Budweiser Black Crown | Anheuser-Busch

Added by Damian74 on 01-01-2013

Ratings: 1,110 |  Reviews: 208

3.5/5  rDev +23.7%

1.9/5  rDev -32.9%

Dateline: August 5th, 2014. Locale: Norcross, GA. Available beer: Almost None. Available Store: Racetrac. Personal Status: Bloody Exhausted. Beer Found: 25 oz. pounder can of Bud Black Crown. And I'm gonna drink it, because I'm fucking punchy.

Look: Nice sinister black can yields stuff that's more yellow than amber. Massive amounts of carbonation. Vessel: Wingate paper cup. Ribbed, even. Nose: I'd have to snort this off a mirror or someone's ass to get a scent. Grain? Not offensive, or mediocre. Just not there.

Beer Target Verdict: Black Crown isn't good. I have nothing against Bud: if they started bottling Hunahpu's in pounder cans, I'd fill up their coffers with my frayed dolla bills. But I know Huna & Black Crown, you're no Huna. Taste: not good. Not one-sip-and-hurl-the-can-outta-the-window bad, but the kind of not good that requires toothpaste soon. Grainy, with that aftertaste that I believe Bud has patented (you know, tired, spent grain & old, faint hops), mild sweetness, cream corn. Unfortunately, nothing out of the ordinary for the brewer & as much as I thought I was going to power through this experience, it ain't gonna happen.

In Sum: Four ounces in, count me out. Not undrinkable, but I'd have to be parched or dying of thirst to have this one again. Funny, I had a Miller High Life not long ago (which inspired me to pick this up) & it wasn't so bad. End Game: Sink.

4.5/5  rDev +59%

2.32/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.68/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dull soft malt. Watery. A little more bold than standard Am. lagers.
One inch white cap covers a dark gold to amber clear body with some action.
A grainy malt character with a notable drying finish. Some hop flavors that blend adequately initially, but eventually become not very enjoyable. Spritzy and abundant carbonation which is big enough to prevent any apparent smoothness and provides a filling quality.
I like Fortune better than this. This may have a touch of age on it with an Apr 14 date on bottom of can (best by or canning date?). Either way I don't find the flavors all that pleasing putting it towards the bottom of lawn mower beers for me.

1.75/5  rDev -38.2%

2.5/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

poured slightly orange and clear with amber notes, head was ok but quickly fizzed out leaving no lace and no head.

aroma and taste were typically budweiser-ish and not really what you'd expect from anything labeled amber ale. it's like they were trying to made a bud but sell it to people who wanted an amber ale. my advice is that if you want an amber ale, this probably isn't the beer for you. if you want a bud, this bud's for you, but it's quite a stretch calling it an amber.

overall I'm not impressed. although I got this bottle free, I wonder if they had a craft beer price tag on this one. but the thing is, pretending it's craft doesn't turn a bud into a craft beer. not that I am taking anything away from bud: it's not easy to make a nearly colorless, flavorless, crystal clear beer. but that's not going to take anything away from the craft beer market either. craft drinkers will see right through and go back to what they really want when they seek out an amber ale: flavor, aroma, head, lacing, etc, which this really doesn't have.

Budweiser Black Crown from Anheuser-Busch