Budweiser Black Crown | Anheuser-Busch

Added by Damian74 on 01-01-2013

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,114 |  Reviews: 209
3.92/5  rDev +43.6%

First of all, I used to be into the "Hoppy" Micro's, Starting back when the Micro brews took off (Around 99)
My favorite for years was Victory Hopdevil. Now I'm 54 and about 7 years ago I must have drank so much of the hoppy micros that I became allergic to strong hop beer(Really sucks because I still love the taste) But the next days after effect is not worth me drinking it anymore. The only Micro I can still drink (And has been one of my favs since Y2k) Is Rouge Dead guy. I know, It has hops but it has more of a malty Caramel flavor and for some reason, I do not get near the discomfort the next day from it that say, Hopdevil would cause. (I'm talking serious "Feeling like crap" side effects. But if I drink a LOT of dead guy in one night I still will have a little bit of discomfort the next day. About 7-9 though and I'm ok.
I'm not and never have been a Bud/Miller/Coors etc... guy. But since this allergy, I have no choice if I'm say, At a concert or party and drinking beer for hours. Anyhow, This Black crown tastes great to me and I am not hungover or left with allergic reations the next day. So, All that said (I felt I had to explain why I like it, Since I KNOW good Micros) I give this a 4.
It's really about the best I can drink anymore and still function the next day. I still splurge on Dead guy, but I have to be careful I don't over do it. This beer really is not as bad as lots of people are saying. It's NOT a micro and you cannot compare it to one. Compared to Bud?? Blows it away. So, If anyone else out there is having the same problems as me, Try it! Not bad at all!

3.19/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

1.75/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

3.32/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours an amber, slight red hue. Foam head quickly dissipated in pint glass.
Aroma was minimal, hard to pick out specific smells. Slight grassy.
Taste, minimal hop bite, malts come thru well,but does not longer tongue. Finishes clean.
Not overly heavy at all, easily a session beer. A heavier bud, but without the over carb.
Not a bad beer,not a great beer. I'm not slamming this just because Bud makes it.
When it's on sale, I'll buy this, but not at $8 a 6.

2.71/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.7/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.48/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

3.04/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Black Crown pours a nice jewel amber color, 30% opaque, with a 3 finger head that fizzles out and pops to a small creamy ring that stays permanent. 3.75

Aromas of stale caramel malts and signature Budweiser funk are there, with a touch of honey Ricola. 3.0

Delicious baked grain flavor, although I must say this easily tastes better from the bottle. Some musky, dirty grain finishes out the profile, with a faint bitterness. 3.0

Feel is chalky and pasty, super carbonated, and ends wet. 3.0

Overall, a no-brainer, no-thinker beer best drank from the bottle. Once it's poured out and analyzed, it's much less fun. Twist off and guzzle for best results. 3.25

2.69/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.49/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.05/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bud that's been to the gym.

Thus said in levity, about things made from barley bere. Ok, yeah, this is a bigger version of Bud. Apparently designed before they figured out it's more profitable to buy an actual craft brewery than try imitate one under the Bud umbrella. A bigger version of Bud, more flavor, body, hops, actually headed in the right direction, just not quite getting there. My Bud drinking friends like it (I gave them some to try out) and would buy it if it cost less.

If I'm gonna step up in price I'm also gonna step up from Bud.

2.57/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a golden honey color with a half finger head that dies in minutes, very carbonated though.
Smells like apples, and honey, and malts, nothing else.
Taste follows closely, but more honey and malt, with some apple flavoring.
Mouthfeel is sticky, and viscous.
Overall, not bad, if all budweiser tasted like this, it wouldn't be terrible, but at 7.50 a sizer I can't recommend this over yuengling, or even pbr, for that matter.

3.92/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Beer is medium amber and had a very thin white head that disappeared rather quickly. The beer has lots of visible carbonation. The beer surprisingly smells pretty good. There is a bready/biscuit like aroma with then a mild alcohol scent. There is a little musty and metallic smell to it. The taste is similar to the nose. A bready malt flavor, mild alcohol, and a little fruity flavor hidden in there. It is a little watered down but the style tends to be very mild flavored. The beer has a very short finished and is very watery with a little bit of bubbles from the carbonation.

2.5/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.88/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.53/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.85/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.87/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Enjoyed from the 12 oz bottle in a snifter thanks to a friend at work----Thanks Kevin
This decent lager pours a clear brass color with a moderate head of white foam that settles to a thin ring, thin layer, and light lacing. Nose of sweet malts and herbal hops....very light except for the malt. Flavors exceed the nose with balanced sweet grains and malt on all sides and a crisp herbal hop note on the rear that finishes clean, lightly sweet, and refreshing. Very good mouth feel, good carbonation to keep it lively. Being objective this is a quality easy drinking session brew that would work just fine at a baseball game or the next barbecue. While there are so many choices out there in the craft beer scene it is not that bad to enjoy a decent lager for what it is.

Cheers

1.67/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

2.48/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.52/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.11/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.33/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Budweiser Black Crown from Anheuser-Busch