium amber and had a very thin white head that disappeared rather quickly. The beer has lots of visible carbonation. The beer surprisingly smells pretty good. There is a bready/biscuit like aroma with then a mild alcohol scent. There is a little musty and metallic smell to it. The taste is similar to the nose. A bready malt flavor, mild alcohol, and a little fruity flavor hidden in there. It is a little watered down but the style tends to be very mild flavored. The beer has a very short finished and is very watery with a little bit of bubbles from the carbonation.

2.87/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Enjoyed from the 12 oz bottle in a snifter thanks to a friend at work----Thanks Kevin
This decent lager pours a clear brass color with a moderate head of white foam that settles to a thin ring, thin layer, and light lacing. Nose of sweet malts and herbal hops....very light except for the malt. Flavors exceed the nose with balanced sweet grains and malt on all sides and a crisp herbal hop note on the rear that finishes clean, lightly sweet, and refreshing. Very good mouth feel, good carbonation to keep it lively. Being objective this is a quality easy drinking session brew that would work just fine at a baseball game or the next barbecue. While there are so many choices out there in the craft beer scene it is not that bad to enjoy a decent lager for what it is.

Cheers

3.17/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Clear, dull brass in color. Weak fizzy whitish head. Light toast, caramel, alcohol, and touch of lemon on the nose. Palate is very malt-forward compared to just plain old Budweiser, as expected. What do I mean by that? Toastiness and caramel sweetness, almost chocolate. Interesting. Alcohol shines through as well, which depending on your preferences could be a good thing or a bad thing. But one thing is certain, it's different from other Budweiser offerings, and in my opinion, better. Very lightly hopped, herbal to leafy, not really bitter. Fuller end of medium-bodied, somewhat thin when settled, but sudsy effervescence makes up for that.

2.78/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer reminds me of Bud Light Platinum, only with a much maltier taste. I'm usually a big fan of malty stuff, but this did not taste too great in the first place, I felt that it was overly-carbonated and it wasn't that smooth to drink. I would much rather a regular Budweiser over this.

2.24/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Darker gold and slightly maltier than Bud, aroma is slightly funky, sour musty barnyard. Taste isn’t much better not horrible but not great either. mostly malt. More funk on the palate at the finish.

3.32/5  rDev +21.2%

When this first came out i remember it being bolder. Now however i can only find it in a six pack of tall cans. It tastes slightly watered down like all bud does now days. Its not bad, but its tastes very light and forgettable. If you want something slightly better and darker than regular bud this is your brew, which is a shame because when i first had it it was a solid 5

2.87/5  rDev +4.7%

I have no aversion to reasonably priced wine such as Mondavi's Private Selection. Yes, the Mondavi family sold out to a big corporation. My cars also were built by big corporations, and my house, and my insurance is from them, and my food is from them, and where I buy beer is from a big corporation, and also groceries. My bank is one of the biggest of all, and so is my brokerage. In short, I oppose neither capitalism nor the corporate structure. To this day, I'll drink a Budweiser heavy any time it's around and there's nothing better (including the Mexican imports or a skunky Heineken). I don't mind large corporations, if they deliver the best quality at the best price.

Indeed, I had a Budweiser on Saturday. Although Inbev has cut some of the most stringent requirements of the Busch family - such as whole grains of rice - I notice nothing different about Budweiser beer since Inbev took over from the family that started A-B. Regular Budweiser is absurdly pale and clear. My little kid mentioned he could see my whole hand through the glass when I was holding the beer mug at Coco's. The head has no chance at all, foaming up briefly and calling it quits. The carbonation level is absurd, with big fat bubbles streaming wildly the entire time. The smell and taste are so light that they are closer to nothing than to something. There's a smell, and it's pleasant, but barely detectable. Same for the taste. The feel is purely water.

Black Crown is a huge contrast to regular Budweiser. Anyone saying it's the same, must not have had Budweiser heavy in years. It's radically different. This is not exactly a regular macro beer at all. This is Budweiser Brewery's attempt at craft.

The color is a deep amber. This deep color has gravitas, suggesting beer with substance. The head foams up abundantly, and retains shockingly well for a Budweiser. The head hardly retains at all compared to a craft lager, though. The bubbles are small and serious, proclaiming the presence of beer, not Budsaki. Lacing? No. What do you think this is, a Boston Lager?

The aroma of Black Crown is promising. I mean, it has a detectable aroma. I checked the born-on date (Inbev has not corrupted the Busch family obsession with freshness) and got a 12-pack made within 2 months in a sealed box. In this fresh state, Black Crown has the distinctive Budweiser aroma, but instead of damped down to 2 it's cranked up to 6. It's a distinctive hops aroma, I think, with a flowery, grassy quality. Underneath, the malt lets itself be known. Yes, Black Crown has a malt backbone that you can detect in the aroma.

Initially, the taste of Black Crown is a revelation. Wow. The pleasant flavor of Budweiser is turned way up. The faint flavor that's buried within the overall nothingness of Budweiser is fully present. At first, it's a tremendously appealing flavor. However, at full strength this one-note flavor quickly wears thin. A hyper-Budweiser flavor only takes things so far. I mean, it's cool to experience in one 12-pack in my life time, and it's not a bad flavor. It's just that Black Crown completely lacks the subtle complexity and nuance of, for example, Samuel Adams Boston Lager or Stone Pale Ale 2.0. Even a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which has never been one of my favorite pale ales, offers more of a complex experience. Black Crown is just too much of that floral and grassy Budweiser flavor we all know, too much of the time, and without deeper qualities. The Busch family (deposed by Inbev) way back in the 19th century got it right when they made Budweiser so light, in a crude approximation of pilsner beers that Augustus Busch sampled in Germanic nations. The flavor actually works best when it is as light as in their original. Still, it's fully flavored and pleasant, unless it overwhelms you and makes you barf.

Seriously, this full-on Budweiser flavor could overwhelm and gag . . . but it doesn't - not quite. There's a suggestion it could happen.

The feel is a big upgrade for Budweiser. This beer is a full-bodied lager. The feel is very good, aside from the way the beer quickly goes flat. The ABV of 6 helps a lot, but much of it is from the malt. It's a full and very enjoyable feel. The quick speed at which the beer goes flat suggests A-B attempted to make a strong break from Budweiser's absurdly high carbonation. At the same time, high quality craft beers don't fall flat like Black Crown. Some sort of cheapness in ingredients or process is sneaking under that Crown.

Black Crown is good. Is it as good as, for example, Boston Lager or Stone Pale Ale 2.0? Nope. They offer nuanced and subtle tastes. Is Boston Lager worth the extra money? Sure, most of the time. If I want that trademark Budweiser aroma and flavor in superabundance, I know where to find it.

2.87/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured into a glass. A nice head although it fades quickly. The smell is actually pleasant, a light malty aroma. The flavor is not spectacular but unlike its "bud" cousins its actually palletable and i find myself enjoying it and not chugging. Malty and slightly hoppy, the taste lacks the watered down effect of other big brews. Overall a solid beer. Would much rather drink this then budweiser. Its no craft brew but i definatly reccomend this as its refreshing and not too expensive.

1.82/5  rDev -33.6%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass

A: First off, this beer looks really light, thin, watery, and clear. has a nice amount of carbonation streaming, bright white head, little head retention after a minute or so, little bit of lacing.

A: Malts, grains, more musty than anything, not good.

T: Slight malts, grainy, earthy flavors, finishes very musty, strong aftertaste.

M: Lots of carbonation, thin, watery, refreshing on the palate.

O: Black Crown actually started out well on the flavor, crisp, refreshing but it finishes horrible. It has a strong musty aftertaste that reminds of old stale beer. It's thin, watery, but it is refreshing and I could see why someone might drink a whole bunch of these on a hot day. It just doesn't pack enough flavor to make it enjoyable.

1.68/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Surprisingly not undrinkable. Still has that typical Budweiser disgustingness to it overall, but this is a little more fleshed out, with a bready kick to it that appears perhaps only for a second or two, but is there nonetheless. This is the first "new" Bud product I've sampled in many years, possibly well over a decade. I won't ever do it again, but it was an interesting experiment.

3.3/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I have low expectations for Anheuser-Busch products. While this is a simple tasting beer that would by no means interest the average craft beer drinker it does greatly exceed my expectations going to sampling it.

2.89/5  rDev +5.5%

Almost, but not quite. Much better than most AB attempts, especially those in Bud family, but I think this beer is supposed to be compared to some of the craft stuff, and is priced that way too. That being said, it's not great. I would much rather spend my $$$ on many other beers.

3.65/5  rDev +33.2%

I actually really enjoyed this to my surprise. Has a sweet but not overbearing quality and is very smooth. I could drink these all day. Basically no hop bite but an interesting beer if you want something you don't need to disect.

Budweiser Black Crown from Anheuser-Busch